Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
It sounds to me like he has his weight distribution hitch over-adjusted so that there is no load on the rear axle. He should strive for a 50/50 distribution between the front and rear axles.
That would be the case. Trucks are light already, need something in the bed for stability, if not he's lightened the rear too much. I had a dealer set mine up thst way, what a handful.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
I tow with Eco boost F 150

I tow a 2016 27FB with my 2015 F150 3.5L Eco Boost. Last year I towed 13,500 miles all over the US, including the Colorado Rocky Mtns. I have had no problems. I get 11 to 12 MPG while towing on Regular unleaded (87 Oct).
dfgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
One note on the F150 is the 18" tires have substantial sidewall sway. You change them to 255/65R x 18 LR E. we use Michelins. The tires are rated to carry 80PSI but the rims are limited to 50. 50 is enough pressure in them.

The 20's are better than the stock 18's. They can be improved as well but it is not as critical.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
At least drive a Tundra before you buy a Ford...the Toyota is built for towing with a

38 gallon gas tank,

Integrated trailer brake control,

170 amp alternator and heavy duty battery

4.30 rear drive axle ratio (yes boys that is factory)

381 horse power 5.7 V-8 (no v6 here or direct injection carbon problems...just loads of power),

Towing capacity of up to 10,500 pounds and maximum payload up to 2,060 pounds.

One piece towing receiver that is integrated into the truck frame.

Tow / Haul mode

Trailer sway control (electronic)

Tundra has a larger ring gear than any other half ton.

Best resale value

Best consumer rating

Yea, I would give this beast some serious consideration before plucking my hard earned money down on a aluminum Ford...sorry Ford guys but that's my take.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #45
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Dawg View Post
I hope to travel the USA and want to make sure I have the right TV first. This is a major investment for me and I dont want to mess up. thanks
If you are looking at a new tow vehicle for a substantial amount of towing, I'd jump to a 3/4 ton.

I use my F-150 V8 with a 30' trailer a few weeks per year and it handles fine (definitely switch to LT tires), but if I was towing more often I'd upgrade to a heavier truck.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Austin , Texas
Tundra frame is as strong as F350. Plus 20inch wheels and the Platinum passenger co-pilot seat has all the electronic controls like the drivers seat.
PaulG_4307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Austin , Texas
Most of the Fords in our WBCCI Unit are F250 Diesel.
PaulG_4307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Been around the USA twice with our 2015 F150 & 27' FC. Totally pleased, especially with the great transmission on downhill runs. Plenty of power. Curious why the max tow isn't available now as we have it on our Platinum model.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #49
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
I guess all the guys driving chevys rams and toyotas will be amused their v8s are obsolete 😆😆. Not to mention the ford and chevy diesels that are also V8??? I know my 16 5.0 does a good job with my fc25 For the record, everyone I know with a EB is pleased. Good engine
I believe the comment was about the Ford 5.0, not all V8s. I agree with it. The V8 is there for those who are nervous about or reluctant to buy current technology. A friend just bought an F150 with the 5.0. I asked him why no Ecoboost. He didn't want any of that newfangled technology. He said they had been making the 5.0 forever. Fair enough. Not worth pointing out that this isn't the same 5.0 they made forever. He likes his truck. That is good enough.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
It's pretty clear from reading your post that this truck will be used primarily as a tow vehicle and will not be a daily driver. If that's the case, then I think you would be better served by the extra capability of an F250 or even a 350. Why limit yourself with a light duty truck like the F150? The price difference is not that much depending on which options you choose. Might as well spend a few more bucks now and get heavy duty truck that will get the job done and more.

My tow vehicle needs are just the opposite of yours. I need a daily driver that I can use for towing my trailer occasionally. My Cayenne meets my needs perfectly. Someday, when I can spend more time on the road with a heavier trailer and more gear, then I will buy a heavy duty truck.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #51
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
To the OP:

"should I be OK with the F150 Ecoboost?"

I think an F150 will serve you fine.

I don't know if the specific F150 you are looking at will do so, lacking info on its specific payload.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Max Tow IS available...not sure the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRINALDI View Post
Been around the USA twice with our 2015 F150 & 27' FC. Totally pleased, especially with the great transmission on downhill runs. Plenty of power. Curious why the max tow isn't available now as we have it on our Platinum model.
The Max Tow package is available in the Lariat and also as an "option" on the Platinum and King Rancher...I just specked it out a Platinum on line with:
701A $2,540; Off Road Package $770; and Max Tow Package at $1,295.

Going to see it today!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Payload is important....

Going through this exercise again with the dealer...each truck is different, and you really need to look at each truck's inside door sticker to see payload...my 2012 Platinum for example, only has 1039lbs Max Payload! That sucks! Besides mileage on my EB now over 108K, the payload is main reason I am trading...(plus, want the new EB torque/HP and 10 speed!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I believe the comment was about the Ford 5.0, not all V8s. I agree with it. The V8 is there for those who are nervous about or reluctant to buy current technology. A friend just bought an F150 with the 5.0. I asked him why no Ecoboost. He didn't want any of that newfangled technology. He said they had been making the 5.0 forever. Fair enough. Not worth pointing out that this isn't the same 5.0 they made forever. He likes his truck. That is good enough.
These days most auto manufacturers seem to down sizing their engines and using turbo chargers. Part of it is the "image". No one wants to be known as the company that makes big inefficient engines. While smaller displacement turbo charged engines seem to get better MPG per EPA tests, real world testing shows negligible improvement in MPG. I believe Car and Driver did a comparison test of F150 EcoBoost and F150 5.0 V8. They both got the same MPG, not towing, while towing MPG of 5.0 V8 was better than EcoBoost. I think when it comes to reliability its a wash as EcoBoost is already proven to be reliable. EcoBoost has more torque at lower RPMs and does not suffer in altitudes and is better for going uphill. Going downhill 5.0 V8 having 2 more cylinders and a bigger displacement should be better than EcoBoost in engine braking. V8 sounds awesome. EcoBoost not so much. Both are great engines.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
So I am looking at a new 2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5L V6. It only comes with the basic tow package (not the Max tow package). In addition, I am getting the 3.55 electronic locking rear axle. I will be pulling a 27 FB with a GRVW of 7600 lbs. and a hitch weight of 770. I will also be installing a propride3 WD hitch. I hope to travel the USA and want to make sure I have the right TV first. This is a major investment for me and I dont want to mess up. thanks
Your last sentence tells me you should spec your new truck with the best towing options Ford offers, and not accept a truck just because it is available on the lot now. If using a half ton truck, go for the max specs. I just used the same logic when buying a new Silverado. Properly equipped trucks were very rare. I searched the whole western US to find the proper combination, and gave up after a week with no luck. Then, out of nowhere one dropped out of the sky at a dealer near my home. It had the right stuff. I'm glad I waited.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tundra just not there yet, in many ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
At least drive a Tundra before you buy a Ford...the Toyota is built for towing with a

38 gallon gas tank,

Integrated trailer brake control,

170 amp alternator and heavy duty battery

4.30 rear drive axle ratio (yes boys that is factory)

381 horse power 5.7 V-8 (no v6 here or direct injection carbon problems...just loads of power),

Towing capacity of up to 10,500 pounds and maximum payload up to 2,060 pounds.

One piece towing receiver that is integrated into the truck frame.

Tow / Haul mode

Trailer sway control (electronic)

Tundra has a larger ring gear than any other half ton.

Best resale value

Best consumer rating

Yea, I would give this beast some serious consideration before plucking my hard earned money down on a aluminum Ford...sorry Ford guys but that's my take.
SAY WHAT??
Just spent almost an hour with the "experts" at the Toyota dealership here in Austin, after leaving the Ford dealer. Ended up educating the Toyota guys on "payload sticker" vs "on-line" specs. Amusing to see them back down, after they had been telling me "the Tundra has a 2000 pound payload rating" ....yea, right! We looked at 5 nicely equipped trucks on the lot and largest payload was 1280 lbs! The new "1794" model, was very nice inside, but it only had 1248 payload. Their brochure says you can get "up to" 1630 pounds on the nicer models (Limited and Polatinum , but none were even close on the lot. Add 4X4, running boards, and few other options and your at the 1200lb limit...and that was without a sunroof! Tundra is still suffer from old technology of 6 speed and poor MPG- 13 town;15-18 highway. Torque at 401FP; 380 HP. It does come with a 38 gallon fuel tank...but with the poor mileage, I think that's why they offer it! Next year they said they will have 8 speed~ maybe I will look again assuming I am not driving my new F150.
Don't get me wrong; I am sure it is capable, comfortable, and resale is great. Just does not have the mpg, multispeed trany the others have, nor the payload for my needs.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
I'm not familiar with the 'numbers' for the F150, but my Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 engine is rated to tow 9400 lbs. with a GCWR OF 15,000 lbs.
All loaded up with a full tank of water the 27FB weighs 6620, and combined weight is right at 13k. My 'seat of the pants' impression is that I wouldn't want to go much heavier. I've only towed it home from the dealer, and a trip to the scales, all pretty flat here in Florida. The truck is doing the job well, and I expect it to handle hills okay. Pennsylvania and New York mountains will be the real test.
I'm not a Ford guy, but a 3.5 V6 doesn't sound like the right choice. I think it's turbocharged, right? That will help, but it's going to make that small displacement engine work very hard. I have to wonder about durability.
A wise man once said, "There is no substitute for cubic inches"
I think I need more. I think you will need lots more. Especially if you plan to cross the Rockies.
You are living in the dark ages my friend. Back when a 20 hand plow horse and new wagon was medival state of the art. Go test drive a '17 3.5 L Ecoboost w/ the 10 speed tranny. We get 24 mpg average, tow around 19 and burn the tires whenever you feel like it. Torque? Holy BBQ rabbit on a stick! Plenty to go around even while towing uphill.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
So I am looking at a new 2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5L V6. It only comes with the basic tow package (not the Max tow package). In addition, I am getting the 3.55 electronic locking rear axle. I will be pulling a 27 FB with a GRVW of 7600 lbs. and a hitch weight of 770. I will also be installing a propride3 WD hitch. I hope to travel the USA and want to make sure I have the right TV first. This is a major investment for me and I dont want to mess up. thanks

Load it right, don't be in a hurry and you'll be fine.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #59

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
I'm not familiar with the 'numbers' for the F150, but my Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 engine is rated to tow 9400 lbs. with a GCWR OF 15,000 lbs.
All loaded up with a full tank of water the 27FB weighs 6620, and combined weight is right at 13k. My 'seat of the pants' impression is that I wouldn't want to go much heavier. I've only towed it home from the dealer, and a trip to the scales, all pretty flat here in Florida. The truck is doing the job well, and I expect it to handle hills okay. Pennsylvania and New York mountains will be the real test.
I'm not a Ford guy, but a 3.5 V6 doesn't sound like the right choice. I think it's turbocharged, right? That will help, but it's going to make that small displacement engine work very hard. I have to wonder about durability.
A wise man once said, "There is no substitute for cubic inches"
I think I need more. I think you will need lots more. Especially if you plan to cross the Rockies.
I just towed our new 26U from New Jersey to Texas with my 2017 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the new 10-speed. 11 mpg running about 68 mph with a couple of seriously windy days on the trip, through the Blue Ridge mountains that are certainly not the Rockies but certainly not a problem with 470 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rpm (90% of which is available at 1900 rpm) and 375 hp. It rarely needed to shift below 8th (the first overdrive ratio) unless I wanted to accelerate uphill.

Contrary to your antiquated quote, it's a fantastic substitute for the 54% larger displacement of my previous truck, delivering more power, better fuel economy, more flexibility and a much easier drive. I'm looking forward to taking it through the Rockies on the way to view the eclipse in August. I considered GM's 6.2 and test-drove it... it does OK near sea level but needs the spurs put to it to make power even down here compared to the Ecoboost, and at altitude the fact is that there's no substitute for forced induction.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG_4307 View Post
A member of our WBCCI club has the Ford Ecoboost and complains constantly about the performance. The aluminum frame makes the rear end so light his trailer pulls it sideways on turns. It will work but just barely. The Tundra V8 was our choice. Made in Texas and has performed perfectly with the Flying Cloud 27FB.
Sure just a typo but the Ford does not have an aluminum frame. Body, not frame. The frame in fact is stronger on the 2015's on than prior years. I put 75,000 miles on my 2015 F150 Platinum EB and never experienced an issue as noted. Agree with other comment about a WD hitch not properly adjusted. In a 2017 F250 now and love it.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote