Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
SUVs and 16' Bambi

We are planning on purchasing our first Airstream, a 16' Bambi. We want an SUV for a tow vehicle to use primarily for running around, but also the occasional weekend trailer outing. It would be just the two of us without a lot of extra gear. I'd prefer a two row seating SUV, but most have a tow capacity of 3500 (with a tow package) - is that enough or should I be looking at a three row SUV with a tow capacity of 5000+? (I don't want to be the guy going up hills with a string of cars behind him, but I'd like to get decent gas mileage while unhitched.) Appreciate the advice.

P.S. Should mention that I currently live in Chicago, but the trailer will be based on Western Washington, which has a few hills and mountain passes.
micsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Toyota Sequoia, or a Yukon/Tahoe would work well. But there are others that would be fine.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I promised myself I would stay out of towing threads, but since you are a fellow 16 footer and not getting a lot of help I am going to jump in and out. Certainly any full-size SUV will do a great job, and more robust midsize (like the Ford Explorer) also would work very well towing.

Disclosure: My bias is towards the higher end of performance while towing and margins of safety. I do not envy the tradeoff decision of the smaller vehicle in town vs. the larger vehicle on the road (especially in the mountains and/or at elevation).
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You should be able to find multiple options to suit your needs. Run the numbers (pay attention to payload, maximum hitch ratings, axle ratings, etc.) and pick the one that makes the most sense for you.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
Maryville , TN
I pull a 2022 Bambi 16rb with a 2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk rated at 7200, payload 1496. It has the 5.7 V8, towing package/cooling, and I use anti-sway bar. No issues so far pulling the camper and the engine is more than adequate. Gas mileage? It has the hemi with the cylinder deactivation technology. Supposedly helps with gas mileage...i get about 16 (bit of a heavy foot) around town and about 23/24 on highway not towing. Towing I get about 12.

It has the airlift suspension which comes in handy when vehicle height and hitch height differ when hooking up and for leveling when driving.

For us, its a great balance of general around town usability not being too large, while having more than enough capability for towing.
TravisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Ford Explorer Sport or ST with 6 cylinder EcoBoost engine. It's great on hills and high altitude.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsch View Post
We are planning on purchasing our first Airstream, a 16' Bambi. We want an SUV for a tow vehicle to use primarily for running around, but also the occasional weekend trailer outing. It would be just the two of us without a lot of extra gear. I'd prefer a two row seating SUV, but most have a tow capacity of 3500 (with a tow package) - is that enough or should I be looking at a three row SUV with a tow capacity of 5000+? (I don't want to be the guy going up hills with a string of cars behind him, but I'd like to get decent gas mileage while unhitched.) Appreciate the advice.

P.S. Should mention that I currently live in Chicago, but the trailer will be based on Western Washington, which has a few hills and mountain passes.
Ever consider a van? Can pick one up relatively reasonably, nice long wheel base. Nothing beats being able to load the tools, bike n dogs in and roll.

Cheap and easy to fix and pretty much bullet proof. Tows great.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #8
Snow Chasing Dog Wrangler

2018 16' Sport
Golden , Colorado
We tow our 16' Bambi with a Nissan Pathfinder (rated at 5k lbs). Only "upgrades" are tires with high load rating and a Blue OX WD hitch. I strongly recommend a WD hitch if the SUV has primarily front wheel drive.
AirstreamAbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
When we had a 16’ Bambi we towed it with a Toyota Highlander (5,000 lb towing capacity). I towed great for us in the Pacific Northwest.
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
MICSCH,
Reading thru these replies, it's pretty unanimous (and I'd highly recommend) a mid-size SUV or van over a smaller SUV. The Tow Vehicles with a 5000 capacity are significantly better equipped for towing a Bambi.

We tow our 16' Bambi behind a Ford Explorer all over Washington State without any difficulty. Do be prepared for about 12-14 mpg while towing. And about 18-21 mpg when not towing.

Have fun. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
I don't want to be the guy going up hills with a string of cars behind him, but I'd like to get decent gas mileage . . .

A higher tow rating is not necessarily going to correlate with better hill climbing performance.

On level ground, trailer weight is a very small factor where fuel economy is concerned. And 3500 lbs is a modest weight.

Any car/small SUV with an engine that produces more than 200 lbs-ft of torque is likely to provide good performance. With a 16’, payload will only be an issue if you carry a lot of heavy stuff in the tow vehicle. The critical factors are having a robust trailer hitch receiver and a properly set up weight distributing hitch.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is, in my opinion, the Swiss Army Knife of SUVs and has great towing capabilities: 6200 lbs for the V6 Pentastar and 7200 lbs for the Hemi V8 when equipped with the towing package. It would make a solid choice for the Bambi 16’ even though it could easily tow a much larger trailer.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Grand Cherokee would be perfect. I towed a 19’ with mine when I first got into airstreams. Capacity 5000lb for the six cyl, just watch the tongue weight

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Orlando , Florida
A midsize SUV and good/decent fuel economy don’t necessarily go together. I tow an FB23 with a Mercedes ML350 diesel. It’s a 2014, but it gets 30mpg on the highway not towing and 14-16 mpg towing. And because of dieselgate the drivetrain is still under warranty. So I make the case that VW/Porsche (not Audi) or Mercedes diesels make good choice if you can keep up on the maintenance.
You have lots of choices with looking at midsize SUVs.
Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Redding , California
My advice: log onto Best Vehicles and Worst Vehicles at carcomplaints.com. Also visit the many Scotty Kilmer videos on YouTube. 99% of the vehicle recommendations in this thread won't survive the cut. The internet is an amazing tool for research - use it.
dcarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #16
Little Silver Nugget ™

2020 16' Bambi
Warren , Ohio
Quote:

Bambi 16’ great for two! Towed first with a Volvo XC 90. Was good for short runs, but eventually did seem to be a “drag” even with tow capc. of 4500. Would recommend a “true” tow vehicle or SUV with a muscle engine and/or transmission. You fell much more confident and can trailer at will. We got a F150 with V8 and axle displacement for towing. Solid travels! Now working on other little things. TST tire system, automatic tongue , cellular antenna, etc. Welcome to Airstreaming !! #LittleSilverNugget
rossijfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
Bambi 16, excellent choice for you all. You won't be disappointed. My wife and I had a Bambi 19cb (we now have a Caravel 19cb, in which we live full time). We towed our Bambi with a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/tow package, which was rated at 4,500 lbs towing capacity and #450 lbs. tongue weight. We used a Blue Ox w/d hitch. We lived in the Ozarks which has short, but very steep grades, steeper and longer than the final mile approach to Panther Pass in BBNP, for example, to where we had taken our unit a couple of vacations. The Cherokee's RPM's would increase and the gears would shift down, but we never had a problem maintaining speed and had insignificant increase in engine and transmission temperatures at highway speeds.

The combination worked for our purposes (weekends and vacations). We had no problems. The Jeep was also our daily driver and our only vehicle.

That's our experience. Other than our experience I make no claims that I know what I'm talking about, except I'll say that a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk w/tow package would have been a better combination, but we already had the Cherokee.

What do we tow our Caravel with? A Jeep Gladiator w/tow package. I can recommend that combo. Our MPG? I can, without exaggeration, report never less than 15.5.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Stuart , Florida
Towing a 16' Caravel with a Jeep "Overland" Gladiator. Nice combo with Firestone air bags in rear coil springs. Tow "on the ball" and have had no issues with Sway. 520 lbs on the hitch weight. Not sure what a Bambi 16' would be. Printed Airstream numbers are lower then the "real deal". Watch your FEDERAL (on door sticker of any car) Gross Cargo weight rating. That includes adding up your hitch weight, fuel, people, items that you are carry in the back seats or in this case, also the pickup bed.
Mighty Mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I towed my 16’ Bambi with both a Toyota Tacoma and then my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the tow package, so 6200 towing capacity. It is a great rig, smooth handling and excellent response for the combo.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Thanks to all who responded. Lots of great comments and they are a big help!
micsch is offline   Reply With Quote