RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,868
Images: 11
Frankly,,,, I can take all of the tongue weight and more off of my truck with my hitch with 1,000 pound bars, and the tongue of my trailer ain't light.

If you cant get the tongue weight off of the truck,

A. Something is wrong with the WD system.

B. It is not setup right.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #62
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Compressing washers?
That could explain the rig being level one day and not the next?
The washers supplied by EQ are hardened and it is unlikely that they are compressing to any degree ...

Adding washers is essentially the same as raising the L-brackets. You need to find a balance where the load bars are a close to parallel to the frame/ground as possible.
__________________
2015 25' Eddie Bauer Int. / 2020 Ford Expedition 3.5 eco B
2019 Chev New Silverado 1500 6.2 V-8; equalizer hitch
AIR# 44105; formerly WBCCI 2015.1
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #63
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
I raised the ball. It still doesn't look right. I got out the instructions and started over at step 1. According to the instructions up to 1 1/4" nose down is acceptable. According to the instructions 2" compression on the rear suspension is the target. The pictogram for "acceptable" or "right" shows a sagging truck with a horizontal dotted line through it. It just isn't acceptable to me. I will tinker with it some more this weekend at the campground. I have really almost exhausted all possibilities/combinations and I cannot afford another truck. As bad as I don't like it, I may have to live with it. I will get a couple more washers to try. That will really be the last thing to try other than raising the ball again. It seems like raising the ball just pushes the tail end of the truck down even further while the trailer is remaining in the same attitude/height. All I have accomplished in all this tinkering is getting the rear of the truck up a couple of inches (a good thing- proper weight distribution) and better anti-sway control (also a good thing). Adjusting the L-brackets has had more influence on the whole rig than washers or ball height. That makes me wonder if I should get 1,200# bars. If I could just get that trailer level. The instructions indicated that I may not get the trailer level, but if I have to choose nose down is better/safer than nose up.
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #64
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
The trailer is still slightly nose down. I'm gonna try raising the ball another notch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411757022.119304.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	750.3 KB
ID:	222904
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #65
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Visually the truck looks good, as long as the rear is not higher and the front is not lower than unloaded heights. Raising the ball on the receiver should bring the trailer level and all looks well.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #66
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,664
Picture looks good. I take my trailer measurements at the front and rear frame-to-ground and then use that to determine if level. How many washers do you have in now?

It is significant if you have already raised the rear of the truck by 2". Washer number changing has the same effect as changing L-bracket height position. you can effectively change the stiffness of your load bars by moving the L-brackets closer to the coupler. IIRC the manual says to use the range of 27-32" from the center of the ball/coupling to the front edge of the L-bracket mounts.
__________________
2015 25' Eddie Bauer Int. / 2020 Ford Expedition 3.5 eco B
2019 Chev New Silverado 1500 6.2 V-8; equalizer hitch
AIR# 44105; formerly WBCCI 2015.1
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #67
Winemaker
 
rgwatkin's Avatar
 
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 189
Images: 2
I am the original poster and I thought I would give an update. I have solved my truck level issue through a combination of the tire pressures and hitch tilt angle. As I shared I am using a Husky round bar WD with 800-1200lb bars. I first tried the addition of 1 additional washer but ultimately ended up with 2 additional for a total of 7. Today I measure the weights at a CAT station and got the following:
Front TV axle: 3360 lbs
Rear TV axle: 3580 lbs
Trailer axle: 6060
Total Axles: 13,000

Additionally: Here were the fender well height differentials.
Front axle before hookup: 36 1/8 after: 36"
Rear axle before hookup: 38 1/2 after 38"

The other piece of data is: the trailer is absolutely plumb level.

I feel much better and am much more confident in the setup.
The AS dealership in our local area did the original setup and am a little disappointed that they did not do it right the first time. A newbie to WD towing is not going to be able trouble shoot until he/she acquires the knowledge and that be definition is going to take a while.

Rich
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #68
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,748
Thumbs up

Man, that is a sharp looking rig and setup right there m.hony! Too bad this forum doesn't allow us to have signature images. A lil HDR filter and it pops!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m-hony.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	222913  
__________________
Family of 5 exploring the USA with a Ram Power Wagon & Airstream in tow.
OUR BLOG | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #69
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
I have 6 washers. I might add 1 or 2 more-
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #70
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Man, that is a sharp looking rig and setup right there m.hony! Too bad this forum doesn't allow us to have signature images. A lil HDR filter and it pops!

I'm pretty fond of it-
I wish I could get rid of the house and live in the camper at the shop-
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #71
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,868
Images: 11
If i could get my wife's sewing machine in an Airstream I think I could get rid of my house all together....
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member
 
No. 13's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
I am the original poster and I thought I would give an update. I have solved my truck level issue through a combination of the tire pressures and hitch tilt angle. As I shared I am using a Husky round bar WD with 800-1200lb bars. I first tried the addition of 1 additional washer but ultimately ended up with 2 additional for a total of 7. Today I measure the weights at a CAT station and got the following:
Front TV axle: 3360 lbs
Rear TV axle: 3580 lbs
Trailer axle: 6060
Total Axles: 13,000

Additionally: Here were the fender well height differentials.
Front axle before hookup: 36 1/8 after: 36"
Rear axle before hookup: 38 1/2 after 38"

The other piece of data is: the trailer is absolutely plumb level.

I feel much better and am much more confident in the setup.
The AS dealership in our local area did the original setup and am a little disappointed that they did not do it right the first time. A newbie to WD towing is not going to be able trouble shoot until he/she acquires the knowledge and that be definition is going to take a while.

Rich
Rich...glad you got things figured out...and sorry you thread got hijacked...I forgot you were the OP. After I got my trailer set up from the dealer I spent hours in the storage yard fine tuning. It was well worth it. I haven't messed with the hitch adjustments for a long time, but I keep experimenting with tire pressures...it is always a work in progress. Good luck and post a pic with your newly leveled rig. Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #73
Rivet Master
 
1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If i could get my wife's sewing machine in an Airstream I think I could get rid of my house all together....
I have both my sewing machine AND my serger in our A/S....

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #74
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,059
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
The washers supplied by EQ are hardened and it is unlikely that they are compressing to any degree ...

Adding washers is essentially the same as raising the L-brackets. You need to find a balance where the load bars are a close to parallel to the frame/ground as possible.
Hi, with the washers in place, the slack bolt tight, and the head bolts tight, I don't believe that the washers could get smashed. If everything was loose, maybe the washers could get hammered, but something much worse would soon happen. Basically, I'm saying that I don't believe in smashed washers.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #75
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,059
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I raised the ball. It still doesn't look right. I got out the instructions and started over at step 1. According to the instructions up to 1 1/4" nose down is acceptable. According to the instructions 2" compression on the rear suspension is the target. The pictogram for "acceptable" or "right" shows a sagging truck with a horizontal dotted line through it. It just isn't acceptable to me. I will tinker with it some more this weekend at the campground. I have really almost exhausted all possibilities/combinations and I cannot afford another truck. As bad as I don't like it, I may have to live with it. I will get a couple more washers to try. That will really be the last thing to try other than raising the ball again. It seems like raising the ball just pushes the tail end of the truck down even further while the trailer is remaining in the same attitude/height. All I have accomplished in all this tinkering is getting the rear of the truck up a couple of inches (a good thing- proper weight distribution) and better anti-sway control (also a good thing). Adjusting the L-brackets has had more influence on the whole rig than washers or ball height. That makes me wonder if I should get 1,200# bars. If I could just get that trailer level. The instructions indicated that I may not get the trailer level, but if I have to choose nose down is better/safer than nose up.
Hi, I finally set my hitch up with 6 1/2 washers. Six wasn't quite enough and seven would have been too much. I found a washer that was half as thick as the rest; Therefore I call it six and one half washers. I have a picture of this on the Equal-I-zer hitch thread. What is the payload on your truck and what is the tongue weight on your trailer? Instead of 1200 lb bars, I would add a leaf to the rear suspension first. Spring bars shouldn't have to make up for the lack of payload of the tow vehicle. I also moved my "L" brackets to the farthest distance from the ball. I believe that they all should be set there. The longer distance gives the spring bars more leverage and more room for flexibility.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 AM   #76
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
I would think L-brackets closer to the ball would have more effect- more lift, more pressure on the weight bars-
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #77
TahoeStream'n
 
subfan1's Avatar
 
2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 955
Images: 3
More pressure on your trailer as well, not good on a equalizer hitch.
Raise the hitch head one more hole and your there. The truck now doesn't look like its squating or low in the back now. From your picture you posted


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
2018 GMC Sierra Denali
2019 23CB International
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #78
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12,111
I'm not going to move the L-brackets- just a contrasting thought to what someone had posted-
Hope to raise the ball one notch today.
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #79
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
To the OP, it's great you got it right. Now go out confidently and camp. Good job. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #80
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,748
I think you need a 3/4 ton. You're just trying to tow to much with such a little truck.


:P




<runs and hides>
__________________
Family of 5 exploring the USA with a Ram Power Wagon & Airstream in tow.
OUR BLOG | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sagging kitchen counter tandemfish General Motorhome Topics 6 10-17-2006 08:39 PM
Fresh Water Tank is Sagging Hunter_1 Fresh Water Systems 5 04-27-2006 09:32 AM
Sagging rear bumper igenerally Bumpers & Bumper Storage 1 05-08-2005 08:42 PM
Sagging Door in '92 300LE fangthorpe Airstream Motorhome Forums 3 12-30-2003 03:02 PM
Sagging Shower w9det 2001 Safari 1 09-12-2003 02:28 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.