Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
I have found that Ford is focusing the use of this hybrid for “job site” activities and not campers. I don’t think they realize there are a lot more campers than there are guys buying this for the construction site.
I think Ford has the right perspective. We recently had a remodel done on our S&B. The power tools, including a table and chop saws, used were battery powered. They had at least 10 battery packs that they rotated thru 2 or 3 chargers. The only thing plugged in was by the painters, they had a heat gun used to speed drying of wall repairs. While on our job, they were able to recharge by plugging in, on a new construction, that won't happen. So for framers and roofers, this will likely be very attractive. I suspect that plumbers and HVAC guys will also be using lots of battery powered tools in the near future.

For camping folks, this will be most attractive to boondockers, and that is a relatively small portion of the total RV community.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
. SWMBO only allows me to buy Toyota vehicles.
Lol ��. My ex wanted me to get a Prius. I fixed that problem.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Hybrid Update

What I have learned from my Ford dealer is that the 7.2KW battery can charge the camper without the gasoline engine running on the truck.

Their understanding is that one would put the truck in essentially "accessory" mode and you would deplete the lithium battery. With the 7.2Kw battery option you could even draw 30amps to run your A/C. Once the battery has become depleted to some level (not sure to what level), the gas engine would start "automagically" and charge that battery. And then at some certain level the gas engine would shut off.

Additionally, all of that set up, starting and stopping, monitoring can be done via your smart phone and you can control the truck that way. If it really works that way, its a huge win for boondocking. In theory my dealership will have these on the lot in a couple of weeks....I plan to look before I order.
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Saint Louis , MO
What's funny is - in their initial Ford new 2021 presentation - they actually showed campers using the generator functionality.

Jeff Radford
2019 Classic 30RB
2023 F350 Platinum
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
What I have learned from my Ford dealer is that the 7.2KW battery can charge the camper without the gasoline engine running on the truck.

Their understanding is that one would put the truck in essentially "accessory" mode and you would deplete the lithium battery. With the 7.2Kw battery option you could even draw 30amps to run your A/C. Once the battery has become depleted to some level (not sure to what level), the gas engine would start "automagically" and charge that battery. And then at some certain level the gas engine would shut off.

Additionally, all of that set up, starting and stopping, monitoring can be done via your smart phone and you can control the truck that way. If it really works that way, its a huge win for boondocking. In theory my dealership will have these on the lot in a couple of weeks....I plan to look before I order.
They're gonna have the 7.2kw versions? I've seen some 2kw options for ATX on the Ford website, but nothing for the 7.2.

Jeff Radford
2019 Classic 30RB
2023 F350 Platinum
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
7.2KW version

In order to get the 7.2Kw version, my understanding is that you need to purchase the hybrid "engine". My plan has been and still is to purchase that engine as it is currently rated at 24 mpg city and highway. No one obviously knows what the mpg will be when towing. We drive approx 30K miles a year so we hope to see a net savings on gas vs expense.

The hybrid/7.2Kw battery is what I am most interested in, in that I have not been a fan of a generator, this truck would allow for me to have a 30amp connection when necessary.

And please, I do understand I could purchase a large generator for less than what the hybrid will cost extra. Just like the idea of a hybrid/generator combo in a truck.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
My personal beef with this concept is having to run the truck's engine just because you need generator power. And, yes, I know that the first little while, it will just draw down the truck's battery.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Bobbo,

I agree with you that having to run the truck's engine is not what I want.

When I look at the 7.2Kw battery at 120 volts that equates to a 60amp battery.

What I dont know, and haven't been able to get a "real" answer from anyone is at what point will the engine start. And can I control it.

My hope is that the engine won't start until the battery gets low (its lithium so it should be able to get down low without damaging it). If the engine starts when the battery gets to 95% capacity and charges it to 100% it would not be what I want. If I have the ability to get it down to 5% before the engine kicks on, that would be preferable.

Also, I am not sure what will happen if I run my A/C via the truck as opposed to using the truck battery just to top of my camper batteries.

I have been talking to everyone, but no one seems to know. My plan is to wait until one shows up at a dealership and test. My camper is in storage, so I will have to figure out how to do that. If there is anyone that is similarly interested and can perform a camper test, (or if you are a Ford engineer and know these answers) please provide us with your insights.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , OR
One thing to keep in mind is the noise level of an idling truck might be lower than that of a generator. I've compared the honda 2200 with the f 150 gas and the honda does, I believe, seem louder at idle. However, the honda was converted to propane and there is virtually no order. The f150 exhaust fumes SEEMED to be very low as well. Not exactly a scientific comparison; I'm not much of a exhaust pipe sniffer...
CRRVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Another minor wrinkle is that, technically, you can’t idle your prime mover in many National Parks for more that 10 minutes (Yellowstone for one). While it is unlikely that a Ranger would cite you, he/she could certainly insist that you shut down, even if it was during “generator hours”.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRVP View Post
One thing to keep in mind is the noise level of an idling truck might be lower than that of a generator. I've compared the honda 2200 with the f 150 gas and the honda does, I believe, seem louder at idle. However, the honda was converted to propane and there is virtually no order. The f150 exhaust fumes SEEMED to be very low as well. Not exactly a scientific comparison; I'm not much of a exhaust pipe sniffer...
I agree on noise level, and hope that it is lower...... I dont know if it will need to idle at a higher RPM if it is charging or trying to keep up with my A/C. I have seen a number of reviews, but really nothing related to connecting it to an RV
Old 11-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Another minor wrinkle is that, technically, you can’t idle your prime mover in many National Parks for more that 10 minutes (Yellowstone for one). While it is unlikely that a Ranger would cite you, he/she could certainly insist that you shut down, even if it was during “generator hours”.
I dont know what will happen if I am running the truck during generator hours. And to be honest, I dont know how much the truck will need to run. To me the heaviest load on the "truck generator" will be running my A/C.

I see my main use as topping off my batteries at the end of the day, or maintaining my batteries while running my heater at night. I am not sure what will happen if I plug the camper into the truck and run my furnace and begin to drain my AS batteries. Will the AS batteries "call" for more power to keep them at 100%? At what point will the truck battery call for the gas engine to charge it up? When it depletes to 99%? or When it depletes to 10%? Will I have the ability to adjust that? No one seems to know.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
Do they make and adaptor to use with airstream?

twist-lock NEMA L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet to 14-50p

looked could not find one
The Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Easy enough to make one for yourself.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Easy enough to make one for yourself.
Ok do you have a diagram or point me to one so i can make it
Old 11-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
That 7.2kw battery looks very promising!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boot View Post
Ok do you have a diagram or point me to one so i can make it
If the L6-20 doesn't have a NEUTRAL pin, you are screwed. However, I don't see Ford putting in an outlet without a NEUTRAL.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
If the L6-20 doesn't have a NEUTRAL pin, you are screwed. However, I don't see Ford putting in an outlet without a NEUTRAL.

finally got a look at the 240 outlet it is a L14-30r makes sense

I do not know why they put the outlet as L6-20 in the media they put out.

thanks for the info
Old 11-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Update

Boot,

That is very impressive..... not being an electrician I am not sure what I am looking at relative to your diagram. I know it will be something I will need in the future.

I have signed up for the Denver area F150 test drive with, in theory, Ford engineers who should be able to answer every question. I will be able to test drive the hybrid on Tuesday 12/1 and get some information as it relates to using the hybrid version for camping.

If you look through this thread you can see I have a number of questions related specifically to the generator and how often the gas engine will need to run. If you have more questions or are interested in something I haven't thought about please either message me or add to this thread. I will ask as many questions as possible and even potentially test the 7.2KW.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:24 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
Jeff

that is BobBo's wiring diagram .

When you go to the test drive can you just verify the 30 amp outlet?
I wonder if they upgraded the muffler and radiator fans to be more quiet?

waiting for them to get to dealers lot to look at them.