Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #1361
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Tom, thank you for the super informative and insightful post.

You are correct -- this will be my first time towing, and I'm not taking it lightly. I have considered going for CDL lessons (but I don't think it ends up being practical), looking at various youtube videos, have also planned to do the empty parking lot towing/backing in/etc practice. I am however open to any courses (electronic or in-person) that you or the community may suggest.

I will reach out to Andy again -- I had previously contacted him about towing with a Q5 I had in the past, however now since the Airstream is ordered, it is more imminent for me I'm all vaccinated, so a weekend trip to London wouldn't be bad, to get my SQ7 (when it arrives) all sorted for towing.

To be quite honest, with your vehicle recommendations I got a bit lost... I'd been under the impression that hybrids aren't great for towing, since once you lose that EV charge, you're just lugging around extra weight. So would your recommendation be to ditch the SQ7 and go for a Porsche e-hybrid? I won't commit to acting on it, but would be good to know what others think.

Thanks for the note about the Hensley Cub -- would having both physical and electronic sway control be overdoing it? The service tech at Colonial Airstream is doing some research into what the ideal combination would be for the SQ7 + International 23FB in terms of stability. I graciously accept your point about the RV dealer being happy to sell me anything, so also want to see what the community has to say -- is Physical + Electronic sway control > Physical alone?

Appreciate all of your well thought out and posted feedback! Curious about what your tow vehicle and trailer are. What are your experiences?
supziez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #1362
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by supziez View Post

You are correct -- this will be my first time towing, and I'm not taking it lightly. I have considered going for CDL lessons (but I don't think it ends up being practical), looking at various youtube videos, have also planned to do the empty parking lot towing/backing in/etc practice. I am however open to any courses (electronic or in-person) that you or the community may suggest.

I will reach out to Andy again -- I had previously contacted him about towing with a Q5 I had in the past, however now since the Airstream is ordered, it is more imminent for me I'm all vaccinated, so a weekend trip to London wouldn't be bad, to get my SQ7 (when it arrives) all sorted for towing.

To be quite honest, with your vehicle recommendations I got a bit lost... I'd been under the impression that hybrids aren't great for towing, since once you lose that EV charge, you're just lugging around extra weight. So would your recommendation be to ditch the SQ7 and go for a Porsche e-hybrid? I won't commit to acting on it, but would be good to know what others think.

Thanks for the note about the Hensley Cub -- would having both physical and electronic sway control be overdoing it? The service tech at Colonial Airstream is doing some research into what the ideal combination would be for the SQ7 + International 23FB in terms of stability. I graciously accept your point about the RV dealer being happy to sell me anything, so also want to see what the community has to say -- is Physical + Electronic sway control > Physical alone?

Appreciate all of your well thought out and posted feedback! Curious about what your tow vehicle and trailer are. What are your experiences?
Supz -

I didn't mean CDL commercial truck driver lessons, but the lessons that Good Sam & the RV associations etc. put on for trailer & RV owners. I recently saw an email from Good Sam about their currently COVID-online ones - but in the past & when they come back whenever deemed safe with COVID recovery, they'll have them around the country in-person again.

If the RV association one comes near you, then they had portable scales for folks to weigh their trailers & rigs at the event, & will hopefully do so again post COVID.

I think that the US-Canada border is still closed & don't know when Macron et al will reopen them, so several folks on here are planning trips to Andy post reopening. Check when they reopen the border whenever you know your timing for the AS+SQ7 being in hand, but get his WD/AS hitch reccos below.

BTW - your Q5 would've been great with anything within its 4500+/- lb rating, as is the similar Macan, such as the 16', 19' & 22' AS Bambi & sport lighter weight models. There are several members on here towing with them, but folks wanting bigger & heavier rigs need to upsize their TV.

Most people on here are towing with both WD/AS hitches & TVs with the "electronic AS" (eAS) - as we do with the F150/250 & RAM 2500 pick-ups with the built-in eAS that we've been renting a few times a year from Enterprise Truck Rentals since 2012.

However, the built-in eAS is basically opposite side braking to counter sway after it's sensed - which means it's already started, whereas the mechanical AS on the hitches either counter sway before & as it starts - either with friction or torsion bars with most all WD/AS hitches like EAZ, Equalizer, Blue Ox, etc. So the combination of eAS & mAS doesn't counter nor conflict with each other, but rather compliment & build upon each other's capabilities to stop/counter sway.

Whereas, the hitch geometry of the "Pivot Point Projection" (PPP) hitches from Hensley & ProPride prevent sway from happening at all, by keeping the trailer in line with the TV & shifting still tracking in a straight line with the TV to L & R with any side-forces (wind, 18-wheeler, etc.), & is prevented from pivoting on the ball/coupler unless & until induced to do so by the TV turning in forward or reverse. Ergo, it too doesn't conflict with eAS, & the latter compliments it if/when necessary.

The Hensley Arrow & ProPride are both heavier duty WD/AS hitches for trailers up to 10,000 lbs GTW (maybe 14,000# with PP ?), while the Hensley Cub is slightly lighter duty for trailers up to 6000# GTW with all the same parts & functionality. The big H & PP Hitches new run in the mid-$2000s up to low-$3000s now for the PP - whereas the H-Cub is only in the mid to high-$1000s new. All can be found used for less, & Hensley reconditions theirs for a new owner Lifetime Warranty (PP may do so too).

I looked at both, but since our vintage 1960 Avion T20 is only 3000-3500# wet-&-loaded - the Cub price was a major plus. However, I liked the idea of not drilling the A-frame for the Hensleys, that PP offers with its "Yoke" design, but in the end I couldn't get to fit on our old school shorter A-frame, & wasn't willing to rebuild the entire front end frame to fit it. As it was - the Cub's torsion bar brackets & adjusting jacks barely fit.

BTW - if you're old &/or have bad shoulders or back etc. - then you should seriously consider H & PP or any other hitch with adjusting jacks that you can crank with a ratchet wrench &/or a cordless drill - rather than levering/muscling up their WD torsion chains or torsion bars (H & PP offer a cheaper chain adjuster option for the younger & fitter crowd), as well as not having to undo the torsion bars in order to back-up & removing/replacing the bars & hitch head with the other models.

In my case I'm almost 69 with bad shoulders, knees & back from 11 years of youth/HS football & 26 years of Rugby XVx college/club/old boys after that - so H or PP were a no brainer for me - in addition for the easier driving/towing for both me & my wife. And I got our Cub in 2013, but was thinking ahead!

Another benefit of the Tekonsha RF brake controller mounted on your trailer A-frame/front beyond not having to damage the dash on your nice new SQ7 - is that you can transfer it to other trailers in the meantime, while not needing to worry about a brake controller in future new vehicles &/or for substitute TVs when your SQ7 is in the shop, has a breakdown or flat tire (carry a full size spare tire & wheel for both SQ7 & AS BTW - no inflatable spares nor cans of goo).

Also the brake controller handheld unit can sit ready at hand right next to you on the seat, lap, center console for use of the boost button in an emergency stop &/or for trailer only braking on downgrades etc. - rather than having to reach & find that button on the under or in-dash mounted brake controller while driving or in an emergency situation. To me its a far better design solution for actual use, as well as being out of the way on the trailer.

And to be clear - I do think that your SQ7 is an excellent choice - as are the other SQ8/RSQ8 & S6/RS6 Avant wagons & Turbo Cayennes, etc. - as I'd posted about them on here earlier this year.

Just make sure that they also install the trailer electrical hook-up at the dealer before delivery, & try to get the combo dual 4-pin-flat & 7-blade round type of hook-up from Hopkins etc. if it fits the Q7 mounting plate (it should, & V/P/A doesn't make them, so most dealers just will try to sell you a plain Curt etc. 7-blade round only type) - so that you have more flexibility in towing light utility trailers, etc. You're better off for dealer warranty coverage of the installation to have them buy the unit - like this one below, but widely available.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Go to the actual Hopkins website &/or contact them for fitment.

My point on the other eHybrid options was that your counter of F150 Hybrid was neither the best alt powertrain choice, nor was it necessary to give up smaller mid-size SUVs with better passenger & enclosed cargo bay utility - unless you also want/need a pick-up bed for other cargo &/or work/home projects etc.

FYI - if you look back in this topic thread - there are several members on here towing with the Cayenne eHybrid that are having no problems, and all of the original C/T/Q7 base V6s were & are rated to tow the same 7716 lbs (often rounded down to 7700, but that the correct conversion from the KG used to certify their tow ratings). They don't seem to be having any issues with lugging around depleted batteries - which was also my initial concerns with them too. You could post the question on here for eHybrid towing feedback for some to chime in.

What I realized with the introduction of the 3.0L V6T base Cay engine, was that it had almost the same HP & TQ as the original CayS normally aspirated V8, but with TQ at lower RPMs, and the Cay eHybrid has used that 3.0L V6 in either SC (2015-18) or T (2019>) form with similar V8 power & TQ at lower rpm. Torque is what pulls our trailers well, & was why the 3.0L V6 & 5.0L V10 TDI diesels from V/A/P so great for towing - DieselGate problems & lack of factory & dealer support after the post legal settlement support timeframe.

The Cay eHybrid owners say - whether towing or not is that the EV & high mpg benefit is primarily at in town & local or short trips, whereas on the highway & when towing at freeway speeds &/or on grades in hills/mountains the EV power is basically a power boost, & you're otherwise recharging while cruising at set freeway speeds on gas power. The Cay Turbo/S 4.0L V8TT eHybrid is almost purely just for the power boost effect.

This was my process: After we got our restored vintage Avion back in July 2012 & actually now needed a TV, we did some rentals, testing trials/trips, & a lot of research into all sorts of purchase TV options. Initially for only 3-6+/- weekend trips per year towing to vintage trailer rallies & camp-outs - renting a TV made more economic sense, given the cost of the care & feeding of another "extra" vehicle (purchase, maintenance, fuel/oil/etc., insurance, etc.). So we initially only rented, but then more & longer trips became feasible after my wife's retirement as a hospital RN with limited & difficult to schedule time off, & 5-6+/- weekend rentals per year is about the breakeven point for us - with an added push for more comfort & not having old folks like us having to climb up into the overly jacked-up BS of today's pick-up trucks, then endure the rougher ride in them.

For our use a full sized pick-up/SUV is too big for our tiny 8' drive with mostly only 12-18" clear each side, & a narrow street (the truck rentals are a PITA), when in 2012-13 we tried towing with several rented F150 & F250s & Nissan Pathfinders with the 4.0L V6 in order to compare the towing with a mid-sized SUV vs pick-up trucks. 2012 Pathfinders with their V8s weren't rented to try out, & those truck based 2012 Pathfinders didn't have eAS on them - but the pick-ups had just started eAS about 2011-12. We couldn't pre-test towing with any Cayennes with hitches available to rent, so the Pathfinders were my kluge test case for the smaller than pick-up truck TVs.

However - while the Pathfinder was the perfect size for our driveway/street & driving comfort - it's 4.0L normally aspirated V6 5-speed Auto with 266 HP & 288 TQ was working hard on even moderate grades & constantly shifting gears on grades & at 65+/- freeway speeds (where legal towing speed with a "truck"). So that gave me pause for the older VW sourced 3.6L VR6 Base Cayenne, Touareg & Q7 - even though those had a bit more power, if they were working harder & with more road noise like the Pathfinder down-shifting & higher revs.

Also since those 2012 Pathfinders didn't have integral sway control with the tow package option - contrary to what the renting dealer told us the 1st time, we went "bare ball" on a trip SoCal/OC to the Pismo vintage rally in 2013, which was an E-ticket ride over 50-55 mph with the Avion wagging the Pathfinder's tail. So I got & installed the Hensley Cub before the next trip anyway, since we were leaning to Cay/Treg/Q7 anyway & figured we'd want it for added stability to their eAS systems. With the Pathfinder it went from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, to docile with a bigger problem not creeping up to 75 mph on the freeway!

After 2013 the Nissan dealership was sold & stopped renting the Pathfinders, & we had to switch back to the local Enterprise Truck Rental F250 & Dodge/RAM 2500 3/4 ton trucks, which didn't really need the WD, & the mAS of the Hensley Cub never conflicted with the trucks' built-in eAS systems, nor did the mpg change hitched from unhitched - about 13 mpg gas or 17 mpg diesel with either truck - since they're waaaay overkill for our Avion.

I've probably rented +/- 30-50 different TV rentals of those F150/250, RAM 2500 & Pathfinder types since 2012, & never has any issue with the Hensley & eAS at all - & the Avion tows without any sway issues ever with high crosswinds, fast 18-wheelers, rough roads/pavement, etc.

However, if you ever rent a F150/250 in a pinch, be aware that their 2016-18 models had some electrical glitch with the trailer hook-up that would never work the trailer's main/running lights - only the brake & turn signal/emergency lights on 5 separate trucks in 2016 - even though the lights all worked fine when hooked up to another TV pulled next to us for a test - including a buddy's 2013 F250 & my `88 Westy van's 4-pin with a 7-to-4-pin adapter! So we switched to RAM 2500s only after that fiasco of no night towing BS.

FYI with the F150 Hybrid alternative that you'd mentioned in a prior post - note that the base F150s are/were only rated for 5000# GTW & 500# HW if not bought from the factory with their various higher towing options. So a F150 5-6 place crew cab that's got the 7500-8000# tow rating & comparably equipped to most any Cayenne or Q7/SQ7/Q8/SQ8/RSQ8 - actually ends up costing as much or more than the V/P/A premium SUVs, since almost everything has to be added onto the F150 as separate options - including a comparable 7716# tow rating.

For us - since I tend to keep my cars very long term (note ages below since new or 2nd owner) - staying away from the added complications for future maintenance of air suspension, turbo/super charging, loads of electronic nannies & options makes sense. Also, I felt that a more powerful naturally aspirated (NA) V8 not working as hard as a V6 NA, SC or Turbo - would be quieter & longer lived - as well as the CayS NA V8 getting better 13-15 mpg towing, vs 10-13 mpg for either the Base VR6, GTS NA V8, or Turbo/TurboS Cayenne variants. So I was very disappointed when Porsche dropped the NA V8 CayS in 2015.

The 2008-14 was my sweet spot CayS TV without AS (unfortunately all GTS came with air susp), with the back-up camera (which was an option then) &/or factory hitch (I could add aftermarket rear camera, or dealer installed factory hitch - but not both for the value, given $2k for each) - in any color but Black, & preferably not black interior (or I'd have to do seat tan covers) due to SoCal/Southwest heat). My requirements cut out 90% of Cayennes, then sellers asking over value cut out many more - when I thought my search would be easier with Cayennes being all tow ready.

However, since we're both retired now (me semi-) & will be driving the Cayenne around as a DD more now - maybe 50-70%, with only our 1973 Porsche 914-2.0, 1985 BMW 325e E30 & 1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper now being Classic Cars with harder to find parts as our DDs to this point (before it was 80% for towing & driving at camp stops).

Ergo, I've become more open to next considering either the newer 2019> Base Cay 3.0L V6T, or the even more so for the 2015> 3.0L V6 SC/T Cay eHybrid where we can do almost 100% of our local DD in pure EV, while having the 3.0L V6T with EV boost on trips while towing, as well as for the now V6TT CayS. However, I'll want to have an extended test drive or weekend rental to tow our Avion with either/both as well as for the newer now 2015-18 3.6L or 2019> 2.9L V6TT Cayenne S models - before plunking down any money for one.

We'll probably start looking at new/newer Cayennes, & perhaps SQ7 & SQ8/RSQ8, & maybe even the S6/RS6 Avant &/or Panamera Sport Tourismo if they can resolve the tow hitch issue - any/all in gas &/or eHybrid variants - once the current production problems are resolved & back to normal levels, & once used prices are back to normal after same on new cars. We may end up with the SQ7 if my wife decides that we need 7 seats for kids & grandkids all in one car!

Hopefully this clarifies my TV comparisons & comments without too much TMI!

BTW - we're both all shot up too!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #1363
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post
Main issue is Curt Triflex has no on off and if I am but towing the car senses towing not sure if is because I have the hitch/shank still attached to square of the Q8 or the always on brake controller confuses the car as it always says tow mode so some safety features turned off.

Any advice on why Q8 goes to tow mode automatically which turns off side mirror sensors etc…?
No advice, but we towed our AS for the first time long distance ( from NJ to OH - where it’s restoration will be completed). Since then, over the 500miles back, all of
- pre-sense,
- adaptive cruise control
- intersection assist
- etc

Are “limited”.

The 360 camera for parking still work, but the parking distance sensors don’t seem to ( as no beeping when approaching close objects).

Lane keep assist still works fine tho.

Thought at first it was dead bugs, so cleaned all the sensors, but to no avail.

Ours is a 2020 Q8. Curt triflex was fitted by Audi dealer during its 10000 mile service, it’s now on 13k miles, and this is the first time it’s acting up.

Will try disconnecting and reconnecting the triflex tomorrow to see if it helps… but not sure, as while towing the triflex makes a very audible clicking sound when you brake.. and with the AS disconnected it doesn’t make any sound..

But worth a shot, will report back.

Incidentally while towing, car get amazing. Had to keep a close eye on speed as most of the time you hardly could tell there was a trailer behind.
Economy was 13.8mpg at 65-70.
Mullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #1364
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Palo Alto , California
Had no avail, trying to reset the Triflex. Booked car in to dealer for next Wednesday 6/21, so will find out more then.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #1365
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Hybrid

The physics on a hybrid are a bit different than you stated. A hybrid basically apportions x% of horsepower between EV and ICS.

On the highway you don’t need that much HP and so having a smaller ICE means less friction and better gas mileage.. you can argue cylinder deactivation is similar.

Then what you need more HP for is acceleration or change of rate of speed. An EV does great at this since it’s full torque and you rarely accelerate for that long.

A final and small plus is regenerative breaking.

So actually, an ev can make a good option, but my experience is that it doesn’t make a huge difference on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supziez View Post

cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #1366
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Question Cayenne Hybrid & eHybrid TV Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedonly View Post
The physics on a hybrid are a bit different than you stated. A hybrid basically apportions x% of horsepower between EV and ICS.

On the highway you don’t need that much HP and so having a smaller ICE means less friction and better gas mileage.. you can argue cylinder deactivation is similar.

Then what you need more HP for is acceleration or change of rate of speed. An EV does great at this since it’s full torque and you rarely accelerate for that long.

A final and small plus is regenerative breaking.

So actually, an ev can make a good option, but my experience is that it doesn’t make a huge difference on the highway.
cedonly -

Can you confirm a few things on your Cayenne eHybrid or Hybrid for those of us considering them for our new(er) TVs -

Which model & year is yours & what do you tow with it?

What mpg do you get when towing city, highway &/or average?

Is my understanding correct that you can put the 2015> Cay eHybrids into recharge mode while cruising on the highway, in order to have the batteries charged up when needed for mountain/hill grades?

I think that you still get the acceleration boost you mentioned in recharge mode - correct?

So far I'm going by what some fellow PCA members with Cay eHybrids have told me, since we don't have an eHybrid version yet, but we will consider them whenever new production & used prices normalize again.

Another advantage that I noted above in my other reply to supz" for us, would be essentially only using EV mode around town for local daily driving, since the 2015-20 14+/- mile EV only range & 2021> 18-21 mile EV range is plenty enough to putter around town & recharge at home &/or local destinations (good number of public charging around SoCal).

Then we'd use it in hybrid mode for trips, towing, PCA fun social & driving events, etc. The Cayenne lines' 2015-18 Supercharged 3.0L V6 eHybrid, & 2019> Turbocharged 3.0L V6 Base & eHybrid, should all have plenty of HP & Torque for towing with the plus of the EV motor boost when needed, because they're within +/-5 HP & TQ of the original 2003-06 era 955 Cayenne S normally aspirated V8.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #1367
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Has anyone run into a weird intermittent vibration that only happens when you're towing and using cruise control at highway speeds?

We're towing our 27FB with an Audi Q7 fitted with a WD+sway hitch setup from Can-Am, and it works great, except for the aforementioned vibration.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #1368
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
Has anyone run into a weird intermittent vibration that only happens when you're towing and using cruise control at highway speeds?

We're towing our 27FB with an Audi Q7 fitted with a WD+sway hitch setup from Can-Am, and it works great, except for the aforementioned vibration.
Not an audi expert, but if any of the CV joints are at or near their critical operating angle, they will cause a vibration at anywhere between 1st order to 4th order, depending on how many balls and sockets they have.
The same is true for any front drive/awd/independent rear suspension vehicle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #1369
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I asked Andy and CANAm last year if my Q5 can pull a FC 25FB
he should no issues

we currently pull a 22FB with no issues
we use Sway and WD and never had an issue
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #1370
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not an audi expert, but if any of the CV joints are at or near their critical operating angle, they will cause a vibration at anywhere between 1st order to 4th order, depending on how many balls and sockets they have. The same is true for any front drive/awd/independent rear suspension vehicle.
Interesting – I had not thought of the CV joints. But if that was the issue, I would not expect it to behave differently on and off cruise control. The problem we're having only occurs when towing with cruise control on.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #1371
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Austin , TX
Quote:

Our Lane Change Warning vibration is certainly more pronounced when we are in cruise control at higher speeds.
andee_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:58 AM   #1372
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Possibly you need to manually shift at highway speeds. On some vehicles the shift pattern changes when cruise is engaged. So running with your foot it may be in 6th gear but 7th on cruise.

You want to be 23-2600 RPM at 65 MPH. This will use less fuel than lugging at 2000.

When you come to hills down shift to the correct gear for climbing.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #1373
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Possibly you need to manually shift at highway speeds. On some vehicles the shift pattern changes when cruise is engaged. So running with your foot it may be in 6th gear but 7th on cruise.

You want to be 23-2600 RPM at 65 MPH. This will use less fuel than lugging at 2000.

Very interesting tip Andy. I follow this thread as some of the items discussed here apply to Mercedes. On this point, when you manually shift late model Mercedes SUV they return to automatic shift mode in about 30 seconds. Any tips on how to optimize RPM for lower fuel consumption while towing with a Mercedes gas. You may recall I have the GLS580 now.
Hal
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #1374
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullers View Post
Had no avail, trying to reset the Triflex. Booked car in to dealer for next Wednesday 6/21, so will find out more then.
@Imdakine1

Got our Q8 back today. Apparently some sensors were misadjusted. We won’t get to tow our AS until next year as it’s being restored, but may be worth you bringing your Q8 to a dealer to have them look?

Click image for larger version

Name:	4519CF25-D0A7-4285-B1E6-CC5F804316EF.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	398888
Old 07-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #1375
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
Very interesting tip Andy. I follow this thread as some of the items discussed here apply to Mercedes. On this point, when you manually shift late model Mercedes SUV they return to automatic shift mode in about 30 seconds. Any tips on how to optimize RPM for lower fuel consumption while towing with a Mercedes gas. You may recall I have the GLS580 now.
Hal
I hate to derail this thread on the VW group, but on the newer MBs like yours you need to use the "dynamic" setting and set the vehicle to "Individual". Then you need to select "manual". Then set your gear level. If you set manual first it will not work. The owners manual isn't very clear on this. But with some experimentation last night I was able to get it to work. They do sort of tell you that is the order, but when you see it in the owners manual they don't actually go further. I believe that once you set this you will be prompted every time you start your car if you want to keep these settings. If you can't get it to work PM me and I will attempt to take a video of the procedure.

Here are some excerpts from the owners manual.

Press DYNAMIC SELECT switch 1 forwards
or backwards.
The drive program selected appears in the
multifunction display.

Setting drive program I*
# Select Individual Configuration.
# Select and set a category

Permanent setting:
# Change to drive program I*
# Select drive setting M

Sorry for the derailing. Back to the regular scheduled group.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #1376

Peoria , Illinois
Quote:

We’ve been towing (5500 lb) with our 2017 Cayenne S in Sport Mode. It spends 95% of its time in 6th gear at 2100 rpm at 61 mph and doesn’t feel at all like it’s lugging. It downshifts to 5th on grades of 4-6% and up shifts to 7th on the downhill side, but never gets into 8th as long as it’s in Sport Mode. Should we be manually forcing it into 5th for higher rpm and gas mileage?
Dkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #1377
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
Quote:

This is what I found on my Cayenne. I set it in Sport mode and cruise then as soon as speed drops 1mph, I'll drop down a gear and usually another depending on hill. Sometimes it was beneficial to just go to manual mode.
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #1378
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Carter View Post
This is what I found on my Cayenne. I set it in Sport mode and cruise then as soon as speed drops 1mph, I'll drop down a gear and usually another depending on hill. Sometimes it was beneficial to just go to manual mode.
I do exactly the same. I downshift anticipating hills.

It’s funny, when I cruise along in Manual mode and hit the Cruise switch, it always shifts to a higher gear (even in Sport mode). Corporate CAFE programming is to blame, I think.

Just returned from a 4,700 trip that included Berthoud Pass (11,307’). Love the car (2016 Cayenne S)!
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #1379
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
FWIW, after a few more days of towing, the vibration issue seems to have just disappeared. I'm at a loss for any explanation why, but better gone than not, I guess.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #1380
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkayak View Post
We’ve been towing (5500 lb) with our 2017 Cayenne S in Sport Mode. It spends 95% of its time in 6th gear at 2100 rpm at 61 mph and doesn’t feel at all like it’s lugging. It downshifts to 5th on grades of 4-6% and up shifts to 7th on the downhill side, but never gets into 8th as long as it’s in Sport Mode. Should we be manually forcing it into 5th for higher rpm and gas mileage?
Hello, fellow Peorian!
I tow an 25FB, which is pretty heavy. As a point of reference, I get between 9 and 11 mpg, depending. Personally, I don’t worry about gas mileage. I probably would have bought a diesel pickup if I cared about it. My Cayenne is my daily driver, so poor towing gas mileage is the price I chose to pay.
Kirk
PS: 2016 Cayenne ‘S’
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote