Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
suspension upgrades

anyone out there have the firestone airbags on their trucks or the work-rite load assist springs?

2012 silverado crew cab
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Aftermarket airbags do nothing to improve towing, they would only pick-up the rear end when loaded.
They do not increase payload, tire and axle rating are whats important in that regard.
I doubt your Silverado would squat much with your trailer.

Add-on helper springs could stiffen the suspension considerably and damage the trailer.

Bob
Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Yes, I added the Firestone Bags. Aided in keeping TT/TV level. Improved ride slightly and yes they do not increase any load capacities.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
pardon me if this is a silly question, but don't you use the weight distribution bars to get your TV level? in absence of a per axle scale each time I hitch, I adjust the bar tension so that the front and rear TV axles show the same amount of drop relative to their unloaded conditions.

Since I have built in autoleveling, I keep the care OFF until I'm done adjusting the WD bars, then turn the ignition on and it typically does no adjustment or a very minor one
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
pardon me if this is a silly question, but don't you use the weight distribution bars to get your TV level? in absence of a per axle scale each time I hitch, I adjust the bar tension so that the front and rear TV axles show the same amount of drop relative to their unloaded conditions.

Since I have built in autoleveling, I keep the care OFF until I'm done adjusting the WD bars, then turn the ignition on and it typically does no adjustment or a very minor one
Yes...in most cases you can get the rear suspension pretty darn close with the bars'.

Note....rear would drop, front raise.
Measurements can work but CAT scale weights are more accurate if your loading changes.

Bob
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post

Yes, that's the way it works. It is important to return back and front of tow truck to it's original attitude, not just the front.

I've been seeing some folks returning only the front axle to original "steering geometry" with inadequate w.d. hitches, and calling it good to go. That's not weight distribution. The result is reduced handling and braking, and light steering when you need them most.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
I have the Kelderman complete front and rear level ride air bag system installed on my 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 HD using Firestone 5,000 pound rated bags on each side of the rear. All the steel springs were removed. The axle is rated 6,010 pounds and the Michelin LT265/70R17E tires carry 3,005 pounds each on the rear at 70psi or 3,195 pounds at 80 psi. Thus the rear air bags are never over loaded as the weak link in the suspension chain is the rear axle rating.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have the Air Lift load lifter 5000 on my 2006 Ford F250. They are great for keeping it level when hauling heavy loads and for getting the trailer with it's 1050 pounds of tongue weight dialed in level.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I'm not looking to increase payload - only take out some of the sag, not real keen on having to put in air all the time either
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
The Kelderman air suspension system I installed has it's own air compressor and three gallon air tank on board and automatically keeps the truck level. I can dump the rear suspension air to get the tailgate lower where I can more easlily load things into the bed. I also have an air chuck beside the license plate so the 25' air hose can add air to both the truck and trailer wheels if necessary.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
You get also get a compressor kit for Firestone air springs (bags). Not cheap but you can inflate and deflate from inside of your cab. No manual pump needed.