Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #181
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Even solar panels have to be made in ways that involve obtaining raw materials and some chemical handling, at least thus far (maybe one day, they can be manufactured in a more responsible manner). Wind turbines have a limited lifespan and, thus far, are being landfilled and not recycled. I’m not against solar and wind, when appropriate, responsibly made, and installed in proper locations (wind turbines tend to have high bird and bat mortality rates when located along ridge tops in efforts to reach higher speed winds; perhaps offshore would be better).
Yes. And it is important not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Don’t let the pursuit of perfection slow down significant progress. The climate crisis isn't waiting.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
A couple years ago we ran into a couple and their 3 kids, towing a 25ft j flight or similar with their model X. Met them in the valley of giants up north, they were from Vancouver and enjoying the time of their lives. He said they went about 100 miles a day. That speed felt right for them—and it’s all they could do. Their youngest was 6 or so, it worked for them.

Similarly—we are retired. We are in no hurry. If we can switch to something more sustainable we will. California is burning up, it’s in our face. Towing with our suburban has never sat well with me due to the carbon factor. (And it already doesn’t fit in our garage. :-D ) E-trucks may not be ready for prime time but I’m more than ready for etrucks. Wherever they’re at. I’ve been inside enough Teslas that I’m pretty confident we’d enjoy the journey. Dang right we’re on the waiting list.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #183
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Wow! I'm sort of new here and this is the first thread I ever created and you all jumped on it like gang busters! Now 10,000 views and ticking up.

I can't brag like some of you that I have a Tesla Cybertruck on order. But, from what I've read on the Tesla website --- anyone can send them $100 for an interest-free loan and "have a Cybertruck on order". Maybe in the near future we can send Musk another $100 interest-free loan and have a tenative "reserved" seat on a SpaceX rocket ship to the moon.

Supposedly already 80,000+ people can claim they have Cybertrucks on order. I think if anyone seriously wants a Cybertruck they had better go to a Tesla dealer showroom and add another $4,900 to truly get a reserved seat in a Cybertruck. Has anyone already taken that step or are you just one out of 80,000+ out there?
Old 08-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerJoe View Post
Wow! I'm sort of new here and this is the first thread I ever created and you all jumped on it like gang busters! Now 10,000 views and ticking up.

I can't brag like some of you that I have a Tesla Cybertruck on order. But, from what I've read on the Tesla website --- anyone can send them $100 for an interest-free loan and "have a Cybertruck on order". Maybe in the near future we can send Musk another $100 interest-free loan and have a tenative "reserved" seat on a SpaceX rocket ship to the moon.

Supposedly already 80,000+ people can claim they have Cybertrucks on order. I think if anyone seriously wants a Cybertruck they had better go to a Tesla dealer showroom and add another $4,900 to truly get a reserved seat in a Cybertruck. Has anyone already taken that step or are you just one out of 80,000+ out there?

First I've heard of this. You mean my $100 on-line reservation can be line-jumped for a $5000 (total) deposit at a Tesla showroom?
Old 08-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:

Uhmmm. Try 1.25 million pre-orders.

Get in line, cause I'm serious and willing to throw money at Tesla to get my CT.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #186
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
That may be a record for a first thread, well done.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:04 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Got a CT reservation as well as a Rivian R1T reservation. I have a preference for the R1T from a looks perspective but will make the final decision on which I purchase based on range. While Rivian is starting R1T deliveries next month apparently, the long range version isn’t due until next year and exact range isn’t published yet.

I have had the opportunity to tow with both my Model X and an ICE vehicle. Beyond the benefits from an emissions standpoint, the Model X is a much better tow vehicle, range aside. It is much more stable and smooth, thanks to the low centre of gravity and endless torque.

The etrucks won’t be as stable as the X as they are higher on their feet but they will be more so than ICE trucks.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
If it holds for production the 3,500 lb payload rating impresses me even more than the max tow rating. Our typical fullsize and so called HD trucks that claim bragging rights over their tow capabilities have mostly pitiful payload ratings even when you try to optimize option packages.

