Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The Anti - Tesla

This to me looks like a REAL TRUCK and with real world semi truck testing a possibility.

Sorry Tesla. Cyber Truck I’m not feeling the love.Thats my way of saying WTH we’re you thinking with the slanted bed design?

A Badger Hydrogen or battery electric leaves options as the infrastructure expands to support.

Now I’m not drinking the koolaide yet but the auto tech in me finds this an alternative in the next 20 years. Until then A Diesel will tow our trailer

Rivian is also a positive Vehicle

https://nikolamotor.com/press_releas...dger-pickup-73
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Interesting times. It is market disruption on steroids.

Like the numerous automoble startups in the early 20th century, many companies will not survive. I am no good at picking winners, but I will be watching with interest (from the sidelines).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
This to me looks like a REAL TRUCK and with real world semi truck testing a possibility.

Sorry Tesla. Cyber Truck I’m not feeling the love.Thats my way of saying WTH we’re you thinking with the slanted bed design?

A Badger Hydrogen or battery electric leaves options as the infrastructure expands to support.

Now I’m not drinking the koolaide yet but the auto tech in me finds this an alternative in the next 20 years. Until then A Diesel will tow our trailer

Rivian is also a positive Vehicle

https://nikolamotor.com/press_releas...dger-pickup-73
The key figure is 300 miles of range on a non-hydrogen fuel cell. Not enough range. Thus the problem with all EV’s. Of course if the hydrogen fuel cell was a reliable, affordable, and available alternative that would be different.

As with all EVs range is the main issue; especially while towing. As soon as that is solved; bingo, we have a viable alternative. And I’ll be the first to get one. Sort of. If they don’t cost a fortune. If I am still alive.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Who came first - Nikola or Tesla?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Who came first - Nikola or Tesla?
No Mark, Who's on first.

. . . my appologies to Abbott & Costello.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
First of all any vehicle MUST have a towing of min 11,000lb. Second, MUST have a range of min 500-600miles while towing 9,000lb of AS. Third, MUST be able to recharge using my 3400watt propane generator.

I don't care who's on first as long as someone hits a home run. For me at present, at 75 years old the really question is "will I live long enought to play the game!" and the second question is will it be affordable.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Tesla can be charged at the 50 amp connection at RV parks, overnight or about 7 hours. Harley Davison motorcycle shops are putting chargers in also. Tesla works for me. Don’t forget the battery recharges going down hill. 30 amp will take about 33 hours or so.

At the turn of the century horse people said the same thing about gas engine vehicles.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We live in central New Mexico and frequently go to Crested Butte, CO. There is no way to get any electric vehicle from our house to CB. Not a single place to recharge. So diesel vehicles are what we have.
JohnandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
The Tesla Cybertruck looks funny but that is because of the exoskeleton design. It doesn't rely on a frame for strength. It is built with high strength 1/8" stainless steel and the straight folds add to the strength. My guess is that it's overall stronger than a traditional body on frame pickup. Stainless costs a lot more than normal steel but it avoids the cost of having to sent the truck to the paint shop. And you can have any color you want as long as it's silver.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
First of all any vehicle MUST have a towing of min 11,000lb. Second, MUST have a range of min 500-600miles while towing 9,000lb of AS. Third, MUST be able to recharge using my 3400watt propane generator.

I don't care who's on first as long as someone hits a home run. For me at present, at 75 years old the really question is "will I live long enought to play the game!" and the second question is will it be affordable.
Sorry friend we won't make it ( I am your age ).
This electrically driven quest began 140 years ago and hasn't moved much further along. It was a hyped game in its beginning as it is today.
For one thing unless electricity goes all nuclear with Uranium or Thorium the whole exercise is pointless.
Additional EV has to be fully competitive with ICE to be commercially viable.
And in the meantime with a little tweaking the ICE can be on par 100 percent in total emission with the EV.
IMHO the EV will remain nothing more than a rich mans toy.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:

Wow, you are even more strict than I am, and that is saying something. I only require 300 miles with a 6,000 pound Airstream. I do require a 15 minute 90% recharge with standard 240v 50a outlets though. At 65 years old, I have another 10 years on you to wait.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I do require a 15 minute 90% recharge with standard 240v 50a outlets though.
A Model X towing a ~5000lb AS can go ~150 miles between charges. On the newest supercharger it takes ~35-40 minutes to charge to ~90%.

So you start with a "full tank" in the AM, stop after 150 miles to charge and have lunch, and drive another 150 miles. There's your 300 mile travel day.

Plug into the 240V/50A circuit at the campground. By AM you'll have a "full tank" when you leave in the morning.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
If you are in anyway interested in Tesla towing an AS, do a search on this site for ohmman. He has great posts on towing his AS with a Tesla.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:

Most people do not tow with a vehicle, they use it to commute. 300 miles is plenty.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Sorry friend we won't make it ( I am your age ).
This electrically driven quest began 140 years ago and hasn't moved much further along. It was a hyped game in its beginning as it is today.
For one thing unless electricity goes all nuclear with Uranium or Thorium the whole exercise is pointless.
Additional EV has to be fully competitive with ICE to be commercially viable.
And in the meantime with a little tweaking the ICE can be on par 100 percent in total emission with the EV.
IMHO the EV will remain nothing more than a rich mans toy.
Modern EVs have only been around 10-15 years. You will see quite a few in the next 5 years. The brief period in the 20s is about as relevant as mass transit or dirigible aircraft. When I read these threads I’m glad 75 year old people are towing and camping and not working in today’s vehicle engineering groups. My emissions-intact Cummins Dodge runs clean but there’s no way it’s as clean per capita as even a coal power plant that supplies millions and millions of people.

The emissions arguments fall 100% in two camps and not based in fact on either side. All vehicle travel creates emissions of one kind or another and most people don’t have a clue except what they see in internet memes. All I care about is all forms of energy and vehicle power create jobs and I want all we can get.

Fact is a robust towing vehicle may not ever be a good commuting vehicle and no one cares. People seriously into towing and pulling will have a nice big truck for that, and if they still work they will have a nice SUV for going to work. Like it (or believe it) or not there is significant change taking place in the global auto industry. There will probably be a mix of vehicles on the road for quite awhile So I’m not worried about getting fuel for the Cummins but I’m guessing in 3-4 years I will have a good EV option for work. That’s based on development I see in the industry, not internet memes.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
A Model X towing a ~5000lb AS can go ~150 miles between charges. On the newest supercharger it takes ~35-40 minutes to charge to ~90%.

So you start with a "full tank" in the AM, stop after 150 miles to charge and have lunch, and drive another 150 miles. There's your 300 mile travel day.

Plug into the 240V/50A circuit at the campground. By AM you'll have a "full tank" when you leave in the morning.
You misunderstand me. I need a 300 mile range on a single, full, charge, then a 15 minute recharge to 90%. I occasionally drive between 500 and 600 miles in a day when going cross country. Going 300 miles then recharging in 15 minutes will allow me to keep doing that. Stopping every 150 miles for a 35 to 40 minute recharge won't cut it.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
wait for the hydrogen /battery combo vehicles to come out.
some models plan to be release in 2021/22

they charge the hydrogen as fast as you can pump gas.
plus they are good for the environment as hydrogen is free from the air we breath.
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
wait for the hydrogen /battery combo vehicles to come out.
some models plan to be release in 2021/22

they charge the hydrogen as fast as you can pump gas.
plus they are good for the environment as hydrogen is free from the air we breath.

Whilst I agree that hydrogen powered vehicles will have much lower emissions from the vehicle itself, the hydrogen production, distribution, and storage will have emission consequences.

It’s not free. It takes energy to produce and compress the hydrogen. Economies of scale will help, but it’s overall still a energy-consuming task to make hydrogen useful. The technology exists, but it will take time to scale it up snd build the infrastructure to the point that its useful.

I agree it needs to be done, but you have to be sure it’s a clean process all the way.

Until then, I’ll just keep driving as efficiently as possible with two gasoline hybrids and keep the big truck parked as much as possible.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
It's styling is early "just another generic truck." We're at the point again where there's no way to tell the make or model of any truck with the badges covered. And they all look just alike.

Just like cell phones, PCs, and digital cameras... the demand exists... the technology will improve to the limits of physics. But c'mon... why does everything have to look so vanilla in today's auto world, and especially the truck world? Is there no room left for elegant styling?
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post

In your dreams only. You will be lucky to get 50 percent on a quick charge of an hour or so.
That 50 percent will burn up faster towing .
So now you are draging out the genarator or trying to find an adhock situation to recharge fully.
So I keep asking why anyone with a modicum of common sense would subject themselves to so much needless hassle.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote