Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #101
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I too have seen 4wd cars and trucks rolled or stuck during snow, but they are probably the people who passed me going far too fast. Another advantage of 4wd is you have four wheel engine braking which I consider safer than 2wd engine braking. But....

Finding a new vehicle can be hard. My neighbor got t-boned when someone ran a red light at 48 mph a couple of days ago. His Camry is probably totaled. So he checked at the local Ford and Toyota dealer (his son works there) about new vehicles—they only had seven on the lot. This is a big dealership. There is also a shortage of used cars. If you order a specific model just like you want it, you may be waiting months. You may find some 2wd trucks in states further north because they aren't popular there, but selections are poor all over the country, so this discussion may be moot.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Anyone who drives in snow and ice regularly knows that 4WD or AWD is only a tool to help you, but it doesn't allow you to defy the laws of physics. I'd typically choose a 2WD car with proper winter tires over a 4WD car with all-season tires (aka no-season tires). I'd say the most common cars that I see in the mountains of Colorado that end up in the ditch are Range Rovers, followed closely by Jeeps. Both of these are AWD or 4WD, but bad drivers or bad choices can't be overcome by 4WD.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #103
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Anyone who drives in snow and ice regularly knows that 4WD or AWD is only a tool to help you, but it doesn't allow you to defy the laws of physics. I'd typically choose a 2WD car with proper winter tires over a 4WD car with all-season tires (aka no-season tires). I'd say the most common cars that I see in the mountains of Colorado that end up in the ditch are Range Rovers, followed closely by Jeeps. Both of these are AWD or 4WD, but bad drivers or bad choices can't be overcome by 4WD.
Agreed.

Dennis I lived in Evergreen for 22 years, the last 11 in Marshdale in an old cabin that we remodeled and expanded. Got too busy and we moved west. Though I'd lived in Buffalo, NY, for 8 years, I never saw so much snow as in Evergreen where annual totals were 100" and up and up.....and up. Was beautiful, but snow and too much traffic means monstrous traffic jams.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We love Evergreen, and we definitely get lots of snow. I'm missing that snow right now as I look at the thermometer and it's still sitting at 90 degrees!

The Bistro at Marshdale is one of our "go to" restaurants!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:03 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
… Finding a new vehicle can be hard. My neighbor got t-boned when someone ran a red light at 48 mph a couple of days ago. His Camry is probably totaled. So he checked at the local Ford and Toyota dealer (his son works there) about new vehicles—they only had seven on the lot. This is a big dealership. There is also a shortage of used cars…

There is a shortage of computer chips holding up everything. A lot of new vehicles have already been assembled but are in storage waiting for the necessary computer chips.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #106
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
“Its better to have what you don't need when you need it, than not to have it when you don’t.” or “you may think you don’t need it but when you do….you’ll have it.”
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-17-2021, 08:09 AM   #107
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
There is a shortage of computer chips holding up everything. A lot of new vehicles have already been assembled but are in storage waiting for the necessary computer chips.
Hi

Look a bit deeper and there's a shortage of chips in the auto industry because they all (except Toyota) canceled orders / dumped backup inventory like crazy last year. This year they didn't have the orders in to. handle a normal flow of vehicles ....

Yes, that's nuts, they did stay out of bankruptcy so maybe not totally nuts.

Whatever the reason, this a a fine time to sell your used vehicle (car/ truck/ RV ...). You will get top dollar for it. Some are going for what I would call insane prices. Oddly enough, if you shop a bit, you can still get a reasonable price on a new vehicle. The gotcha is that it will take a *long* time to get to you ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #108
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Prescott Valley , Arizona
ARGUMENT AGAINST
* Cost
* Reduces payload

ARGUMENT FOR
* Snow notwithstanding, if you travel, there will be times you need it.

I selected 4WD on both my trucks and never once regretted doing so.
Etisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #109
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
Just this week I had to back up to a steep site on gravel. 4 low and rear locker, didn't even need to give much gas, no wheel spin.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by N95556 View Post
I’m building an order for a gas F250 to tow a 30’ FC since there are none available so I’m able to scrutinize every option.

One option I’m planning on getting is 2 wheel drive and my rationale is below:

-I live in the south and don’t need the ability to drive in the snow. Also I never plan to take the AS in the snow due to road salt.
-The 4x4 option is $3000 and in researching used car values, it only adds at most $2000 in resale value.
-I plan on doing some boondocking out west but these locations are generally extremely dry. I plan on the occasional Harvest Host too but by far most camping will be in campgrounds.
-I will have a roadside service, usually coachnet in case I get stuck. I will also have 2x8s onboard for leveling that can also be used to provide traction

As of right now I can’t justify the extra cost, weight, and complexity. Am I analyzing this correctly?

4WD is like insurance, or a good backup of your data. You hate paying for it, but the first time you need it and don’t have it, you’re screwed.

When might you need it…. how about that steep uphill gravel road or driveway, or perhaps that muddy boondock location that was dry when you went in and that darn weatherman did not tell you about that storm that came in over night.

My .02 cents.
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
out west = sand. We just upgraded to 4x4 after 20 years of 4x2 F250s. We got stuck once in a Anza Borrego SP in the campground. I wanted to have 4x4 just in case and I want to be able to confidently explore a little...
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #112
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt who View Post
Just this week I had to back up to a steep site on gravel. 4 low and rear locker, didn't even need to give much gas, no wheel spin.
Hi

What a lot of folks don't consider is that you can get that rear locker *without* the 4x4 (at least on most trucks / SUV's). It alone will go a long way towards getting you unstuck. Cost and weight wise it is much lower impact than full up 4x4.

( Yes, I have both a rear locker and 4x4. If I could also get a front locker, I would.)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
out west = sand. We just upgraded to 4x4 after 20 years of 4x2 F250s. We got stuck once in a Anza Borrego SP in the campground. I wanted to have 4x4 just in case and I want to be able to confidently explore a little...
Anza Borrego SP- same thing happened to us...but we just turned the knob to 4wd; no more issues. Like many of us say, you don't need it till you need it...then your glad you have it..no cell service, no help around to pull you out. Don't leave home without it! Sand or dirt camping situations do happen...even wet grass can give you issues from time to time.

There have been times, even without towing the AS, in West Texas, OK, WY, MT when the highways were iced over, semi's and cars in the ditch, sometimes on their sides...we had planned a trip, weather moved in while we were traveling...I flipped into 4x4, slowed down and kept going while the others were stranded or wrecked. Just saying...if this type situation is "unlikely" for you, by all means, go with your gut!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Talk me out of 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
… There have been times, even without towing the AS, in West Texas, OK, WY, MT when the highways were iced over, semi's and cars in the ditch, sometimes on their sides...we had planned a trip, weather moved in while we were traveling...I flipped into 4x4, slowed down and kept going while the others were stranded or wrecked. Just saying...if this type situation is "unlikely" for you, by all means, go with your gut![emoji41]

In WA, when tire chains are required to be used when crossing one of the mountain passes, 4WD & AWD are not required to chain up (about 99% of the time anyway. They’re required to carry chains but they’re usually not required to be installed). I run winter tires (3PMSF) 24/7/365 to avoid the inevitable unexpected snowstorms.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
On the subject having but not needing..

Don't leave home without the 4WD, 4x4, lockers, crawl control, low-range, 35s, AT tires, 5" lift, and traction boards. Then again, this is probably taking it too far. Really more about combining the hobby of Airstreaming and Overlanding.

At least it won't be a matter of don't have but need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LXAS.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	398068
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Talk me out of 2WD

I’m feeling inadequate with 33s no lift on the truck and a 3” lift on the Airstream.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I bought my Tundra 5.7 brand new in 2008. I wanted 2wd because it was about 4K cheaper, 1 mpg better fuel economy, marginally better payload, lower maintenance costs and it had electronic limited slip. After 13 years and 125k miles I have learned that the electronic limited slip really doesn’t work, but I have never gotten into a situation where I have gotten stuck. Now if and when that happens sometime, I do have a set of tire chains in the truck bed that should allow me to get unstuck. I am glad that I bought 2wd and I would do it again, but I would like to have a locking differential for the rear end.

Dan.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6592.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	398075
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote