Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDreamSF View Post
If I was "driveway surfing" I could hook up to my host's sewer clean-out.

Thatís assuming they have a clean out, that you can get to it, that it will open, that you have enough hose to reach it, that theyíre cool with it, that your adapter will interface with it, etc.

Not trying to shoot you full of holes; I admire what youíre trying to do. Iíve simply owned too many homes that didnít have a clean out, or it was nearly impossible to get to with a trailer dump hose.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
If I was "driveway surfing" I could hook up to my host's sewer clean-out.
We are not even able to drain gray water at our house.
Don't have a floor drain that is accessible. Closest toilet would be 60 feet from the street to do black water (which is all water coming out of a shared tank like the 16)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We are not even able to drain gray water at our house.
Don't have a floor drain that is accessible. Closest toilet would be 60 feet from the street to do black water (which is all water coming out of a shared tank like the 16)
Putting in a sewer clean out is pretty easy unless it all concrete.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
My trailer brakes alone will stop my Airstream and the tow vehicle. Heaven help you (and the rest of us) if you rely so much on your tow vehicle to stop your rig.

Canít let this go without comment I guess.

If for whatever reason the trailer brakes fail, the TV needs to be able to stop itself and the trailer. AS brakes can fail due to a battery failure but more likely due to a connection failure with the hitch connector. The connectors fail due to corrosion from poorly maintained equipment, road debris or a simple oversight of failing to check the seating of the plug.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
N/A , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieKiYa View Post
Thatís assuming they have a clean out, that you can get to it, that it will open, that you have enough hose to reach it, that theyíre cool with it, that your adapter will interface with it, etc.

Not trying to shoot you full of holes; I admire what youíre trying to do. Iíve simply owned too many homes that didnít have a clean out, or it was nearly impossible to get to with a trailer dump hose.
It's fine, I appreciate you making me think of solutions.

The obvious answer is that when choosing a host I would only choose someone who has hookups available and is okay with me hooking up. I would offer to pay "rent" (below market rate for an apartment or room) and then also pay half of any utilities I use (electricity, water, internet, cable, trash pickup, etc)
ASDreamSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The brain storming and idea sharing is a great eye opener. It's fun to see people think out of the box about how and where they will live.

It's very on trend to be innovative about dwelling in less stereotypical spaces. Unfortunately ordinances are usually less Innovative, more archaic and very slow to catch up unless you're in a trending urban area.

City codes, liability, neighbors and logistics sometimes make it impossible to bring these cool ideas to fruition.

Usually, when you pay rent or chip in financially you are establishing a landlord tenant relationship which then can lead to some level of standing on the said property.

Please keep us posted on how it turns out because that makes this thread valuable for the next person that's exploring some of these ideas.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
N/A , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
The brain storming and idea sharing is a great eye opener. It's fun to see people think out of the box about how and where they will live.

It's very on trend to be innovative about dwelling in less stereotypical spaces. Unfortunately ordinances are usually less Innovative, more archaic and very slow to catch up unless you're in a trending urban area.

City codes, liability, neighbors and logistics sometimes make it impossible to bring these cool ideas to fruition.

Usually, when you pay rent or chip in financially you are establishing a landlord tenant relationship which then can lead to some level of standing on the said property.

Please keep us posted on how it turns out because that makes this thread valuable for the next person that's exploring some of these ideas.
Lack of affordable housing (and housing in general) has been an issue in the Bay Area for a while now and while city ordinances and building codes have tried to prevent people from finding creative solutions, life finds a way! YouTube is filled with videos of people building tiny houses in their backyards to rent out as a secondary source of income, or people parking tiny houses in a friend or relative's backyard to live in. Service workers (like myself) who are not protected by rent control end up living in RVs parked on public streets. The wealthy/lucky homeowners complain about their property values, but despite all the money they throw at city officials, they can't prevent people from wanting to live in the Bay Area and finding any way possible to make that happen. Plus, many of those wealthy/lucky homeowners are finding that their hard stance against density means their own children and grandchildren cannot afford to live nearby, which makes it a personal problem for them and not just someone else's problem.

Some videos on the subject that I really liked:

https://youtu.be/VMAAWABynns
https://youtu.be/dgn81TNgynQ
https://youtu.be/_HnTQNkoRw4
https://youtu.be/7sLQ-2rCdmw
https://youtu.be/HWIJc144mgQ
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
N/A , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

My posts keep getting deleted, but I wanted to say that if you like creative innovations in housing, Kristen Dirksen's YouTube channel is full of videos about ways real people have hacked housing. That channel was what inspired me to start researching alternative housing.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you for reminding me of her. I need to watch more of her videos. I have only watched some of her videos but one of the ones that I liked is their stay in the trailer park I believe in Oregon called the vintages. I think that would be a fun place to stay in our vintage Airstreams. When they pull into the park at night all the trees are lit up with little sparkly lights and the reflections on the various vintage trailers are so pretty.

I think in my next life I'm going to come back as a carefree, easy going, unconventional soul who tries out different things things rather than stick with the norms. In this life I'll keep living my in my house and traveling in my trailer.

I know life is short you only live once.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
.... I would offer to pay "rent" (below market rate for an apartment or room) and then also pay half of any utilities I use (electricity, water, internet, cable, trash pickup, etc)
You seem to want to live a simple, inexpensive life. Factor in the cost of depreciation of the vehicle and trailer.

How do you find people who will let you camp in their driveway or yard for extended periods with half price utilities? Especially in highly desirable locations?

I'd like to do the same.

Durajohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
N/A , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
Factor in the cost of depreciation of the vehicle and trailer.
If I never plan to sell either, does it really matter how much it depreciates? I know a lot of people treat property as an investment, but for me this would be for my personal use, not so I can sell it later and live off the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
How do you find people who will let you camp in their driveway or yard for extended periods with half price utilities? Especially in highly desirable locations?
Put an ad on Craigslist and/or post flyers in local coffee shops. Starbucks usually has a public bulletin board where people can post things.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
North Augusta , South Carolina
Smallest Possible Tow Vehicle For A 16' Sport Bambi

I have seen pictures of a Frenchman towing one with a bicycle...
Barry Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
If I never plan to sell either, does it really matter how much it depreciates? I know a lot of people treat property as an investment, but for me this would be for my personal use, not so I can sell it later and live off the money.

Put an ad on Craigslist and/or post flyers in local coffee shops. Starbucks usually has a public bulletin board where people can post things.
The second biggest purchase most people make is a vehicle and the biggest is a place to live. And you will sell at some point in time. So, most of us consider these as investments. And I purchased an AS for it's value and potential resale value.

And I've owned 4 vehicles in 30 years.

Djohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2022 25' Globetrotter
Bellevue and San Antonio , Nebraska and Texas
We outfitted our 2013 Toyota Highlander for towing

It took a few $$, but the six cylinder for that year came with the towing package sans hitch as standard (including the extra transmission cooler). We purchased the vehicle certified used (previous owners had already installed an aftermarket hitch) and our salesman threw in the 7 pin as part of the deal. We have a really good aftermarket hitch company here in the Omaha area so that part was very reasonable. The brake controller was only an additional 90 bucks. Converting an existing four pin, or just adding a 7 pin is pretty easy with the Highlander. We probably could have done it ourselves, but the local hitch company (Council Hitch for those who care) did it for around 100 to 150 bucks.

We brought our Sport 22 FB home from Minneapolis with very little trouble and reasonably good MPG, but found that on short trips from Omaha out I80 to Lincoln, we really felt the wind. We could get our speed up to 70 MPH, but it wasnít very comfortable. We shouldnít be towing over 65 anyway!

So, if the Escape turns out to be a little too weak for your few moves, keep an eye out for a used Highlander. The hybrids are limited to 3500 pounds, so I would opt for the six cylinder. Our 2013 SE has a back up camera (but no grids), so we can get it into urban parking spots fairly easily.

I will offer a disclaimer. It was never our intention to use our Highlander to tow in the mountains, so we have also recently acquired a more robust Chevy Colorado for that purpose. Others have used Highlanders to tow 16 foot Bambis all over the place, but our 22 footer maxes out at 500 pounds less than the 5000 pound maximum for the 2013 six cylinder (the four runner maxes out at 4500 pounds). The Colorado gives us a longer wheel base, 7000 pounds towing, and some integrated fancy sway control stuff with the integrated tow package and brake controller. We are still going to use our Equalizer hitch with it though. It just seems prudent. Itís a lot cheaper to buy a truck than an equivalent sized SUV and they just seem to keep more trucks with tow packages in stock than SUVs ó makes it easier to buy with dealer incentives when their stock hangs around on the lot too long.

For your purposes though, it seems ideal to use a small or mid-size SUV because you can also utilize your closed and lockable vehicle for some extra storage space. I will miss that with our Highlander which we will probably have to sell because we are kind of packed in with vehicles around here.

Good luck with your choice and have fun!
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Currently Looking...
Holland , Michigan

Escape with 2.0 L 240 hp/270 ft lb. Have Class III Draw Tite with Husky St WD system.

Hugs the road with big trucks on both sides.
Flyboy328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
You need to rethink this. You will need a tow vehicle with at least 5000 lbs tow capacity and power, water and sewer hook-up.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #57

2018 16' Sport
High Desert , California
Quote:
I'm considering purchasing a 16' Sport Bambi for full time living. Ideally it will spend most of its time parked in a RV park or in someone's backyard. My goal is to live as inexpensively as I can in an extremely desirable urban area so that I can enjoy what the location has to offer even if I can't afford the price tag.

Because I will be in an urban location, and my tow vehicle will also be my daily driver, I need a smaller vehicle that will be easy to maneuver and park in tight spaces.

I looked at the Sport as well as the Nest and Basecamp, as they are all Airstream's smaller, lightweight trailers, and the Sport's layout appealed to me the most. It really does an amazing job of maximizing space. However, it is definitely not the lightest of the three models, which leaves me with the conundrum of how I am going to tow it?

The largest vehicle type I would be happy with would be a crossover/small SUV. The Ford Escape has a tow rating of 3,500 lbs, which seems pretty good, and is relatively small. I'd love to be able to tow with an even smaller vehicle, like a Honda Element or a Jeep Renegade, but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

If anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences, I'd love to hear them!
I am actually, like you (almost) full-timing with a 2018 Sport 16 Bambi. Even if the AS has a 3500 lbs GVWR, I felt that in order for me to feel completely safe, I should use a TV that's more than capable of towing it. So I got a Ford F-150 5.0L V8. I know it's overkill but after traveling from California to Oregon via I-5, I'm glad I got the Max Payload and Tow Packages as well as the Trailer Braking Control options.

The passage up and down the Mt. Shasta pass was a little nerve-wracking for a first timer like me. However, knowing that my TV is more than well-equipped to handle far more weight than what it's towing behind it, made the trip less intimidating and actually, fun!

I could hardly notice the weight of the AS, until I looked at my side-view mirrors and see the gleaming aluminum tube I'm hauling down the freeway, and then a slight lump forms in my throat. But we made it through without a hitch (pun intended).

I also like this setup because having a short trailer makes backing up much simpler. I don't need a pull-through site to fit.

Space however is at a premium with this AS. But given my other option was, like you, to purchase a class B RV (I was this close to buying an LTV Serenity), I knew ahead of time that I was willing to live in a small space.
Desertpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy328 View Post

Escape with 2.0 L 240 hp/270 ft lb. Have Class III Draw Tite with Husky St WD system.

Hugs the road with big trucks on both sides.
I saw the photo of your rig. It may be just the angle from which it was taken, but it appears that your nose is pointing up quite a bit. If your the safety conscious type, I recommend you visit the truck scale. If your not ready to switch your TV, probably best not to.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
OP is a few years old and he/she hasn't returned since then. Reading through the thread looks like ASdreamSF was just AS daydreaming.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Currently Looking...
Holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I saw the photo of your rig. It may be just the angle from which it was taken, but it appears that your nose is pointing up quite a bit. If your the safety conscious type, I recommend you visit the truck scale. If your not ready to switch your TV, probably best not to.
Added a second battery and now itís slightly nose down.
Flyboy328 is offline   Reply With Quote