Can't resist saying the Tesla Truck styling looks a lot like designs I drew when I was 8 years old and was given a straight edge and circle templates to draw with. Perhaps the design appeal grows on you though. Really like to see what Chip Foose could do with it.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #189
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
A couple years ago we ran into a couple and their 3 kids, towing a 25ft j flight or similar with their model X. Met them in the valley of giants up north, they were from Vancouver and enjoying the time of their lives. He said they went about 100 miles a day. That speed felt right for them—and it’s all they could do. Their youngest was 6 or so, it worked for them.

Similarly—we are retired. We are in no hurry. If we can switch to something more sustainable we will. California is burning up, it’s in our face. Towing with our suburban has never sat well with me due to the carbon factor. (And it already doesn’t fit in our garage. :-D ) E-trucks may not be ready for prime time but I’m more than ready for etrucks. Wherever they’re at. I’ve been inside enough Teslas that I’m pretty confident we’d enjoy the journey. Dang right we’re on the waiting list.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/...oline-driving/
Old 09-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #190
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
While I have nothing against electric, I only see them as a practical alternative in an urban environment. For towing you need range. EV is not there yet (and may never be), towing just eats the battery range. And most people don't want to sit around waiting for a charge that can get them another hundred miles, and then have to wait again. I would love to see more done regarding hydrogen as an alternative fuel. Quick to refill and you can actually burn it in an internal combustion engine (highly modified of course) or use it to power a fuel cell. Either way you get water out the tail pipe. Until them I am loving my Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 rear end. Tows my 30' International with plenty of power to spare.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Most of our camping is 100 miles or less. The beach, Disney, close by state parks. But maybe twice a year we’ll do Topsail (450 miles) or something like that. I have enough trouble mapping out trailer friendly fuel stations so I don’t have to go to the truck stops. I’m not going to lose a day or two each way because I need to plan around recharge times.

To be a viable alternative for RVing (at least in my mind)EV trucks would need to have a 500-600 mile range and an 8 -10 hour recharge cycle. That’s about the limit most people would drive in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
While I have nothing against electric, I only see them as a practical alternative in an urban environment. For towing you need range. EV is not there yet (and may never be), towing just eats the battery range. And most people don't want to sit around waiting for a charge that can get them another hundred miles, and then have to wait again. I would love to see more done regarding hydrogen as an alternative fuel. Quick to refill and you can actually burn it in an internal combustion engine (highly modified of course) or use it to power a fuel cell. Either way you get water out the tail pipe. Until them I am loving my Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 rear end. Tows my 30' International with plenty of power to spare.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #192
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Most of our camping is 100 miles or less. The beach, Disney, close by state parks. But maybe twice a year we’ll do Topsail (450 miles) or something like that. I have enough trouble mapping out trailer friendly fuel stations so I don’t have to go to the truck stops. I’m not going to lose a day or two each way because I need to plan around recharge times.

To be a viable alternative for RVing (at least in my mind)EV trucks would need to have a 500-600 mile range and an 8 -10 hour recharge cycle. That’s about the limit most people would drive in a day.

500 mile range x 60% for towing x 60% for super conservative charging profile = 180 miles. More practical would be 225-250 miles before charging. Less than an hour as a level 3 charger, which are being built out with pull through sites for CB and Semi.

It won’t be the long haul 700 mile a day truck for folks that dismiss the CB in this thread (NOT directed at Jon Drew), and yet in other threads will say don’t drive more than 300 miles a day…

The CB will be an awesome truck from a capabilities perspective, and will tow my 22’ Sport like it isn’t even there. May not be the right choice for the 30’ Classic full timer that crosses the country all the time.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #193
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
I agree with you, but my math would be a little less conservative in nominal conditions (wind direction) based on my Model S (not towing) doing long drives.

Essentially- I’m saying that in good conditions you should do far better! As we try to travel in good conditions (whether in water or by car) a nice tailwind can make a significant difference.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
500 mile range x 60% for towing x 60% for super conservative charging profile = 180 miles. More practical would be 225-250 miles before charging. Less than an hour as a level 3 charger, which are being built out with pull through sites for CB and Semi.

