Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Securing your tow vehicle

I think my tow truck will be parked most of the time. That in conjuction with the fact that I am single and have nobody to seat and watch my stuff makes me worry and is an additional concern during full timing. I will be working full time, away from the premises, so security is of paramount importance. (to me - others are in different circumstances)

A tow vehicle can be stolen if you leave it for extended periods, and who would drive a big-block V8 truck when you have a light 4 cylinder with 3 times the MPG.

You can disable it by pulling a fuse, say fuel pump.

Even easier, pull a plug wire which goes from the distributor to the ignition module (the shortest plug wire).

Any other ideas?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
There are several things you can do.

1. Remove the coil wire.
2. Place a switch on the starter exciter wire. Cuts the circuit and starter wont engage.
3. Place switch on the fuel pump. Over kill but effective. They may get it cranked but it will die shortly.
4. Big Log Chain around the axle. HEHE.
5. Big Dog in front seat. (large snake works also) another joke
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Newer cars and trucks have a distributorless ignition system (DIS). They have no coil wire to swap. A clever thief would take a quick look at the fuse box and replace a missing one, to see if it starts.
A way to disable a vehicle that is going to be sitting for a while (a few days or more) would be to find the Fuel Pump relay. Go to your local auto parts store, and buy a replacement.
Now use a test light and find the prong on the relay that powers the fuel pump.
Using a pair of wire cutters, CUT THAT PRONG OFF.
When leaving the vehicle for an extended period, replace the fuel pump relay with the one you just modified. A thief will try to start, look at the fuses and relays, see nothing missing, and hopefully move on to another vehicle.
When it is time to use the vehicle, replace the dummy relay, and drive away.
Can you tell I have had some time to think on this?
Terry
(in Florida)
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Or simpler yet - just get a sticker from a security place "Protected by Lo-Jack"... As I found out with my Jeep two years ago - if they want anything they will take it. Odds are if they are after something they are simply going to strip it on the spot anyways. Proper insurance policy is the only real protection against theft.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I think the coil wire plus a fuse would be sufficient.

In our crazy times, nothing surprises me anymore. This truck is a decade old, doesn't look as neat as some new ones, but even that can be a target.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Roulette

Put 10 switches in the dash. One for the starter, one for the fuel pump, and eight that sound the horn. ( It's a joke!)
Old 10-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Lightbulb taking the idea and running with it...

Roulette
Put 10 switches in the dash. One for the starter, one for the fuel pump, and eight that sound the horn. ( It's a joke!)

Use the same ten switches, all connected to the starter. Wire every other one so "up" is "off", and the rest so "down" is "off".
No matter how many times a thief would flip the switches, he would be turning at least half of them "off".
Terry