Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Replacement Batteries for TV

What brand of batteries have you had luck using in your diesel TV?

My OEM's are over 5 years old now and I know I'm on borrowed time with them.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have had pretty good luck with Sam's club batteries. I had a pair in my old F-350 and several times I had to crank and crank and crank on them and another time I left the dome light on for a long time and the batteries came back to life after at least 2 weeks of being dead. Most batteries don't tolerate being run down and kept that way. They had 5 years on them when I sold the truck.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've had good luck with the batteries sold at Advance Auto Parts.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
I replaced my original batteries when they were about 5 years old with Motorcraft batteries from a Ford dealer. I was on vacation and the dealer was convenient - the prices weren't bad. Since then, I've replaced them because one failed (batteries were 3 years old). The local Ford dealer adjusted the price for the time and gave me two new batteries although only one went bad - I guess so they would both be the same strength/age. The next batteries for my F250 will be either Sams Club or Walmart. Those stores are everywhere in case I need warranty replacement and I believe there isn't a lot of quality difference out there. There are only a handful of battery manufacturers and they rebadge their products for different retailers. I have used Sams Club batteries in my boat for the past 5 years flawlessly. I had Walmart batteries in my old trailer and they went years without trouble before I sold the trailer.
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just go over to SEARS and get the DieHard Platinum II. They are state-of-the-art re-badged VRLA Odyssey batteries built mil-spec.

This is, literally, the end of this discussion.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Just go over to SEARS and get the DieHard Platinum II. They are state-of-the-art re-badged VRLA Odyssey batteries built mil-spec.

You quack me up! That's a pretty strong recommendation.
I'm heading to Sears later this week to turn in a 'lifetime 'shovel that just died and will need to be replaced too.
While I'm there, I'll have to check out their Platinum Batteries.
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
In Canada we have Motomaster Eliminator's which are from Canadian Tire. Good batteries, long warranties... They are re-badged Space Shuttle batteries built to NASA spec.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Rednax,
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased 2 of those batteries for my TV yesterday. Anyhow, they fit great. These batteries seemed to be a little heavier compared to the old ones I took out. That's a good thing>
Saved $40 dollars by getting them around Labor Day with their on line coupon too!
Thanks for the advice,
Bluto
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Great!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
There are only a few battery manufacturers, it's the manufacturer, not the brand that's important.

I buy only Johnson Controls Batteries, they are supposed to be the best, I don't even look at the brand.

I second the Walmart recomendation, if they say Johnson Controls on the sticker (not the brand). The stores are convenient when you have a break down. Last battery I replaced happened in the Walmart parking lot, luckily they sell tools too.

Battery maintenance on a vehicle is important. My 06 Mustang, 05 Tundra, and my Wife's 07 Pontiac all have the factory Battery. I use a Battery minder when parked for an extended priod of time, don't leave lights on, and let the vehcle run when using any battery power. for example, I never operate the trailer's power jack with the trailer pluged in to the truck unless the truck is running. I also keep a battery minder on the trailer when not in use so that the trailer battery is at full power when I'm towing and the truck is not charging the trailer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote