Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Talk me out of 2WD

I’m building an order for a gas F250 to tow a 30’ FC since there are none available so I’m able to scrutinize every option.

One option I’m planning on getting is 2 wheel drive and my rationale is below:

-I live in the south and don’t need the ability to drive in the snow. Also I never plan to take the AS in the snow due to road salt.
-The 4x4 option is $3000 and in researching used car values, it only adds at most $2000 in resale value.
-I plan on doing some boondocking out west but these locations are generally extremely dry. I plan on the occasional Harvest Host too but by far most camping will be in campgrounds.
-I will have a roadside service, usually coachnet in case I get stuck. I will also have 2x8s onboard for leveling that can also be used to provide traction

As of right now I can’t justify the extra cost, weight, and complexity. Am I analyzing this correctly?
N95556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Just .02$

Mine is a 3/4T 2WD it's 16 yrs old, just over 200K miles and the only front end parts I've replaced have been shocks and sway bar links.

That's a lot of savings.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I have 4WD and seldom use it. When I ordered my RAM 2500 I too debated whether to get it or not. But I did.

Having said that there have been several occasions where I was glad to have it. Wet grass and/or frost on the grass and uneven terrain. Could I have gotten some help in those situations? I guess I could have but it was convent to have 4WD in those situations.

I kind of look at it as insurance. TETO!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Just get stuck one time. You will regret not having 4WD.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
Drive off the shoulder of the road in sandy Florida one time. You will regret not having 4WD. Just the idea of not having to worry about not having 4WD is worth having 4WD to me.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only times I've ever used 4WD while towing have been "down south". One was a 20 mile jaunt Google Maps took me on down a hurricane damaged forest road ( sand / water / mud ...). Another couple were county parks with sites on the grass. Hurricane comes through and the grass gets pretty slippery.

If I didn't go for 4WD, I'd at least go for the electronic rear locker. It's pretty cheap and can help quite a bit. Indeed, getting *both* is better still.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post

Bruce
Agree. Even wet grass or loose soil can be an issue trying to get a 30' trailer moving sometimes. Also, you can't always predict the weather. Coming back from South Dakota to California 2 years ago we encountered freakish snowy conditions at the end of May along several portions of the route that would have been been truly treacherous without a 4x4. And no one wants to wait around for Coachnet or a tow truck to show up to get out of a predicament that you could have resolved yourself with the turn of a knob.

I think you might be too concerned about potential complexity problems. Modern 4x4 systems are very reliable and require little maintenance. And by your own calculations, the overall cost delta is only $1K. My $.02; get 4WD.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have ordered my trucks with 2WD for years. I appreciate the additional weight capacity. I never buy from dealer lot because they order all with 4WD. Some may need it but we've towed to many states plus Alaska with 2WD. Our next will be a 2023 model. Current is 2018 2500 diesel. Good luck in YOUR decision .
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by N95556 View Post

-I plan on doing some boondocking out west but these locations are generally extremely dry. I plan on the occasional Harvest Host too but by far most camping will be in campgrounds.
I think your statement above (boondocking out west) is reason enough that you *should* have 4x4. I agree with multiple other posters, in that the first time you have a traction loss situation, you will be kicking yourself for dismissing 4x4 as not useful. The circumstance does not need to be winter weather, there are plenty of other situations where I have been very glad I had 4x4 (and was dependent on it to extricate myself). You could get a sudden summer storm, be out on a backroad that is now substantially mud, or slippery surface mud, and 4x4 will save the day. Yes, it is a cost burden, and a slight maintenance burden, but for me and my situation, I want the most capable TV for my use cases, and less than ideal roads, and occasional winter travel is a normal part of my use cases so I have 4x4 and have zero regrets.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
2WD is just fine. Just have to respect your limits. I van tow. You can’t get much worse for 2WD and ease of getting stuck. Have family who towed a 34 all over the US without issue. Gasser to boot.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Got stuck on wet grass with a 2WD suburban 2500. Got stuck in mud with a 4WD Silverado and a 4WD F150.

Now carry tow with a van and carry tow chains, tow ropes, a small floor jack, 2x8 lumber, long carpet scraps for traction addition (free! Just got them from an installer), enough Legos to build a shed (not quite) and have gotten a bit less adventurous in where I camp.

Paula

I would consider adding a winch to the front bumper though. I could imagine pulling the van off of a wet grassy field, then pulling the trailer out with the winch cable. Price check? General utility? [emoji848] thinking makes my head hurt.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Also, the Ford 2WD heavy duty trucks have independent front wheel suspension, instead of a solid axle.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
...like buying a horse without four legs?

Advertise a 4x4 and a 2x4 pickup. Which will sell first AND for more money? Cost and Selling are two important factors to always consider. Same with a house: location, location and location, first.

There are always 2x4 pickups filling the pages in the For Sale columns. Like Harley motorcycles that seem to last forever, but those for sale go on and on, in the for sale advertising of a local newspaper.

I wanted for the 27 foot International a Tow Tank with all options:

(1) Crew Cab
(2) 4x4
(3) Diesel
(4) Air Conditioning
(5) Hitch
(6) No roll down windows

I always BUY with the idea of SELLING. House. Trailer. Vehicles. Investments.

Buy cheap, get what you deserve when ready to sell. Less return on your original purchase. Nobody wants to pay more for a 2x4... anything. Toyota Land Cruisers come with 4x4 automatics and still the easiest SUV to sell for larger percentage of sticker price paid.

