Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
Side Mirrors for 4Runner

Hi,

I have a 1998 4-Runner to tow my 1966 Caravel. I'm seeking side mirror extenders which will help me see the blind spot when towing. All I can find are extender mirrors for Fords, GM etc. Nothing for Toyotas.

Any suggestions
Thanks
K
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You could always get a set of hood mount or door mount mirrors. I have a set of these (first link) and use them occasionally on a late 90's explorer to tow the minuet. They work well - even if they are sort of ugly...

Trailer Towing Mirror - Fender Mount

Cipa TEMPORARY DOOR MOUNT TOWING MIRRORS : JC Whitney: Truck Accessories & Parts

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
The problem of finding mirror extensions for Toyotas has been discussed a lot here. It's a problem for many of us. Here's a recent thread that gives some suggestions.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...toyota+mirrors

Good luck in finding something that works!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

2007 25' International CCD
Pleasanton , California
There are generic mirrors that you can attach to your 4Runner. We bought a set for our 2001 Tundra when we took delivery of our Safari. They have three suction cups and two straps that hold them onto the original mirrors. With a little practice you can get them to fit snugly. Price was about $45 and we bought them from Manteca Trailer Sales in Manteca, CA.

We brought them to the rally in 29 Palms to give away, since we now use a Ford F-250 to haul our trailer. Unfortunately, one of the mirrors was cracked (probably my fault) so we threw them out. (:-<

PS Let me add this postscript: I just looked at the Hensley mirror link and it may be what you need because it is far enough out from the truck body to allow you a good view to the rear. The generic add-ons we used for the Tundra extended the Toyota mirrors by only 3 to 4 inches inches. The Hensleys are much farther out, and they look quite sturdy too.

I don't know what the legal requirements are for trailer mirrors, but in a practical sense I think the mirrors should allow you to see parallel to both sides of your trailer. That is, you should be able to sight along the length of both sides from the driver's position. If you really want to see "behind" your rig, I think that's a tall order. Our Safari is only 23' and has an 8-foot-wide body; if you have an 8.5-foot-wide trailer, your mirrors will have to be another 3" out from the truck body to have the same side view. With our F-250 mirrors fully extended, we can just see the entire length of both sides of our Safari.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have the same problem with my Tundra. I bought a pair of these at Camping World when they were on sale for $5 each.

They are not perfect, but the are easy to install and remove. They do vibrate some, but not enough to prevent you from seeing trafic in the blind spot.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I have the same problem with my Tundra. I bought a pair of these at Camping World when they were on sale for $5 each.
These are the same thing we're using. Got 'em at the same place for the same price. Right now they're working fine for us.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
We have the McKesh mirrors fro our Tundra. They are easy to take on and off and store. They seem to be highly recommended on the forums.

McKesh Mirrors

Brad
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote