RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Villa Park , Alabama
Roadmaster Active Suspension

Is there anybody out there using this setup or anything like it?

https://activesuspension.com/

Their website talks a good game, and they make it sound like it's an easy fix to configure a 1/2-ton truck to handle an 800 pound tongue weight.

I tow my 31 ft. '76 Sovereign with a 2500 Ram, but would rather sell my daily driver Nissan Murano and HD pickup for an F-150.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
How would it do that?
POI... all suspensions are 'active' when the vehicle is moving.
It won't increase load capability.
It will remove squat, just like a WD hitch will do.

I would stay with what you have.

FWIW...there are many 1500's towing a variety of AS's.
Get the rig dialed in and watch the loading.👍

Expect other "opinions" shortly.

Bob
🇺🇸

ďChange is the new normal, if nothing changes, nothing is normal, everything changes, everything is normal.Ē
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Houston , TX
There’s a Facebook page called Half-Ton Haulers and people just rave about it and how great it is. Which naturally makes me more suspicious. Lol

No it does not increase payload or towing capacity. But supposedly it helps reduce sag, helps with better handling and can reduce porpoising. I’m interested in trying it out.
Duramax3oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have it on a Ford Excursion. That and Bilstein shocks made a world of difference.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #5
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Just adding a bit to this thread, as I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) to my Tundra on Friday. Drove 200 mi on Sat and Sun and noticed improved handling and less bounce riding basically empty. There’s a fair amount of concrete Highway near me and for some reason even the brand new ones have a significant dip at every section. This weekend we start a 2,000 mile trip to head south, visit daughter’s family, and get some work done on the AS. (Including the 3” lift).
I’ll post back here on how I think it effects set up with towing the 25FB. I absolutely know it does not change the payload capacity of my Tundra. I’ve pulled the 25FB for 5,000+ miles with the Tundra and it’s very stable with regard to sway. However, it’s got a bit of sag, and it will bounce or porpoise on some roads. I’m hoping to minimize that.
FYI, I use the BO swaypro hitch.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I was going to put an airbag system in and a suspension person that puts in airbags said go with the road master. He uses it for pulling his camper.

I put the road master on my 2017 and 2020 F150.
1) It gets rid of the porpoising.
2) It gets rid of axle wrap which can decrease handling.
2) It makes the back end more stable and improves handling.
3) It reduces squat.

It’s better than airbags:
1) It costs far less.
2) It is more durable (airbags can puncture).

Technically it doesn’t increase payload. But it is essentially like adding another spring to the system.

By the way: I didn’t put on Bilstein shocks.
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I added the Bilstein shocks last year, and went to load range E tires (Cooper Discoverer XLT) tires earlier this year.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Wanted to update again, as I’ve now towed 350 mi (yesterday) with the Roadmaster Active Suspension. Have driven about 300 mi with RAS installed without towing also.
I will say, this is a huge difference maker for me. We pull a 25FB with a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra. Use the Blue Ox Swaypro hitch. I’ve not felt very much sway with it in the last 5,000 miles of towing, but I have felt the downward “push” of that tongue weight on the 1/2 ton suspension. Plus I’ve not liked the look of the rear squat on the Tundra. My trailer was level, but the truck was not.
With the RAS, the truck is now very level, and the trailer is tilted so the nose is up. I’m on my way to Dadeville AL to get some work done on our GT, including the 3” lift, so I’ll see how level things are once the lift is installed.
Leveling aside, I will say the biggest change with the RAS is the porpoising we were experiencing on concrete highways. It’s so much better it’s almost nonexistent! Just a huge improvement. I also went from P rated tires to E rated tires at the same time. So that may be contributing. As a disclaimer, I do not know what the long term effects are on the truck suspension and drive train, but the RAS has been around a long lime. I wasn’t not able to find any negative reviews on it. It’s by far the biggest improvement to “towing” I’ve done.
It does not increase payload capacity, but it really smooths out the ride, empty or pulling the 25FB.