Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee

Abe,

That sounds really cool! Did you "order" a vintage restored to your specs or was it already in the pipeline? So it's like getting a brand new vintage trailer? That's cool!

I can't wait to meet EVERYONE that is on this forum aat a rally someday. That will be my life goal! But we will need to post our forum names on our trailers so we know who's who.
Florida Rally starts Wednesday, if you hurry, you can make it...
Terry
Old 02-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Dee, Josh and Steve,
Do you ever drive with the 2 wheel setting rather than 4? I would think that after getting used to the 4 wheel setting that you would just leave it in 4.
As for the Burb, 12 weeks for the build date after the deposit. It takes longer for the quadrsteer option, but not a problem
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I never take it out of 4WS. One time it was in 2WS and I kept going over curbs when pulling out. I was getting mad at myself for poor driving then I noticed I wasn't in 4WS. Once you get used to it, you can't drive without it (literaly)!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

The only time I ever turn it off is when I lend it to a friend. I fear that they may turn the rear into another car while parking.

Steve
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #25
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
same direction

we have a grove 40 ton crane at work that can "crab" meaning you can get all 4 wheels going in the same direction.

i wonder how long it will take some enterprising person to fool a quadra steer into doing that?

would be cool for parallel parking!

john
Old 02-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
Turn it off when you go in the car wash or you will be washing it sideways.
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
John,

With beer anyting is possible.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2 Wheel vs 4 Wheel

I have taken my truck out of 4 wheel steering only one time. I wanted to see what type of difference the Quadrasteer made in a parking lot. The difference was amazing. I don't see why anyone would drive with it in the 2 wheel steering mode.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
On order!

Did the paperwork to order the 2500 Suburban with Quadrasteer!! This forum was a great help!! Thanks all who hepled with the tow questions!!!
The Q-steer seems to be a great safety feature. Will have to wait approx 12 weeks for build out. Should be delivered some time in May
Abe
Old 02-19-2004, 06:48 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
In the meantime, you can work on changing from VAJEEP to VAGMC
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
? for a rivet master

Good point,
Does any rivet master out there know if it is posible to change names or would you have to start over?? But I do like the sound of vagmc! And since the Jeep is almost paid off I hope to use that for the daily driver and only use the Burb for trips and towing..

Abe
Old 02-19-2004, 09:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Congrats Abe! Your going to enjoy this truck, no doubt about it. Suburban with Quadrasterr = Happiness

Did you get a Chevy or GMC?

Come rally with us.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
Congrats Abe! Your going to enjoy this truck, no doubt about it. Suburban with Quadrasterr = Happiness

Did you get a Chevy or GMC?
Big Dee,
Went with the Chevorlet. Even the dealer told me that they were made on the same assembly line. The Chevorlet dealer was less than a mile from our house...Plus 5 years at 0% interest!!!
Dee, I have read some where that you have to be very careful with backing with Quadrasteer and a "anti sway" hitch?... It appears that with Q/S the tow vehicle will turn sharp enough to hurt the "anti sway" hitch. I understand that you have ordered the H/A for your set up. Would like to know what they say.
Soon to be Q/S
Abe
Old 02-22-2004, 11:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I never had a problem backing up with a W/D hitch but I always took off the friction sway bar. I always wondered if i could touch truck with trailer in a severe jacknife situation but never happened.

As for Hensley, I asked specifically about QS with the Hensley. The tech said "no problem" and they sold many Hensley's to QS customers. I can tell you there was no problem in my first trip. So far so good!

Come rally with us.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Dee,
Have you had a chance to pull with your H/A yet? Will be interested to hear how it works with the Q-Steer.
Last word was early May on the 'Burb
I did not realize until I read your post that Q-Steer was not an option with the 8100 motor.
Will have photos of our coach soon...
Abe
Old 03-11-2004, 01:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Abe,

Yea, had a nice test trip with it. It towed great. It felt weird backing up though. The HA pivots to different points when backing so there is a little bumb when turning. Also, it feels different backing up then ball hitch. But I can get used to it. I am curious how it will feel on the big NW trip this summer. I'll let you know. Still worried about difficult hitch ups.

Come rally with us.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Are there any special issues involving rear wheel alignment with the Quadrasteer?
ITowSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:09 PM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Davis
Are there any special issues involving rear wheel alignment with the Quadrasteer?
Generally it is similar to a four-wheel alignment on a front wheel drive car, say a Cadillac Deville. They have ball joints and tie-rod ends too, the only thing different would be they actually have a steering gear to adjust, also. When spec's are published this year for the aftermarket, we should know more about procedures.
Terry
Old 03-16-2004, 05:26 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Dee
[B]

Abe,

That sounds really cool! Did you "order" a vintage restored to your specs or was it already in the pipeline? So it's like getting a brand new vintage trailer? That's cool!]

Dee,
We did order vintage. We had been looking at several different options, made a visit to the only A/S dealer in Virginia. Which happens to be a car dealership that has the ability to sell A/S. Just did not get that "warm fuzzy" feeling. We had decided that new might be too much and were looking at used, when we heard about the couple that we ordere ours from.

They are located near Charlottesville VA and work ful time restoring trailers. Mostly Airstream, but not 100%. We liked them from our very first visit.
The have a total of 4 employees. They do a frame up resto that takes on average 2 months. We have 2-3 trailers in front of us so we will be ready by October.
They are a really cool people. They do not advertise in any way and don't want to. They only work on units that they have restored and just don't have time to answer questions from strangers on how to fix this and that...
They are very active in the WBCCI and speak at rallies on different topics.
I will hopefully document the restoration with photos. I have our first photo posted. I am not sure how to store it in photo gallery yet, but if you search under my user name "vajeep' it is posted under "our first photo of our 1976 Overlander"
Abe
Old 03-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Abe,

I found your pics just by clicking on the "photos" button below your post. Your trailer looks great already. I can't wait to see what it looks like when they are done in October. Sounds like you found a cool little outfit. It going to be a long wait though, huh?

Come rally with us.