Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
it's only money. buy what you like.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
OK... give me his current address. I would like to speak with him.
Oak Hill Cemetery in Lincoln, NB
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post
Oak Hill Cemetery in Lincoln, NB
Obviously the 'tow vehicle's brakes' were not adequate.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Easton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Why would I care if someone wanted to tow their 28 foot Airstream with a bicycle. I do not care.

When we pass any brand of trailer being towed, we look at how it is set up and tracking. We also look to see what kind of hitch is being used, and tow vehicle. If it looks like an accident waiting to happen, just get us away from a future accident in waiting. It will sooner than later if the experience is low and the safety risk is high.

There are idiots out there with light and heavy tow vehicles. We just keep our distance and increase our speed to pass, or decrease our speed and move to the right a bit more... so they can pass.

Same with tires. I do not care what kind of tires YOU use. People ASK for advice and then get their shorts in a bind when people call them out.

I do not care... and like to post because if I had something better to do, I would.

Advertising has the small print. Find it, first. Then proceed. Otherwise... I do......not...... care what you get. Myself... F350 Diesel 4x4 will blow you off the road, on the highway and stopping.

My 27 foot Airstream is longer than your 28 foot... read the fine print. If not the case any more... you do need a 3/4 ton.

Have fun... cause I know you do not care either. But is was fun.
"Ditto"
gordyfj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #45
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
IMHO it is best to do the research to marry your TV with the AS. For those of us who use the TV for daily driving, that also needs consideration. Following is my write-up on the journey we took to determine if our tow vehicle was right for our Airstream. ��

https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...-your-trailer/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
A Class 8 day cab twin screw tractor weighs right around 16,000 LBS. It pulls up to a 53' trailer weighing up to 74,000 LBS including cargo. Your logic of the truck having to weigh more than the trailer is just not correct.

One more point. If folks want to stay with a 1/2 ton instead of a 3/4 ton pickup Ford offers a HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) that in conjunction with the Max Tow Pkg greatly increases the payload rating of a half ton. It is available on the XL and XLT trim levels and requires certain cab and bed lengths. FWIW.
Yes but,
Approximately 24,000 lbs of the trailer weight will be sitting on the tractors rear tandems.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
This One Time.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The trailer only has brakes if they are functioning. A little dirt or corrosion in the plug, a bump in the road to jostle the connector, and suddenly a kid on a tricycle rolls out in front of you. I don't care it your trailer has the best brakes in the world, if they aren't working, it's just like only having the tow vehicle brakes. I'm thinking of the newer F150 with the inverted trailer connector plug, where the plug loses connection if you run over a pebble in the road. By coincidence, one of the trucks espoused in this thread as being a great towing vehicle.

It has happened.
I have witnessed it.
It has happened to others on this forum.
Safer just to stay home then. Why would anyone put themselves in danger
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Official test:

Conclusion: You don't _need_ to spend 10k more on that 3/4 ton truck if you're towing 9k pounds or less.

That should cover most AS owners
You should check the threads of those real life experiences of your fellow Airstreamers, and why they made the switch. You may change your opinion.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
<snip>

People traveling between Midland and Odessa, Texas... and think your tow vehicle and trailer are a prefect match... AVOID these, unless you want to be in the local newspaper...
<snip>
Hey, that's exactly where I'm headed next! So my TV/AS combo is GTG
(But... uh not during this pandemic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Here we go again...I suggest if you "have not" compared towing your 27' or larger AS with a 1/2T (no mater which engine/model 1/2T) and a 3/4T or 1T (diesel or gas), on the highway, especially in the mountains, you do so before spouting off on how capable your 1/2T is! I loved my 1/2T Echoboost 4x4 with my 25'. But, with my larger 28' FC, the 3/4T F250 KR 6.7L is "way" more capable in control, braking, (especially with the engine brake), power, and "payload" then the 1/2T.

If you haven't done a comparison yourself, no need to argue; you just won't know the difference! Sure, the diesel costs more to operate...but it sure is a tranquil feeling cruising up/down/around at 60-65 in the Rockies with cruise control on, in tow/haul mode, engine brake on "auto", with your TV maintaining distance from traffic in front of you...and when you do need to brake, having the stability of a larger TV is very nice also! IMHO...

Some day I'll get a 250-class TV! (Likely a Ford gasser ) But gotta get the kids through college first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
For serious Aistreamers, debating towing vehicles during a pandemic is like eating good comfort food, brings our minds back to the important stuff... ;-)
Right?
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Towing and Rock Climbing: Good Comparison?

When we are out in the Field (Geology Boondocking OTG #101)... I am always looking for interesting rocks and outcrops. Getting UP to them is easy. Getting DOWN is more difficult, unless you are in a hurry and just jump.

If you do not climb around along steep outcrops, you will have to trust me. At times I need to rock pick soft rock to insert the toes for my BIG FEET.

No climber, I know, has died going UP. Yosemite comes to mind. No outcrops there I wish to see, either. Hard Rock, Granite, is just as hard as Soft Rock (Shale), IF going Down, quickly.

It is easy to tow a 16 foot Bambi to 34 triple axle UP, as well. Easy is relative with this comparison, but lets assume some climbers weigh 180 pounds and some, 300 pounds. That is the Bambi and triple axle example... comparison.

I knew I could put it in a way everyone could grasp at the loose end of a rope, or a rock ledge on the way, missed by several inches... Down. The Rope and Rock Ledge are You. The tow vehicle, and the Trailer combined are you with a pack full of rocks. (You are getting the idea, by now. If not, I understand.)

Trailers are the same. Going UP is a tremendous strain on the engine and transmission, and it is. Breaking Down going UP is a bit more problematic than Breaking Down going Down. Without power steering and diminished brakes... also is like the Free Solo of Yosemite, which also becomes problematic if you are clumsy.

Getting down, by the way, is faster. But you will recall the going down for more years.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
You should check the threads of those real life experiences of your fellow Airstreamers, and why they made the switch. You may change your opinion.

The "real life experience" of others is often based on vehicles that were made years ago. This is a review of two 2019 trucks. Lots has changed between the trucks of even 5 years ago and now.

I do enjoy the number of folks say you need a bigger truck to stop the trailer. For way under the cost of the bigger truck, you can put electric/hydraulic brakes on the trailer. Then your trailer will help stop your truck.

For me, I spent less on the combination of my Propride hitch and disc trailer brakes than I would have on a bigger truck. A truck that wouldn't fit in my garage and would be a lot harder driving around town, which is most of its miles.

My recommendation - engineer the solution that works for you.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
ďMy recommendation - engineer the solution that works for you.Ē óSailorSam

Truer words were never spoken.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
For serious Aistreamers, debating towing vehicles during a pandemic is like eating good comfort food, brings our minds back to the important stuff... ;-)
Lol....
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I Love the Comparison!

Quote:
When we are out in the Field (Geology Boondocking OTG #101)... I am always looking for interesting rocks and outcrops. Getting UP to them is easy. Getting DOWN is more difficult, unless you are in a hurry and just jump.

If you do not climb around along steep outcrops, you will have to trust me. At times I need to rock pick soft rock to insert the toes for my BIG FEET.

No climber, I know, has died going UP. Yosemite comes to mind. No outcrops there I wish to see, either. Hard Rock, Granite, is just as hard as Soft Rock (Shale), IF going Down, quickly.

It is easy to tow a 16 foot Bambi to 34 triple axle UP, as well. Easy is relative with this comparison, but lets assume some climbers weigh 180 pounds and some, 300 pounds. That is the Bambi and triple axle example... comparison.

I knew I could put it in a way everyone could grasp at the loose end of a rope, or a rock ledge on the way, missed by several inches... Down. The Rope and Rock Ledge are You. The tow vehicle, and the Trailer combined are you with a pack full of rocks. (You are getting the idea, by now. If not, I understand.)

Trailers are the same. Going UP is a tremendous strain on the engine and transmission, and it is. Breaking Down going UP is a bit more problematic than Breaking Down going Down. Without power steering and diminished brakes... also is like the Free Solo of Yosemite, which also becomes problematic if you are clumsy.

Getting down, by the way, is faster. But you will recall the going down for more years.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Engineers working in Harmony- 1947 Flying Cloud / Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
ďMy recommendation - engineer the solution that works for you.Ē óSailorSam

Truer words were never spoken.
Engineering and engineers... working together in harmony:

Ah yes. Howard Hughes, also had a large 40 foot Airstream trailer in mind, no doubt, when Hughes Aircraft engineered the Spruce Goose. A Flying Boat.

I looked it up and it flew just enough on November 2, 1947. It was designed to fly cargo to Europe.

The Spruce Goose was on exhibit at Long Beach and was very interesting. They even had what appeared to be Howard Hughes looking out of the window. I believe it left town with the Queen Mary some years ago.

Walked around the Queen Mary, as well for free. It did not appear to be haunted like they report.

