Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
What engine did you get?
Came with th 3.42 gear ratio 8 speed 5.3l v8 11000 lb towrating with the max trailer package. That comes with extra tranny cooler beefed up suspension, anti sway lane assist, hill assist, tow mirrors with rear spot light and rear camera optional rear trailer camera gmc harnessplug in which I have to ad after market. Rear view camera, navigation integrated trailer brake system with constant Driver information centre monitoring. The new eco engines have the system that uses only pistons that are needed so runs as a 6 or 8 cylinder depending on driving patterns.

I have heard gmc for the gassers and ram for the deisal. I’m not a fan of Ford and I like the quality interior materials of the gmc.

The pic sows my old girl on the left. Other than the rockers she is pristine. Needed a lot of fro t end work and the damn master sensors of this and that.

As we get newer and newer it will all b about the co outer programming. Soon we will be able to reboot and upgrade our own cars like our computers. That will be sweet.

Technology in past decade is simply mind boggling!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
My 5.3 lasted 110,000 miles after I babied her and gave her the best lubrication. The 5.3 has serious AFM issues and the lifters just don't last. Get the extended extended extended warranty....
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
No worries about the 5.3. Mine is still on the road with well over 300,000 miles on it. Always had a piston noise when cold. They are among the best engines you can get.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #24
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
@05ModPod

Congrats on the new TV, but I have but one word of advice for you and your new truck........KROWN IT! Okay, two words.

I have a 2003 Chevy Tracker (along with other vehicles) with no rust; no electrical problems (Krown insulates and seals electrical connections); original brake and fuel lines; original gas tank, filler and sending unit.

Seriously, whenever I have work done to her by a mechanic, I ask for a reduction in the bill as all fasteners and bolts just slide right out and the job takes them less time.

Your very first stop should be a Krown location; worth every penny in less repairs and better resale.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post

The new eco engines have the system that uses only pistons that are needed so runs as a 6 or 8 cylinder depending on driving patterns.

Technology in past decade is simply mind boggling!
You need to read up on VCM problems with Honda products before you get all warm and fuzzy with todays's technology.

Manufacturers don't care about the long term reliability of technology they put into their vehicles these days; it's all about eeking out that last bit of MPG in the EPA cycle. Honda did just that with their Variable Cyclinder Management system, and it required half an engine rebuild to my 3.5L V6 @ 51,000 kms before I bought it. The VCM also plays havoc with driveshaft carrier bearings and active engine mounts (very expensive to fix).

I have actually deativated my VCM in my Honda the week I bought it, giving me a nicer driving truck with better reliability; costing me maybe 1 mpg.

Technology isn't what its all cracked up to be. I hope you research GM forums for possible reliability problems with the system, given GM's history of variable cylinder management systems......Cadillac V8-6-4 of the 80's ring a bell?

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Congratulations, that is definitely a beautiful and comfortable truck. You know that no matter what you ended up with, the sky-is-falling posts were going to happen, while I only had my 2013 Sierra for a 1.5yrs (bought used) I never had an issue and towed for 20,000 miles, even then it had the cylinder cancellation and unless that was the screen I had on you could never tell. I believe if you use tow/haul mode it stops it from engaging anyways. Here's to you having many many miles of hassle free travels..
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Google GM 5.3 AFM issues, DOD issues, visit the SilveradoSierra forum and search AFM. There are thousands of helpful dialogue about cylinder deactivation and the issues with it....at least you will know the pros and cons, my engine replacement cost was 9.5k.
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
You know....no matter what truck make I put in for reviews there where always hundreds of threads with this or that issue. For every truck that had an issue there is 100ís that donít.

But what I like is reading them to understand the symptoms of said issues to have awareness so not to ignore potential signs.

I had the 5.3 Vortec v8 in my previous truck not sure what kind of FUel management system she had but the engine was still running great at 218000klm. Always provided the power I needed on the flats and mountains with no hesitation for my style of driving and towing. The only reason I had to replace the transmission was because a line blew, on a upgrade at 80klm. Trashed the second gear which I understand is planned to save the rest of the tranny. I just had every day maintenance issues and 85% of her use was under tow.

The Krown recommendation is well heard and it is my first stop once I pick her up. I was thinking of the permanent guard but after further reading Iím just not sure. Zeibert offers that product at 499.00 the 65 each year. Is it worth getting the permanent guard or just use the spray that breathes and not locking in moisture if a stone chips it away and letís water in until your next spray?

As for the extra warranty. GM is 5 years 160000 Klm for the engine. I think I would be fine. Three years from now I should know if I have a bum engine if so she gets unloaded on a trade up if need be. Or buy into a plan at that time.

Will be getting service records and may even get the PO contact , have a chat before I pick up the vehicle next week just to be sure.

Most of todayís issues are computer related, right down to those picky sensors. Just like our PCís one works great and the next one gives you grief. All hit and miss. Nothing out there is perfect any more and if it is you have one person who drives a certain way and another that drives the **** out of their vehicles. One maintains the other just runs it into the ground with no attention.

I love the quality of materials in the Sierra. It does not feel or drive like a truck. I like that. If I wanted that robust truck feel I would get the 2500 HD. Some of the trailering improvements I hope will give me more security and ease of operation. But again more technology makes for more things to go wrong.

Only time will tell. But regardless now I can get out there again with something that is not goi g to break apart or body parts falling off lol
Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #29
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post
You know....no matter what truck make I put in for reviews there where always hundreds of threads with this or that issue. For every truck that had an issue there is 100ís that donít.

But what I like is reading them to understand the symptoms of said issues to have awareness so not to ignore potential signs.

The Krown recommendation is well heard and it is my first stop once I pick her up. I was thinking of the permanent guard but after further reading Iím just not sure. Zeibert offers that product at 499.00 the 65 each year. Is it worth getting the permanent guard or just use the spray that breathes and not locking in moisture if a stone chips it away and letís water in until your next spray?
I"m glad that you're researching possible problems associated with your model year. You're right, it may not happen to your truck, BUT, if something should happen, being aware and knowing the resolution BEFORE going to the stealership is critical to your wallet.

Go Krown, it seeps into every little crack or crevice. TIP: wait until the hottest days of summer and Krown the truck again, as the heat will allow the protectant to get into even more areas. Make sure they hit your door handles actuators and linkage and steering column U-joints.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I wasn't trying to be a downer; just trying to make people aware of the information available to them out there on the web.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I just stumbled across this thread. So glad to hear that you decided to go with a younger truck.

I bought a new truck in 08. I felt that the Tundra was head and shoulders better than the competition with the 6 speed transmission, bigger wheels and brakes, a new powerful V8 motor and better back seat interior accommodations. No significant changes in the Tundra since 08 while the competition has passed them in a number of areas.
I still love my Tundra even though it is now 10 years old.

Happy Airstreaming with your new to you GMC truck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Happy!

Just a quick update....

Getting to know the new Sierra running through all the gadgets. Came across the economy readings. Wow!

The PO towed a fifth wheel horse trailer and put a fair number of KLM in 1.5 years from newly bought in sept 2016. Has been on the lot since last sept. They traded for a new 2017.

Their average was 9.2 liter/ 100 klm that equates to 25.5 miles per gallon.
4x4 double cap 5.3L, 3.73, with max trailer package, kodiak edition, navigation, SLE preferred and convenience pkg.

My old 2006 was getting 17.2 litres/ 100 klm equates to 13.84 miles per gallon. 80% towing use I did just under 200,000 KLM

What I will miss from my old gal: sun roof for the dogs, leather seats, ug dog hair on cloth seats(need seat covers now), power folding mirrors, seat memory. But what I gained in toys and convenience in the newer truck certainly will mitigate the losses. I do have the rear sliding window, just need to get the screen aftermarket item installed, along with the window wind deflectors. I also wished my cap fit the new truck, so have another 2k to fork out.

I have other things to sort out. The hitch needs either updating or adjusting as the truck is too high. I need a new longer shank, new ball and change out my worn coupler hardware on the Atwood coupler.

Then the purchase of a new truck bed cap that I can install my kayak rack. Now the truck is higher the cap will be higher as Iím looking at a mid size rather than cap height.

Need a few things sorted on the trailer. Toilet valve, fridge serviced, re- caulking roof, and pulling the vinyl floor and check for any rot and replace flooring. Need to replace the belly pan and pipe hangers along with replacing the tank covers. Got a price on the cover from factory omg. Will be going to my local metal fabricator to get those made for sure.

Just like buying a new house the actual cost is never the final price. Lol. Nothing fits and always nice to upgrade this and that.