Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Tesla Cybertruck will tow 14,000 lbs -- did you order one yet?

Was reading on Tesla website about their proposed 2022 tri-motor EV truck which with the tri-motor AWD model you might tow up to 14,000 lbs and travel over 500 miles per charge.

Nothing else on the market claims to provide that kind of performance.

Ambitious? Of course, but everyday there are new developments.

Would the proposed 2022+ Tesla Cybertruck be the ideal tow vehicle for the largest Airstream 30+ footer model?

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck/design#battery
Old 08-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
The million dollar question is......how do you charge the tesla with a silver barnacle attached?

Most charge stations are set up for a single vehicle that is "parked"......I don't see this as a logistical win for the tesla/trailer setup the way our interstates are setup....today.

Then having to "wait around" while the thing recharges?

Pass.....
Old 08-06-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Would the proposed 2022+ Tesla Cybertruck be the ideal tow vehicle for the largest Airstream 30+ footer model?"

In my opinion, no.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
That 500 miles on a charge is not while towing. You can expect 1/3 of that mileage towing a trailer. So maybe 150 - 175 miles on a good day. Then you run into the problem of charging that massive battery.

One other note, the Tesla Cyber truck is massive. Much too big to fit in a standard garage. People that have seen it in person say that you will have to build a custom sized garage much wider and taller than standard 2 car garages.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Is Tesla claiming the truck is capable of towing a 14,000 lb trailer for 500 miles on a single charge?
Old 08-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Is Tesla claiming the truck is capable of towing a 14,000 lb trailer for 500 miles on a single charge?
Like most things Elon Musk/Tesla, there is no doubt a certain amount of hyperbole involved. As has been mentioned, the truck might be capable of 500 miles on a single charge (although Tesla routinely overpromises and underdelivers on mileage claims) but I'm betting there is NO WAY it will do 500 miles with a trailer in tow.

I'm an EV fan, but aside from a few specialized situations for a few people, and for a number of reasons, they are not yet ready to be a tow vehicle for most of us.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
Old 08-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My inventor/scientist friend has been screaming for Thorium reactors for years.
The byproducts are not as radioactive as Uranium reactors, and the material uses molten salt instead of water. The byproducts can't be weaponized.
(Don't ask me to explain)
He thinks California needs to realize that switching everyone to electric vehicles while not building new power plants and counting on wind and solar is a fool's errand.
I saw where one of California's hydro plants was off line because of low water in the reservoir.
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...7-09572445aa85

But a few years ago, Lake Oroville was intentionally lowered due to heavy snowfall and rain, fearing dam failure.

California needs to look at the big picture.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
That 500 miles on a charge is not while towing. You can expect 1/3 of that mileage towing a trailer. So maybe 150 - 175 miles on a good day. Then you run into the problem of charging that massive battery.

One other note, the Tesla Cyber truck is massive. Much too big to fit in a standard garage. People that have seen it in person say that you will have to build a custom sized garage much wider and taller than standard 2 car garages.

The Cybertruck will be an awesome adventure vehicle with the absolute longest range of any ev to date. But not the best tow vehicle unless on short trips as cited above. But charging should be pretty fast as it will have the new faster charging 4680 batteries and it's large battery bank will keep charging in the 20%-80% sweet spot longer.

In regards to being too massive, it will be the size of a quad-cab F-150 in length and width but several inches shorter. Hard to fit in a standard garage, but no harder that current full-sized ICE pickups.

I have one on order so I've reviewed the specs. I don't plan on towing, but I may consider this option as a replacement to my current class b. Tucks completely into the covered bed so no added wind resistance and only around a 5% range reduction due to the added weight of 1300-1400 lbs.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
The Cybertruck will be an awesome adventure vehicle with the absolute longest range of any ev to date. But not the best tow vehicle unless on short trips as cited above. But charging should be pretty fast as it will have the new faster charging 4680 batteries and it's large battery bank will keep charging in the 20%-80% sweet spot longer.

In regards to being too massive, it will be the size of a quad-cab F-150 in length and width but several inches shorter. Hard to fit in a standard garage, but no harder that current full-sized ICE pickups.

Sorry, I got it confused with the Rivian. It's the Rivian that is massive and too tall for a normal garage.

As far as charge time. Good luck trying to find a delivery station that will rapid charge every 150 miles or so. You'll be using standard current and slow chargers most of the time until the infrastructure can support towing with an EV. In addition, you will need to charge all the way to 100% when towing, which takes a lot longer than 80%.

I think EV trucks are going to be wonderful eventually. I really like the idea of all that low end torque and the quiet powerful ride. But the technology isn't yet there for towing with an EV. Give it another 5 -10 years for battery tech to take a quantum jump.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
My buddy at work is as much of a Tesla fanboy as you can imagine. I almost bought a Model 3 when they came out and he asked me to use him as a referral because he’d get supercharger credits or something like that. I gave the salesman his OD number and he was impressed as he must have been in the first few thousand owners or some such nonsense.

Fast forward to two weeks ago and I asked him when he thought his cybertrucks would be coming in (he ordered 2. One for himself and one as an investment) . He did not exp,sin in detail, but said he was probably going to cancel the order. Definitely got the impression that Elon had tripped his BS detector.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Fast forward to two weeks ago and I asked him when he thought his cybertrucks would be coming in (he ordered 2. One for himself and one as an investment) . He did not exp,sin in detail, but said he was probably going to cancel the order. Definitely got the impression that Elon had tripped his BS detector.
I think that a lot of people think the CyberTruck is going to end up being vaporware. You never know with Elon. That's why when this thread was started talking about a new electric truck, I was thinking Rivian. It is going to be the first to market along with Ford Lightning. The CyberTruck hasn't advanced past the prototype stage from what I can tell.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:28 AM   #12
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Daimler's taking a hard look at hydrogen.
https://www.daimler.com/innovation/c...omobility.html
Old 08-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I really like the idea and have followed Tesla since introduction of the first roadster. The reality is a 150ish mile range pulling an Airstream. Unless they can figure that out, it Just isn’t going to work. If they can get to the 250 mark that would be doable.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
In Brookhaven, GA, Range Rovers have been replaced by Porches. As everyone knows, Range Rovers are "So Pre-Pandemic." Tesla Trucks are sure to be the next fad. If you live in Atlanta and pull your Airstream with a Tesla Truck, you can go to Yonah Mountain Vineyard in Cleveland, GA where they have Tesla Chargers and a great wine tasting room.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
For a 10,000 lb travel trailer, it is not worth looking at BEV pickups IMO. Better to focus on a single axle version of the Tesla Semi, with a low cab, or a longer range version of the Freightliner EM2.

BEV pickups will be targeted at commuters and tradespeople.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
On order for the Tri-Motor. If you want problems you'll find it. Finding short falls on anything is easy. It's like TV debate, pointless.

I can't wait to get mine.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m a fan of electric vehicles. We own a fully electric Jaguar I-Pace, and it’s a fantastic small SUV. That said, I think the technology needs to advance considerably before I’d ever consider one for a tow vehicle. It just isn’t practical yet. Hopefully it will get there in the next 5 - 10 years.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 08-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #18
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerJoe View Post
Was reading on Tesla website about their proposed 2022 tri-motor EV truck which with the tri-motor AWD model you might tow up to 14,000 lbs and travel over 500 miles per charge.

Nothing else on the market claims to provide that kind of performance.

Ambitious? Of course, but everyday there are new developments.

Would the proposed 2022+ Tesla Cybertruck be the ideal tow vehicle for the largest Airstream 30+ footer model?

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck/design#battery
The answer is no, at this time. Watch TFL car on YouTube. They have created extensive videos on the shortcomings of towing with an electric vehicle.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
And if 50% of new vehicle production is to be electric by 2030 per automakers non-binding agreement this week, plan on hours-long waits at charging stations, even if millions of new stations can be built in the interim. The grid will not sustain this, and wind and solar simply won’t do the job. Not in my lifetime anyway.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I am not familiar with Tesla's air conditioning and heating systems. How does running these systems change battery life? I think Tesla's mileage claims are based on a nice weather day on flat level ground. I wonder how it will do pulling hills where it must also overcome the forces of gravity trying to pull it backwards. I'll be curious to see a real world towing test.
I have always been a fan of hydrogen fuel cell technology. The only byproduct is water vapor.
Closed Thread