Our Land Cruisers sell fast and for top prices. The last one had multiple buyers at our asking price and one would fly out to get it. Took the money and bought a NEW Land Cruiser that will last the rest of our lives. Engines are balanced at the factory with running to check out at the factory before being installed, etc. etc. Batteries last ten years or more. Paid $5,000 over sticker to find a new one within 150 miles. The Dealer did not even... blink. Got some filters for future need and a hat. "Free Service" for a period of time. Hey... we are getting old, but still smart about buying.

Our 4x4 Toyota pickups sold fast and for top prices. None to be found... cheap. Too light for our 27 foot International loaded for long trips at places with no services or groceries.

I am counting on the current Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 to bring a good return when offered for sale. Although Ford needs to improve on the front suspension with a better shock on the steering system... they will be screwing themselves if they do not.

Thieves are smart. Look up the Models of Pickups that are STOLEN. That is your answer. Even an OLD 4x4 is stolen over a 2x4. Why? Because those in the know understand that a 4x4 has more to offer than a... comfortable ride.

Lets have fun. Cars, trucks, trailers, camping trips. Great things to discuss and just have a good time with whatever you decide. Just do not try to sell it too soon... if it is a 2x4.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
For the OP: Yes, I think your analysis is reasonable. I would note that many tow services will not provide towing if you have left public roads, without an additional charge. YMMV

2WD will tow better. Better handling due to a lower CoG, better steering and front suspension in many cases.

4WD is not designed for towing, it is more for off road (which you may want to venture on when the trailer is parked) and for wet grass in a campground (as often quoted)

If you want better towing traction and control than 2WD you actually need AWD, but that eliminates many pickups from the discussion. Most SUVs have this feature, it is one of their advantages over a pickup.

If you are concerned about getting stuck in a campground, a rolled up tow strap and a couple of short chains are a very good idea (also true if you opt for 4WD).

For any pickup, a limited slip rear differential of some type is a good idea.

Many years back the garage I then worked at did towing and off road recovery. The boss's frequent line was the 4WD just let drivers get further down a road that they shouldn't have been on in the first place, before they inevitably got stuck. One of the recovery trucks was a 2WD winch truck. Never had a problem getting to a stuck 4WD with it, that I can recall. Sometimes used the front winch to pull both vehicles back out together. I am not sure if I would put a winch on a 2WD towing vehicle or pack an extra tow strap. Having had 9 personal AWD vehicles, and innumerable company AWD vehicles, I haven't had to think about it.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm a 4wd guy.

Was in Maine, camped next to me, down a wee, grassy slope, was a 2wd. Wet grass, and the guy couldn't get out of there.

I go with the fire extinguisher analogy, better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.

I've put her in 4wd to keep from spinning towing up stone driveway slopes.
I've put her in 4wd in heavy rain, with lots of water on the roads.
I've put her in 4wd in sand and snow.

I'll put her in 4wd to pull out the 2wd's that are stuck

When in the back country, I kind of like the roads that say 4wd only.

Plus, I like the 4x4 sticker on the truck

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like having the 4 wheel drive. I have used it a few times when towing in 14 years with the current truck. Twice I would have needed a tow without it and one of those was in Yellowstone. I bet that would have been an expensive tow. I fish a good bit when traveling and out west I like to think I will be able to get out of a spot if it rains or whetever. I have used the 4wd a bit when unhooked and looking around. Had to get towed once in a sandy spot with the 4 wheel drive. Luckily there was a friendly guy there who helped. The truck rides rough with the solid front axle. A stiff sprung 2 wheel drive 2500 with highway tires has little traction at the rear. Dry dust, wet grass, gravel will all stop you sometimes. I know people who have spurned the 4 wd and they have been happy with their trucks too. Maintaining the 4wd was the main reason they said they passed on it.

Thinking back I think I have spent a more than two thousand dollars maintenance on the 4 wd drive in 260,000 miles including 1 set of front universals, 1 re programming, and a front differential seal and several fluid changes.

So if you are sure what you want I am not going to try to talk you out of it. Just stay on the pavement. I am more talking to myself about the next truck. I will probably get 4 wd again.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by N95556 View Post
. . .
. . . I plan on doing some boondocking out west but these locations are generally extremely dry.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
. . .
. . . I think your statement above . . . is reason enough that you *should* have 4x4.
. . .
Agreed.

Avoid "false economies" . . . and have the right tools available, even for unforeseen work required by new "as-built" field conditions IMO.

"Boondocking" and "two-wheel drive" seem almost mutually exclusive, at least to these eyes.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m also a 4WD guy. I don’t tow in snow and ice if I can help it. I find it very useful in dirt, on wet grass, on wet pavement, in sand, etc. I wouldn’t buy a truck without it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Had a 2004 Nissan Titan 2wd and towed my 31’ Sovereign over 80000 miles with it. Never needed 4wd.

Had my Titan XD 2wd now for almost 5 years,only about 10000 miles towing. Needed 4wd once on a recently regraveled hill on a FS road. Got pulled up the hill by a tow truck that Good Sam paid for.

So 90000 miles of towing, needed it once for a problem easily solved by other means.

I’d rather have the simplicity and extra payload of the 2wd.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
N95556, I am a fan of 4WD. I had a one ton van with the limited slip axle. There were many times it didn’t save me.
If you plan to stay at HH, you may find yourself on uneven grassy surfaces. On those, 2WD is the formula for spinning your tires, scorching the turf, and earning a one star guest rating. I speak from experience backing my trailer in our dry but not level Florida yard.
4WD for me, all the way!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote