Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #721
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
The Cayenne Turbo S is the top of the heap, 570 HP and 590 TQ @ 2500 rpm. While the diesel was awesome, it does not hold a candle to the Turbo V8 in any category except mileage. And given the price of diesel fuel (more expensive than premium), probably not that much more to operate per mile.

Except for the V10 Turbo Diesel Touareg...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #722
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Boy, don’t I wish the Cayenne Diesel S was was available in the US. Nothing else like it in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 AM   #723
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Since Diesel gate several customers have switched to the 3.0 Turbo in the Q7 and Cayenne. So far everyone I’ve spoken with is happy with the performance and fuel economy.

One disturbing thing I discovered yesterday on a new Q7is Audi is using the same soy based wire insulation as Ford and rodents are chewing it. So far warranty has taken care of the customer but I heard Ford is saying it’s an insurance claim.

We’re setting up our first bmw X7 today. I’m really curious to see how the 4 wheel steering handles.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:53 AM   #724
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
Boy, don’t I wish the Cayenne Diesel S was was available in the US. Nothing else like it in the world.
As long as we’re wishing, I wish we could have the 2020 VW Touareg V8 TDI - 419 HP and 664 lb.ft. of torque!

https://jalopnik.com/the-surprising-...las-1833200733
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:56 AM   #725
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Since Diesel gate several customers have switched to the 3.0 Turbo in the Q7 and Cayenne. So far everyone I’ve spoken with is happy with the performance and fuel economy.

One disturbing thing I discovered yesterday on a new Q7is Audi is using the same soy based wire insulation as Ford and rodents are chewing it. So far warranty has taken care of the customer but I heard Ford is saying it’s an insurance claim.

We’re setting up our first bmw X7 today. I’m really curious to see how the 4 wheel steering handles.
Andy, what size trailer is the customer with the X7 towing? Please let us know how it turns out. Thanks!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #726
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Sounds exciting - I am interested hearing about this set up and the details on the trailer too. Is the X7 a 50i V8 model or the smaller 40i 6cyl?
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #727
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I am a big fan of the Porsche Cayenne with the turbocharged V6 gas motors. I like these specs for the 2019 Cayenne S:

406 ft-lbs of torque @ 1,800-5,500 rpm
18/23 mpg
7,700 Lb towing capacity
4,454 lbs curb weight, 6,261 lbs GVWR- max load 1,807 lbs

Dan

Dan -

Have you towed your `66 TW 24' with one of the 2015> Turbo gasser V6s yet, or are you just reading the specs?

I'd love to get some feedback from folks actually towing with the "new" 3.6L &/or 3.0L TT V6 gas engines.

I'm wondering how they'd work for something close to our 20'-6" 1960 Avion T20 (3000-3500 lbs wet/loaded & 542 lbs HW w/ Hensley Cub + 2x 30 lb LP tanks).

I wish a dealer would rent me one for one of our vintage trailer rallies, just to see how it did in the real world towing ours - paper specs aside.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #728
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:

Andy,

The CayTDI 3.0L has always been a great TV, as per your HH article on one which I've posted before in here. But the agreed "fix" has apparently taken away the downhill engine braking from the programming, decreased HP/TQ some, & decreased mpg.

The bigger concern is long term support for them after their required extended warranty is up. My long time Porsche/VW/Audi mechanic (since 1975) said that they'll just wash their hands of it after the extended warranties run out - which be past the EU required 15 years of parts support (only 10 in the USA) for all vehicles - by the time the settlement's extended warranty is up for them.

And for soy insulation - a couple of years ago my mechanic had a customer's 1.5-2 year old BMW X5 totaled by insurance due to rodents ending up the entire harness while parked at home off-n-on.

Environmentalism is sometimes misplaced, since it's far more impact to lose all of the energy & materials going into a new vehicle due to use of soy base insulation. That's just dumb science or planned obsolescence!

If anything, we should be making cars/trucks to last longer & not require replacement so soon, with the ongoing costs of building new ones.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #729
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
As long as we’re wishing, I wish we could have the 2020 VW Touareg V8 TDI - 419 HP and 664 lb.ft. of torque!

https://jalopnik.com/the-surprising-...las-1833200733

The Cayenne Diesel S V8 was 382 HP & 627 TQ back in 2013 MY - so just a bit more than the older Touareg V10 TDI - & if Porsche hadn't dropped diesels due to the scandal, then it would probably been incrementally increased to that level of HP & TQ or more by 2020.

