Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
'Rugged' styling of current full size pickup trucks

I ran across this post the other day. Its about the "feminine" styling of 1962 Ford Styleside pickup.
Curbside Classic: 1962 Ford Styleside F-100 Pickup – That Most Feminine Truck

While I don't want my truck to be overtly "feminine" I am going to register a complaint about the current trucks all trying to outdo each other in an appearance of "rugged" "tough' etc. and none particularly attractive or elegant in appearance. I'm trying not to offend anyone but I'm very strongly considering a Toyota Tundra at this point and the way it looks is not one of features compelling me to buy it. I have an 1999 F250 which has served me very well but beautiful styling IMO is not its strong suit. The new ones have become quite exaggerated in their looks-in your face badging, chrome, fittings on top of the style. The GM offerings are the most attractive and toned down I think, but still on a downhill trajectory from some of their '90s models.

Anyone else wish the styling trends in pickup trucks would revert to something else? Something a little more sleek and attractive?
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think I buy that they are 'feminine', but they certainly had style. I don't care for the latest redesign on the Ford trucks. The van's have this HUGE chrome and balck grill/headlight assembly that looks stuck on and makes the nose look so heavy you think it might tip over.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I don't think I buy that they are 'feminine', but they certainly had style. I don't care for the latest redesign on the Ford trucks. The van's have this HUGE chrome and balck grill/headlight assembly that looks stuck on and makes the nose look so heavy you think it might tip over.
I agree. It almost like the style isn't aiming at all to be pleasing to the eye, just someone crying for chrome and "heavy duty look" and trowling on some more. The badges these days are bold, and big enough to eat a meal off of.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
I'll be different

I think the new Ram is one of the best styled vehicles out there, I do want/insist on chrome bumpers and a nice grille. I am very tired of plactic monochromatic looks, and headlights that are way to big, and overstyled. I am a traditional buyer that looks for handsome or masculine looking (tough) cars and trucks. Cute does not make my cut. While the Tundra might be a good truck, it looks bloated and heavy, especially the bed, (JUST MY OPINION) Being a Dodge man, and living through years of cost effective interiors it's nice to see the brand start to pay attention to their interiors. As far as trucks go, the big three have their act together. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
I doubt I'll be looking back at the Tundra admiring its looks as much as some vehicles I've owned. Its not good looking. Lets put it that way.

The big 3 must be meeting their market because they're selling these trucks. Unfortunately looking at them doesn't do it for me.

The last one which really knocked me over was the GM pickups 1988. They looked smooth to me and I ended up with a '92 Chevy. It proved to be a very good truck. They were heavily customized at the time with many very sharp trucks running around in the '90s.

Today, I'd buy any of the big 3 plus Toyota if one had compelling good looks. Since IMO they don't I'm strongly considering the Toyota based on close dealer, very good previous luck w/products, and older design which has bugs out. Style not involved.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Well its off truck shopping today. I know a new one will be nice and who's to argue with 380 horsepower, six speed transmission, modern factory stereo etc.

But here's a pic from an era where when this came out I went wow! Era of Boyd's wheels and lack of clutter on the trim.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I ran across this post the other day. Its about the "feminine" styling of 1962 Ford Styleside pickup.
Curbside Classic: 1962 Ford Styleside F-100 Pickup – That Most Feminine Truck

While I don't want my truck to be overtly "feminine" I am going to register a complaint about the current trucks all trying to outdo each other in an appearance of "rugged" "tough' etc. and none particularly attractive or elegant in appearance. I'm trying not to offend anyone but I'm very strongly considering a Toyota Tundra at this point and the way it looks is not one of features compelling me to buy it. I have an 1999 F250 which has served me very well but beautiful styling IMO is not its strong suit. The new ones have become quite exaggerated in their looks-in your face badging, chrome, fittings on top of the style. The GM offerings are the most attractive and toned down I think, but still on a downhill trajectory from some of their '90s models.

Anyone else wish the styling trends in pickup trucks would revert to something else? Something a little more sleek and attractive?
I totally agree with you on the newest trends in pick up styling. I have the one of the early Toyota Tundras and love the size. Unfortunately the new Tundra is following ford and dodge and now making trucks the size of locomotives.

The new GM/Chevolet has dailed back the exterior dimensions with very good results. BUT how many square yards of chrome can a truck have before it can now longer be even considered a real truck. Trucks with lots of chrome are just big show offs.

But there is and even dumber trend. Otherwise grown up men removing the stock exhausts and installing loud exhausts and straight pipes. How MORONIC is that?

Now they are big, loud, and ugly and just plain rude.

Americans love big, thirsty, and shiny so that is what they sell.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post

But there is and even dumber trend. Otherwise grown up men removing the stock exhausts and installing loud exhausts and straight pipes. How MORONIC is that?

Now they are big, loud, and ugly and just plain rude.
This is especially annoying in the city. Seems these jokers are making up for something.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Simply put, chrome bumpers (in fact, metal bumpers at all) look dated.

(NOT A FAN OF THE HOOD OR DECALS IN THIS INSTANCE, but the bumper and grill are where its at!)

Those older Silverado look like giant, old Nissan Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
But there is and even dumber trend. Otherwise grown up men removing the stock exhausts and installing loud exhausts and straight pipes. How MORONIC is that? Now they are big, loud, and ugly and just plain rude. Americans love big, thirsty, and shiny so that is what they sell.
There is an even dumber trend. Otherwise functional manufacturers cutting corners that matter and not giving us more efficient intakes and exhausts. How MORONIC is that?

(I daily drive a 12 second car.)
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
The new trucks have gotten not only bigger but much higher off the ground. Try reaching in the back of the truck for anything. Forget it. You have to climb in the back to get anything out. Its s if they don't want a competitor to be an inch higher. I am a GM guy but if any truck, domestic or foreign, made a sensible lower one, I would buy it.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
me again

Yup, removed the factory exhaust in the first month, added a flowmaster dual exhaust system, (not overly loud) and a K/N air filter system. Better breathing, and a nice rumble. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Truck styling these days is all about Man Appeal; bigger and tougher 'cos men are big and tough. The sad thing is, this sales pitch seems to work.

As a newly arrived European (not wishing to offend anyone) I struggle to see why anyone would want such monsters, but they do; it's a North Anerican thing I guess. Not many people have trucks in Europe, they use too much gas, but I notice that panel vans in Europe are growing big aggressive grilles and light clusters; who drives panel vans? Big aggressive men of course! It's all very depressing :~(

Me? I'm a man sufficiently confident in my own identity to drive whatever is the most practical vehicle for the job, not one that simply looks tough. Now where did I put the keys to my Fiat 500? :~)

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
not overly loud inside the cab...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Yup, removed the factory exhaust in the first month, added a flowmaster dual exhaust system, (not overly loud) and a K/N air filter system. Better breathing, and a nice rumble. MPJ
Hey, some guys just got to have two pipes sticking out the back. Two big ones and all chromey! But removing a perfectly good ( and brand new) exhaust just sounds like spending good $ after bad.

And that idling rumble becomes obnoxious noise pollution when the slightest acceleration is needed. Just like the harley guys, it's never big or loud enough. However it is too loud for everyone else. I just don't get it and we still have to live with the noise until the hot rod rehash fad becomes as fashion worn as a tatoo on a fat hairy dude.

I really hate this loud exhaust fad and the sooner existing laws start being enforced the better off we will all be, not to mention the environment. I would hope those of us that are avid campers would be more sensitive to the environment and think about how this added noise lowers our quality of life.

Think about others before adding more noise.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
The new trucks have gotten not only bigger but much higher off the ground. Try reaching in the back of the truck for anything. Forget it. You have to climb in the back to get anything out. Its s if they don't want a competitor to be an inch higher. I am a GM guy but if any truck, domestic or foreign, made a sensible lower one, I would buy it.
My same thoughts. I suspect the height might come down after some folks spend the day throwing bags of cement over the sides of the truck bed. Or try to throw some bales of hay in one. I'm sure a lot of 5th wheels won't fit over one either. But then we don't see folks actually working around any of these tall trucks in the ads either.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
As a newly arrived European (not wishing to offend anyone) I struggle to see why anyone would want such monsters, but they do; it's a North Anerican thing I guess. Not many people have trucks in Europe, they use too much gas, but I notice that panel vans in Europe are growing big aggressive grilles and light clusters; who drives panel vans? Big aggressive men of course! It's all very depressing :~(
I live in farm country, and people need trucks for hauling hay, hauling loads of dirt and yard materials, towing trailers, all sorts of reasons. If you don't have a truck, you'd better have a friend who does! However everyone in our income bracket has 15-20 year old trucks, and we aren't too concerned about style - just if it's still running!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there might be a truck in my future, but I'm not sure what Ford it will be. I'm thinking F-150 with a 6.2 L engine. Seems that all of the trucks are sitting just too high. Years ago People with F-150's bought a Lightning rear spring mounting kit from Ford; It made the truck more level, lower in back than stock, handled better and looked better. I would like to do that with a newer F-150 if it can be done the same way. I think Toyota got all hung up on this height thing too; While sitting at a stop light next to a Toyota 1/2 ton pick-up, it looks like the cab is about six inches higher than the cab on my Navigator, but the Toyota hood is about a foot higher. [Gee, what kind of monster engine is in that Toyota for it to need that high of a hood?] The 250's / 350's and 2500's / 3500's are also sitting too high; They need to be lowered for proper balance and a lower center of gravity.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The noise thing is hardly a fad, it started back in the 70s and 80s. Truck too high, have it lowered. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I agree with Kosm1o on bed height.
I could reach over the side of my '90 F250 and retrieve items.
I saw a Tundra at Sams, the side of the bed is as high as my arm pit (I'm 6-0'), which pretty much makes the bed useless for my needs.
I like my '02 Tacoma for usable size.
New trucks seem to be in a race for the ugly prize. New GM's look the best to my eye.
Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The headlights on the new Fords make me think of something from a dystopian future ala Robocop or Terminator. I saw an article linked on Cartalk.com where they listed the "equal sign" grill of the 2010+ Ford F-250/F-350 as one of the top 10 ugliest.

We bought a 2006 F-250 a couple weeks ago that doesn't have the robot overlord headlights or "equal sign" grill. It's about 7' tall and 21' feet long! It REALLY doesn't need to be that tall (the length is a factor of the 8' bed and supercab - but note it's actually 2 feet longer than my B190!). But I bought it for one purpose - to tow an Airstream... styling was a secondary consideration, but it has grown on me.

On the other hand, the interior of the truck is just beautiful. Much nicer than any other vehicle I've owned or driven. I guess that's what happens when you buy a vehicle that runs in the $50K range new.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The noise thing is hardly a fad, it started back in the 70s and 80s. Truck too high, have it lowered. jim
I got my drivers license in 1969 and remember how strict the police and inspection garages were concerning mufflers. We would not get two blocks down the road before getting a ticket. Maybe they just stopped the hippies?

Now every garage and motorcycle shop sells loud aftermarket pipes to fashion fatality customers looking for some vanity noise to project their bad a$$ image.

I blame part of this on the plethora of customizer hot rod shows littering cable shows selling in your face screaming eagle pipes and candy apple chrome accessories. HD company even has a marketing slogan that says "Freedom isn't quiet" suggesting we would be more patriotic with louder pipes.

Big trucks with oversize styling also fall victim to the big is bad marketing of aftermarket products. The auto companies and Harley have latched on to this expendible income of guys that need to project their need to have the rest of the population share in their large living ways.

It all comes at a high cost with excessive noise and bypassed pollution systems helping to ruin the environment. Gigantic pick ups loaded down with twenty inch chrome wheels and chrome front ends that look like cow catchers. Double cab monsters cogging up the supermarket parking lot.

Fill er up!!! Hey, it's your money but it's everyone else's environment. The big and loud guys need to realize that what the the marketing machine is selling no longer appropriate for todays world.

THE RENTS JUST TOO DAM HIGH!!! DAT TRUCK IS JUST TOO DAM BIG!