It won’t be the long haul 700 mile a day truck for folks that dismiss the CB in this thread (NOT directed at Jon Drew), and yet in other threads will say don’t drive more than 300 miles a day…

The CB will be an awesome truck from a capabilities perspective, and will tow my 22’ Sport like it isn’t even there. May not be the right choice for the 30’ Classic full timer that crosses the country all the time.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post

Exactly! The "waitlist" on ordering a non proven EV for towing an AS with no history yet is akin to the buying a Loto ticket...oh, the excitement when you first get your ticket...the jackpot awaits, right?...do you feel lucky!?

I have 119K miles now on my F250 towing my AS...about to put on another 4-5K miles starting next week to JC, then Alumalina, then St. Augustine before heading back to Austin....would hate to have to plan that trip around charging stations...just saying.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Exactly! The "waitlist" on ordering a non proven EV for towing an AS with no history yet is akin to the buying a Loto ticket...oh, the excitement when you first get your ticket...the jackpot awaits, right?...do you feel lucky!?

I have 119K miles now on my F250 towing my AS...about to put on another 4-5K miles starting next week to JC, then Alumalina, then St. Augustine before heading back to Austin....would hate to have to plan that trip around charging stations...just saying.
Enjoy your F250. EVs won't take anything away from that.

We'll reflect on this post perhaps in a couple years time. When that future lottery ticket blows the doors off any comparable ICE TV. Redefining torque. And HP. And efficiency. It's already happening and it won't stop there.

It's already happened to regular passenger cars. Nothing touches the Model S Plaid in most every classic performance measure. Not even close, even with multimillion dollars exotics.

Rivian R1T is in the midst of releasing, and early reviews show it redefining what makes a great truck, blowing the doors off pinnacle trucks like the TRX and other monsters on and off-road. 835 hp/908 lb-ft. Albeit missing battery reserves and an extensive charging network.

CT is coming for the bigger jobs next year with tow capable reserves and an ever expanding Supercharger network.

Can't expect everyone to be early adopters but the pessimism is curious in the light of EVs successes over what been 10 yrs now. It's the individuals prerogative to decide to standstill, standby, or get on the train. Progress is not waiting for anyone.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Enjoy your F250. EVs won't take anything away from that.

We'll reflect on this post perhaps in a couple years time. When that future lottery ticket blows the doors off any comparable ICE TV. Redefining torque. And HP. And efficiency. It's already happening and it won't stop there.

It's already happened to regular passenger cars. Nothing touches the Model S Plaid in most every classic performance measure. Not even close, even with multimillion dollars exotics.

Rivian R1T is in the midst of releasing, and early reviews show it redefining what makes a great truck, blowing the doors off pinnacle trucks like the TRX and other monsters on and off-road. 835 hp/908 lb-ft. Albeit missing battery reserves and an extensive charging network.

CT is coming for the bigger jobs next year with tow capable reserves and an ever expanding Supercharger network.

Can't expect everyone to be early adopters but the pessimism is curious in the light of EVs successes over what been 10 yrs now. It's the individuals prerogative to decide to standstill, standby, or get on the train. Progress is not waiting for anyone.
Nothing wrong with early adopters...lets others observe the issues. I understand/know many folks like the currant EV's with their limitations being distance for sure. I've posted before about my son purchasing a Tesla and trading after a year, due to inconvenience of charging even in Austin. I also have posted my son-in-law with his Model-X hating it for business use, driving to/from Austin, Dallas, Houston, Big Bend...charging while on the road being his biggest pain for sure..going back to a nicely equipped luxury car shortly.

We will watch you PTEK, as you (and others) share the EV experience with us all, and how/why you put up with these inconveniences on your short excursions...and then try to sugar coat the issues of charging while towing an AS...Just not ready to take that on myself, yet. I enjoy the freedom that comes with fuel access and larger TV capacity, while towing our AS..but you always have the Lexus to fall back on, right?

We used to say...you can watch things happen, make things happen, or stand around and say "hey man, what's happinen"? Right now, I'm somewhere in there...till I know real limitations and solutions from experienced EVTV towing AS's...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We used to say...you can watch things happen, make things happen, or stand around and say "hey man, what's happinen"? Right now, I'm somewhere in there...till I know real limitations and solutions from experienced EVTV towing AS's...
Amen. The concept is intriguing and it's possible to imagine a future where EV's could meet the requirements of long range towing. I look forward to embracing that day.

In the meantime, I've heard the speculation, the promises, the hype, the optimistic pronouncements, the hopes and the dreams regarding the suitability of Elon Musk's someday-to-be-released Cybertruck for that purpose and I take it all with a grain of salt. Show me.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
Old 09-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I've heard the speculation, the promises, the hype, the optimistic pronouncements, the hopes and the dreams regarding the suitability of Elon Musk's someday-to-be-released Cybertruck for that purpose and I take it all with a grain of salt. Show me.
The Rivian is here! And it isn't god-awful ugly like the cyber truck. Sure, long tows are still in the future, but this is a major start.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #199
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Amen. The concept is intriguing and it's possible to imagine a future where EV's could meet the requirements of long range towing. I look forward to embracing that day.

In the meantime, I've heard the speculation, the promises, the hype, the optimistic pronouncements, the hopes and the dreams regarding the suitability of Elon Musk's someday-to-be-released Cybertruck for that purpose and I take it all with a grain of salt. Show me.
I still think the ultimate tow vehicle would be a single axle Tesla Semi with a small garage over the rear axle, to hold bikes, ebikes, etc. Just under 26,000 GVWR to make driver licensing and registration cheaper and simpler. 40,000 GCWR would be half of the Tesla Semi design spec, so half the electric drive motors, and half the batteries, for 600+ mile range while towing 10,000 lbs. Low roof model so aerodynamic with the height of the Airstream. Width is an exact match to a widebody Airstream.

The other thought I have on BEV impact and towing Airstreams is that the BEV shouldn't just be seen as a potential HD pickup replacement. That is framing it as an all or nothing question. The more immediate impact could well be the end of (or significant reduction in) HD pickups as dual purpose vehicles. If one's city runabout/commuter/shopping vehicle is a smaller EV, that leaves the traditional tow vehicle as a dedicated tow vehicle, with far lower annual mileage, and corresponding lower annual emissions. The BEV wouldn't replace the HD pickup, it would replace 80% or so of its use. That could have different impacts on HD pickup purchases. One would be that diesel would be a lot harder to justify over gasoline. Another would be that heavily optioned HD pickups wouldn't be as sought after, for only a few uses per year (depending on the individual). Lots of potential for reshaping the market here.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I still think the ultimate tow vehicle would be a single axle Tesla Semi with a small garage over the rear axle, to hold bikes, ebikes, etc. Just under 26,000 GVWR to make driver licensing and registration cheaper and simpler. 40,000 GCWR would be half of the Tesla Semi design spec, so half the electric drive motors, and half the batteries, for 600+ mile range while towing 10,000 lbs. Low roof model so aerodynamic with the height of the Airstream. Width is an exact match to a widebody Airstream.

The other thought I have on BEV impact and towing Airstreams is that the BEV shouldn't just be seen as a potential HD pickup replacement. That is framing it as an all or nothing question. The more immediate impact could well be the end of (or significant reduction in) HD pickups as dual purpose vehicles. If one's city runabout/commuter/shopping vehicle is a smaller EV, that leaves the traditional tow vehicle as a dedicated tow vehicle, with far lower annual mileage, and corresponding lower annual emissions. The BEV wouldn't replace the HD pickup, it would replace 80% or so of its use. That could have different impacts on HD pickup purchases. One would be that diesel would be a lot harder to justify over gasoline. Another would be that heavily optioned HD pickups wouldn't be as sought after, for only a few uses per year (depending on the individual). Lots of potential for reshaping the market here.
Interesting thoughts.

With two BEV's now in the family, my F250 is already pretty much a dedicated tow vehicle. We just got back from a 2500 mile Wyoming trip towing the Airstream to a dry camping site in the Tetons and I must confess that I felt a little guilty about burning through multiple tanks of diesel fuel. I would welcome a practical electric alternative but the objective truth is that while diesel was available everywhere, having to recharge a BEV TV on this trip would have made things much, much more complicated.

The concept, whether a more conventional BEV truck (if you can call the Cyber Truck conventional) or some iteration of the Tesla semi, is tempting. Whether it's real world practical...yet...is another matter entirely. I would need a lot more feedback before I'd be willing to take that road at this time.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
Closed Thread