Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Proper Trailer Loading Question

Washing my trailer the day I happened to pause at the manufacturer's weight sticker. Trailer is a 2013 27FB. I noticed the GVWR is 7,600 lbs, which I remembered. I also noticed each axle has a GAWR of 3,800 lbs. My first thought was, that makes sense 3,800 x 2 = 7,600, the GVWR. But then I thought, what about the tongue weight? That's carried by the truck. I had sometime earlier weighed it at about 950 lbs.

So my question to all you trailer weight and loading experts is.... Is tongue weight part of the trailer GVWR?

As an added point, today I weighed the truck and trailer at a CAT scale. Weight distribution hitch still in place and trailer loaded for camping, the trailer axle weighed 6,560 lbs. Both truck axles between 200 & 300 lbs under their respective axle ratings per sticker on door jam so that's good news

So if trailer axle is 6,560 lbs and tongue is 950 lbs, then is the trailer at near max GVWR, or well under? Appreciate your thoughts.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The trailer GVWR is the rating for the whole trailer, axles and tongue all together.

So your trailer is close to its GVWR. And your axles will be well under their axle weight rating unless your trailer is loaded well over its GVWR.

One other thing to know is that when you have your WD bars hooked up, some of the trailer tongue weight is transferred to the trailer axles. On my 25FB, that has been around 15%.

Oh, and I read somewhere on the interwebs that our Dexter axles ride smoother when they are partially loaded than when they are near their limit.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
From a vibration, stiffness and smoothness standpoint the Dexter axles perform best when near their rated load. This is by design so it is not true for all axle designs. The Brakes also perform best near rated axle load. FYI, depending on WD tension and tow vehicle geometry, an amount between 10 and 35% of the tongue weight will be redistributed from the tow vehicle rear axle to the trailer axles with WD set properly. Optimal WD settings are specific to the combination.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
👍

Our #'s from a trip last Season, before our 4000lb axle up grade, (3500 OEM).

Bob
🇺🇸
760lb off the TV front axle with no WD and a loaded for camping rig.
560lb returned to the FA with WD set, 200lb light
AS axles 7480lb with no WD, 7640lb with WD, 160lb moved to the AS axles.
560+160=720lb total weight moved,
TV rear axle +920lb with WD set