Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNarbutov View Post
All,

Either a 1500 hemi V8 or a tundra iforce 5.7l it is.
Make sure that you check the door placards for the cargo capacity on the truck you choose before closing the deal. The loaded tongue weight of a 27FB, including the WD hitch, (they are heavy a hell) is well north of 1000 lbs and will not leave much residual cargo capacity of many a 1/2 ton. There are numerous folks on this forum who have purchased a 1/2 ton just to have to revisit that decision after discovering that it was not enough TV.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisemdb60 View Post
Is your Tacoma an automatic? At highway speeds does it struggle to get in 6th gear? We are looking at a Flying Cloud 19 CB. Just wondering how that pairing might work. Our Tacoma is a 2017 TRD off road, obviously with a tow package.
My Tacoma is a 2016, so basically the same as yours but an SR5. The transmission is wonky whether I'm towing a trailer or not. It's just dying to get into 6th gear, but any kind of grade it has to drop, and instead of dropping to 5th it goes straight to 4th, then takes off like a bat out of hell and immediately tries to get back into 6th. The transmission is my only complaint about the truck and I'm pretty sure they just picked lame shift points to get the best gas mileage. I'm on an 8k mile trip right now pulling my FC20 which weighs more than the 19' and it's a great match. I'm getting about 14mph average.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
Interesting to watch this evolve. Post originally ask for help on a topic the poster is short of experience on. After a large amount of input from people with experience, thatís discarded. Why?

Iím a pilot.

So am I, probably not the same class of plane. I cannot think of anything related to flying thatís similar to a heavy trailer pushing around too light of a tow vehicle. Itís a different pucker.

Most plane crashes are the result of a series of small decisions that by themselves seem harmless. Add 4 or 5 of them together along with operating at the edge of your abilityís, then you got the formula for a mistake.

Good luck bucking the odds for those enjoyable 100 miles.
You mean you don't routinely have another plane pull out in front of you or swerve into your lane in the middle of a flight?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNarbutov View Post
All,

Quick update then I'll sign off from this thread.

Being a pilot with experience moving heavyweight machinery was merely mentioned to provide context that if it's under the placarded weight, it's under the placarded weight. Risk management decisions take that into account and there are other ways of mitigating risk that just going down in weight or up in towing capacity, though those are the two easiest ways.

After running the actual number weight and balance, with my camper shell and nerf bars, I will not be able to fit anyone but myself in the Tacoma due to MGVWR so I won't be using the Tacoma to tow the airstream, despite the weight of it being 700lbs below MTW. Either a 1500 hemi V8 or a tundra iforce 5.7l it is.

I for one was really rooting for you. I have spent the last ten years driving a 34ft class c that was so ridiculously heavy I donít know how it was legal to operate, it would literally cook the brakes going through the Shenandoahs. Then added a diesel pusher that was not practical for us. I found myself really caught up in this thread and was quite stressed out about my truck before driving 900 miles to pick up our new 27fb globetrotter, which is much heavier than your model. My F-150 4x4 2.7 has a tow rating of 7600lbs and after reading this thread one would of thought it was going to fall apart if I tried to tow with it. I am glad I didnít let it effect me as after a few hundred miles towing I could not be happier. Most just talk about payload numbers and tongue weight but donít understand that a well set up WDH will distribute that tongue weight to the front axle as well as the trailer axles gaining some cargo capacity. I mean if you are really talking about only towing it home and a small amount here and there go for it. Get yourself a rear suspension air spring/helper to help take out some of the squat and the WDH, adjusted properly, will take care of the rest. If you will be under your trucks GCWR and do not plan on full-timing just keep the speed down to where you are comfortable, ie donít try to go 70mph!
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
... Most plane crashes are the result of a series of small decisions that by themselves seem harmless. Add 4 or 5 of them together along with operating at the edge of your abilityís, then you got the formula for a mistake.

Good luck bucking the odds for those enjoyable 100 miles.

Itís the same way with most traffic collisions (i.e. speed too fast for conditions and following too closely combined with poor or inadequate equipment and driver fatigue, inattention, inexperience, or intoxication, et. al.).

After a career investigating crashes I prefer to err on the side of caution.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill502 View Post
I found myself really caught up in this thread and was quite stressed out about my truck before driving 900 miles to pick up our new 27fb globetrotter, which is much heavier than your model. My F-150 4x4 2.7 has a tow rating of 7600lbs and after reading this thread one would of thought it was going to fall apart if I tried to tow with it.
I do not see where a 27fb GT is "much" heavier than a 27FC. Overall it is about 300 lbs more unloaded but it has the very same 7600lb GVWR. Hitch weight is also pretty much the same.

While your truck is rated to tow 7600 lbs, I personally would not be comfortable towing at, are very near, the max all the time. At the very least this will cause drivetrain and chassis components to wear out at an accelerated rate.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I do not see where a 27fb GT is "much" heavier than a 27FC. Overall it is about 300 lbs more unloaded but it has the very same 7600lb GVWR. Hitch weight is also pretty much the same.

While your truck is rated to tow 7600 lbs, I personally would not be comfortable towing at, are very near, the max all the time. At the very least this will cause drivetrain and chassis components to wear out at an accelerated rate.

He is talking about extremely minimal use until his larger capacity tv is available. Also my GT has a empty weight of 6400lbs which was about 500lbs higher than what I saw on the 27FCís.
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quitter!

(Just kidding - don't do it if you're not comfortable...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill502 View Post
He is talking about extremely minimal use until his larger capacity tv is available. Also my GT has a empty weight of 6400lbs which was about 500lbs higher than what I saw on the 27FCís.
Exactly. This is why I would have done it. One time deal, just drive a little slower.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #89
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can't imagine why a Tundra would have trouble in the Texas hills (see post 65). I have towed up hugh passes in Colorado for years and the truck climbs pretty easily unless you like going 80 up hill. Was that Tundra one with a smaller engine than the 5.7 liter?

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote