Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
Thanks D, not sure why I included that in the question. Was really just trying to determine payload difference between the 2017 2500 Sierra and 2500 Denali Diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Boy Pat, that's a really hard loaded question because it just depends on the configuration and option content of your desired non-Denali 2500. Really the best thing to do is cruise the lot and inspect the door jamb labels for non-Denalis you want and compare them to the Denalis you would consider. Literature just isn't going to get your there, as it might just give a couple specs...like base 2500 against "base" Denali (which of course isn't very base at all). But I'm afraid that comparison isn't probably very valid in respect to what you are probably looking for in a non-Denali.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #222
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Makes sense. Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #223
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Vancouver , Washington
Traded my '16 5.3 gasser Denali for '16 6.6 Duramax Denali with higher payload. Wife is happy cuz she can put whatever she want in the truck bed without checking with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Rich,

Just for grins I tried the Chevrolet inventory tool to try to find a 1500 with 6.2 and MaxTow, 2WD, Double Cab. Ha! I tried all of the major metro areas in the SE and came up dry. I suppose dealers do not order anything except 4WD and Crew Cabs? If I go this route in the future, am I destined for a special order or are there dealers who specialize in trucks for towing trailers?

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Larry, dealers have a tendency to stock based upon popular demand as reported in their area by the manufacturer delivery and registration data. By far and away, that means crew cab, regular bed, non-maxtow. I was told by a dealer that dealers in horse country stock double cab MaxTows, as it is a popular in the horse trailer community. You may need to order.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #226
Rivet Master

Thought so, heads me a certain way if I decide to change someday.
Larry
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #227
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
@"Isbrodsky"
Even if you're not in snow country, I would seriously recommend against 2wd. Even wet grass on level ground could leave you spinning. The locker rear diff does not lock in reverse; it's just an open differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The G80 Eaton locker DOES lock in reverse.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Rich,

Just for grins I tried the Chevrolet inventory tool to try to find a 1500 with 6.2 and MaxTow, 2WD, Double Cab. Ha! I tried all of the major metro areas in the SE and came up dry. I suppose dealers do not order anything except 4WD and Crew Cabs? If I go this route in the future, am I destined for a special order or are there dealers who specialize in trucks for towing trailers?

Larry
If you want to get some idea as to what's available nationwide, you can go to cars.com and do an Advanced Search where you search for two or more makes/models of vehicles. Then select Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 as the two vehicles, and type in "NHT L86" as additional search parameters for Max Trailering with the 6.2L engine. This will bring up both 2WD and 4WD vehicles. When you type in your zip code, select the radius you're willing to travel to see a vehicle, etc.

Here's the result you get for the whole US
. The yield isn't perfect, but you can see a lot of what's out there.

I ended up ordering a GMC Sierra SLT with 4WD/NHT/L86. The order was placed on 11/21 and it was built last week. Hopefully, I'll get it in a couple of weeks. That way, you can get exactly what you want...no more...no less.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:15 AM   #230
Rivet Master

Thanks, that search engine seemed to pull up vehicles with the 6.2 but not necessarily the max tow. Doesn't matter, most of them were in Texas and I would order before going that far to get a truck. Also, I have been without 4WD forever, just do not need it, no need to pay for it and the accompanying payload reduction.
Larry
Old 01-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
We took delivery on our new truck today. It was exciting...but here will be a learning curve with all of the technology!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170124_161218.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	278756
Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Also, here's the data plate showing the payload.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170124_161649-1.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	278758
Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I tried to crop and rotate the image and somehow I got a double! My truck is a short bed crew cab with the SLT Premium Plus Package, so I lose some payload.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #234
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Nice looking truck! Looking forward to hearing about your towing experience.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #235
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
After nearly a year of looking I found and bought a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT crew cab with the hard to find 420 hp 6.2 liter engine and Max tow package. This is a report on using it to pull my Flying Cloud 27, with a Pro Pride hitch. This truck, per the door sticker, has a rated cargo capacity of 1960 lbs. In my shopping, I was not able to find a 1/2 ton crew cab --other than this -- with more than 1730 lbs. capacity per the door sticker. The new F-150 promises over 2,000 lbs. with the max payload package, but that sticks you with the standard 20 gallon fuel tank (!) and Ford isn't making these until the fall. I've taken this combination through some of the Appalachians and on Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. Respecting the limits of the OEM Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer, I drive at 60 or the posted limit, whichever is lower (or as, in my judgment, conditions require). The engine easily pulled the grades I encountered, never going much over 3,000 rpm. I got 12-13 mpg on this part of the trip. The 8-speed transmission will downshift automatically to provide engine braking, even without engaging the cruise control (which down shifts more aggressively). Or you can change to manual mode and control the transmission yourself. Either way, the shifts are smooth and gentle. Most of the grades I encountered were curvy, so I was usually descending somewhat slower than the posted limit, and I slowed the rig to the posted "maximum safe speed" before entering a curve. This felt completely comfortable and drama-free. I used the brakes on descents, but never got them hot enough to smell. We were carrying a total of about 470 lbs of passengers (human and canine) and a modest amount of stuff in the bed (no generators). Other than the high price of required premium gasoline (usually 10-15 cents more than diesel), I have no complaints about the drivetrain; and observed fuel economy was 2-3 more mpg than I expected. This engine has variable displacement, and is very quick to shift to 4-cyl. mode. The suspension is a little underdamped, something that is apparent even when the truck is empty. An insufficient tension on the WD bars can produce an excessively bouncy ride on some roads; adjustment clears this up almost completely. So, if you are like my wife and I and are not thrilled with driving around a 3/4 ton (and you definitely feel the 1500-2000 lbs. additional weight driving these trucks) I think this truck is a good 1/2 ton alternative that provides a substantial cargo capacity almost equal to a lot of 3/4 tons, at least for use east of the Rockies. You will just have to look really hard to find it. Without the max tow package, this truck will have a cargo capacity of around 1500 lbs. This truck has extendable trailer tow mirrors and integrated trailer brake controller. The Max tow package includes a different rear axle and spring set up. I think the tow rating is something like 11,000 lbs. I think if I had a 30-foot trailer, I'd go for the 3/4 ton with a diesel. IIRC, the GVWR for the 30 Classic is 10,000 lbs. vs. 7600 lbs. for my trailer.
Good report - that's massive payload for a 'half ton'. Is it a 4x4 or 4x2? I have an older LS model 4x4 and it suffered from the same under damping. The easy solution was to procure some z71 package (bilstein) shocks. They're usually easy to find used with low miles as they get tossed when the off road guys lift their new trucks and provide much improved damping and bolt right on. I'm not sure if they'd fit a 4x2, though.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #236
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
For those looking...a quick way to pick out the trucks with the max tow are the mirrors. Max tows have the tow mirrors, MOST of the non max tow packages will have regular mirrors. Its not a sure fire way...but it helps weed through vast majority.

Also a quick way to tell a 5.5 ft vs 6.5 box is where the gas door is located. A 5.5 ft box will have the gas door into the flare of the fender. A 6.5 will not.

Nate
fullahotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #237
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
My truck is 4x4. @ Steve Bryant: somehow you lost 60 lbs. of payload, compared to my red GMC. And I thought my truck was loaded![emoji12]
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
D.C.,
I have the same truck with the SLT Premium Plus Pkg. which includes the sprayed - on bedliner among other things...so I can see a 60 pound differential. I don't have a sun roof.

Steve
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #239
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Well I went looked at a couple different models this week. Trying to decide between the max tow or the 2500 HD Denali 6.0l. Currently in my area both of these vehicles are priced the same, around $52,000. One thing I noticed and didn't like on the max tow was the clunkiness of the transmission. The salesman told me that was typical of the 8 speed. I'd like to ask those that own this truck if that is indeed normal.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #240
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
My 8 speed can be rather clunky at times. What i would say is that there is a small learning curve on how to drive it to avoid the clunking. I found if you "get up and go" from a stop, it works beautifully. I am not talking about mashing the pedal from a stop, but something slightly more than an old man drive style where you try to see how long you can stay in any given gear. I found the 8 spd likes to shift, so I let it. The 8 spd clunks when it isn't sure if you are going to want it to upshift or down shift - and as a result it sometimes makes a bad decision which results in a clunk.... I find i am most apt to get a clunk putz around in a gear.

My dad has a 6.2/8 spd denali, but his doesn't clunk like mine, but i suspect that might be due to the different gearing his has.
fullahotair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags