Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quadrasteer

Does any one out there have a quadrasteer system on their tow vehicle. I have heard about the low speed advantages , but just read about the high speed advantages. Have been to the Delphi web site to learn as much as possible, but would love to hear from any one with "real world" experience.

Thanks,
Abe

aka vajeep
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I Do. I've had my truck since summer 2001.

My opinion: I will NEVER EVER be without quadrasteer. Just around town, it makes a huge difference, like in u-turns. U-turns I wouldn't even attempt in my old truck are no problem with quadrasteer.

As for pulling the trailer, there is no comparison. The the rig moves as one unit when changing lanes and going around curves. And no cutting corners when turning. In short, I will never own a truck again that doesn't have 4 wheel steering. Try it, you'll like it.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Glad to hear it. We are almost ready to order a 2500 'Burb. I thought I was all set until I spoke with an existing owner that also loves his burb with Quadrasteer. Can you add any information about the anti-sway advantages that they talk about?

Thanks,

Abe
Old 02-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
All I can say about sway is I have NEVER felt it towing my 25' Safari. To this day, I don't know what a sway attack feels like. I have even tried to experience sway by leaving off my anti-sway bar once but I still never felt it. Trucks go swishing right by without any notice from me and cross winds might push the whole rig but never caused sway.

But with my new 30' Classic, I've decided not to take any chances with the longer and heavier trailer, I ordered the Hensley hitch. Between the quadrasteer and the Hensley, I'm hoping for continued easy towing with the new coach.

Come rally with us.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I have Quadrasteer and really think that it's a wonderful feature. The turning radius is incredible and although, I never tried towing a trailer without using it, I would not like to be without it.

For what it costs now, I don't think you'd ever regret purchasing a vehicle with it.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I too have a quadrasteer Truck and will never have anything else. I had an extended cab Chevy first w/o Quad and now have a four door HD. Both are great but the new one handles like a Honda. As far as towing goes I have only towed boats with both and the difference is huge. Pulling into a boat ramp is very easy now. In pulling my 26 foot single axle Airstream I have never felt any sway even with a full load and my full loads are very heavy.

Steve
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I also am interested in Quadrasteer, but from a professional standpoint. Does anyone yet have 100,000 miles on their truck with Quadrasteer? Have you had to have any repairs done? If so, what type, and were you happy with the repair, or did it have to go back again for re-repair, or adjustment?
Thanks.
Terry
Old 02-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Check out this site

http://www.quadrasteerclub.com/
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
That is a GREAT site! I have seen it once before but forgot about it. Really explains how it works.

As for reliability, I can only wonder about 5 years down the line. But Delphi tested, retested, and tested again on every kind of ground for years. I read in an article researching quadrasteer before purchase that Delphi really did excellent field testing. I hope so!

Come rally with us.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
That is a GREAT site! I have seen it once before but forgot about it. Really explains how it works.

As for reliability, I can only wonder about 5 years down the line. But Delphi tested, retested, and tested again on every kind of ground for years. I read in an article researching quadrasteer before purchase that Delphi really did excellent field testing. I hope so!
Since I am the poor sap that gets stuck with fixing this stuff when it goes out of warranty, I wanted to know what I could look forward to.
Terry
Old 02-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

I had the same question about reliability when I purchased my truck. I spoke with some GMC mechanics who were very familiar with the system and was told that although it has been very reliable and they haven't seen any major problems, having Quadrasteer adds some other pieces to the puzzle so to speak that could fail over the long term.

I ended up purchasing the GM extended warranty 6 year / 100,000 for $1,200. With 60 month financing at 0%, I figured an extra $20 a month was a small price to pay to not only cover Quadrasteer but the entire truck.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by joshua32064
I ended up purchasing the GM extended warranty 6 year / 100,000 for $1,200. With 60 month financing at 0%, I figured an extra $20 a month was a small price to pay to not only cover Quadrasteer but the entire truck.
Yea Josh,

That sounds like a good idea. GM will offer me that extended warranty when my factory warranty expires. I think I will take it too.

Come rally with us.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Check out this site
http://www.quadrasteerclub.com/

Aaaaaaaaaah, another site using an Airstream in their ad

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks all...
I have scheduled a test drive today. My local Chevorlet dealer has a 2500 hd truck w/q-s. Too bad I do not have our trailer yet, we could test the back up features. I have to admit I only thought that Q/S was for backing up until I read the delphi site. Will be sure to ask about 100,000+ miles and any other long term concerns.

Abe
Old 02-12-2004, 06:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinky

Aaaaaaaaaah, another site using an Airstream in their ad [/B]
Bill,

I don't know if it was the "chicken or the egg" That photo of the 2500 Suburban backing with the Airstream is a full page spread in the current Chevorlet Suburban information booklet. Any guess to which Airstream they are attached to??
Abe
Old 02-12-2004, 07:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Not sure....However, the blue stripe and window skylight should be a hint. Anyone recognize which model it is?

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
WOW!!!

Just Back from the test drive. Quadrasteer is a home run!!! I was sold before I was out of the dealer's lot. It will take a few days for my brain to adjust to the way the steering works, but it makes a full size truck turn tighter than my Jeep Grand. I am with you all that after driving with Quadrasteer there is no going bacK!!!!!!!
ps I asked the owner of the Richmond Chevorlet dealer about the possibility of a Duramax/Allison combo in the Suburban and he said that question was asked at a national meeting and the answer was not in the near future.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Abe,

It won't take long to get use to it, I guarantee it! Soon you will forget it's there. And wait til you tow! Enjoy your new 'Burb!

Come rally with us.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Big Dee,
I will always remember you because you gave me the "go ahead" to give it a try!!! These next few months will seem to drag on. We put a deposit on a vintage trailer last week. We are about 7 months out on delivery. (Cool couple that re-stores vintage to your specs while keeping it as original as possible, but this is a whole different thread) And the Burb is a 12 week build out so I am waiting till the trailer is closer to finished...Hope we meet at a rally
Old 02-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by vajeep
We put a deposit on a vintage trailer last week. We are about 7 months out on delivery. (Cool couple that re-stores vintage to your specs while keeping it as original as possible, but this is a whole different thread)
Abe,

That sounds really cool! Did you "order" a vintage restored to your specs or was it already in the pipeline? So it's like getting a brand new vintage trailer? That's cool!

I can't wait to meet EVERYONE that is on this forum aat a rally someday. That will be my life goal! But we will need to post our forum names on our trailers so we know who's who.

Come rally with us.