Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #601
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Yes, we have towed about 2k miles since the “upgrade”. The feel in general is somewhat negligible but fuel consumption is up by about 2 miles less per gallon. The only noticeable issue is the lack of controlled downhill low gear shifting, but I initially dealt with this using manual shifting. Got used to the new settings though and I am now using a situation awareness based strategy when driving downhill. Manual when I really need to keep the speed in check (not touching brakes), or otherwise I let “it go” if there is no traffic and the road is straight- the Pepper’s brakes are exceptional so this is no issue. So overall, I am still not happy about losing the downhill functionality and the gas mileage but thank you for the 10k in the bank....
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #602
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
thanks Knuff. I see you are running with a later year Cayenne and were afforded the fix and $10k payment. Am waiting a while longer to learn others experience with their VW Touaregs before deciding how to proceed with a fix for my 2016. Was your $10k compensation standard payment for Generation Two year 2013 and after vehicles? I see the settlement protocol for 2013 model year and later is different than prior model years.
2011Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #603
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Yes, we have towed about 2k miles since the “upgrade”. The feel in general is somewhat negligible but fuel consumption is up by about 2 miles less per gallon. The only noticeable issue is the lack of controlled downhill low gear shifting, but I initially dealt with this using manual shifting. Got used to the new settings though and I am now using a situation awareness based strategy when driving downhill. Manual when I really need to keep the speed in check (not touching brakes), or otherwise I let “it go” if there is no traffic and the road is straight- the Pepper’s brakes are exceptional so this is no issue. So overall, I am still not happy about losing the downhill functionality and the gas mileage but thank you for the 10k in the bank....
Thx Knuff, I was concerned that my TReg kept downshifting and running at the higher RPM due to the Recall Update. I'm going to reset my brake controller and see if that makes a difference. CanAm installed a Prodigy P2 last year when they did the hitch and I just got my trailer here in OH this month. Not sure if the guy at the dealer has it set correctly.
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #604
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some mfg suggest not using cruise when towing for the reason you are stating. Does yours?.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #605
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Cruise Control

FYI: We are new to towing our 2018 FC FB25 twin. The "upgrade" has not been applied as yet to our 2014 TReg TDI. I have been using Cruise Control for the last 3 weeks. On the Interstates, I am driving at 105 kph (65 mph). That is 1,700 RPM on Cruise Control. I do not see a lot of up/down shifting. When I take the TReg out of Cruise Control the RPM jumps to 2,000 - a downshift.

I believe that the TReg automatically drops into high gear (8) when you use cruise at 65mph. If you do not use Cruise the TReg will stay in (7) at the same speed. Personally I don't see a problem with this on a diesel, but experts may beg to differ. My performance and gas mielage thus far has been very good.
R
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #606
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Some mfg suggest not using cruise when towing for the reason you are stating. Does yours?.
I usually drive on manual most of the time. On long flat roads, I sometimes switch to cruise but only until I sense that I am making better choices than the cruise software. I don't like it when cruise suddenly kicks into action and starts shifting under load. I try to keep the shifting as stress free as possible for the transmission. Of course this all goes back to my Eurovan Camper days when protecting the transmission was the #1 task when driving... Same goes with keeping an eye on the temp all the time, which tends to run higher with cruise control engaged.

Not sure whether all this care is actually needed but better to be be on the safe side...
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #607
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Centerville , Ohio
Brake Controller Mounting - 2013 Touareg

I had Can Am install my receiver hitch and brake controller last Fall. Didn't purchase my trailer until last month. That's when I realized that the location of the Prodigy P2 controller makes it impossible to see or adjust without getting out of the Touareg. I've atch'd a pic of the location and was wondering if all Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 drivers have their controller in the same location.

Thanks,

TBDub
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #608
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDub View Post
I've atch'd a pic of the location and was wondering if all Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 drivers have their controller in the same location.
Picture?
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #609
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
My P2 was installed by CanAm in December 2017. And yes, it is very difficult to see / adjust while underway. I *think* that there may be an issue with airbag deployment if the controller were located higher.

We just completed our inaugural trip - a month on the road, 6K km. I only had to make one adjustment - reducing the boost from B1 to _B, as our AS brakes became very "grabby" especially at lower speeds. This helped a lot. Otherwise I have not seen the need to adjust, so for now the location is fine with me.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #610
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
TBDub & Coorslite & others -

This may be another case for using the Tekonsha Prodigy RF mounted on the Trailer A-frame, then the handheld RF controller plugs into a 12v/Cig Lighter socket in the cabin, with a pigtail cord so that you can hold it in your lap, set in the center console, cup holder, etc. to reach it easily & actually see it.

Their RF is the same controlled, but with the wireless RF controller unit added....

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf

You also always have the controller with the trailer if you ever need to use another TV for any reason - breakdown, TV in shop, in between TVs & renting a pick-up from Enterprise Truck Rental, etc.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #611
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Q7 Owner Needs Advice

Also - some of you newer model year Audi Q7 owners who tow with them may want to step in & offer some advice to the OP of the thread linked below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...89#post2083289

I suggested that he come to this topic, as well as to contact Andy T., but the usual bevy of truck-only guys jumped in, but I really don't know if he's exceeding the tow rating, nor about the Audi prohibition on WD hitches in their owners manual being so specific on the newer MY ones.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #612
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDub View Post
I had Can Am install my receiver hitch and brake controller last Fall. Didn't purchase my trailer until last month. That's when I realized that the location of the Prodigy P2 controller makes it impossible to see or adjust without getting out of the Touareg. I've atch'd a pic of the location and was wondering if all Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 drivers have their controller in the same location.

Thanks,

TBDub
yes mine was done at CanAm too and is low. I believe it is because of the lower airbags. I practiced moving the emergency lever a few times and I tested it in the first few minute every time I drove. It would be of a bit of a stretch reach in an emergency.
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #613
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
on flat surface cruise was fine but with any kind of grade it got a little fussy. it would downshift and run the rpms up on a grade to maintain speed. Not sure if anything was getting hurt I just don't see the point in going to, say, 3rd gear to mainintain 65 mph when I keep things more civil and crest a hill at, say, 58 mph. I'd rather maintain throttle position more or less on uphills and go a little slower. On the way down I would back off and sometimes put in higher gear. if the downhills are steep Iike using the brakes and engine braking. That's my $0.02.
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #614
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
New Brake Controller

Finally, a trailer break controller that works work just as well as the prodigy.

Looks good and installed in the main controller is up under the dash, out of the way.

Installed in our 2017 Tourareg.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...YaAjqxEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	307784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	307785  

lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #615
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i have the p3 installed in our 2016 Audi q5 pulling a sport 22FB.

it works VERY well. I highly recommend it

it was installed under the driver dash above the right leg

it just fits. it need to be there if you are right handed. on the other side if you are left handed.
this is so that you can use the manual brake under special conditions ie windy and sway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tekonsha Prodigy p3-in Q5-a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	307790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tekonsha Prodigy p3-in Q5-b.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	307791  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #616
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
Finally, a trailer break controller that works work just as well as the prodigy.

Looks good and installed in the main controller is up under the dash, out of the way.

Installed in our 2017 Tourareg.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...YaAjqxEALw_wcB

Ive been using the Redarc brake controller on the Q5 for a couple of years now. I just purchased one to put into the Treg too. This is a great controller for where dash space is limited.
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #617
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Andy - Have you been able to look underneath one the latest 2018 (third-gen) Porsche Cayenne/S/Turbo models available to see if they require hitch reinforcement?
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #618
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Our Rig

Thought I would post a picture of our rig.

This was taken in Kentucky in March. It was my first occasion to tow in a snowstorm (at Rocky Top).

It's time to brag about the 2016 Cayenne S. I know there is a desire by some to get the earlier, V8 powered S. My turbo V6 has amazing grunt towing up hills! I put the car in Sport mode, use Cruise Control, and let the software shift for me. It anticipates downshifting better than I can. Also, the engine management software pours in boost as the engine lugs back, bringing the torque way up. It couldn't be better!

Have fun out there!
Kirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cayenne and Airstream, Berea, Kentucky.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	308534  
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #619
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweendk View Post
This was taken in Kentucky in March. It was my first occasion to tow in a snowstorm (at Rocky Top).

My turbo V6 has amazing grunt towing up hills! I put the car in Sport mode, use Cruise Control, and let the software shift for me. It anticipates downshifting better than I can. Also, the engine management software pours in boost as the engine lugs back, bringing the torque way up. It couldn't be better!
Kirk!!!

Talk to me!

I have a 2017 Cayenne (not S) and when climbing it shifts to 3rd and sounds like it's really working.

How is your braking? Also, have you run into maintenance issues with excessive wear and tear?

-Erin
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #620
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Hello Erin,
re power towing up hills: From what I can tell your engine torque is 295 lb-ft from 3000-5250 RPM. Mine is 406 lb-ft from 1350-4500 RPM. That is the difference. I can't find the torque curves for your engine, but I suspect that below 3000, your engine torque falls off: hard to say how much. Yes, you will need to get the engine speed up to pull up hills.

As far as braking, we're not having issues with life or reliability. But, I haven't got that many towing miles on it yet. I think we have the same brakes. I use a Prodigy RF controller. I can crank it up to let the trailer do more braking. But, I don't like the way it feels, so I leave it at about a 4.5 - 5 setting.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your Cayenne. Yours is clearly tuned for fuel mileage, which I have to sacrifice.

Kirk
PS: Do you have a factory hitch? Having the factory controller module is critical. When a trailer is plugged in (electrically), the engine and transmission shift algorithms are changed to improve towing performance.
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote