Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Refueling TV

What is more popular (practical? convenient? safe?) for refueling the tow vehicle, going through a regular gas station provided there's turning space or using truck stops alongside the big rigs? This is just for a 25' trailer and TV.

Thank you in advance.
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
What is more popular (practical? convenient? safe?) for refueling the tow vehicle, going through a regular gas station provided there's turning space or using truck stops alongside the big rigs? This is just for a 25' trailer and TV.

Thank you in advance.
Personal choice and fuel price usually dictates where you refuel.

Most any modern gas station can handle your rig.

What is far more important, "IS" the height of the gas station canapy or roof.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Some truck stops have RV islands offering both gas and diesel ( Flying J).

Generally the truck only islands at truck stops offer only diesel.

At Flying J usually the RV island will be the same price cash or credit. The truck Islands will charge a 6 to 9 cent premium for credit card use.

If you have a diesel the RV island pumps are usually slower than the big truck pumps, and most RV'ers do NOT practice the common courtesy of pulling forward to make the pump accessible for the next customer when they go inside to pay.

Many also do not know how to work the slave pump so often there is some one coming in against traffic flow.

In addition the credit card limits for pay at the pump are higher at the RV
pumps than the car pumps and higher yet at the truck pumps.

In my case I usually glance at the RV pumps and make a decision which way to go.. At times it is worth a few cents more to get in and out faster.
In my case I carry about 85 gallons and drive a diesel pickup
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We use both depending on availability. Access is the key factor for me. The thing we've learned is to start looking for refuel access when the fuel gauge gets to the 1/4 tank range.

I like pull through access but when it is not available we've pulled in to some tight quarters.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We pull a 25FB with a Suburban (gas) and have traveled extensively. When refueling, I always check out the lay of the land before committing to a pump lane. if a situation looks too tight, I opt for a more RV friendly situation. Using this caution, we have never had a problem.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I Always have a path chosen before I pull on the fuel station, As soon as you see it , scope it out,always have a planned exit !!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I agree with these tips ...

I think it's mostly a matter of planning. I like places like Flying J or Petro truck stops, because they've also got "stuff" inside I might need, like a spare fuse or food, etc., and because they've usually got long-handled windshield scrubber / squeegee intended for semi use, that lets me reach all of my windshield. But:

- no matter what sort of station, I slow WAY down before entering, and scope the place out carefully before pulling in ... where is the diesel island? which side is the fuel hose on? can I get out again? how crowded? how low IS that island roof?

- then I EASE into the place, in order to avoid trailer rear-end drag, and to give me time to keep scoping as I pull in and alongside the diesel pump, etc.

- when I'm done fueling, I try to pull away and park somewhere, so as not to tie up the very pump you or others might need / want.

- I EASE back out onto the road again, so that there's no drag on exit either!

Only once have I had to back out of a fuel spot, and that was because it was a smaller station, and while I was fueling, a fuel tanker pulled in and stopped right in front of me (and others) and then started delivering fuel. I guess I coulda' waited a half hour, but I didn't, and no harm ensued. I had DW as spotter, and was careful, but I didn't like it.

So: find larger places to refuel, pull in and out slowly, and make sure you have an "out" before you get too far "in" and you'll be fine.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Many also do not know how to work the slave pump so often there is some one coming in against traffic flow.
.................................................. ..........................
I learned about slave pumps by chance.
I pulled into a truck Island the right way by chance. Started pumping and was about 1/2 done when a guy pulled into the lane next to me in another TT. He started pumping and my flow rate dropped way down. I thought it was unusual, but not much more. It wasn't until I went in to pay and found a total of about 15 gallons more than my truck would hold, that I learned about slave pumps. Luckily he just as dumb as me, rather than a clever thief. So he came in shortly and we divided the bill as best we could figure out.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post

Thank you in advance.
your lp tanks should be turned off also the ignition for the devices using gas.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote