Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #41

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by datwyver View Post
I just put down my deposit for the new Rivian SUV to replace my Landcruiser in couple of years (probably before the Tesla truck is available). Looks like it will tow my FC27FBT.

https://products.rivian.com/suv/

We also placed a preorder for a Rivian R1S and sent our deposit. Our youngest son, who was ready to buy a Tesla, did the same.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #42
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Torque of electric truck would be amazing.

This past August we got our Tesla Model 3, which is replacing our VW TDI which VW is buying back for a healthy sum. Over Thanksgiving week we drove 2000 miles round trip to visit my dad. On the way back we did the return trip in one day (three drivers w/ very different sleep schedules).

These are very practical road vehicles - tons of instant torque, quiet and comfortable, and an easy 200+ miles between recharging stops, which were typically 30-40 minutes. We drove between 65 and 75 mph, over mountains, etc. These vehicles require only basic maintenance - tires, windshield wipers, cabin air filters, etc. The only brake service needed is periodic fluid replacement like any other car; the brake pads will likely last the life of the vehicle since for most stops letting off the accelerator and using the automatic regenerative braking is more than enough 'whoa'.

I think an electric truck with similar attributes would be quite popular, and I look forward to the continuing technological progress that has made these vehicles possible.

- Bart
Old 12-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
...The vehicle electronics always knows and reports to Tesla where the car is, 24/7. Way to creepy, restrictive and controlling for me. I’ll pass on that Tesla truck, thank you.
Get used to it. Some day all cars will do this.

I go pretty boring places. Doesn’t bother me a bit. Might cut down on crime too...
Old 12-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I can't imagine a pickup that looks like the concept drawing would sell very well. I suspect that Tesla will build a pickup that looks more similar to the full size pickups already available, and is closer to them in size as well. I'm hoping someone will build an electric one-ton, crew cab pickup with 8' bed that I can use to haul my Avion truck camper, but I'm not holding my breath. I think a hybrid pickup truck with fossil fuel engine to generate electricity when needed, such as the Volt, is a more likely solution.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I’ve passed on a few of those. And the even more rare Silver Streak models.

COG problems are unreal.

Not sure what you mean by "COG problems are unreal." The COG of my Avion is in front of the rear axle of the pickup. I'm currently renovating and making some major changes but I'll ensure that the COG stays forward of the axle. Perhaps you've seen an Avion TC loaded into a short bed pickup for which most weren't designed. Matching a pickup camper to a truck is similar to matching a trailer to a tow vehicle, some do it properly, and some fly by the seat of their pants.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #46
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Not sure what you mean by "COG problems are unreal." The COG of my Avion is in front of the rear axle of the pickup.
CoG issues exist in three planes, not just fore and aft.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #47
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfemp View Post
Elon recently had to admit that the underground tunnels aren't happening. So the "Boring Company" goes back to just plain boring.
Tesla hating is a thing.

Fortunately there are many other brands that consumers can choose from if they don’t like something about Tesla.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #48
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
... Also, all Tesla’s are always connected to Tesla, ALWAYS. When you take off on a trip out of town Tesla gives you the route so they can get you to a charging station when the batteries are low. The vehicle electronics always knows and reports to Tesla where the car is, 24/7. Way to creepy, restrictive and controlling for me. I’ll pass on that Tesla truck, thank you.
Sounds like GM’s On Star. And many other manufacturers.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Sebastopol , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Not me either but I drove an electric pickup for a couple years. Couldn’t tow much but it was a cheap ride to work. We also ran our 6.2 diesels on waste cooking oil. Got me through the $4 a gallon days. Neighbors thought I was an environmentalist. Nope, just like to try different stuff.

If I had the cash and garage space my daily driver would be an EV. And I would tow with my Dodge.
Actually that is my situation. TV is a RAM Ecodiesel, daily driver is a Chevy Bolt.
The Bolt is a great car and fun to drive (quick, agile), and less than 37k with rebates etc.
The Ram is a great truck but I’m shopping for a more powerful rig. Its rated for 7610 lbs. towing, but just doesn’t have the oomph on grades while pulling our FC25, which runs about 6600 loaded with water, propane etc.
BTW, I have family that got a 2012 model S new, and its still going strong. And, having driven it, I don’t have a fear of going up in flames any more than with 30 gallons of gasoline or a tank full of compressed hydrogen (Graf Zeppelin anyone?) in either EV. I would give the Tesla PU a look when it comes on the market, and Rivian is another company starting up with EV pickups and SUVs. That one looks (marginally) more like a pickup than the Tesla, and they claim 11000 rowing and up to 400 mile range. We’ll see....

Until someone gets it right I’m looking at an f150 ecoboost or a RAM 2500.

Happy Trails!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Sebastopol , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
This past August we got our Tesla Model 3, which is replacing our VW TDI which VW is buying back for a healthy sum. Over Thanksgiving week we drove 2000 miles round trip to visit my dad. On the way back we did the return trip in one day (three drivers w/ very different sleep schedules).

These are very practical road vehicles - tons of instant torque, quiet and comfortable, and an easy 200+ miles between recharging stops, which were typically 30-40 minutes. We drove between 65 and 75 mph, over mountains, etc. These vehicles require only basic maintenance - tires, windshield wipers, cabin air filters, etc. The only brake service needed is periodic fluid replacement like any other car; the brake pads will likely last the life of the vehicle since for most stops letting off the accelerator and using the automatic regenerative braking is more than enough 'whoa'.

I think an electric truck with similar attributes would be quite popular, and I look forward to the continuing technological progress that has made these vehicles possible.

- Bart
I heartily agree, EVs eliminate a bunch of maintenance, have great response and handling (low center of gravity due to the battery packs down low makes them very sticky!).
Old 12-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
CoG issues exist in three planes, not just fore and aft.
Thanks for stating the obvious, but it doesn't explain why slowmover stated that Avion truck campers have COG problems. I was curious as to why he made that statement. I've never heard of this being a problem with Avions. There are many truck campers that are heavier and taller, but properly matched to the right truck COG shouldn't be a problem. Slowmover stated "I’ve passed on a few of those. And the even more rare Silver Streak models." so I guess he's never owned one.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Frankly, I don't see myself buying a tow vehicle limited to a 400-500 Mike range per day under ideal conditions and far less under adverse conditions. I say daily because with the recharge time you likely couldn't go much further even if you wanted. Oh and then there is figuring out where you will recharge. Because unless you're planning to stay for a few days you're not going to recharge at the camp ground. Even assuming they allow the tow vehicle to be parked in the camping area. So without a quick charge station you might get 400-500 every two to three days. Plus for the price difference you likely could buy a lot of fuel.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , New Hampshire
EV companies, especially the startup ones nobody has ever heard of, promise the moon and typically deliver nothing. There are literally dozens of examples of this. And Tesla, the most famous EV maker, does the same thing other than the fact that they actually have some vehicles on the road.

To me, nothing about the EV construct is appealing.

I like the sound of a gas, or even better, a diesel engine happily idling or pulling hard. The sound is reassuring, familiar, traditional. Humans connect with sound.

I don't like the re-charge time. It doesn't seem like progress to have to wait 30-40 minutes to gain another 200 miles. I can spend 3 minutes and fill the 48 gallon tank on my Ford diesel and gain nearly 900 miles of range.

I also strongly dislike the fact that your "fuel tank" (battery) loses capacity the longer you own it; eventually being useless and needing to be replaced.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
2007 Base Camp
Altamont , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Tesla hating is a thing.

Fortunately there are many other brands that consumers can choose from if they don’t like something about Tesla.
Not a Tesla hater. The S is a fantastic car, I don't own one but have spent a lot of time in them. I was inline for a 3 but gave up after the wait and bought a plugin Prius Prime. Obviously not a 3 but I love it's electric drive and can get 20-25 miles from a full charge which covers a lot of my driving.
I do get tired of Elon, the over promising and the excess hype. The flamethrowers, the boring machines - which were going to revolutionize transportation (much like the Segway was going to once upon a time)
I'd be very interested in a fully electric TV that would really do the trick. 5 years from now maybe Tesla will have one.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
I like the sound of a gas, or even better, a diesel engine happily idling or pulling hard. The sound is reassuring, familiar, traditional. Humans connect with sound.
I would love to have a quiet truck that runs on electricity. I connect more with a lack of sound than sound. I'm happier out in the woods than in a noisy room full of people.
As noted earlier in this thread electric vehicles are simpler and have fewer moving parts, that also appeals to me.
I think the technology will advance and soon either a hybrid electric, fully electric or hydrogen vehicle that will replace full-size diesel pickups will be available. My main concern is related to whether I'll be able to afford the purchase price.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Well there are sure plenty of them out there besides Tesla, and many more to come.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #57
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Thanks for stating the obvious, but it doesn't explain why slowmover stated that Avion truck campers have COG problems. I was curious as to why he made that statement. I've never heard of this being a problem with Avions. There are many truck campers that are heavier and taller, but properly matched to the right truck COG shouldn't be a problem. Slowmover stated "I’ve passed on a few of those. And the even more rare Silver Streak models." so I guess he's never owned one.
I was responding to your points that were entirely focused on fore and aft CoG relative to the vehicle rear axle. If the CoG is not offset left or right, and if it is relatively low to the ground, then that would be good info.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #58
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Tesla Pickup Truck

We have a Tesla 3 and a 2017 GMC 2500 diesel with a modern L5P power plant.

Both are great. We use the diesel for towing our airstream and the Tesla is the go-to day to day vehicle for numerous reasons.

Once you’ve owned both, it becomes clear very quickly that electric is clearly the future.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
Tesla tow vehicle

Unless it's nuclear, or flux capacitor powered, you can keep your Tesla!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:51 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
EV companies, especially the startup ones nobody has ever heard of, promise the moon and typically deliver nothing. There are literally dozens of examples of this. And Tesla, the most famous EV maker, does the same thing other than the fact that they actually have some vehicles on the road.

To me, nothing about the EV construct is appealing.

I don't like the re-charge time. It doesn't seem like progress to have to wait 30-40 minutes to gain another 200 miles. I can spend 3 minutes and fill the 48 gallon tank on my Ford diesel and gain nearly 900 miles of range.

I also strongly dislike the fact that your "fuel tank" (battery) loses capacity the longer you own it; eventually being useless and needing to be replaced.
And don't forget the electricity you put in that battery likely comes from a coal fired power plant.