Wikipedia: "...strategic airlift flying boat that sounded like a giant fart designed and built by the Hughes Aircraft Company".
Old 04-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #56
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I was always impressed with the Spruce Goose. It was a fabulous aircraft constructed of wood because the gov't needed the aluminum for war production. The Brits even had to use wood for some of their war birds because they were short also of AL.
Al, you are right about using all the help you can get when towing: Propride, Hensley. TT disc brakes, and premium tires. I once swerved at 65 MPH to avoid a tractor trailer tire/wheel coming across the interstate at me. I had all the above and it saved my bacon. When I pulled off at the next rest stop the only damage noticed was tire marks down the bottom of the slide out. At the same time, I saw a car starting to pass me on the left, I never did find out how he made out with the tire/wheel.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
Not to highjack a thread, but the subject seems have gone to 1/2 ton trucks and often a 25í or larger Airstream, safety, and braking on mountain passes so here goes: I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff, Highway 89 between Fountain Hills and Payson, highway 260 east of Payson all have 6%+ grades, some on which go on for miles. Lots of curves too. We traveled these many times last year in 2019 Ram 1500 and 25í 2006 Safari. Never had an issue going up or down these hills. Plenty of power going up, plenty of control going down. Iíve found that the 8 speed transmission is well programmed: touch the brakes and it drops a gear. Tough them again, and it drops another. I can hold any gear I want. Granted the engine is turning 3500-4000 rpm, but so what? Iím not riding the brakes, not going too fast, no white knuckles. Itís comfortable. The engine drone gets a bit old, but itís only for a few miles. I rarely need to touch the brakes. It does the job and is a great daily driver.

I was planning a trip this summer through the Rockies. I donít know now if/when that will happen anymore, and itís been 35 years since Iíve driven any of those mountain passes. Based on our Northern AZ experience, I expected pretty much the same performance, as the Monarch and 550 passes appear to be 6 or 7% grades. There will be a significant altitude change between 5000-7000 ft in Az and the 11,000+ in the Rockys, and the Hemi, being normally aspirated, will likely struggle a bit with the thinner air. Someone noted trucks have changed a lot in recent years. I believe thatís true. Are my expectations optimistic?

Thanks
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKSmith View Post
Not to highjack a thread, but the subject seems have gone to 1/2 ton trucks and often a 25í or larger Airstream, safety, and braking on mountain passes so here goes: I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff, Highway 89 between Fountain Hills and Payson, highway 260 east of Payson all have 6%+ grades, some on which go on for miles. Lots of curves too. We traveled these many times last year in 2019 Ram 1500 and 25í 2006 Safari. Never had an issue going up or down these hills. Plenty of power going up, plenty of control going down. Iíve found that the 8 speed transmission is well programmed: touch the brakes and it drops a gear. Tough them again, and it drops another. I can hold any gear I want. Granted the engine is turning 3500-4000 rpm, but so what? Iím not riding the brakes, not going too fast, no white knuckles. Itís comfortable. The engine drone gets a bit old, but itís only for a few miles. I rarely need to touch the brakes. It does the job and is a great daily driver.

I was planning a trip this summer through the Rockies. I donít know now if/when that will happen anymore, and itís been 35 years since Iíve driven any of those mountain passes. Based on our Northern AZ experience, I expected pretty much the same performance, as the Monarch and 550 passes appear to be 6 or 7% grades. There will be a significant altitude change between 5000-7000 ft in Az and the 11,000+ in the Rockys, and the Hemi, being normally aspirated, will likely struggle a bit with the thinner air. Someone noted trucks have changed a lot in recent years. I believe thatís true. Are my expectations optimistic?

Thanks
Steve
TFL truck has tested your truck on the Eisenhower pass, and it does just great. You should check out their YouTube videos. You have a solid truck that gets very high marks. The Hemi is an excellent engine. The 8 speed transmission gets high marks.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:51 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Yes, you can tow a 9000 lb trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, but you can't safely travel at highway speeds. For that you will need a larger truck. One rule of thumb is that the truck should weigh more than the trailer.
Wrong. Just Wrong. It's as simple as this: with a 1/2 ton you may need to beef up suspension, but a properly configured 1/2 ton can easily pull 9000lbs. Which trailer is 9000?

On the other hand, and more capable truck can do it with spare payload. Don't be fooled that a 3/4 ton will solve all your 1/2 ton problems. Many F-250 owners are struggling with sway. We don't struggle. Our 1/2 half ton F-150 deisel rated for 10400lbs tow pulls our 28' FC no problem, but we had to add Roadmaster suspension to stop porpoising. Springs a little soft with 1000lb tongue.
KevinFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:46 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Trailer design and loading is what determines how well any combination will tow. The TV can only resist the forces acting upon it, so the higher mass 3/4 ton can resist higher forces. Moving from 1/2 to 3/4 ton has solved many handling issues but fixing what’s wrong with the trailer is a better course of action.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote