Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #201

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Boy, I'm not sure what all it has that my LTZ Chevy doesn't have that can make it 500ish less than mine. Was this a crew cab long bed? You say sunroof, which I don't have...did it have factory invoiced side steps and tonneau? Mine has a sticker payload of 2034. Are you sure it had NHT coded MaxTow package?
I cannot swear that it's got Max Tow, and since it didn't have the trailer mirrors it wasn't one I wanted and therefore didn't have them print me a copy of the window sticker.

The big chunky pipe-looking side steps are part of the All Terrain package, I think. It did not have a tonneau, just a spray-in bedliner. It WAS the crew cab and may have been long bed. It was the only 6.2 SLT they had in stock at Cavender, so I was driving it to see what I thought of the platform and the 6.2 more than evaluating that particular unit for purchase. I'm a picky curmudgeon and will likely custom-order my next truck, probably this month.

I could edit the previous paragraphs but I feel lazy and I'm supposed to go for groceries. It occurred to me that I could get the sticker from the dealer's website. It was a Sierra 1500 "Short Crew" 7200 lb GVWR, options are Sunroof, Nav, brake controller, 6.2, All Terrain, 20" all-terrain tires. So, no Max Tow, and maybe you can't get that with the All Terrain pkg anyway.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I cannot swear that it's got Max Tow, and since it didn't have the trailer mirrors it wasn't one I wanted and therefore didn't have them print me a copy of the window sticker.

The big chunky pipe-looking side steps are part of the All Terrain package, I think. It did not have a tonneau, just a spray-in bedliner. It WAS the crew cab and may have been long bed. It was the only 6.2 SLT they had in stock at Cavender, so I was driving it to see what I thought of the platform and the 6.2 more than evaluating that particular unit for purchase. I'm a picky curmudgeon and will likely custom-order my next truck, probably this month.

I could edit the previous paragraphs but I feel lazy and I'm supposed to go for groceries. It occurred to me that I could get the sticker from the dealer's website. It was a Sierra 1500 "Short Crew" 7200 lb GVWR, options are Sunroof, Nav, brake controller, 6.2, All Terrain, 20" all-terrain tires. So, no Max Tow, and maybe you can't get that with the All Terrain pkg anyway.
Well NHT gets you a larger rear axle, heavier rear springs and 400 pounds more payload. That make sense and puts you at 1850-1900 available payload. MaxTow has gvwr at 7600 pounds. It also gets you a 9.75" ring gear at 3.42, as opposed to 3.23 in the non-maxtow truck.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #203
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I test drove one of these today. It was a LTZ double cab (not the crew cab). It had a payload sticker of 2024lbs. It drove really well. I currently have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. My Ram tows extremely well, but is not all that fun for me when not towing. I have a Flying Cloud 30 and am really on the fence about going back to a 1/2 ton truck. My main concerns are towing stability 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton and how well it can handle a heavy trailer while descending steep inclines. I really love my exhaust brake in the mountains. I also wish Chevrolet offered a larger gas tank like Ford does. I have been spoiled with the longer range of the diesel. Can anyone with one of the larger Airstreams give me their impressions of how well these perform in the mountains (primarily downhill that I am concerned with).
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
I test drove one of these today. It was a LTZ double cab (not the crew cab). It had a payload sticker of 2024lbs. It drove really well. I currently have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. My Ram tows extremely well, but is not all that fun for me when not towing. I have a Flying Cloud 30 and am really on the fence about going back to a 1/2 ton truck. My main concerns are towing stability 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton and how well it can handle a heavy trailer while descending steep inclines. I really love my exhaust brake in the mountains. I also wish Chevrolet offered a larger gas tank like Ford does. I have been spoiled with the longer range of the diesel. Can anyone with one of the larger Airstreams give me their impressions of how well these perform in the mountains (primarily downhill that I am concerned with).
Again, I had the opportunity to tow with many varients of 2500's and 1500 suvs and PUs as company demos. I chose the 1500 MaxTow when I spent my money. I have a 30 classic. Do I need to say more?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #205
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Dzn, was your decision to spend your money on the 1500 based on how it performed while towing or a combination of it as a TV and and everyday vehicle? Would you have made the same decision if the 1500 was to be a tow vehicle only?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
Dzn, was your decision to spend your money on the 1500 based on how it performed while towing or a combination of it as a TV and and everyday vehicle? Would you have made the same decision if the 1500 was to be a tow vehicle only?
Decision was based on towing and touring only. It is pretty much a dedicated tow vehicle. 14 months old and only 7400 miles on it, if that gives you any indication. The only non-performance trait that went into the decision was that a 2500 does make my wife's sciatica flair a bit, but it wasn't a show stopper.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #207
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So, no Max Tow, and maybe you can't get that with the All Terrain pkg anyway.
The All Terrain package comes with the Z71 suspension, this negates the Max Tow as it requires the Z82 suspension
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #208
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
A little off topic, but does anyone tow with the 6.2 without max trailer package? Looking to replace my 05 Denali with a new one but it's only available with 3.23 rear.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
A little off topic, but does anyone tow with the 6.2 without max trailer package? Looking to replace my 05 Denali with a new one but it's only available with 3.23 rear.
Yes, I have. I had a 2015 Sierra demo 6.2L, 8 speed, 3.23 gear , non-maxtow. It was OK....much better than a 5.3L, but noticeably less spunky towing than my personal 6.2L Maxtow Silverado.

But the biggest difference is the 400# LESS payload and rear axle capacity with the non-maxtow. There is less GCWR and TWR with the non-maxtow as well.

My advice is to skip the Denali package and get an SLT Maxtow, 6.2/3.42.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
I also would recommend that you go with the Max Towing as it has enough capacity (Tow Rating/Payload) over the standard Sierra 1500/Denali to make it worthwhile for towing your trailers. I've ordered a Crew Cab/Short Bed GMC SLT with the Max Tow/6.2L and the SLT Crew Cab Premium Plus Option Package which is almost the same level of amenities as the Denali. It lacks Magnetic Ride Control and the styling treatment of the Denali, but otherwise is nearly the same.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
With Chevrolet, you can get it in a double cab as well as crew.
Same as GMC of course.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #212
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Same as GMC of course.
...and double cab/regular bed gets you about 200# more payload than crew/regular bed. crew/short bed gets you back about 100# of the "crew penalty". I chose double/regular bed, as I rarely have passengers and value the bed space more than interior space. In fact, I am considering removing the rear seats when we get into extended retirement travelling. It's only 6 bolts, IIRC. I haven't weighed them, but that should give me about another 100# of freed up payload, plus quite a bit more locked up storage.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
...and double cab/regular bed gets you about 200# more payload than crew/regular bed. crew/short bed gets you back about 100# of the "crew penalty". I chose double/regular bed, as I rarely have passengers and value the bed space more than interior space. In fact, I am considering removing the rear seats when we get into extended retirement travelling. It's only 6 bolts, IIRC. I haven't weighed them, but that should give me about another 100# of freed up payload, plus quite a bit more locked up storage.
That's the configuration I would go for too. Good idea about seat removal as the only " passengers "back there are our two Sammies.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Food for thought - I wouldn't remove the rear seat unless I really needed the cab volume that would be freed-up. The rear seat is about on the truck's center of gravity so about half of the weight is on the front axle and half is on the rear axle. So if the seat weighs about 80 pounds, that would only remove about 40 pounds off of the rear axle. When towing, even with a properly adjusted weight distribution hitch, the front end will be somewhat lighter than the rear and 40 pounds wont make much difference. The same is true for the rear axle. Even if you're at or a tiny bit above the max rear axle weight, removing the rear seat won't really help very much. Also, when the occasion arises that you do want to offer someone a ride in the back seat, it won't be there when you want it. This is just my two cents!

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Have not done it yet, but had also considered removing the rear seat in my High Country crew cab. I too have two 55 lb dogs. Getting rid of 75-100 lbs weight there may justify carrying my 75 lb Yamaha Genny at the front of the bed. As for passengers, why not use their vehicle? And once you start playing that "its just another 50 lbs" game is a surefire way to get yourself in serious trouble.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And as I said, the seat removal would only be when I am taking all the toys for snow birding, when I need space for the items that need to be out of the weather. A cap or closed tonneau is not possible in that scenario for me, as my scooter would be in the bed. Seat removal wouldn't be a permanent thing.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
You both make good points. I always remove the third seat in our Yukon XL on extended trips. I'd get the towing combination weighed and immediately weigh the truck alone so that you really know where you stand and seat removal may not be necessary based on weight alone.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #218
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
What is the payload of the 2017 GMC Sierra 2500 with maxtow compared to the 2017 Denali Diesel?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
MaxTow isn't applicable to 2500s, only 1500s.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #220
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
MaxTow isn't applicable to 2500s, only 1500s.

Thanks D, not sure why I included that in the question. Was really just trying to determine payload difference between the 2017 2500 Sierra and 2500 Denali Diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Tags