Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aledo , Texas
6.2 Denali XL

We tow our 19í Bambi with a 2019 XL 2wd and the 6.2 & 10spd and often you forget itís back there. That engine could definitely handle quite a bit more but Iím not sure Iíd personally go beyond 23-25í just because of payload. We are family of 6 and went on a 3 state trip and put as much gear as we could in the trailer to ease the payload on the truck. It definitely sucks down the gas and premium is recommended for optimum performance, so itís pricey. One of the really nice things on the Denali with tow package is the leveling suspension. Levels it right up!
TXtugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:12 PM   #22

2024 25' Globetrotter
Lehi , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantostream View Post
Hello I was wondering if anyone was running this combination and if you could give me you input on handling, crosswinds and emergency situations.
New generation Tahoe with independent rear suspension.
Thanks in advance.
It is funny that you should ask because that is exactly what I had as a TV. My setup 2023 Globetrotter 25FT, 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe Duramax Diesel, HD equalizer Hitch, Rear Hitch for bike rack / Generator (Generator or Bike Rack not attached this trip). I had really researched this out and (felt) that I had made the right choice. My Sweetheart wanted a Tahoe so she could drive it, I have pulled Trailers in the past and Fifth wheels and always used a Truck or back then the Big Ford Excursion with the Diesel and never had trailer sway. Our first trip from Utah to Arizona was one of the worst experiences in towing I have ever had. The specs were correct but the wheel base I think was too short, because what ever I did with the Equalizer Hitch, I still had trailer sway each time we had someone pass us. It was so bad that it was not relaxing to drive because I was always on hight alert because it would get out of bounds often. I came home and sold it and purchased a GMC 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax. The 3500 is over kill, I could have got a 2500 but the price difference was very little. I tried to make my sweetheart happy by getting the Tahoe and regretted it. As I look at it, I want to be able to make an emergency maneuver and have the trailer obey. Hope this helps, I found the Tahoe way under trucked for any type of emergency maneuver.
ajairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:51 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Payload rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have never heard of an F150 with that size payload rating; can you please take a picture and post of your door sticker? (Thanks). As for the WDH and Anti Sway Bars (not torsion bars), which WDH did you use?? Many of us have different WDH with SC hitch set ups; I use the Blue Ox currently, (last 3 Airstreams) and never have had a problem when adjusted properly. Would be very interested in which model you had issues with? Thanks for sharing.
The payload rating on our F150 with the heavy duty payload is 2464 pounds (not the 2800 I guessed in my previous post). Iíve attached a picture of the door tag showing that.

Yes. It is difficult to find that option on F150s. I had to do a lot of searching to get it. We needed it because we carry a boat on top of the F150 and an outboard motor inside. And I didnít want to get an F250 unless I had to. 2464 pounds of payload gives us plenty of cushion.

And we use the Blue Ox torsion bars. They do a great job. I had the Airstream dealer install and adjust them on the Suburban. I remember even with that, approaching vehicles often flashed us to dim our lights, even though the lights were on dim. We donít have that issue with the F150.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8305.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	442956  
steeliedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:39 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Thanks, thats what I was scared of.
wantostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeliedave View Post
The payload rating on our F150 with the heavy duty payload is 2464 pounds (not the 2800 I guessed in my previous post). I’ve attached a picture of the door tag showing that.

Yes. It is difficult to find that option on F150s. I had to do a lot of searching to get it. We needed it because we carry a boat on top of the F150 and an outboard motor inside. And I didn’t want to get an F250 unless I had to. 2464 pounds of payload gives us plenty of cushion.

And we use the Blue Ox torsion bars. They do a great job. I had the Airstream dealer install and adjust them on the Suburban. I remember even with that, approaching vehicles often flashed us to dim our lights, even though the lights were on dim. We don’t have that issue with the F150.
Ahhh; the BO is a great WDH, IMHO. I know if your receiver/A frame on the AS is "level" after you drop it on the ball, the front inside fender lip should be within a 1/2" of where it was prior to dropping on the ball. If it isn't within the 1/2" like you mention, need to either go up a link or 2 on the chains, or likely the issue is, the sway bars are too small weight wise, for that trailer? We have 1500lb bars on our 28'AS; we had 1000lb bars on our 25'AS. Dealer. I know some folks here actually use 750lbs bars with their 25's, although for most folks with a newer 25', the tongue weight is over 1000lbs, so 750 would be too small, if you ask BO technical folks. Have you called BO and discussed the issue? They likely will ask first question which bars you have. (by the way, thanks for posting that pic of the door jamb; crazy to see that weight on a 150!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
You want the longer wheel base with a 25-27í nuff said

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:01 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantostream View Post
Hello I was wondering if anyone was running this combination and if you could give me you input on handling, crosswinds and emergency situations.
New generation Tahoe with independent rear suspension.
Thanks in advance.

By the numbers alone, you will most likely be over the stated limits of Tahoe. If I recall the Tahoe has about a 7600lb rating combined with a payload of 1834lbs and a fairly short wheelbase for a 27'. The 27' will prob have a hitch weight of approx 900-1000lbs depending on a few variables and can weight upward of 7600lbs wet, so I'd start looking at something else.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
If you're buying a Tahoe (as in you don't own it already), go for the 6.2L engine, not the 5.3L. The 6.2L has 420HP and 460 Ft*lbs of torque. It'll get 'er done. I'm very happy with my Yukon Denali with this engine. Plenty of power. Would an HD truck tow better? yes. And the Yukon works fine. I'm under all of the ratings for my Yukon with the Globetrotter 27'.

I did install Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (helper springs) this year so that the truck doesn't sit so low when the engine is off and the auto-ride-height shuts off on the Denali. But it doesn't do much (don't need it) when the the auto-ride-height kicks in when the engine is running. The Yukon/Tahoe is a fine TV. I do think the XL/Suburban would be better with the longer wheel base. But heck, I own the Yukon and it works just fine.
:-)
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 02:37 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
If you're buying a Tahoe (as in you don't own it already), go for the 6.2L engine, not the 5.3L. The 6.2L has 420HP and 460 Ft*lbs of torque. It'll get 'er done. I'm very happy with my Yukon Denali with this engine. Plenty of power. Would an HD truck tow better? yes. And the Yukon works fine. I'm under all of the ratings for my Yukon with the Globetrotter 27'.

I did install Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (helper springs) this year so that the truck doesn't sit so low when the engine is off and the auto-ride-height shuts off on the Denali. But it doesn't do much (don't need it) when the the auto-ride-height kicks in when the engine is running. The Yukon/Tahoe is a fine TV. I do think the XL/Suburban would be better with the longer wheel base. But heck, I own the Yukon and it works just fine.
:-)
Agreed. The consensus appears to be that the XL is the better option.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:48 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
I would have normally agreed with this, however, I was just at the GM dealer service center this past Sat and there was an Escalade on the lift with most of the front end torn apart and top of the engine torn apart as well. It was a 2021 or 2022. Asked the service rep what gives with such open heart surg on such a new vehicle. Told me the 6.2L in particular, with displacement on demand nearly totaled the engine. I said, really? He said yes, it's major problem on 2019 to 2022ish models, maybe even as late as 2023. Apparently as the vehicle ages, there is some valve or gizmo that facilitates the reactivation of the other 4 cylinders. It has been know to stick on several occasions, and when it does, the engine is out of alignment in terms of valve position in the combustion process, basically destroying the engine or in this Caddy's case, bent a fair number of the push rods. Supposedly, the rep tells me that they fixed the issue. Naturally I ask, what happens if it's out of the powertrain warranty, given it's a defect they corrected....said its about $15k to replace the engine and GM won't touch it with a 10 foot pole once the warranty is out.

I had friends have issues with DOD as well on vehicles around the 2007 vintange and if you do a google search there are entire groups dedicated to helping you get rid of the DOD feature that apparently has been fairly problematic since day one. I don't put a lot of stock into the comment GM fixed it because I know that this has been an issue of varying degree since at least 2007.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:37 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfranklin View Post
I would have normally agreed with this, however, I was just at the GM dealer service center this past Sat and there was an Escalade on the lift with most of the front end torn apart and top of the engine torn apart as well. It was a 2021 or 2022. Asked the service rep what gives with such open heart surg on such a new vehicle. Told me the 6.2L in particular, with displacement on demand nearly totaled the engine. I said, really? He said yes, it's major problem on 2019 to 2022ish models, maybe even as late as 2023. Apparently as the vehicle ages, there is some valve or gizmo that facilitates the reactivation of the other 4 cylinders. It has been know to stick on several occasions, and when it does, the engine is out of alignment in terms of valve position in the combustion process, basically destroying the engine or in this Caddy's case, bent a fair number of the push rods. Supposedly, the rep tells me that they fixed the issue. Naturally I ask, what happens if it's out of the powertrain warranty, given it's a defect they corrected....said its about $15k to replace the engine and GM won't touch it with a 10 foot pole once the warranty is out.

I had friends have issues with DOD as well on vehicles around the 2007 vintange and if you do a google search there are entire groups dedicated to helping you get rid of the DOD feature that apparently has been fairly problematic since day one. I don't put a lot of stock into the comment GM fixed it because I know that this has been an issue of varying degree since at least 2007.
I liked the Tahoe "idea" for towing our 25's, however, agree; the 5.3L was not enough when towing in the Rockies, especially compared to the F150 3.5 Echoboost we ultimatly ended up buying. I went thru two models of that engine with "new" Tahoes, before getting the F150 Echoboost. Last Tahoe was a 2011; night and day difference towing vs the Echoboost at that time. I was thinking the 6.2 would be much better; too bad they are having issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote