Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you install a rear view camera on the SUV for towing, realize all you'll see is the front of the trailer.
To see behind the trailer, as many suggest, you need a camera on the trailer, wireless to the SUV.

There are times when I use the rear camera on the tow vehicle, namely when negotiating a tight turn, I'll stop, put it in "R" and see how close I am to crunching something expensive.

BTW, will the extendable mirrors from a Ford PU fit on the Navigator?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Spring , Texas
You can adjust the rear camera to raise it beyond the dimples the mount provides. Works well. Just check the tightness of the screws occasionally. Maybe some blue loctite for extra security.
StanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Short answer is: Yes it will give you the view of the road behind the AS. We have a Haloview reverse view camera on our Int'l 25 which views about 5' rear of the bumper to Infinity. However, this does not solve the "Blind Spot" issue ... that is without mirror extension on your TV you will not see what is beside the AS also there is a slight delay from the camera (no matter what people say there is a 1-2 second delay between camera to monitor)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not over analysis - towing is a "full attention span' task. You need complete situational awareness. The right mirrors and a camera give you the images you need to achieve that objective. As you gain towing experience it all gets easier.

You really have the right idea. Good mirrors provide best image far away and as vehicles pass out of the camera view. The camera fills in the blind spot behind. Helps a lot in bumper to bumper traffic.

There is a difference in perspective between the "objects seem farther away" mirror and the perspective of the camera that may not be best for distance judgement. But it does not take long to assimilate the differences.

Additionally, the camera monitor is in the center of the dash, about where the internal rear view mirror would be. That helps, because you are used to using a mirror there. However, you can not stay fixated on any image. You must develop the ability to catch and process the images as you scan forward, left, right, to rear and back forward every 7 seconds or so.

My sincere apology if this is too much. I got schooling from several RVers when I first started towing regularly. The best info came from a trucker who really understood what was required. It took awhile to figure it all out and they helped me a lot. The key here is to proceed with care and test, test, test to determine what works for you.

Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I had a 2013 Ford Expedition and used a couple of the mirrors mentioned. I found them less than ideal but better than a blind spot. Maybe with the advent of 3D printing you could find someone willing to make you an adapter plate so one of these Trail Ridge mirrors could be cleanly mounted?

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-expediti...SABEgJ9E_D_BwE

I finally solved my mirror issues and it only cost $53,000 (2018 Ford F-250).

Good luck!
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Short answer is: Yes it will give you the view of the road behind the AS. We have a Haloview reverse view camera on our Int'l 25 which views about 5' rear of the bumper to Infinity. However, this does not solve the "Blind Spot" issue ... that is without mirror extension on your TV you will not see what is beside the AS also there is a slight delay from the camera (no matter what people say there is a 1-2 second delay between camera to monitor)
I actually see what is beside the trailer pretty well with the TV mirrors. It is more the fast moving vehicle approaching from far back that I would like to see better.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
I had a 2013 Ford Expedition and used a couple of the mirrors mentioned. I found them less than ideal but better than a blind spot. Maybe with the advent of 3D printing you could find someone willing to make you an adapter plate so one of these Trail Ridge mirrors could be cleanly mounted?

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-expediti...SABEgJ9E_D_BwE

I finally solved my mirror issues and it only cost $53,000 (2018 Ford F-250).

Good luck!
There are cameras in the newer mirrors that help provide a 360 degree overhead view. Would not want to give that up. I have already figured out that there isn't a huge market for Lincoln towing accessories. I am amused you found those mirrors.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanA View Post
You can adjust the rear camera to raise it beyond the dimples the mount provides. Works well. Just check the tightness of the screws occasionally. Maybe some blue loctite for extra security.
The camera bracket has two slots in arcs on each side that that allow for the vertical adjustment with lockdown screws. Are you saying you remove the lower screws and hold the camera in an aimed higher position with the two upper screws?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Not over analysis - towing is a "full attention span' task. You need complete situational awareness. The right mirrors and a camera give you the images you need to achieve that objective. As you gain towing experience it all gets easier.

You really have the right idea. Good mirrors provide best image far away and as vehicles pass out of the camera view. The camera fills in the blind spot behind. Helps a lot in bumper to bumper traffic.

There is a difference in perspective between the "objects seem farther away" mirror and the perspective of the camera that may not be best for distance judgement. But it does not take long to assimilate the differences.

Additionally, the camera monitor is in the center of the dash, about where the internal rear view mirror would be. That helps, because you are used to using a mirror there. However, you can not stay fixated on any image. You must develop the ability to catch and process the images as you scan forward, left, right, to rear and back forward every 7 seconds or so.

My sincere apology if this is too much. I got schooling from several RVers when I first started towing regularly. The best info came from a trucker who really understood what was required. It took awhile to figure it all out and they helped me a lot. The key here is to proceed with care and test, test, test to determine what works for you.

Good luck. Pat
Thanks for your comments, Pat.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
The rear-view camera on my 2019 Expedition (close cousin) works only when the car is in reverse.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #31

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Tyrone , Georgia
To answer your question directly. Yes,I have done exactly what you are asking. We have a Navigator and 2018 fc20fb. It came with a voyager rear view camera. I adjusted it upward and use the same as a rear view mirror. Works for me.
ASNavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I actually see what is beside the trailer pretty well with the TV mirrors. It is more the fast moving vehicle approaching from far back that I would like to see better.
Unfortunately, the rear view cameras are very wide angle, so vehicles approaching go from a "speck" to "alongside" pretty quickly.
Yes, all wireless cameras have a digital delay or "lag". I estimate it to be 15' at 65 mph. Obviously, at backing speed, it's not noticeable.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASNavi View Post
To answer your question directly. Yes,I have done exactly what you are asking. We have a Navigator and 2018 fc20fb. It came with a voyager rear view camera. I adjusted it upward and use the same as a rear view mirror. Works for me.
No camera bracket modification needed? If so, your bracket must be placed differently to mine.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Unfortunately, the rear view cameras are very wide angle, so vehicles approaching go from a "speck" to "alongside" pretty quickly.
Yes, all wireless cameras have a digital delay or "lag". I estimate it to be 15' at 65 mph. Obviously, at backing speed, it's not noticeable.
I have noticed this. I am not looking for the camera to give me precise information. I can see well enough with the TV mirrors for lane changes and on ramps. I just need a way to point the camera up more so that I can try it to add to situational awareness.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
The rear-view camera on my 2019 Expedition (close cousin) works only when the car is in reverse.
Thanks. Ours is the same. I am trying to repurpose the trailer backup camera into a see behind the trailer camera while driving. As it is, it cannot be adjusted high enough to work for that purpose.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
We have a 2018 Navigator and just bought a 2019 25RBT. Being a SUV, there are no extendable mirrors available for it and the strap on mirrors I bought vibrate so much, they are not a good solution. I am thinking about modding the back up camera to point up more. Has anyone done this? I know there are door mounted McKesh mirrors which would be a solution, but I am thinking the camera would be a good alternative if I could get it to point in the right direction.
I realize just now that I confused everyone reading this question. I meant to say that I was looking for a mod for the trailer back up camera mount, not the TV back up camera. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Maybe your problem is the height at which the camera is mounted?

Ours is high enough that it works well for rear view while driving to supplement our Aero mirrors. I don't have a pic handy but it's between the "Airstream" logo and closer to the clearance lights.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
Maybe your problem is the height at which the camera is mounted?

Ours is high enough that it works well for rear view while driving to supplement our Aero mirrors. I don't have a pic handy but it's between the "Airstream" logo and closer to the clearance lights.
You're definitely right. Ours is closer to the logo. It would work if it were higher, but the factory mount is where it is and does not look easy to move. I need to do something without moving the mount. Just not sure what.

So, yours is pointed more behind you and you find it useful, correct? Can you see your bumper and, if not, does it matter when you are backing?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Thanks. Ours is the same. I am trying to repurpose the trailer backup camera into a see behind the trailer camera while driving. As it is, it cannot be adjusted high enough to work for that purpose.
Ha! Sorry for the confusion.

I misunderstood the question.

My trailer doesn't have a rear-view camera, but I hope to add one once wireless stuff gets stronger (and cheaper).
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's where my camera lives.

Inside and out of the weather.