Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #21
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/9...cs/1305?page=1

Still nothing definite.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #22
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
"The warning sheet and electric brake harness were in the glove box and the ball mount and pin were in a box in the cargo area."

Looks like you get to buy your own TT brake controller, should you dare to tow where angels don't tow.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ford (and others) put the same sort of "anti-sway" stuff into their braking systems. It's not at all pretty when it triggers. It's not as bad as a rollover, but it's certainly not anything you would want to depend on to damp things out a few times an hour.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
I have owned Subaru’s for 20 years they are great cars and can carry a pretty good load. One summer we used our forester to pull a small 4 x6 trailer to move my father in law to our house. We went up empty so not to bad but every truck that passed us was felt. Coming home from upstate NY to the Charlotte NC area was hair raising to say the least. I normally would have used my truck (f250) but it was in the shop . Kayaks or bikes are one thing but I will never use my Subaru for a tow again.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
It is always funny for me to read all the testimonials how people are feeling about towing with anything smaller than 1 ton truck.

Subaru Ascent would be regarded as fairly big tow vehicle in Europe. Not sure, if it would be offered in Europe at all. Currently offered Outback is rated to 4,400 lbs in Europe up to 12% grade. And there are many Outbacks towing travel trailers in Europe.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
It is always funny for me to read all the testimonials how people are feeling about towing with anything smaller than 1 ton truck.

Subaru Ascent would be regarded as fairly big tow vehicle in Europe. Not sure, if it would be offered in Europe at all. Currently offered Outback is rated to 4,400 lbs in Europe up to 12% grade. And there are many Outbacks towing travel trailers in Europe.
'Testimonials' are real life experiences as opposed to marketing material and ratings provided by a manufacturer. It would be good to hear more 'real life' experiences before OP makes a decision. IMHO
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
The rest of the world is towing with non truck vehicles. This is also real life experience IMO. Each vehicle has its limitations. You need to aware of them. However, suggesting that subaru is not potentially a good TW is not a good advice IMO.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Next thing you know people with be trying to tow Airstreams with compact cars that only have 100 hp and drum brakes all the way around! (does look like a WD hitch might have helped though!)

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
The title of this post reads: Does anyone have experience yet pulling an Airstream with the new Subaru Ascent which claims a 5000lb towing capability. I have an '03 International CCD 22 ft and am interested.

So why on earth are almost all the posts written here, about telling the world that towing with an Ascent is stupid??????

Somebody asked a question. If you can answer that question then great. If your answer is your egotistical opinion. Then perhaps save it for your friend, or wife, or husband or even your living room wall!!!
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Next thing you know people with be trying to tow Airstreams with compact cars that only have 100 hp and drum brakes all the way around! (does look like a WD hitch might have helped though!)

That’s right up there with “you can’t drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow”. Lack of driver ability is no doubt why insurance rates are so high.

I could drive the rig pictured without issue, almost anywhere.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That’s right up there with “you can’t drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow”. Lack of driver ability is no doubt why insurance rates are so high.

I could drive the rig pictured without issue, almost anywhere.

Yup! I grew up in Buffalo, got my license in the early 80's, before towns started laying down tons of salt on every side street and back alley every time it snowed more than 1/2". From some time in December until some time in March, 90% of the turns I did were controlled fishtails, in a rear wheel drive car of course. First time I drove a front wheel drive car I went to do the usual fishtail, hit the gas and the car promptly went in a staight line and hit the curb. Have not been a fan of front wheel drive since and my Tacoma is barely any better with all the anti-skid and anti-this-that-and the other thing technology it has.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #32
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
The title of this post reads: Does anyone have experience yet pulling an Airstream with the new Subaru Ascent which claims a 5000lb towing capability. I have an '03 International CCD 22 ft and am interested.

So why on earth are almost all the posts written here, about telling the world that towing with an Ascent is stupid??????

Somebody asked a question. If you can answer that question then great. If your answer is your egotistical opinion. Then perhaps save it for your friend, or wife, or husband or even your living room wall!!!
Easy on; I think there was only one poster that just threw that out there.

The problem with TV threads and what they'll tow, is that everyone has an opinion.......not necessarily the same as your own.

To the OP......I would make a call to Andrew at Can-am RV in London Ontario and have a chat with the person who has engineered more cars and SUV's to pull Airstreams than anyone else on earth.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Dallas , Texas
I bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited (towing capacity 5,000 / 500) to tow a 2019 Airstream Sport 22FB (4,500 GVWR / ≈ 400 tongue weight). My Airstream dealer was adamant that I needed a WD hitch. Subaru forums are (quite vehemently) saying that weight-distributing / anti-sway hitches should NOT be used on the Ascent because of its body type as well as its built-in trailer sway control. Thoughts?
danieljhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljhale View Post
I bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited (towing capacity 5,000 / 500) to tow a 2019 Airstream Sport 22FB (4,500 GVWR / ≈ 400 tongue weight). My Airstream dealer was adamant that I needed a WD hitch. Subaru forums are (quite vehemently) saying that weight-distributing / anti-sway hitches should NOT be used on the Ascent because of its body type as well as its built-in trailer sway control. Thoughts?

The Airstream dealer is right. A loaded 22fb can have a tongue weight of 600 lbs, which is too much on the ball. The WDH, set up properly, will give you a vastly better towing experience.

Unibody construction is ideal for weight distribution because it is more rigid in torsion than body on frame construction. The key is a proper receiver with good attachment points.

WDH should not affect the built in stability control. In any event, a proper connection is more important than an electronic aid.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I'm sorry.. My Explorer can tow up to 5,000 lbs with 500 tongue weight limit. I looked at all AS and figured that it is safe for my Explorer to tow 16' sport Bambi or lighter like Basecamp, and Nest.

One of the misconception of mid-size Crossovers (Explorers, Ascent etc) is that we can tow UP to max tow limit. We shouldn't forget the tongue weight limit which had been ignored at some of the threads. From my bad experience I learned the hard way to tow under 75% (maybe 80%) of the max tow limit whether the road is level or not.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #36
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
From my bad experience I learned the hard way to tow under 75% (maybe 80%) of the max tow limit whether the road is level or not.
Just wondering. Do you also recommend driving at 75% of the speed limit at all times, eating no more than 75% of the recommended daily allowance of certain foods, and reducing passenger count so as to only use three of the four seatbelts in a four passenger vehicle?
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I'm sorry.. My Explorer can tow up to 5,000 lbs with 500 tongue weight limit. I looked at all AS and figured that it is safe for my Explorer to tow 16' sport Bambi or lighter like Basecamp, and Nest.

One of the misconception of mid-size Crossovers (Explorers, Ascent etc) is that we can tow UP to max tow limit. We shouldn't forget the tongue weight limit which had been ignored at some of the threads. From my bad experience I learned the hard way to tow under 75% (maybe 80%) of the max tow limit whether the road is level or not.
I always tend to want a cushion on things as well but I am curious as to
what your bad experience was? Are you still towing with the explorer?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljhale View Post
Hi

The gotcha with fancy hitches is that they *do* put forces on the receiver. That's how they get the job done. It's a pretty good bet that some car / truck manufacturers are a bit more conservative than others on receiver ratings. A pound of parts weight is a big deal to these guys. Talk to an automotive engineer if you have any doubt.

On the flip side, Airstream tongue weights are anything but conservative for a fully loaded trailer. Since *you* get to load the trailer, they would have a tough time including your actions.

If you are right at the limit on tongue weight, a hundred+ pounds of hitch / shank has to go somewhere. .... zip .... over the limit.

Unless you want to go off and weight at a CAT scale as part of every trip (and then adjust loading) some sort of "extra margin" is the only practical answer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Just wondering. Do you also recommend driving at 75% of the speed limit at all times, eating no more than 75% of the recommended daily allowance of certain foods, and reducing passenger count so as to only use three of the four seatbelts in a four passenger vehicle?
To be an effective communicator, one stays on the subject. I am not talking about anything else but the max tow weight.

I can tow with 4 passenger and with good load if I tow my 16' Bambi with the Explorer with the factory installed tow package since that my Explorer can tow up to 5,000 lbs and that the Bambi is 3500 lbs at max.

don't forget the tongue weight. I can safely tow with 500 lbs tongue weight.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I always tend to want a cushion on things as well but I am curious as to
what your bad experience was? Are you still towing with the explorer?
I am happy to share you what my bad experience was... in hopes to educate others not to be as stupid as I was.

I towed my 3500 lbs Coleman Key West with my old 99' Ford Explorer which had V6 4.0 engine. You would think its so strong but I did not think to look up if it was safe for this Explorer to tow the popup. I added transmission cooler and Curt hitch. Also Treben air bags. I towed from Alabama to California fully loaded and my poor Explorer suffered. Went up hill and mountains, the speed dropped between 35 to 45 MPH. That was stupid. My transmission suffered greatly and I ignored it (the transmission fluid was fresh). After 5 days of long trip my Explorer was never the same. The Explorer expired a year after that. I then searched in CarGurus for an Explorer with tow package and found it. Luckily the dealership was only a few miles from my home. Bought it and it towed my new to me 2002 Coleman Niagara (3500 lbs) beautifully and I could go at speed limit up the mountains without any issues.

Yes my current 2014 Explorer with factory tow package can safely tow 16' Bambi. I did check the 19' Bambi but its GVWR at 4600 lbs was too close to my comfort so its out. I settled for 16' Bambi as my starter AS. The next TV will be Expedition which can tow any thing under 25' (I haven't checked yet).

I want to keep my Explorer as my daily commute vehicle after I get the Expedition as my main TV. In order to do that, I tow under the max tow weight to keep Explorer healthy longer.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB