Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #561
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Range Rover w 3.0 Liter Td6 Diesel guidance

I was hoping to get some feedback from those who might be towing with a similar vehicle/engine. I have the 2016 RR with the 3.0 Td6 diesel with tow package and was wanting to see if there is anyone towing in the 27' and up range. If so, how has the vehicle performed? Have you made any trips thru the mountains? What guidance would you give?
Thanks in advance!
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #562
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
It has been a couple of years since starting this thread. I remember our first trips - white knuckle driving, not sure whether we did the right thing (and this was towing with a rental truck (F150)); upgrading our airstream from a 20ft FC to the 25FB International, getting the hitch receiver reinforcement done, and the modified (tight) EZ lift hitch from Andy...

Well, now, at about 50K miles towing with our Pepper, I am happy to report that we had not a single incident and issue. We have probably crossed the Sierras almost 15 times during the last 3 years including several trips via Tijoga pass, crossed the Rockies, and pulled our Zeppel (now Zeppel2) over numerous mountain passes including now 10x over Boulder Mountain along Utah's scenic route 12. Overall, we are extremely happy with the setup and are looking forward to the next 50K.

The Cayenne has been performing incredibly well. We are getting the EPA mandated changes made to the car in 2 weeks and the only potential issue is that the engine downhill braking feature will disappear after the "upgrade". I am not sure how much this will impact our downhill towing, we will probably know this after a few future trips.

Our adventures included a 10K two-months trip to CA, OR, ID, UT, AZ, and CO in the fall of 2016.

Some images including stops at some of our favorite places are attached below.

Nov 2017, near the top of Boulder Mountain:

Oct 2017, Goblin Vallery State Park:

Our 2016 fall extended trip:

Kodachrome Basin State Park in Nov 2017:
Campsite #2

Campsite #23
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #563

Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I was hoping to get some feedback from those who might be towing with a similar vehicle/engine. I have the 2016 RR with the 3.0 Td6 diesel with tow package and was wanting to see if there is anyone towing in the 27' and up range. If so, how has the vehicle performed? Have you made any trips thru the mountains? What guidance would you give?
Thanks in advance!
Greg
Hi Ghaag, you will probably learn a lot from reading this endless thread and will get to know all kinds of opinions about tongue weight, sway, limits, and general weight distribution when setting up the rig.

We have seen a couple of Jeeps pulling various Airstreams during our trips including at least one sighting of a 27/28ft. Andy from Can-AM RV has been providing lots of insight into different setups. More recently, also Nissan Armadas, and a Toyota Tundra. The RR 3L Diesel is probably far better engine wise than these gassers.

I can tell you that I have never seen an SUV-Airstream setup where the driver has not been fully aware of the setup and is paying very close attention to weight distribution etc. On the other hand, we have seen occasionally careless setups that were pulled with non-SUVs where we just had goosebumps because the trailer / truck combination was clearly out of whack. Situation awareness is the name of the game and I think that SUV TV drivers are usually very careful. Of course, the vast majority of all Airstreamers independent of their TV are responsible and very much aware of how their rigs are set up (do not want to step on someone's toes here)...
Old 11-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #564
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Greg. There is so little towing difference between a 25&30. Pretty much anything you read about towing a 25 or 27 applies to a 30 as well.

We have several customers tow 34’s with these and there are even some towing box trailers.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #565
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I might steel a couple of those photos! Thanks for the update.

I was told you will still be able to manually downshift for engine braking it just won’t do it automatically. I haven’t driven a updated one yet.

Andy

Old 11-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #566
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
As a Honda Ridgeline owner I like this thread just ‘cause. And I love those photos and am adding those spots to our map. Thanks.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #567
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Greg. There is so little towing difference between a 25&30. Pretty much anything you read about towing a 25 or 27 applies to a 30 as well.

We have several customers tow 34’s with these and there are even some towing box trailers.

Andy
Thanks Andy! I would really like to bring my rig up to you and make sure I have the setup that is needed to tow my combination correctly.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #568
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Hi Ghaag, you will probably learn a lot from reading this endless thread and will get to know all kinds of opinions about tongue weight, sway, limits, and general weight distribution when setting up the rig.

We have seen a couple of Jeeps pulling various Airstreams during our trips including at least one sighting of a 27/28ft. Andy from Can-AM RV has been providing lots of insight into different setups. More recently, also Nissan Armadas, and a Toyota Tundra. The RR 3L Diesel is probably far better engine wise than these gassers.

I can tell you that I have never seen an SUV-Airstream setup where the driver has not been fully aware of the setup and is paying very close attention to weight distribution etc. On the other hand, we have seen occasionally careless setups that were pulled with non-SUVs where we just had goosebumps because the trailer / truck combination was clearly out of whack. Situation awareness is the name of the game and I think that SUV TV drivers are usually very careful. Of course, the vast majority of all Airstreamers independent of their TV are responsible and very much aware of how their rigs are set up (do not want to step on someone's toes here)...
Thanks for your sharing your thoughts!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #569

Menlo Park , California
Quote:
I might steel a couple of those photos! Thanks for the update.

I was told you will still be able to manually downshift for engine braking it just won’t do it automatically. I haven’t driven a updated one yet.

Andy
No problem Andy
Yes, I think that manually downshifting will be the way to go. Kinda stupid from the EPA to demand removal of this feature though, but well...
Old 11-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #570
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
They work at the EPA not NASA.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #571
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Smile Nice Photos!

Knuff, Thanks for posting your pictures! They are inspiring... can't wait to get out there!
Kirk
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #572
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Woodinville , WA
Weiser, Idaho

Waiting for the eclipse last August. First summer towing a 2008 17 foot Safari Sport with a 2012 VW Touareg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	301084  
Phil Krogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #573
Fata Morgana

2023 30' Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Zeeland , Michigan
Touareg 2017 Wolfsburg Edition, 3950 miles for sale

Please see my very descriptive add under the Classified section in this Air Forum if interested in this essentially (almost) new VW Touareg at a very attractive price. Having to sell due to health even before our 2018 Airstream 25ft International Signature was delivered after purchasing the vehicle in August of 2017
Thanks
Mark
tusocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #574
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Impact of EPA "enhancements" on VW TDI?

The VW 3.0 litre TDI recall including EPA "enhancements" will soon be coming to Canadian VW dealers & owners. I am interested in the experience of our southern neighbours who have had the "enhancements" applied. What has been your experience? Mileage? AdBlue? Shift points? Downhill braking? Other?

Thanks in advance.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #575
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I’m not doing the “fix” on my 2015 cayenne. I consider it a perfect tow vehicle and I don’t want anything changed on it. Been pulling a 27fc-fb for the last year @ between 5 and 10k miles. No issues and no problems pulling. Still get 18-20 mpg @ 60 mph. Truly a very enjoyable and stable tow. Can’t wait to get back out
foster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #576

Menlo Park , California
On our last trip, I found that fuel consumption increased noticeably. About 2miles less per gallon when towing. Still, this is pretty good but somewhat disappointing knowing that the fuel economy was better before the fix. Downhill driving while towing also requires more attention because the assist function when set to Sport automatic does no longer help, and it is safer to just shift manually (as Andy suggested).
But 10k are now invested in index funds.... the fix was not only a software update though. They installed some parts and replaced sections of the exhaust system, I believe. Add blue consumption is supposed to increase as well, but because there is no gauge, it is hard to tell by how much at this point. Need to wait for the next fill up.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #577
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Thanks foster2 and Knuff. I plan to monitor other user experiences until I am forced to make a decision whether or not to proceed with the fix. Getting license plates here depends upon a clean exhaust system test on vehicles over 7 years old so I think that I am OK on that front for awhile.

I remain thrilled with the current performance of our Touareg and perhaps like foster2 I have a very low tolerance for any negative impacts.

The Canadian letter I received from VW does not talk about the compensation. However $10K would certainly help with my solar / battery upgrade plans and possible increased fuel costs. My letter does describe the fix as emissions control software and exhaust-system-specific hardware. Impacts are described in general, “on average”.

I will update the thread if I have any findings that may help the discussion.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #578
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
Who’s pulling a longer AS approx 30’ with a Cayenne, and how does that compared to towing with a pick up? Also what’s your set up mods etc?
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #579
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We have many customers who tow 30’s & 34’s with Cayennes & Touaregs. If you tow a 25 and then a 30 you will be hard pressed to notice any difference between them.

Compared to a pickup both ride and handling are far better. You just can’t carry as much stuff. The Cayenne is far more maneuverable, you can put a 30 in a site you won’t get a 25 into with a truck. Of course the Cayenne is much safer as well.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #580
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
Quote:
We have many customers who tow 30’s & 34’s with Cayennes & Touaregs. If you tow a 25 and then a 30 you will be hard pressed to notice any difference between them.

Compared to a pickup both ride and handling are far better. You just can’t carry as much stuff. The Cayenne is far more maneuverable, you can put a 30 in a site you won’t get a 25 into with a truck. Of course the Cayenne is much safer as well.
Lol Andy I knew you’d say that. I’ve been emailing with your colleague Philip who has been super helpful. I’m curious what the end users are saying. Thanks!!
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote