Old 06-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Kent , Ohio
Set up for a family of six?

We're really new to this, but considering jumping in next year. I've read a lot of the forums and articles, and I'm trying to sort out what might be a workable option for our family.

We have a family of six (two adults, 1 heading to college, 1 in high school, and 2 in kindergarten. Yes. It is a wide age spread.)

Something that will reasonably sleep 5 is probably ok - the little two can share a bed for now, and the oldest (our only girl) may not be joining us that often in a few years. Sleeping room for all 6 is probably better, though.

Our typical use case is 1-2 week trips. We are in Ohio, so we might go around the Great Lakes or down to Florida or the Smokey Mountains or (my goal) out west. (We were supposed to go to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons this year but we got cancelled due to COVID.) As long as laundry is available occasionally, we can pack pretty light. (We've finally passed the days of needing a double stroller - yay!)

As it happens, I need to get a new car, probably a large SUV, next year anyway. It would be great if we could find something that could work both to haul the kids around on a daily basis and also serve as a TV.

All of these things in mind, is there a combination of AS and TV that those of you with experience would recommend? I like the rear hatch option on the Flying Clouds, but I'm not sure if a 27' is too big to tow or too small to fit us all? (I'd like the best of both worlds, not the worst... ) And for the TV, safety is really important, so I don't want to overload, but I also am not sure a truck will hold us all that well for a long trip.

Does anyone have a Goldilocks solution for us? Thanks!

mickeyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mantua , Ohio
Hello Neighbor!

I noticed you're from Kent, so you might recognize "Mantua." Anyhow, we've got a family of 5 and we've done a bunch of research as for TV and AS combinations. As it sits, the option that seems to make the most sense is a cargo van. They have the cargo capacity, seating, and towing to handle everything. As for the airstreams, none of the factory floor plans seem to suit what we were looking for well. We have 4 center beds in a 2 bunk, 2 bed configuration, the front bed that converts to and from the table and bed. We've also toyed with the idea of a rear bed as well. This is all custom designed because we're restoring an airstream. I'd love to chat more. Our eye seems to gravitate towards the globetrotter layouts, but I think the flying cloud seems to sleep more. Cheers!
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote