Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 04:28 AM   #201
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It's not really a hitch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Bob, I see this almost daily. People are buying a $100k A/S and a $60k TV, then balk at paying any more than $179 for a hitch to connect them.

But, that's probably a topic for another heated thread...
Terry,

I carry a Hensley Insurance Policy on 'Cloudsplitter', it has cost us $150 per year so far, and is going down every year.
Worth it? You bet.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #202
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chell View Post
Here’s my thoughts.
At the first corner you take the trailer will run over you.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:01 AM   #203
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Yep, move to a home with a bigger garage. No problem. Stay at home or only stay in hotels. No problem. Buy a lift to get your spouse in and out of your TV. No problem. Or, maybe just change spouses. No problem. Save up for a few more years so you can afford diesel and diesel maintenance. No problem. Spend a few more thousand on a hitch that will perform better if you are speeding down a 10% grade in a snow storm and a heard of elk run out in front of you. No problem.
Or,,, drive a half ton that’s lower riding, more economical, more comfortable, and completely capable, with a proven well performing hitch. Big problem..
Yep, makes total sense to me. I’ve just got to rethink everything.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Why does everyone’s tow rig have to be a daily driver? It’s better to have the right tool for the job than to compromise.
Because, contrary to the popular belief about Airstreamers, we don't all have 2 million dollar 401K's.
Not only does a second vehicle cost more to own, it also costs a lot to insure. It ads to the carbon footprint, it needs maintenance, a place to park it, and for a family of one, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
"I wouldn't have nuthin' less than a Peterbuilt for my family."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16f7c099b6c59871d917cf219295b036.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	365557   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	365558  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #206
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Yep, move to a home with a bigger garage. No problem. Stay at home or only stay in hotels. No problem. Buy a lift to get your spouse in and out of your TV. No problem. Or, maybe just change spouses. No problem. Save up for a few more years so you can afford diesel and diesel maintenance. No problem. Spend a few more thousand on a hitch that will perform better if you are speeding down a 10% grade in a snow storm and a heard of elk run out in front of you. No problem.
Or,,, drive a half ton that’s lower riding, more economical, more comfortable, and completely capable, with a proven well performing hitch. Big problem..
Yep, makes total sense to me. I’ve just got to rethink everything.
-----------------------

Yep...That's Me, more $$$$ than I know how to spend.

Go'nAway in what I feel is appropriate, just like everyone else. TETO

I've been saying it here for years....
“If you’re happy with what you’re using…it’s adequate.
If other people are unhappy….It’s not”
Live with it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #207
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
When it comes to towing, safety and stability should be priority #1. Not things like, does it fit in a garage, poor fuel mileage, it rides too rough. These things begin to compromise what’s important so maybe you should reevaluate what your doing and maybe stay in hotels instead.

Everything is a compromise. The way you state it, pulling anything larger than a pop-up must be towed by a HD Freightliner. Get rid of ALL Airstream trailers, bumper pulls are inherently unstable. Only 5th wheels trailers are allowed allowed to get needed stability. If you must have an Airstream, buy a coach. Get real.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Because, contrary to the popular belief about Airstreamers, we don't all have 2 million dollar 401K's.
Not only does a second vehicle cost more to own, it also costs a lot to insure. It ads to the carbon footprint, it needs maintenance, a place to park it, and for a family of one, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Mine sits in the garage, emitting zero carbon. While driving it, my SUV is parked, offsetting the carbon from my tow vehicle since only one vehicle is emitting carbon at a time. Insurance on a 7 year old diesel truck is quite affordable, and in the off season it can be uninsured. A 401k is not required to own any of the above, and buying used allows me to avoid ridiculous full coverage insurance if I don’t want it. For the $60k people pay for a nice truck I have a super low mileage diesel Ram, a Chevy SUV, a nice Harley, and about $6k left over.

I’d rather have a properly sized tow vehicle and not worry about having enough truck, than grip the wheel of my old Grand Cherokee and not have any fun. And with all the sue-happy people out there, my diesel truck actually protects my 401k by making towing a bit less risky.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #209
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
How the Hell did this thread git to a discussion of carbon emissions and all this other crap when the OP's question is:

"So I guess a 1/2-ton truck is enough"

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #210
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Maybe because the title is just an inane question?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #211
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Idiotic Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
As a (retired) State Trooper, freezing rain scares me as bad as wildfire (and I’ve dealt with both more than once). I have bad memories from one night on I-90 involving one fatal crash, a DUI rollover in the median, a jack-knifed semi with Haz-Mat Incident, and several other one car crashes, all unrelated to one another but within minutes of each other. We had three separate fatal crashes involving freezing rain that night.

Now that I’m retired, I don’t drive in freezing rain and I wouldn’t dream of towing any trailer in it under any circumstances.
I completely agree. Anyone driving anything at 65 mph on an icy flat road is nuts. Doing so down a curvy 12% road is a person looking for a Darwin Award. And 12%? Where do you even find one like that. Loveland Pass is 6.7% and it’s bad enough. Berthoud is 6.3% and Monarch is 7%. All three are challenging with a trailer in the summer with dry roads. I’ve driven them in the winter too many times and we didn’t enjoy it. Happily I’ve never done it in the winter with a trailer. Nor would I.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #212
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

You base your AS purchase on what you already own to tow it?
Bassakwards...

Bob
🇺🇸
This definitely sounds like a to each their own comment..

Old 04-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #213
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Ignore my previous post. I’ve found a solution. I’ve put an ad in the personal section of whatever amounts for the classifieds these days. I’m looking for an attractive female former high jumper (I won’t even have to open the door, she will fly in through the window). She’s got to be very wealthy, like riding in buckboard wagons, and racing down mountain passes at breakneck speed (completely under control though) Only “with” the cruise control on. She has to own an estate with 10’ garage openings, and enjoys the smell of diesel fuel, and exhaust! I hope to meet her as soon as it’s safe to travel.
I’ve told my lovely wife she’s out. She can’t compete due to her titanium hip. She can keep the house with the low garage door openings.
I have justifiable cause, as I refuse to only stay in hotels while traveling!! I’m keeping the AS, I bought foolishly thinking it could be pulled by my Tundra. I intend to buy an F750 MegaCab Z-71 High Sierra Power Turbo with 2,000 pounds of torque and will be pushing 1,000 HP once I get it tuned and chipped.
Why o why do I open tow vehicle threads?

Just kidding! Happy Easter Everyone! Indeed, to each their own.

Jeff

Old 04-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Ignore my previous post. I’ve found a solution. I’ve put an ad in the personal section of whatever amounts for the classifieds these days. I’m looking for an attractive female former high jumper (I won’t even have to open the door, she will fly in through the window). She’s got to be very wealthy, like riding in buckboard wagons, and racing down mountain passes at breakneck speed (completely under control though) Only “with” the cruise control on. She has to own an estate with 10’ garage openings, and enjoys the smell of diesel fuel, and exhaust! I hope to meet her as soon as it’s safe to travel.
I’ve told my lovely wife she’s out. She can’t compete due to her titanium hip. She can keep the house with the low garage door openings.
I have justifiable cause, as I refuse to only stay in hotels while traveling!! I’m keeping the AS, I bought foolishly thinking it could be pulled by my Tundra. I intend to buy an F750 MegaCab Z-71 High Sierra Power Turbo with 2,000 pounds of torque and will be pushing 1,000 HP once I get it tuned and chipped.

Jeff
Lol

F750 [emoji2957]
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #215
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:

Jeff
Because you cannot, with a straight face, take them all that serious.
It's a Guy thing..."It's mine and it's the best."

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
Doing so down a curvy 12% road is a person looking for a Darwin Award. And 12%? Where do you even find one like that..?
I don't know where you can find a curvy 12% road, but I know where a long curvy 24% grade road is. East side of Ebbetts pass in the Sierra Nevada's, California Highway 4.

It's one of the five legs of the infamous Death Ride. But a F250 with its bigger brakes and powerful engine should be able to handle it nicely.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1692.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	365622  
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
How the Hell did this thread git to a discussion of carbon emissions and all this other crap when the OP's question is:

"So I guess a 1/2-ton truck is enough"
Dunno. Was just answering another post. Could give a rip about carbon personally or I’d drive a Prius.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I don't know where you can find a curvy 12% road, but I know where a long curvy 24% grade road is. East side of Ebbetts pass in the Sierra Nevada's, California Highway 4.

It's one of the five legs of the infamous Death Ride. But a F250 with its bigger brakes and powerful engine should be able to handle it nicely.

Yikes. But it says vehicles over 25’ not advised. I will take the advise and avoid.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:16 AM   #219
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
When it comes to towing, safety and stability should be priority #1. Not things like, does it fit in a garage, poor fuel mileage, it rides too rough. These things begin to compromise what’s important so maybe you should reevaluate what your doing and maybe stay in hotels instead.
“Begin” is the key word in the statement, it’s quite amusing how you guys twist it around to the logical extreme.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:56 AM   #220
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
“Begin” is the key word in the statement, it’s quite amusing how you guys twist it around to the logical extreme.
Idle Hands Are The Devil’s Workshop.