Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
1500 Max Tow 6.2

We have had the new truck out a couple of times now and it just continues to impress me with not only the power but the management of the power/torque through the 8 speed and final drive ratio combinations. I was happy with the 5.3 in the Yukon xl but I knew I needed that little bit more than it could put out. Along came the 6.2 Max Tow and I have never looked back. Our gas prices have fallen again and are close to the cost of diesel so the fear of gas pricing has gone away again, for now.
we are heading off to Florida in three weeks and will be able to get a better idea of performance in I81 heading south through Penn. The hills will make it work a little more than what we typically see around here. I do not think that I will be disappointed or surprised by how it works. it is a great combination pulling the 31 classic with the Hensley. Gotta love it!
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Again, quite pleasurable to read the comments several of you left. I have no doubt that my Duramax is the better tow vehicle. However, as a regular vehicle to use daily, it kinda sucks… Pretty clumsy to drive around town, and I'm not sure in a couple of years whether I'll be able to hoist myself up into the rear bed. Silly thing sits about 4 ft. off the ground.
I'm okay with the smaller 1500 being 80% the tow vehicle the Duramax is. And I'm comfortable with only going 60 mph. versus the 75 I find myself doing way too often with the 3/4 ton.
At this point, I think my final decision will be what it's going to cost to make the switch over to the 6.2. Not sure if I want to pay any difference at all.
Pat
bpcaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Just a minor hijack of this thread as we are very interested in the 6.2 and feel it would be totally adequate as we have an 08 6L max tow.
Have any of you used the 4glte wireless hot spot yet?
We were interested in GM's new 4g Onstar as we boondock a lot but still want to have access to the Internet.
GM is now offering an upgrade to existing Onstar subscribers to have the same functionality for older units. Our 08 being one of them. It is a free upgrade as long as you take a year subscription.
Any thoughts on this? It will be a stop gap measure untill I can afford a used 6.2 in a couple of years.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It works very well, but the Ignition key must be on for it to be active......so accommodations must be made for that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It works very well, but the Ignition key must be on for it to be active......so accommodations must be made for that.
Same as the phone right now so no issue there. Thanks for answering. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
We use the LTE hotspot all the time. The kids' iPads don't have cellular and this way they can play their games on the road. Service is att but does a little better than the phones because it's got a bigger antenna. The plans aren't cheap but as long as you're not streaming movies they work great. Make sure to ask about buying a block of data for use over a year; they will try and push a monthly plan. We tend to use it much more in some months than in others.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rockwood , Maine
Regarding the pogo effect, I wonder if anybody has towed with the 2015 Denali, it has the magnetic shocks that are supposed to adjust rapidly to changing conditions? You are still limited to lighter towing stats than the max tow, but the shocks may take away the pogo affect that some of us experience with the std 1500's.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Or you can just buy the Max towing setup and purchase a darn good pair of aftermarket shocks..The Denali's are silly expensive… And by the way, I'm still on the fence.. No one has a truck I'm really jazzed about… Think I'm going to wait and see what's going on with the 2016's,,,
Pat
bpcaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
The max trailer tow package is not available on the GMC Denali or the Chevy High Country. So, choosing that option gives you less than1500 lbs payload. I wouldn't want that with an Airstream bigger than 25 feet. Also, that locks you out of the lowest final drive ratio, although I think you'd be fine with a tow weight of everything but the 30 Classic.
Regarding rear axle ratios: for 2015, GM introduced the 8-speed tranny on the 6.2 engine alone. Because that tranny has a lower first gear, the max tow axle ratio is 3:42. With the 5.3 engine, only the 6-speed is available and adding the max tow to that gives you a 3:73 rear axle. For 2014, both V8s were available only with a 6-speed and the max tow rear axle was a 3:73. I think both tranny/rear axle combinations have the same ratio spread (i.e. from lowest to highest). However, the 8-speed gives you more ratios in between. In test driving the 14 vs. the 15, I found the ration spread in the six speed to be awkward and the 8-speed to be perfect. My experience towing is that the 8-speed does a great job of matching engine to load. I think it's worth the extra $$$.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
I have been using Onstar's 4g service for about 4 months now. It has a few 'quirks' that I'm not really happy with. First, there is no way to tell when and if you are actually getting LTE service. In many cases, when using it with music services the signal will drop out. Very annoying. Also, you need to turn off the wifi function on you phones or tablets if you don't intend to use the Onstar service. The phones and tablets will access the service automatically and eat up your monthly data plan.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, Pat, I wish phones had a WIFI option to prioritize network connections. I have Xfinity and they added a feature, whereby I get public Xfinity hotspots all over automatically. Part of this system upgrade includes my personal hotspot as well as all residential and commercial customers. So, at my house, I have my secured private bandwidth and a public Xfinity bandwidth spots. There's no way for the phone to prioritize as I come and go and it always seems to grab the public spot first.

Phones need a way, other than shutting off WIFI to apply selected logic. This isn't a car or home router issue. It is a phone issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Good point! In regards to the Onstar service, having an on/off option would be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I need to explore that. I thought there was a way to do that through the radio screen under settings....but unfortunately, my current demo is an early 2015 and doesn't have WIFI. Sorry to hijack...I'll research. Pat what vehicle do you have? I'll PM you.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
I have a 2015 GMC Sierra. Just love everything about it. Got rid of the 2014 Yukon Denali. I am thoroughly convinced that the short wheelbase Yukon contributed greatly to my accident last year. The 1500 Sierra with the Max tow package toes my 27 FB beautifully!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Any known hiccups with a 2007 Sierra 2500 6.0L gas? I've located one that I am going to try to my make case on simply bc I think the price point works, it's in good condition, no payload issues, and has nice large towing mirrors. I teeter bt gas and diesel, I know they both have their pros and cons (don't have to go into those now). But just wanted to see if anyone would have any warnings against this vehicle as a TV for our 27' - any known issues with the engines, etc that I may be unaware of. Husband will give me pushback here, but I'd like to try! Perhaps a good compromise.
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
The engine has a good reputation for durability. It's also the least powerful of the gas engines offered in 3/4 ton trucks and it always brings up the rear in comparison tests. When I test drove this truck, even empty, it felt distinctly underpowered and it was the only one of the 3 gasoline powered 3/4 tons that felt that way. But, you can judge that as well as I. At 8 years old, it's probably seen a lot of tough service. For that age truck, I'd look for a Ram with the Cummins. That vintage is not a desmogged engine and they have a reputation for being pretty bullet-proof if properly maintained.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have towed with several 6.0s with 3.73. gears of that generation with my 30'er. It's fine.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Thanks guys!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Collins , Colorado
I am about to pull the trigger on one of these hard to find 1500 with 6.2l and max tow but it comes with 20"tires. Will I sacrifice ride quality and what about sidewall issues related to towing???
I'll admit I am a newbie to Streaming and even trailering in general so I'd appreciate any experience or research on this before developing this relationship with my expensive TV.
Thanks.
FortRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
20s are fine. I like 18s better from a cost standpoint, but I think that's not as bad as it used to be. I wouldn't want 22s though.

Tags