Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
But we don’t get to decide to follow just the rules that appeal to us. “Do as you wish” is a good motto for choosing an afternoon activity. Less so for deciding to flaunt laws
Actually people only want their favorite laws enforced. I know rabid environmentalists who speed and run red lights. If I suggested automated enforcement and red light cameras they’d have me declared insane. Red light runners kill people daily in Detroit. So Adiredneck can put his EGR back on, and you get a transponder. Fair enough?

Go into limp mode on the wrong street around here at the wrong time and you might not make it home at all. No thanks.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #102
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Actually people only want their favorite laws enforced. I know rabid environmentalists who speed and run red lights. If I suggested automated enforcement and red light cameras they’d have me declared insane. Red light runners kill people daily in Detroit. So Adiredneck can put his EGR back on, and you get a transponder. Fair enough?
I don’t know about transponders, we don’t use them, but we have a red light camera program that is being expanded. The intersection cameras also measure speed. Bring it on, and let’s make the roads safer.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
I don’t know about transponders, we don’t use them, but we have a red light camera program that is being expanded. The intersection cameras also measure speed. Bring it on, and let’s make the roads safer.
We had a red lite camera program in my state and it was a disaster. What happens is, once people realize there is a camera there, they slam on the brakes the instant the light turns yellow, causing the cars behind them to crash into them. After about a year they had to end the program for safety reasons. The program had nothing to do with safety. It was all about revenue collection.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #104
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
We had a red lite camera program in my state and it was a disaster. What happens is, once people realize there is a camera there, they slam on the brakes the instant the light turns yellow, causing the cars behind them to crash into them. After about a year they had to end the program for safety reasons. The program had nothing to do with safety. It was all about revenue collection.
Something must be different about your local implementation. We have had them for over 8 years.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Something must be different about your local implementation. We have had them for over 8 years.
The other thing that happened was, the local police, who were sharing the revenue with the state, would adjust the traffic lite timers to reduce the amber lite time in an attempt to catch more violators, causing more accidents and making the problem much worse.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #106
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
The other thing that happened was, the local police, who were sharing the revenue with the state, would adjust the traffic lite timers to reduce the amber lite time in an attempt to catch more violators, causing more accidents and making the problem much worse.
Sounds like red light cameras weren't a disaster, rather that arbitrarily adjusting traffic signal timing was a disaster.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In California the courts basically quit enforcing red light cameras for all of the above-stated reasons. It was a revenue scam, pure and simple, and was really difficult to prosecute, then add in the “short yellow” that cities got nailed on. The other thing is the companies that owned and provided the cameras charged huge fees for the system, maintenance, support, and ticket writing. I go to where it cost more than the few fines they were collecting, and most cities in CA got rid of them. And no, it didn’t improve safety worth a darn, either.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quote:
The "just say no" applied to whether to purchase one, not to deciding whether to pollute ten or more times the legal limit.

It sounds like you regret your purchase decision. That is unfortunate.

If someone robs a bank, they are usually called a bank robber. I have never heard them referred to as someone who simply ceased being poor.

I don't regret the purchase at all - now that I've fixed what was done incorrectly and arbitrarily in the first place. As you said, I don't care to be a "beta tester"; when they come out with a well-engineered system and reasonable criteria for crippling my truck I might be tempted to trading up. In the meantime, I've prevented them from crippling my current ride.

As far as your "selective enforcement" and "selectively abiding" of U.S. Federal law, happens all the time by states, never mind individuals. Marijuana is still illegal to use, sell or possess, under Federal law - yet it is fully legal in 10 states and the District of Columbia, decriminalized in two dozen more. How about our "sanctuary states" and "sanctuary cities" that choose to ignore Federal immigration laws and shelter illegals? List goes on and on. As long as these states and their governments and people consider Federal law a cafeteria plan, I'm only a minor scofflaw, at best.

And, all in all; my lifestyle, career and choices were and are pretty green. If you can look in the mirror and say the same thing - more power to you. I just hope you don't get a nosebleed from the altitude of your moral high ground.

As for people who rob banks; if they steal hundreds, we *do* call them bank robbers. If they steal billions, we call them financiers...

See you down the road...
Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #109
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Don’t allow third party contract cameras, only state or provincially operated ones. Revenues to traffic safety, not profiteers.
Only install them at intersections with high crash incidences.
Change the motor vehicle act to make it an offence to own a vehicle involved in these infractions. No need to identify, or debate, the identity of the driver. Penalize the vehicle owner. Side issue is that these offences don’t attract points on licenses.
Track crash rates before and after camera activation, to demonstrate efficacy.
Publish maps of where the cameras are installed. No surprises.
Erect signs at every intersection with cameras. No surprises.

The above builds public acceptance. A recent non government poll here showed 70% support, including for activating the speed measurement functionality that the cameras have built in.

The goal has to be improved road safety and fewer deaths, not revenue collection.

I submit that the cameras themselves aren’t the issue, it has been more the implementation of them.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
Quick side note for those reading through this thread and considering the tune option to modify their new diesels... you might want to avoid buying any new models until they have been on the market and tuned successfully for a while. While I am not a diesel mechanic I do know a thing or two about computer security and the major manufacturers are on the road towards fully locked down systems that will prevent any unauthorized code from running.

It may not happen with this years model or the next but it is coming with a certainty. You can already see the substantial difficulties aftermarket is having with the new GM 2019 half ton computers. Expect the same with the 2020 HD models including the new Duramax.

In short the software will eventually lock you out of a truck with a malfunctioning emissions system as surely as if they physically took the keys and steering wheel away.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
That’s because people follow too closely and try to run the red light. It has nothing to do with the safety of cameras. Everyone who gets a red light camera ticket has an excuse just like they do when we pull them over and ticket them. Rear end me at a traffic light and the dashcam (front and rear) will tell the tale.

My point is, if you want strict enforcement of emissions laws you better accept strict enforcement of ALL laws, not just your favorites. People who complain about diesel smoke also protest that radar speed enforcement is “unfair”.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
In California the courts basically quit enforcing red light cameras for all of the above-stated reasons. It was a revenue scam, pure and simple, and was really difficult to prosecute, then add in the “short yellow” that cities got nailed on. The other thing is the companies that owned and provided the cameras charged huge fees for the system, maintenance, support, and ticket writing. I go to where it cost more than the few fines they were collecting, and most cities in CA got rid of them. And no, it didn’t improve safety worth a darn, either.
The red lite camera program is rooted in government corruption. I first observed the problem in Mexico City years ago. They didn't have cameras but they had cops waiting at the other side of the intersection who would pull you over and demand 50 pesos cash. People just paid it and drove on to the next lite where there was another cop waiting. It could get expensive. As a pedestrian it was difficult to walk across the street because the crosswalks were always blocked by cars stopping at the last second to avoid getting caught in the intersection when the light went from green yellow red in an instant. As citizens we should all be wary about government corruption and fight it vigorously.

What finally killed the red lite camera program was people would go to court and plead not guilty. The cost of paying overtime to have a cop there as a witness made the program unprofitable as more and more people became outraged and went to court.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #113
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
The red lite camera program is rooted in government corruption....
Implementation issues. See the list of actions above that address your concerns. If the root of your issues is rampant government corruption, fine, but what made them non corrupt when the red light cameras were removed? Just doesn’t sound like a camera issue.

And what is a red lite? Is it some form of diet traffic signal?
Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Lol talk about thread drift. Everyone is helping me make my point by pointing out what happens when poor put-upon motorists are forced to obey traffic laws. Somehow collecting billions in emission fines is cool but God forbid anyone is forced to obey a traffic signal.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Anyone who is surprised that the government-mandated “fix” for diesel emissions seriously messed up the FUNCTIONALITY of the trucks should just recall how they “improved” gas cans.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My truck has been flawless for 45000 miles. Emissions are intact. I guess I'm lucky.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
If you live in northern climates where the temperature can go below freezing, avoid filling the DEF tank full. The DEF fluid takes some time to warm up and is not effective. The less there is to heat up, the better. My message from the Canadian dealer was to fill to no more than 60% and it will avoid another issue. But, my sensor dig go. And I traded the truck in on a new Ram 1500 gasser, and now i have ordered a 2021 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. I have learned a few lessons.
Danishgod is offline   Reply With Quote