RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Rivians on the Long Way Up

Been streaming the Long Way Up, a documentary about Ewan McGregor and a friend traveling from Tierra del Fuego to Los Angeles on electric Harley Davidsons.

The bikes are cool but the two Rivian R1T prototypes they are using as support vehicles are really interesting. They are beating them up pretty well (even high pointed one on a boulder) and, so far, they are holding up pretty well.

One of the neatest tricks I saw ó one of the R1Tís had a flat battery so they paid a guy with an 18 wheeler type tractor to tow him 15 minutes down the road and back ó managed to generate and store enough juice through regenerative braking to finish the segment...

The future is coming faster than we think.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Ballarat , Australia
I've only seen a few episodes but I'm pretty impressed by the Rivians, not so much the bikes. It'll be interesting to see how things change in the next 5 years.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
The Rivin does look pretty neat, though I personally think the front grill is trying to look like a cute Star Wars droid. The upcoming GMC Hummer EV also looks like a beast.

BUT!! I don't here anything about a charging network for these vehicles.

We decided, last minute yesterday, to pick up some wine where we are club members, in Sonoma county. COVID rules make it so you have a small appointment window to taste and pick up to keep occupancy controlled.

Hopped in the Model 3, only to find that the charge level had been accidently set low and we forgot to plug it in the day before. Less than 180 miles of range on it. No problem, we'll hit 1 of 5 SuperChargers between us and the first winery.

But then traffic. By the time we stopped to charge, we're already running late. The Fairfield SuperCharger was pretty good and was putting in around 350 miles per hour of charge, or 45 minutes for a full charge. But, we're on the clock and called it good after about 20 minutes.

Plenty to get to our 2 destinations. But, by then we were down enough, that to take the scenic around Clear Lake would have put us at 20% charge when we hit the SuperCharger on I5. Knowing that this route frequently has construction delays, we decided to close to call and returned home the way we came.

Point is, EVs definitely take some planning once you leave your home area. And that's with Tesla's very large network. I haven't seen or heard anything about an equally large network going in for the upcoming EVs.

Seems like Tesla figured if they wanted to sell EVs they had to provide the charging network, while Ford/GM/Rivin and the rest are hoping that if the sell enough EVs, somebody will want to capitalize on it and provide a network.

Just my thoughts.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote