Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
D.C. , Washington, D.C.
Show me your vintage trucks.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody here has towed a double axle with trucks from the 40's through the 60's. If there's a link to another thread that would be great.
nafets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Don't limit your search to just trucks from that era as cars were the primary tow vehicle of choice for many years.

Here is a thread on vintage tow vehicles.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-47507.html

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
D.C. , Washington, D.C.
thanks kev, I'm still looking for a truck for a daily driver but want to make sure that it has the added benefit of towing.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
You might try looking at some of the websites for the vintage trailer rallies & look at who is towing with the vintage trucks, then try contact them for their feedback; &/or go to some in your area to walk-&-talk to those with trucks.

Vintage Camper News is also online & print magazine with similar rigs. I'd include the vintage Panels & Suburbans etc. in that class you're looking for as well.

The big Pismo Beach CA vintage rally every May draws 300+ vintage rigs & usually 20-50 are vintage truck/suv/panel TVs (Pismo Coast Village is the host RV Park & the local Pismo RV Sales is a key sponsor with walk-around videos online of past ones).

I think you'll find that a well DD quality restored 50's-60's vintage truck will run at least $15-20,000++ & then you may need to put in another $10-20,000+ for a crate engine, new trans (esp. for a more modern 4spd/overdrive auto), power disc brakes at least front if not 4-wheels, properly geared rear end, PS, AC, etc. to set it up for safe & comfortable towing + DD use.

So be aware that you're really talking new truck/suv costs to "custom build" essentially a new truck - but with no warranty .... but then they're soooo bitchen when done right!
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
D.C. , Washington, D.C.
I know what you mean and at the end of the day I'd rather have the resto mod truck than the new thing with all the electronics. Tom T, the reason I'm going with truck is because I'm a real estate agent. It allows me to hang a real estate post outside the truck bed with my name and phone number on it. I've always loved the idea of free advertising that way.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafets View Post
I know what you mean and at the end of the day I'd rather have the resto mod truck than the new thing with all the electronics. Tom T, the reason I'm going with truck is because I'm a real estate agent. It allows me to hang a real estate post outside the truck bed with my name and phone number on it. I've always loved the idea of free advertising that way.
My Dad was in real estate too & used a magnetic sign on the doors of his classic car & our old family 1967 Chevy C20 3/4T pick-up (bought new, sold early 80's, rebought & restored late 1990's, & then resold in the mid 2000's shortly before his `08 passing). I'm in RE Dev & Consulting, so not such a need to advertize that way.

Today you could probably do a vinyl wrap sign on any vintage car/truck.

Okay, so if you want to also cart clients to justify the deduction of this vintage vehicle, then only a vintage SUV will give you the seats for that, since crew cabs were few & far between (& mostly govt. & military & working trucks at that).

So I'd say that a vintage car that is set up to tow could also work for you, just with a more refined "sign" (e.g.: with either vinyl/wrap or magnetic signs) - than one on a post in the truck bed's stake hole!

It's then also a biz deduction as the advertizing + able to cart clients around, but verify with your tax guy.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote