Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Exclamation There goes "Andy" towing & blowing by at 100 m.p.h.!

I think the following excerpt from this guys' post in another Forum (link listed above) pretty much sums up his attitude

"In the interests of science I have towed Airstreams with performance tires on cars at 100 mph with no problem other than the CB aerial gets red hot with truckers comments...."

I just hope that everyone else on the freeway is at least 1/4 mile behind or ahead of him when he disintegrates
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

I found this and I hope Im allowed to post in here. Dont know how true it is, but it seems to follow other guidelines I've seen.

I think the biggest thing in all is to be sentive to Speed and Space managment, bottom line. Good Eye lead time and at least 6 seconds following distance.

Thanks

Will
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #23
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hey Silvertwinkie, this andy thomson sure seems to got it going, what an arrogant fellow he is.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lightbulb In all fairness Silvertwinkie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I read Andy Thompsons post and would bet the farm the guy is somewhat nuts. I'd take what he posts with a grain of salt, then throw the salt grain away.

I have a Burb (3/4) and I tow our 25' widebody without issue. I'd put that combo against Andy Thompson's rig every day of the week and 2x on Sunday...Hensley or not.

This is the guy that tows a 34' Airstream with a Dodge Intrepid....nuff said.
I bet the Intrepid has a supercharger w/ a nitrous oxide tank in the trunk...
He could kick your *ss in a trailer towing drag race

Wait a minute ....

They race lawnmowers & tractors why not race travel trailers
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
Hey Silvertwinkie, this andy thomson sure seems to got it going, what an arrogant fellow he is.
I don't know if he's arrogant, but Forrest Gump's mama said it best, stupid is as stupid does.

Just because something can be done, or is done, doesn't mean by default it's correct. I drive very fast on the expressway (non-towing), I can, but I shouldn't.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
LOL!

I bet yer right on about that....and I'd gladly hand that win to him without contest! Just hope everyone here and everyone I know is far away from him when he's just towing that Airstream, let alone racing with it at 100mph.

If I recall there was a HUGE post about this clown a few years ago.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Respectfully, this thread is NOT in an off topic forum, so can we bring it back on topic for the original poster?
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hi All,
I'm posting my 2 cents worth on this as a new A/S owner. I pulled my '26 Overlander 850 miles from Colorado Springs to Phoenix (maiden journey) with my 2004 Toyota Tundra. I have the big engine and the tow package with the built on transmission cooler. I was very pleased with how she pulled that hunk of aluminum over Wolf Creek Pass without even complaining. I felt like I had good control and was able to pull at the posted speed limit without difficulty. The Toyota SUV model uses the same frame and engine, so maybe you should look at that. I've always been a big Ford person and tow my horses with an F-250 Super Diesel, but I love my Toyota for it's guts and comfort.
Robin out
Old 03-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #29
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Sure why not, Stan & Merilyn as stated above if you would post what trailer model that you are looking at, that would be of great help for TV choice.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Respectfully, this thread is NOT in an off topic forum, so can we bring it back on topic for the original poster?
I don't see how this has gotton away from the topic, except now.....
Old 03-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up You are absolutely right.....

Quote:
I would not recommend you have Andy Thompson do the towing setup on the new tow vehicle you finally decide to purchase because...

"Last year we set about 500 trailer and vehicle combinations and...... if it is not going to be right I don’t touch it......."

Remove not from the above quote by Andy Thompson...ahem

Excuse me for now, I am leaving to fuel my Suburban at the local airport with super high octane & must leave within the hour from Ohio if I am going to be in Orlando, Florida in three hours with my Airstream in tow....
Old 03-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #32
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
SUV for TOWING

Stan & Marilyn--You live in Colorado where they have mountains, so you need a real tow vehicle, to tow an A/S. I have towed A/S's with a variety of vans and Suburbans for 18-years and recommend a Suburban as follows: A/S up to 27' a 1/2 ton 5.7L or 5.3L, with a 4.10 rear. A/S over 27' a 3/4 ton 7.4L or 8.1L. with a 4.10 rear. The newer the Suburban, the better. Tow in Drive-3. You will like the 4.10 rear best. Forget the Tahoe, as it is next to impossible to find with a 4.10 rear, doesn't have enough room for your stuff, shorter wheel base tows poorer, price and mileage same as a Suburban--which is not as hard to park as you think. Forget about fuel mileage. The big costs are depreciation and maintenance. The difference in fuel costs among any vehicles that can tow an A/S are small, and the up front extra cost of a diesel plus higher maintenance cost will not give you any $ savings. When you get your A/S and tow vehicle together on the road, you'r going to love it.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek

Wait a minute ....

They race lawnmowers & tractors why not race travel trailers
How is THIS on topic, or of any help to the original poster? I'm not going to nanny you guys as we are all big bigs, but racing lawnmowers is not of ANY help to the original poster. This is the end I will speak of this. I'm all for a little fun, but mostly when appropriate. I don't want to pull this off-topic, as you are now forcing me to do.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Talking I think us "big bigs" have moved on ......

Quote:
How is THIS on topic, or of any help to the original poster? I'm not going to nanny you guys as we are all big bigs, but racing lawnmowers is not of ANY help to the original poster. This is the end I will speak of this. I'm all for a little fun, but mostly when appropriate. I don't want to pull this off-topic, as you are now forcing me to do.
No one is forcing you to do anything...certainly not this big big!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
Tahoe towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
Stan & Marilyn--You live in Colorado where they have mountains, so you need a real tow vehicle, to tow an A/S. I have towed A/S's with a variety of vans and Suburbans for 18-years and recommend a Suburban as follows: A/S up to 27' a 1/2 ton 5.7L or 5.3L, with a 4.10 rear. A/S over 27' a 3/4 ton 7.4L or 8.1L. with a 4.10 rear. The newer the Suburban, the better. Tow in Drive-3. You will like the 4.10 rear best. Forget the Tahoe, as it is next to impossible to find with a 4.10 rear, doesn't have enough room for your stuff, shorter wheel base tows poorer, price and mileage same as a Suburban--which is not as hard to park as you think. Forget about fuel mileage. The big costs are depreciation and maintenance. The difference in fuel costs among any vehicles that can tow an A/S are small, and the up front extra cost of a diesel plus higher maintenance cost will not give you any $ savings. When you get your A/S and tow vehicle together on the road, you'r going to love it.--Frank S
OK,
I need info about towing but don't want to get into the argument, so please don't make me part of it. I have a 73 Overlander that I plan to tow with a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.7L engine and a tow package next week in southern Colorado and northern Arizona, am I going to be thrown around like a rag doll? I towed it 150 miles home last September with its old running gear and it did OK in southern New Mexico. I was driving 65 miles per hour and was not thrown around when large trucks passed me but I wasn't climbing or going down large mountings either. The AS is supposed to weigh about 4300 lbs and my Tahoe has a tow limit of 7400, am I in trouble?
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #36
APB
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
Here is a link to an article that does a very nice job of describing how to match a tow vehicle and trailer.

ON Edit: It doesn't address the wheelbase issue, however. There is a general guideline for recommended wheelbase for the length of the trailer. Something like 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and 4" for each additional foot. Anyone?, Anyone?.

Dennis
This seems a little extreme in the longer lengths. If I understand correctly you are saying that for a 34' trailer you would need a minimum wheel base of 110+14x4=166". After a quick search the only vehicles I see in that range are long bed crew cabs.

I would bet an extremely high percentage >95% of 34' trailers are towed with shorter wheelbase TV with out great problems. This is based only on my observation and not any real data.

What is the source or rational for the recommendation?

Bluegrass is flat picking good!
APB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
There are many factors relating to a TV that influence stability. Wheelbase is just one factor and with the higher quality connection systems (ie Hensley etc) the wheelbase seems to be less and less important.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
I have two Suburbans, an 1989 4x4 and a 2004 2wd.
Both have small blocks in them with automatic and overdrive.
I have a 27' A/S and she pulls real well with the 4x4, stable and I have the super hitch with levelers and anti sway bars.
I just went 400 miles this last week over Snoqualmie pass in Washington.
The old 89, just purrs along, at the steepest part, of the pass, I just put on my four way blinkers and drop her into second gear and just cruise at about 40mph, it doesn't even overheat, great rig. Freeway speed on the flat, it maintains a clean 60-65 mph without breathing hard.....
The 2004 gets about 21 on the hwy without a trailer behind her the 89 gets about 15 without the trailer on the freeway.
When I tow with the 1989, I know it drops the mpg noticeably. Still cheaper than any hotel.
I only burn Chevron High test fuel....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
MarilynPerlm

We went through the process 2 air described. Picked the Trailer we wanted. Found a tow vehicle and then the hitch to wed them. Being methodical and addressing everything step by step is the only way to get to answers that make sense.

There is a wealth of great information on the airforum threads, just exercise caution becuase sometimes the information is perfect in some situations but not others. Be especially wary of stuff you read on tow capacity with an SUV. We had a raft of people (basically anyone not on airforums we asked) assured us all sorts of things that we are quite pleased we did not listen to.

We had some of the same issues as you, we wanted a "car" we could drive when needed but something that would more than adequately tow our new AS (not to mention the bigger one everyone keeps telling us we'll sooner or later end up with!). We settled on a Ford Expedition and are very pleased with it as both a car and tow vehicle. It has a lot of great features and drives well. Pricing, for what it offered, to us seemed excellent. We used a buying service that helped get us a great deal. We opted for an XLT with no options. At no options i've still been calling Captain Kirk and Dr. Spock with questions about all the gizmos. Good value, good tow capacity, really nice features, etc.

And the Expedition comes in a metallic silver that just looks ooooh gooood with an Airstream. Although i'm sure looking very cool on the road is not an issue to any of us!

If any of this is of interest be happy to give you more info.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Looking cool, is still an issue with me.
I like 'cool' geezers.
Cool, starts on the inside though and I'm not talking about my A/S...
LOL..................
howco is offline   Reply With Quote