Unfortunately it was never offered here in the USA, but it would've sold as well or better than the 3.0L V6 TDI here to Porschephiles I suspect. That 2020 Touareg V8 TDI won't make it to the US either, & is their last Diesel.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #730
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Dan -

Have you towed your `66 TW 24' with one of the 2015> Turbo gasser V6s yet, or are you just reading the specs?

Tom

No, no towing experience at all. My TV is an 08 Tundra with the 5.7L V8, which is a great TV. No repairs even in 100k miles, and it is almost as good as any 2019 1/2 ton TV except for not having up to date infotainment (IMHO). I love my Tundra, but it is HUGE. My dream TV is a Cayenne or possibly Macon with a turbocharged V6. We would prefer something small and nimble to drive around when we are not towing.

Having said all that I really like small displacement turbo gas motors and own/have owned 4 - 2002 Jetta 1.7L, 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0L, 2015 Golf 1.8L and 2015 Audi A3 Quattro 2.0L.

Tom, might a Q5 with the 2.0L turbocharged motor work for towing your Avion T20?

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	339392Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	339393Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	339394
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #731
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Not sure about that, 309HP, 553TQ.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #732
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:

Hi Andy,
How unfortunate Audi is using that wire insulation! A Q7 was in for the running for our next TV, but after what we went through with our son’s 2010 RAV4 a few years back... We had an AC compressor replaced, wiring harness replaced, another compressor replaced, dead mice in vents, etc. all due to soy based eco-friendly wire insulation that Toyota denied it being a problem. So after using peppermint oil and mice deterrents of other forms as well as buying some rodent tape from Honda, we had read online that other people had their vehicles engine compartment coated with undercoating spray that is petroleum based and that would keep the mice off of the wires. We now have that done once a year and have had no problem in the past five years.

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #733
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Tom

No, no towing experience at all. My TV is an 08 Tundra with the 5.7L V8, which is a great TV. No repairs even in 100k miles, and it is almost as good as any 2019 1/2 ton TV except for not having up to date infotainment (IMHO). I love my Tundra, but it is HUGE. My dream TV is a Cayenne or possibly Macon with a turbocharged V6. We would prefer something small and nimble to drive around when we are not towing.

Having said all that I really like small displacement turbo gas motors and own/have owned 4 - 2002 Jetta 1.7L, 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0L, 2015 Golf 1.8L and 2015 Audi A3 Quattro 2.0L.

Tom, might a Q5 with the 2.0L turbocharged motor work for towing your Avion T20?

DanAttachment 339392Attachment 339393Attachment 339394

Dan,

That 3.6L Twin Turbo V6 is the same in the Macan S & 2015-18 Cayenne S, but the CayS carries a few hundred more pounds than the Macan, so the HP/TQ is "diluted" by the weight in a HP/Lbs comparison.

When they first came out we did look at the Macan S & Macan Turbo S (both 3.6L TT V6s, just tuned for more HP?TQ in the MT), but my wife wants more room in the cargo area & back seats - so we've stuck with the 2008-14 normally aspirated 4.8L V8 Cay S in our search.

If I could try towing with a 2015-18 CayS with the 3.6L TT V6 & it worked out with our Avion T20, then I'll expand my search to newer CayS's.

Our backup plan is either the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570 or a Sequoyah, but size is an issue with us too, due to our very narrow 8' driveway with only 18" each side open space & a narrow & busy 36' w street with parking both sides. The bigger Sequoyah pushes the total rig length limit & maneuverability issues due to same in "threading the needle" backing into our driveway & even in pulling out. So the Cayenne's mid-size SUV is better for us, & the LC/LX are close to that size, but IMHO overpriced compared to a Porsche Cayenne S.

Everyone I know loves the Macan S/T/GTS/TS but it's only rated for around 4450-4500+/- lbs & 450-500+/- HW - so your TT would need to older lighter &/or smallish for a TV. I don't know if your 66 24' would be.

And for the Porsche/VW/Audi 3.0 V6 TDI Diesel folks out there - my guy Hans was only referring to ongoing mfgr support being a problem after the agreed/settlement extended warranty runs out. He said that it's an amazing piece of engineering, & that all of his customers with them in any vehicle type love them. But he knows that I want to keep mine for 10-20 years, so advised me to stay away due to future parts & mfgr support concerns.

NO - none of the 2.0 TT 4's would I even try to tow the Avion with, & my past experience with Nissan's big 4.0L V6 (non-turbo) in the older body-on-frame Pathfinder when we rented them drops out most of the generic flavor non-turbo V6s in Ridgeline/Pilot/Acura, Pathfinder/QX60, 4Runner/GX460, etc. I know too many people with TT about the same weight as ours who have struggled on grades, in headwinds, etc.

Plus the smaller engines in non & turbo are typically working much harder to produce the higher HP/TQ - especially when towing - so they tend to get lower mpg when towing, than a comparable non-turbo V8. And it seems that most of the turbo V6s also require premium gas just like the V8s from Porsche/VW/Audi - so there's no advantage on regular grade anymore.

However, we have towed our "new to us" little aluminum/fiberglass vintage kin 1970 Eriba Puck with our 91 HP 2.1L WBX 4 VW Westfalia! But then Eriba worked with VW back in the mid-1950's to design this ultra light TT (650 lbs/65 HW) so it could be towed by the 25 HP VWs of the day & other small cars back then.

See attached pic....

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181027_100021 (2).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	339458  
Old 06-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #734
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Hey y'all,

Last year we purchased a cheap 2003 Keystone 24" camper with the intent to remodel over the summer and then tow from Arkansas to Banff and back, hitting as many National Parks as we could......in only ten days!

I quickly realized my 295hp GMC crew cab with the towing pkg wasn't going to make this enjoyable. We traded the wife's Jeep Rubicon in on a 2008 Cayenne Turbo.

It needed the usual maintenance and brakes. I added the factory tow pkg, a backup cam with touch screen radio, wireless brake controller, Andersen Hitch and Aero 3 mirrors. I also added a basket on the tongue to carry a big generator that we never even used.

This thing towed like a dream! Even with the 6000lb brick behind us we never had any issues other than nearly running out of fuel in rural Montana & Wyoming on several occasions. We got about 8mpg but we were hustling! Lots of ground to cover in a short amount of time. We were over-prepared but also stretched thin. We learned how not to travel with a trailer!

Since then we've had the dreaded $2000 coolant leak and got some new dancing shoes and had the paint corrected and ceramic coated.

If the stars continue to align I'll be bringing home a 2007 Safari 25FB LS on Tuesday! I'm excited to pull an iconic and aerodynamic Airstream behind the Cayenne to Salida this year for a one-week reservation. Driving two-lane highway to just Colorado will be much more leisurely than our Cannonball style run last year.
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #735
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
Hey y'all,

Last year we purchased a cheap 2003 Keystone 24" camper with the intent to remodel over the summer and then tow from Arkansas to Banff and back, hitting as many National Parks as we could......in only ten days!

I quickly realized my 295hp GMC crew cab with the towing pkg wasn't going to make this enjoyable. We traded the wife's Jeep Rubicon in on a 2008 Cayenne Turbo.

It needed the usual maintenance and brakes. I added the factory tow pkg, a backup cam with touch screen radio, wireless brake controller, Andersen Hitch and Aero 3 mirrors. I also added a basket on the tongue to carry a big generator that we never even used.

This thing towed like a dream! Even with the 6000lb brick behind us we never had any issues other than nearly running out of fuel in rural Montana & Wyoming on several occasions. We got about 8mpg but we were hustling! Lots of ground to cover in a short amount of time. We were over-prepared but also stretched thin. We learned how not to travel with a trailer!

Since then we've had the dreaded $2000 coolant leak and got some new dancing shoes and had the paint corrected and ceramic coated.

If the stars continue to align I'll be bringing home a 2007 Safari 25FB LS on Tuesday! I'm excited to pull an iconic and aerodynamic Airstream behind the Cayenne to Salida this year for a one-week reservation. Driving two-lane highway to just Colorado will be much more leisurely than our Cannonball style run last year.

2006 Safari 25FB SE with 2011 Acura MDX. Does great with Hensley hitch but in about two years we may be looking at getting one of those Cayennes like you have. You will love the Safari [emoji3059]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4923.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	343344
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #736
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Snapped a new pic tonight after having it ceramic coated. This is after driving it in the rain today too, no wash after.

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do about the mountain bikes and I'd LOVE to attach an aluminum canoe to the roof of the Pig as we affectionately call her!
Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 AM   #737
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Wow,
What a thread! For a pile of reasons, I am trading in what has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, my 2500 Ram and buying a 2019 Audi Q7 to pull our 16’ International Serenity.
We’ve towed our Airstream some 60,000 miles by truck and have been all over the country. The truck existed before we bought the Bambi and we just waded in to the lifestyle. We’ve had a blast.
I have watched Audi building better and more reliable automobiles in the past 10 years with customers driving them hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles...
My wife purchased an SQ5 Audi almost 4 years ago and it has simply been an amazing car.
The biggest hurdle in leaving the pick up world was in loosing the space in the bed! As our Bambi is obviously so small, we tend to travel with everything in the truck. The Q7 has enough space for what we need though and in truth, we have been traveling with less and less as we become more “mature” at this...
I drove the new body style Q7 this week for the first time... after 10 years of driving a pick up all I can say is WOW!
I opted for a Q7 with the adaptive chassis package mostly because I wanted the 4 wheel steering after 10 years of parking a truck... The Audi so equipped has a 37’ turning diameter.
I am really looking forward to hooking up the Airstream to the new car that I should be taking delivery of on Monday or Tuesday.
So, here is a question...
We use a Hensley Cub hitch now.
I’d consider switching to Andy’s recommended Eaz-Lift hitch with the new vehicle if it is a better solution.
I see that people use both types with success. The Eaz-Lift is a simpler, lighter hitch that is actually pretty inexpensive.
I can simply continue with the Cub or I can switch now...
We plan on having everything “tweaked” at Can Am in early September but I’d like to accomplish as much as I can on my own before we head there.
Any thoughts?
Bruce
Old 06-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #738
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Wow,
What a thread! For a pile of reasons, I am trading in what has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, my 2500 Ram and buying a 2019 Audi Q7 to pull our 16’ International Serenity.
We’ve towed our Airstream some 60,000 miles by truck and have been all over the country. The truck existed before we bought the Bambi and we just waded in to the lifestyle. We’ve had a blast.
I have watched Audi building better and more reliable automobiles in the past 10 years with customers driving them hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles...
My wife purchased an SQ5 Audi almost 4 years ago and it has simply been an amazing car.
The biggest hurdle in leaving the pick up world was in loosing the space in the bed! As our Bambi is obviously so small, we tend to travel with everything in the truck. The Q7 has enough space for what we need though and in truth, we have been traveling with less and less as we become more “mature” at this...
I drove the new body style Q7 this week for the first time... after 10 years of driving a pick up all I can say is WOW!
I opted for a Q7 with the adaptive chassis package mostly because I wanted the 4 wheel steering after 10 years of parking a truck... The Audi so equipped has a 37’ turning diameter.
I am really looking forward to hooking up the Airstream to the new car that I should be taking delivery of on Monday or Tuesday.
So, here is a question...
We use a Hensley Cub hitch now.
I’d consider switching to Andy’s recommended Eaz-Lift hitch with the new vehicle if it is a better solution.
I see that people use both types with success. The Eaz-Lift is a simpler, lighter hitch that is actually pretty inexpensive.
I can simply continue with the Cub or I can switch now...
We plan on having everything “tweaked” at Can Am in early September but I’d like to accomplish as much as I can on my own before we head there.
Any thoughts?
Bruce
I can't vouch for those but I can tell you that I've had incredible success with the Andersen hitch. We drove 4600 miles to Banff and back at ridiculous speeds. No sway. Driving across Montana at 70mph with the windmills spinning. No sway. We had an oncoming semi truck blow in our tow mirrors, twice. No sway. It's light. It's easy. You don't even have to hook up the weight distribution chains to get the benefits of the sway control. In fact you can swap the ball portion to any tow vehicle with just the pin and use it on any trailer for sway control.

I love it!

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...tion-kits.aspx
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #739
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Towing with a q7

Here is our experience.. we tow a 20ft FC .. 580-640lb tongue load depending on how much fresh water is in the back.

We towed for two years with a cayenne s .. no issues. This year we added aq7 to our family (also with adaptive steering and air suspension). The q7 has a 20% higher tongue load limit and the air suspension automatically levels the car. The 4 wheel steering effectively lengthens the car on the highway (wheels turn together).

We use just a sway bar no weight distribution etc.. and with the air suspension we have 0 issues. I wouldn’t see why we would need the extra cost or more importantly why we would put an additional moment arm (torque) with a more complicated hitch.

The q7 is the same mechanics as a Bentley, and if you search in YouTube you will see how beefy the 5 bar aluminum suspension is..

That’s my 5 cents..
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #740
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Woodinville , WA
Sway Bar Optional?

Although I could be described as a rookie at towing my 16 ft. 2008 Safari Sport with my 2012 Touareg, I would like to suggest a stabilizing hitch is optional for this and the above (Bruce B’s) set-up. Especially if the pin-to-ball distance is shortened to 6 1/8 inches or less as recommended in the factory manual. I have experienced virtually no handling problems during several trips from WA to CA, including some in extreme weather conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83B4906D-B321-4A9A-AFD4-4EEFB7759A5B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	343615  
Phil Krogh is offline   Reply With Quote