Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
[QUOTE=Muddy Waters]Good advice about the 16' Bambi. We aren't crazy about the wet bath but at this point we're being flexible. QUOTE]

I chose the 19' Bambi for the full shower and find that I'm really using the Campsite showers anyway...and the shower in the Bambi is just a spot to pile in the 'things' I need at the campground like food and my dufflebags of clothes because there is very little storage in the 19'...
on the other hand, the 16' Bambi has LOADS of storage all over it! More than enough! Ask BamCamper....she travels like CRAZY all over and doesn't miss the wet shower, she uses the higher water pressure and no mess left behind by taking advantage of the roomier campsite showers!
Another major difference is the holding tanks, where if you were really planning boondocking adventures you might need the bigger tanks...but then again, after camping alongside Miss BamCamper...she manages quite well and has even gone to BurningMan this year for over a week!

I think that if you are intent on keeping with the idea of your Pathfinder, maybe get the smaller Bambi...
keeping in mind that from what I read on the forums that most people move up to a larger Airstream eventually.

also notice that there are numerous members who have more than one, say a tiny one and a bigger one....then some have tiny, middle, bigger, one vintage and one newer etc....it's a 'disease' that we're dealing with now...
and the doctor's orders that will come down to managing it will be a larger tow vehicle...just saying....
Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #42
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
The Nissan has a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. The Bambi we're interested in has a fully-loaded weight of 4,500 lbs. It will only be two of us and I don't expect we'll go over that 4,500 lbs. We'll get all the safety features available.

We'll also be using the Nissan as an 'around town' vehicle which was why DH was so concerned about the gas mileage. If we take it on a short trip and it doesn't work out, we'll have to trade it it. Or something. (!).

I use our F250 around town daily - get about 14MPG in town and on highway (13.8 towing). Have less than 14K miles, so it's not 'broken' in yet which means my mileage will improve the older it gets.

You WILL end up carrying more than you think, especially if you go on trips longer than a weekend (& with all the extras you'll be adding to the truck, you're also adding weight). That's not sayin' you won't also be bringing back things from where you've been. And how about the trip with some friends who're bringing their tent & gear with 'em? Loading that pickup right up quick...

Rule of thumb is, when you see 3-4 cars behind you, you need to pull over and let them pass... on any terrain with topography towing your Airstream, y'all have a good chance of pulling over alot. Remember, that's Bubba behind you (& in a hurry)... he's got a six-pack and on his way to see his girl...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Currently towing a 2004 28 safari with a brand new 2008 f150 crew cab with 5.4 and tow pckage. Just came over the rockies and into sacremento and it has done a wonderful job. this is a FFv truck and burned e85 as well. Ford should be on your list as well.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Scared Safe from Airstreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
If towing with a larger vehicle than a V-6 pathfinder is out of the question I am concerened that you are not thinking about safety. WHAT IS MORE INPORTANT....YOUR LIFE...OR A VEHCILE THAT GETS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE. Sorry,, but its a fact. Pay attention to the exsperienced towers. Even with the 19 Bambi you will find that the vehicle you are interested in are marginal at best over the long haul. Longer wheel based V-8 tow vehicles that get worse fuel mileage may save you life. I am so sorry to be so blunt.
Being farily new to this forum, I can relate that our opinions can scare folks away from safe, affordable Airstreaming without even objectively comparing a proposed rig to the manufacturers' recommended safety specifications.

What MuddyWaters wants to buy seems like a safe rig if they understand the specs and load it properly. My rough estimate is below and I'm not sure what I missed that would make this a marginal, unsafe or life threatening rig:

> A 19' Bambi has an empty weight of 3680lbs. (UBW). It's maximum total weight should not exceed 4500 lbs. (GVWR), This means you can put up to 820 lbs of propane, fluids and optins/gear into the Bambi.

> So, even with the Bambi fully loaded to the recommended maximum of 4500lbs, Muddy's rig will still be well under (25%) the Pathfinder's 6000lb towing capacity.

> The next thing to check is the weight load on the Nissan. It has a payload capacity of 1200lbs. Subract from that the actual tongue weight the Bambi will put on the rear of the truck. Depending on how the WD hitch and trailer cargo weights are distributed, this might be in the 500-700lb range. Leaving appx 700-500lbs to put in the truck.

> Finally add the weight of the truck to the total maximum weight that could be put in both the truck and the Bambi. Then compare it to the Nissan's combined weight rating. In this estimate, 4900+4500+700=10,100lbs. Even at maximum recommended loading it is 1,100 lbs under the Nissan's recommended 11,200 lb GCWR.

Although there are some variables like how the trailer load is distributed and how much of the tongue weight is transfered to the trailer wheels, these numbers seem to have a very capable safety margin.

266 HP and 288 ft-lbs torque is more than sufficient power for a 5200lb load. Even then, if the rig seems a bit slow to accelerate or has bad towing mileage, the rear axle ratio can be optimized for towing.

It's a Bambi! Airstreams are light weight travel trailers that can be towed with all manner of vehicles. That is often why many people choose them.

.................Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
If you haven't closed on the 19' Bambi you might want to seriously consider the 16'er - at 3500lbs it a much better match for your tow vehicle.
To follow up and agree with Wayward - sorry, I missed the switch from 4Runner (5000lbs) to Pathfinder (6000lbs).

The Pathfinder is more than adequate for the 19' Bambi.

PS I still recommend taking a look at the 16' Bambi - but that is purely because we love ours so much...;-)
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote