Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Telescoping trailer tow mirrors - must have?

I'm looking at trucks to pull a 8' 6" wide Airstream. Almost every truck I see does *not* have the larger, telescoping trailer tow mirrors.

New ones on the lot do not (2009 F-150). If you insist on that feature you eliminate almost all in stock trucks. The dealer can remove the ones that were there (and discard them) and install the telescoping mirrors, but I'm afraid to ask what that would cost. Still, it could be done.

I plan to tow a lot in many kinds of situations, full-timing for years. If I will regret not getting them on my new truck, I would like to avoid that regret.

My question to you experienced friends is - are these must haves?

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too was looking for them and found my current truck that I found had everything I wanted but these. I still bought the truck and found that although the extending mirrors would be helpful, the larger trucks as they are with the standard mirrors I have found do a very good job on their own FWIW. If you can find 'em I am sure they'll be better than the stockers, but in the end I have no regrets.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

To answer your question, yes, you do need extended mirrors to tow an Airstream safely. We have a 2005 Suburban with the standard mirrors. On this TV, we use the TowNSee Mirrors from Camping World. They work great and they are $20 each. We also have a 2004 Suburban with the factory extending mirrors. They also work great, but adding a set to the would be $600. The TowNSee work just as well.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Silverado

I put the extendable mirrors on mine - and sold the original equipment ones on ebay for about $150. I actually found that the standard ones weren't bad - on a short trip I took while waiting for mine to arrive. They told me it couldn't be done post delivery, but several users here had done it. I printed out the threads and shoved them under the dealer's nose.

I did look at one Dodge Hemi - and they had the neatest towing mirrors, they look standard, then you fold them 90 degrees outward and voila, towing mirrors.

I fulltime, so it's worth it to me to have permanently attached telescoping mirrors. If you travel 8 - 10 times a year, get the less expensive ones.

Paula
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
The attachable solution seems good - normal mirrors most of the time, add them when towing. I might average a week between major moves.

Still, it seems like you would have to adjust them every time you install them? Or do they stay adjusted through a remove / install cycle?

Quote:
we use the TowNSee Mirrors
The TowNsee you mention attaches to the conventional mirror with a suction cup. The conventional mirror can be adjusted from the driver's seat, moving the TowNsee. Is that how you adjust yours?

-CB-
Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
If you are going to keep your truck for a good while, invest in telescoping mirrors. The dealers will moan if you are not taking something else that is directly on their lot. They paid for that inventory and need to move it.
A good dealer should be able to find you a truck with the options you want somewhere within the region.
I tried the clamp on mirrors. They vibrated and were a royal pain to take on/off.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I had the same problem. Needed larger mirrors and did not want to spend the $600 to change. Tried the clip on mirrors, and found they vibrated too much to be usefull. Then tried a set of the CIPA slip-on mirrors designed to fit over your existing mirrors, and they work well.

Cipa Mirrors - Item - Camping World
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I installed a set of CIPA telescoping mirrors on my '97 Chevy. Best investment I've made in vehicle upgrades. Nice clean lines and a huge mirror surface.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Check these out...

Others here have tried them and are very pleased....

eBay Motors: 04-2007 FORD F150 Extendable Manual Towing Mirrors Tow (item 280274906908 end time Mar-05-09 20:22:22 PST)

We have the extendable camping option on our Burb and would not tow without them.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
I have tried to configure one of these trucks at the Ford web site, and it seems you cannot get the telescoping mirrors unless you get the 3.73 ratio gearbox (GCVW 11500), at least on the high end model I'm considering. I prefer the 3.55 ratio gearbox (GCVW 9700), it being adequate for my needs.

I appreciate the references and recommendations here. The previous two don't seem to offer 2009 F150 compatible units. The 2009 can be had with many different mirrors, depending on trim level. Maybe most of them have the same geometry, just black vs body color vs chrome. Anyhow, you have convinced me that:

1) I need extended mirrors in many situations to be safe and sane.
2) A variety of solutions work depending on a variety of factors.
3) I can try those, and plunk down the $ for Ford ones if need be.

So, I don't *have* to get a truck with them on it off the lot. Nice.

I'm sure I could do the labor of putting them on, if I had the parts. Does anyone know how to order genuine Ford parts online (esp. at a discount) so that I can see how much they really would cost?

-CB-
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Try this link, this company was the supplier of the GM mirrors.

They may be the same for Ford....

Power Vision Mirrors | The Ultimate Towing Mirror | Ford Models
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
I would encourage you to check out the Ford mirrors. My reasoning is this: In Nov. I bought a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, managed to get all the tow stuff except the mirrors. I debated whether to pay the dealer for the Dodge mirrors, went ahead and did so. Am so glad I did! They fold up and thus look like standard mirrors when I don't need them. When I need them, I unfold them, and they also have the fish-eye mirror in the corner, which gives me all sorts of viewing options. BUT the kicker is, they are wired into the truck system, and there is a built in defroster! Neat trick to discover, and it has come in handy! They were'nt cheap, but definitely worth it in the long run.
Of course, Your Results May Vary.
Regards,
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
In most States, you MUST have extended mirrors when towing 8'6".I have used CIPA slip on when we had 1/2 ton Suburbans and they were fine (better than others I have seen with all kinds of straps, etc). The new 3/4 ton pick me up has factories; much better still.
If I were buying new, I'd get the factories. I am sure Ford can put them on any truck on the lot. Check with their parts dept.You might throw this in as a bargaining chip?

Pretty cool that Ford has them for 1/2 tons now...

Bill