Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Should I do it?

Money aside, although I would be getting employee pricing with an additional $4500 off this month for a GM incentive, and a decent price on my trade... Is it worth updating my TV to gain these things?

- Moving from 2WD to 4WD
- Moving from 6 to 8-speed transmission
- Gaining trailering mirrors (no need to keep adding/removing the clip-ons)
- Gaining ~400lbs of payload capacity - we need to watch this now
- Moving to ~10 inches shorter wheelbase for better maneuverability

Edited to add: Other things come with the payload capacity upgrade. Includes 9.76" rear axle, trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR

Other options come with the truck that I probably wouldn't have chosen, but they are nice to haves. It would be the same engine, which meets our needs since we travel mostly east of the Mississippi, and it would do fine for the short amount of time we would be in the western mountains. So, would you consider those things worth making a change?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
.......yes. Unless yours is paid for and you'd have a hefty note on this one. Then, maybe not.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
-" Moving to 10 inches shorter wheelbase for better maneuverability"

Longer the wheelbase - the better the ride, especially on off freeway roads.

They didn't call the Bronco, Bronco for nothing - try driving it on one of the older concrete roads with expansion joints (still a lot around) - you'll need to slow way down or get a new set of teeth.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
-" Moving to 10 inches shorter wheelbase for better maneuverability"

Longer the wheelbase - the better the ride, especially on off freeway roads.

They didn't call the Bronco, Bronco for nothing - try driving it on one of the older concrete roads with expansion joints (still a lot around) - you'll need to slow way down or get a new set of teeth.
In this case it would be from a crew cab standard box to crew cab short box. Still a pretty long truck.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
While it's always easy to spend some else's money, if you can afford it, I say jump.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Purchaser's choice. If your TV is ready to be replaced then this seems to be a good opportunity and may be the time to make a change. With lower fuel prices the truck and SUV new/used markets are strong so I am sure you'll get strong resell/trade value on your current TV.

I am not a good sounding board for you though as I have two TV's with a combined odometer reading just shy of 598,000 miles. I simply can't justify the cost of a a new TV for us when the old one's still serve me well and I can put the money in the bank.

Just my 2¢.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Money aside, although I would be getting employee pricing with an additional $4500 off this month for a GM incentive, and a decent price on my trade... Is it worth updating my TV to gain these things?

- Moving from 2WD to 4WD

Edited to add: Other things come with the payload capacity upgrade. Includes 9.76" rear axle, trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR

Other options come with the truck that I probably wouldn't have chosen, but they are nice to haves. It would be the same engine, which meets our needs since we travel mostly east of the Mississippi, and it would do fine for the short amount of time we would be in the western mountains. So, would you consider those things worth making a change?
Doesn't say what you drive now, how old it is, how many miles on it, etc. Sounds like you're going to a 2500 if it has factory towing mirrors. I would go for it.

By the way, pretty much everybody gets "employee pricing" these days.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Not necessarily a 2500 upgrade. Sounds to me like going from 2013ish 1500 Z71 to new 1500 Z82 (max tow package) that would get all the bump ups mentioned. OP states same engine size, and I would guess 5.3L

The only justification to me is what you can afford, if that isn't an issue then I wouldn't hesitate, all of the positives you mention are worth it. I don't know how much more maneuverable it will be, all GMCs turn like the Titanic (got one)
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Not necessarily a 2500 upgrade. Sounds to me like going from 2013ish 1500 Z71 to new 1500 Z82 (max tow package) that would get all the bump ups mentioned. OP states same engine size, and I would guess 5.3L

The only justification to me is what you can afford, if that isn't an issue then I wouldn't hesitate, all of the positives you mention are worth it. I don't know how much more maneuverable it will be, all GMCs turn like the Titanic (got one)
2013? That's still brand new. Just got rid of my 2000 last year.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
We are newbies - rented a 28' international with a Tahoe Ltz with tow package - felt I cd not go over 55 without feeling trailer pushing us around.

Bought a 2016 Classic and a Ford F-350 turbo diesel - just took it out to run both thru their paces - was going along smooth as cd be - looked down and we were going 70 mph - and this was in an area with strong crosswinds. Now we also have a propride hitch. But my view is that if you can afford it - and I understand that this can be an issue for some on these forums - but if at all possible you shd go beyond the minimum and have redundancies- cause safety shd never be a concern - particularly if you are like us and are going to be taking our grandkids along.
SMWASONMYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

- Moving from 2WD to 4WD

Did you know that over 40 percent of the light trucks GM/ Chevy sells in the U.S. are made in Mexico and imported here duty free? Its their most profitable product right now.
Ford manufactures all their trucks in the U.S.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Sounds like a nice truck and if you can afford it go for it. I can also buy at employees discount from GM, but when I bought my last new TV, I could get a Ford for several thousand less, so I did. You might see what other brands offer unless you are stuck on GM
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I am thinking you are talking 1/2T? if so, I would hope you consider the 6.2L with the 8 speed in the LTZ lineup. You will really be pleased with the ride and power. Several on the Forum have been very happy, and solid record over past few years, from what I can see. Only downside to me is larger fuel tank (34+ gal) not available with GM for some reason in that model with all the tow features.. But, not a deal breaker if the price is right. I am still considering which way; new F150 or new GM..
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I am thinking you are talking 1/2T? if so, I would hope you consider the 6.2L with the 8 speed in the LTZ lineup. You will really be pleased with the ride and power. Several on the Forum have been very happy, and solid record over past few years, from what I can see. Only downside to me is larger fuel tank (34+ gal) not available with GM for some reason in that model with all the tow features.. But, not a deal breaker if the price is right. I am still considering which way; new F150 or new GM..
Yes, new Sierra 1500 SLT with the max trailering package. I did consider the 6.2L, based on the thread I believe you were referencing, but I don't think I need it for my 25' and how/where we normally tow and camp. Plus I don't want to spend the extra $2500 and always need to use premium gas. It's used almost solely for towing our AS, and while we do hope to head out west after we retire, that won't be where we spend most of our time.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
If you don't spend it, your heirs will. Drive it around the block, if you smile once...buy it.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Did you know that over 40 percent of the light trucks GM/ Chevy sells in the U.S. are made in Mexico and imported here duty free? Its their most profitable product right now.
Ford manufactures all their trucks in the U.S.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/13/news...k-mexico-ohio/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...cars/90484950/

Much of the content of vehicles is global, no matter where they are assembled. The US market is also less than half of the vehicles built and sold globally. And many of the parts that go to the global market (many for brands you've never even heard of) are manufactured here.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
If you don't spend it, your heirs will. Drive it around the block, if you smile once...buy it.

The Germans have a great saying " The last shirt has no pockets " :-) .

With that in mind I went a bought a 2017 F-250 6.7 diesel with all the bells and whistles. Traded our 2012 F-150 EcoBoost with 100 K. miles on it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Yes, new Sierra 1500 SLT with the max trailering package. I did consider the 6.2L, based on the thread I believe you were referencing, but I don't think I need it for my 25' and how/where we normally tow and camp. Plus I don't want to spend the extra $2500 and always need to use premium gas. It's used almost solely for towing our AS, and while we do hope to head out west after we retire, that won't be where we spend most of our time.
Actually, the premium gas is a plus IMHO, especially for towing, no matter which engine; we found we get 2-3 better MPG with premium and better performance. But the to address your engine comment, torque is the big difference with 6.2 vs 5.3, and towing a 25'. I had the 5.3 in 2 new Tahoes; 2008 and 2011, pulling 25' AS Safari's. One trip to Banff up 7% grade was the final straw in helping me decide to get more torque & HP so I purchased a new F150 EB...never looked back at that problem. They did not offer the 6.2 back then in the Silverado. The 6.2 has lots of torque and HP you will appreciate in the Rockies...do you have to have it? no...can you tell a difference? YES.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
There will always be shiny new models on sale with more bells and whistles than your current truck. You can upgrade twice a year if you have money to burn.

If there's nothing wrong with the truck you have now, then it's just money up in smoke. Save your money until you have a compelling reason for a new truck (other than that the new ones are newer) In the long run you can afford much nicer if you spend more conservatively now.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Your original post said "money aside".
This one, "I don't want to spend".
Can't have it both ways.

Get whatever you want!

Personally, I would not give up the crew cab. But, I would love to have the 8 speed. I like the longer wheel base for ride comfort and additional stability.

I towed over some 12,000' passes while we were out west last summer. My 5.3L with the 6 speed did just fine pulling the 25' trailer.