Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 06:53 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Isbrodsky - have to definitely disagree. It is tough to compare anything currently made with today with vehicles made 50 years ago. Back then designers had a clean sheet for what they thought would sell. Designers today are much more constrained to what they are allowed to do.

All car/truck manufacturers have their good and bad years in terms of design and curb appeal. These days the manufactures are spending big money on the design of their trucks whether it be a lifestyle, work truck or combination thereof. So much so that Ford and GM have decided to forgo building most of their sedans and concentrate on SUV and trucks.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:06 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Isbrodsky - have to definitely disagree. It is tough to compare anything currently made with today with vehicles made 50 years ago. Back then designers had a clean sheet for what they thought would sell. Designers today are much more constrained to what they are allowed to do.

All car/truck manufacturers have their good and bad years in terms of design and curb appeal. These days the manufactures are spending big money on the design of their trucks whether it be a lifestyle, work truck or combination thereof. So much so that Ford and GM have decided to forgo building most of their sedans and concentrate on SUV and trucks.
Yes, and in my opinion all SUV's and trucks are ugly! I am not comparing them with their brothers and sisters, I am comparing them to vehicles that are truly graceful and beautiful. However, "utility" vehicles serve a purpose and people have decided they do not want sedans anymore. On this forum we have a specific purpose for a truck, but I cannot help but wonder what would happen to the popularity of trucks and SUV's if gas were more than $5 per gallon? I still find it hard to believe that Brian will make his choice based on curb appeal...
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #43

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I will have to admit that I am a little dismayed to see Chevrolet forgo the iconic bow tie in favor of spelling out the word "CHEVROLET" on both the grill and tailgate of the new HD trucks. I have to wonder what the thinking was behind this move.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Brian, DON'T ask us for help; ask SuEllyn. We ALL know who controls the pockets and pants in the family. lol "happy wife, happy life"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I will have to admit that I am a little dismayed to see Chevrolet forgo the iconic bow tie in favor of spelling out the word "CHEVROLET" on both the grill and tailgate of the new HD trucks. I have to wonder what the thinking was behind this move.

Brian

I recall my father having a 1969 Chevrolet half-ton. I don't recall any bowtie anywhere, but the big CHEVROLET text across the grill is permanently etched in my mind...no, Dad didn't run over me with the truck; instead, I remember getting my first French lesson when he told me it was Chev-ro-LAY, not Chev-ro-LET.

So I'm thinking that they were thinking "let's go RETRO" with these new trucks.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
You can still get it. However, only on certain trim levels.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #47

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Yes, the High Country still has the Bow Tie, But that model is not acceptable because is does not come in the real red body color. I'm afraid that's a deal breaker for me.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1772.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	360154  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #48
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
In our early years of Airstreaming, we towed Lucy with a pair of 3/4 ton Suburbans with the 6.0 liter gasoline engines. They did and admirable job, and we always found them suitable for the task at hand. In 2011 we decided to try diesel and bought a 2011 Duramax. We kept one of the Suburbans for flatland towing in Florida in the winter.

Going to a Diesel tow vehicle was an epiphany for us. We never realized how marginal our 3/4 ton Suburbans had been. Not only was the upgrade pulling power amazing, but the downgrade performance with the exhaust brake was also quite impressive. I don't think that I would want any gasoline tow vehicle.

I do realize that a Diesel tow vehicle is more expensive to buy and maintain, but it is not necessarily more expensive to own. When we traded our 2011 Duramax in 2017 for our 2018 Duramax, our trade brought $28,500. The 2011 had 136,000 miles on it when traded. I asked the dealer if our 2011 had the gasoline engine, what would it trade for. The answer was $16,000. He said that the $10,000 Diesel option actually appreciates.

Brian
Brian, I think diesel makes sense for you. My previous truck was a first generation Super Duty F350 with 7.3 diesel. I used it traveling the southeast in my job and after
16 years and 190k still retained almost a third of itís value. My current truck is a Ď15 F150 Lariat gas V8 that has been exceptional as both a tow vehicle and a daily drive. Only weaknesses are 2031 payload and 3.31 gearing. Fine for towing our 25 Flying Cloud most of the time but a little slow on ascents & sometimes a bit stressful on descents in the Rockies and steep grades in the Appalachians. Since my truck cannot be dedicated to towing only, gas (with low gearing) make sense for me. My past diesel experience has taught me they donít like short trips and need to be worked. I will miss the nimbleness and economy of the half ton but the newer 3/4 and 1 tons are very comfortable with excellent ride and easy to drive. I look forward to learning your choice as well as upgrading myself! 😆
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #49

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Brian, I think diesel makes sense for you. My previous truck was a first generation Super Duty F350 with 7.3 diesel. I used it traveling the southeast in my job and after
16 years and 190k still retained almost a third of itís value. My current truck is a Ď15 F150 Lariat gas V8 that has been exceptional as both a tow vehicle and a daily drive. Only weaknesses are 2031 payload and 3.31 gearing. Fine for towing our 25 Flying Cloud most of the time but a little slow on ascents & sometimes a bit stressful on descents in the Rockies and steep grades in the Appalachians. Since my truck cannot be dedicated to towing only, gas (with low gearing) make sense for me. My past diesel experience has taught me they donít like short trips and need to be worked. I will miss the nimbleness and economy of the half ton but the newer 3/4 and 1 tons are very comfortable with excellent ride and easy to drive. I look forward to learning your choice as well as upgrading myself! 😆

Since we sold the last of our 2500 Suburbans about a year ago, the Duramax has been our only running vehicle. The Duramaz has done well on grocery runs, but we realize that this is not the best use of a heavy duty Diesel truck. We are about to acquire a local runaround vehicle. We are doing some restoration work on our old Ford convertible. It should be complete and running soon.

Brian
Old 01-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Yes, the High Country still has the Bow Tie, But that model is not acceptable because is does not come in the real red body color. I'm afraid that's a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
The Little Things.

Suggest you really look over The Little Things. As vehicles get more "tech-y", it can sometimes be very frustrating to work the controls of the appendages.

Here are some of the things I notice, especially in newer vehicles

Things like how the radio toggles from AM to FM to Sirius to your phone. How easy is it to change the station? To turn it up or down?

Things like how easy is it to change the temperature on the AC or to switch between defrost and regular mode on the heat. Do you have to go to 2-deep into screen settings to switch off the defrost? Or is there a nice big fat dial to go up/down for the heat?

Things like the clock.

Things like will your laptop fit in the center console? Things like where will you put your purse? Things like are there enough plugs?

Things like does the interior trim reflect in a weird way off the dash onto the window, giving you a headache?

Surely you will find some preferences in this area.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I have a 2015 Ram 3500 long bed crew cab CTD. 46k of 95% towing, and my only problem was a DEF pump failure (which *was* a major pita). I found the difference in price between the 2500 and 3500 was only around $450, and gained 2k lbs more payload. I had a 2000 Dodge 2500 that I loved for 14 years so I do admit a Mopar bias, but the final deciding factor was that only Ram gave me the choice of a manual transmission. My Cummins with the 6 speed stick is a joy to drive and tow with.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #53

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
When I am ready to pull the trigger, I will take a 3/4 ton if the right one can be found in stock. If I end up having to order a truck, I will go with the 1 Ton configuration for the extra payload.

Brian
Old 01-31-2020, 06:31 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
My gosh! The looks of a truck? If you have ever examined a Jaguar E or F type, or many other good-looking vehicles, a truck is just a truck. I get that features, capabilities, and even brand loyalty are decision points, but we have reached a new low saying one truck is uglier than another. They are all ugly! But they do a job...
Larry
I was being facetious :-) But, I do not think trucks and SUVs are ugly. They are not beautiful in the way an Aston Martin is, but I find beauty in something that is designed purposefully. I guess it's the engineer in me :-)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:43 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I put new diesel trucks into the category of fools and their money are soon parted. Wait 10 yrs and buy used based on problems. A new truck these days is a very expensive crap shoot. Do lots of research and find out durability and longevity based on time. Ford V10's and 7.3L, and upgraded 6.0L are good engines. Older Cummings are good engines but the rest of the truck is crap. I don't know about GM but they don't have a reputation for reliability. I am an engineer and do ok but I don't have money for a new truck. I mean if money were not an issue, I would play with the latest toys but many of us don't have the means to buy a $70-80k toy that probably won't last past 10 yrs or 100k miles without major investment just to keep it running. I am of the mind set that if I can't repair it when it breaks then I don't need it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:06 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
FWIW,
Not that it is the deciding factor, but the resale on a Dodge with a Cummins is much better than a Ford or a Chevy.....I was shocked to see what KBB resale was for a 12 yr old 2500 with Cummins, vs a Ford or Chevy Diesel.....The Dodge truck is junk in my opinion, but that motor makes all the difference in the world apparently, when it comes to resale....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #57

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Resale value is not one of my top priorities. I trade pretty often as I am chasing features and reliability. I realize that a new truck can also break down, it's just not as likely. Our main Airstream trips are long (90 days/15,000 miles) and we want a tow vehicle that can do the job comfortably and not cause us any problems. Our 2018 Duramax can do this. We are just looking for more gizmos.

Brian
Old 01-31-2020, 04:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Homosassa , Florida
I have a 2018 almost identical to yours except mine is 2WD. My son just bought a 2020 3500 SRW and I love it. The camera package is really great and the heads up display is also. I usually order my trucks so next one will be a 3500 for the reasons you noted. Good luck.

Jim
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Our main Airstream trips are long (90 days/15,000 miles) and we want a tow vehicle that can do the job comfortably and not cause us any problems. Our 2018 Duramax can do this. We are just looking for more gizmos.
Like you, I like the newer technology they are putting into these trucks. As far as gizmos goes, my recent looking at the 2020/19 models gave me some insight and I would rank the big 3 this way:
  1. GM (Chevy/GMC)
  2. RAM
  3. Ford

The number of cameras, Heads-up display all put GM well ahead of the competition for technology. The others will catchup and maybe even pull ahead but GM has a year, possibly two ahead of the others in the technology department.

Mechanically I didn't find any single one that much better than the other. A glance here, and on brand-specific boards will pretty much tell you every one has issues.

Price wise, with all the bells and whistles run you well above $70K. But my 2015 (fully paid for) trade brought $45K, which lessened the blow. Sounds like you trade more than me so you'll probably get a bit more in your trade. I was shocked at how much I was offered in trade. So while I get the concern about current pricing, it much like the housing market. The days of finding a $50,000 house are over, same is true in the truck market. If you want any options at all, they all will cost you over 50K (and upwards to 80K).
Old 02-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Since no one is addressing the elephant in the room, I will do so! I am talking, of course, about the most subjective aspect; looks!...

+1. Iím on my third Ram CTD (Ď09, Ď12, & Ď18) and I have been happy with every one of them. When the Ď19 was introduced, I was underwhelmed with the look of the front end and itís ďRAMĒ grille so I bought a leftover Ď18 SLT with the more traditional grille. Iím sure the Ď19ís & Ď20ís are great trucks but Iím pretty happy with what I have.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote