Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #501
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
More Resources on N-Spec, Tire Age, Replacement, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
Please note that the Porsche has N rated tires and they have had to be special ordered for me each time. Discount tire and their insurance is amazing, but I had to tell them I wanted the N rated tires as not everyone is trained on the Porsce's needs.
To emphasize what MsTara is saying & add some things - you need to ask for the N Spec (they go N, N1, N2, etc. for spec updates over time).

Also note, that the tire makers make the same tire model/size as non-N Spec (usually cheaper), & unknowing tire shops will just put on the cheaper non-N-Spec version. These won't perform the same as N-Spec, may wear faster, fail easier, etc.

You should also make sure to ask & request tires which are recently manufactured, & not what is sitting in a warehouse - sometimes for years, so you can be sold a "new" tire(s) which is actually 2-3+ years old, & which has now lost lifespan with aging. Most mfgrs. of both cars/trucks & tires & the safety institute recommend 8 years max. age.

A couple of other Cayenne & sibling points, which I've gleened from Porsche/PCA Tech Sessions/Articles from "real Porsche engineers" - are:

1 - You must replace both tires per axle at the same time unless miles are below the mfgr. limit (IIRC Porsche says <80%) per your owners manual - so don't assume it's okay to just replace the damaged/flat tire, as it can damage the suspension & drive components, which repairs would cost more than the extra tire!

2 - Cayennes, siblings & most AWDs require a 4 wheel alignment per the schedule in your owners manual &/or when there has been any incident to offset the alignment (hit a curb hard, off-roading, race/AX balancing, etc.), & IIRC the Cayenne is annually or a max. miles (which I don't recall offhand), & not doing so will cause both tire & suspension wear &/or damage.

So either of the above not done, can cause the tires to wear &/or fail prematurely, as well as causing other mechanical damage to expensive to repair SUVs.

Always physically check every tire after installation for both the N-Spec & date of manufacture in the oval with the DOT date code, to make sure that they followed your request.

Tire Date Code:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Porsche N-Spec:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=26

More Tire Tech Info:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...ch.jsp?tab=All

There are more tech articles on tire aging, matching tires/minimum replacement, etc. at the tire tech section link above.

Be Safe!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #502
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Exclamation WARNING Cayenne V8 Timing Bolt Failures!

This is a serious engine destroying issue that I just became aware of this morning, & if you own a Cayenne S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S with the 4.8L V8 - or the Panamera with the same motors - then you need to have this issue checked for the faulting Aluminum with Steel Pin Timing Bolts, & replace if they do. Do NOT drive the car if it has the bad bolts, but get it to your nearest Porsche Dealer & negotiate how they cover you for this defect.

It's known as Porsche's WC-22 Campaign for this item, & the bolt failure can lead to total engine failure, loss of power on the road in dangerous situations, etc., etc.

Please read up on this issue at the links below - check or have checked your Cayenne V8's timing bolts - even if it's out of Porsche's stated range of dates & engine p/n's because there have been some out of their range found already.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

http://www.fifthgear.biz/fifthgear-b...adjuster-bolts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2VA/edit#gid=0

There are more out there, if you google for it -

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pors...utf-8&oe=utf-8

This is shades of coolant pipe failures, & IMS failures, & ....

No Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 04-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #503
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Which Michelins? Been looking at Premier LTX to replace the OEM Goodyears. Appreciate your experience. Pat
Pat, Sorry for the delay. I have been Airstreaming the last few weeks.

Michelin Latitude Tour HP 255 /50 R19 107H XL BSW MB

What a great overall tire and a considerable upgrade from the OEM tires. My wife even noticed the difference.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #504
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

First it was IMS bearing failure that would destroy 911 engines and now another catastrophic engine destroying failure being reported on panamera and cayenne models. Yikes! This keeps me from owning a Porsche, unfortunately. Love the cars but don't own one out of warrantee it would seem.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #505
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
-- snip --
Michelin Latitude Tour HP 255 /50 R19 107H XL BSW MB -- snip --wife even noticed the difference.
Got it. The Latitudes are one of the tires available for our wheel size. Thanks much for the information. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #506
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Got it. The Latitudes are one of the tires available for our wheel size. Thanks much for the information. Pat
+1 I've been using Michelin Lattitudes for the past ten years. Great tires.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #507
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Link to Cayenne WC-22 Cam Adjuster Recall Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
This is a serious engine destroying issue that I just became aware of this morning, & if you own a Cayenne S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S with the 4.8L V8 - or the Panamera with the same motors - then you need to have this issue checked for the faulting Aluminum with Steel Pin Timing Bolts, & replace if they do. Do NOT drive the car if it has the bad bolts, but get it to your nearest Porsche Dealer & negotiate how they cover you for this defect.

It's known as Porsche's WC-22 Campaign for this item, & the bolt failure can lead to total engine failure, loss of power on the road in dangerous situations, etc., etc.

Please read up on this issue at the links below - check or have checked your Cayenne V8's timing bolts - even if it's out of Porsche's stated range of dates & engine p/n's because there have been some out of their range found already.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

http://www.fifthgear.biz/fifthgear-b...adjuster-bolts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2VA/edit#gid=0

There are more out there, if you google for it -

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pors...utf-8&oe=utf-8

This is shades of coolant pipe failures, & IMS failures, & ....

No Cheers!
Tom
///////
Just a quick update on this Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure issue, after having a chance to read up on it a bit more this week, after the zoo I had on other stuff last week.

Since they didn't sell the Cayenne GTS & Turbo S in the 2011 & 2012 MYs, they're not a concern - unless the later replacement/superceded part with the new bolts prove to be a problem as age & miles stack up on the 2013-14> Cayennes - & Panamera V8s & V6s are included too.

Also, the steel pin in the aluminum bolt was incorrect, as the bolts failing are all aluminum, & the replacement bolts may be either aluminum or titanium but without the security pin in the middle of the tool recess to prevent anyone from tampering with it with an improper tool.

In China Porsche did a full recall on the Cay V8 (S & T) & Pana V6 & V8 (S & T) of all 14750 2011 (& 2012?) cars sold there, & a full service campaign in Japan - initially only 2011 in 4/30/13 & then expanded to 2012 on 3/31/15 on the Cay V8 (S & T) & Pana V6 & V8 (S & T) of all 2011 & 2012 cars sold there - while the USA is still limited to only some 2011 Cayenne S & Turbo & Pana S & Turbo & V6 (same motor as in base Cayenne BTW).

Since there have been failures in the Cay & Pana V8s in all of 2011 & early 2012 MY cars - IIRC 18 reported failures at last count - & since NHTSA is now actively investigating it - you can expect this issue to expand to more cars - either Porsche voluntarily or forced by NHTSA. Shades of IMS bearing & 2003-06 Cay V8 plastic coolant pipes IMHO!

Why worry? Well on both cars, when the bolts holding on the cam adjusters fail, you'll lose either/both your power steering &/or power brakes depending on which bank of cylinders' cam fails since those are driven off the rear of the cams L & R sides - in addition to possibly having a complete engine shutdown at speed on the road or possible total engine destruction.

This is apparently also related to the similar bolts failing on the BMW VANOS cam adjusters - which are made by the same OEM Hilite & it's predecessors - for you X5 types out there, which is under a recall to replace those defective bolts.

I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I certainly don't want to be our towing our Avion & lose brakes, power steering nor engine - so I will have any CayS we consider buying checked for the defective screws & go from there to get them changed out!

Fortunately it's easy enough for a non-tech person to check them - or have your trusted mechanic to this actual physical look-see - by taking off the oil/access caps at the front end of both cam covers, then use a dental mirror or a small auto examination mirror & your cell camera or other camera to snap some pix on each side.

You'll want a pic of the 4 bolts/screws on inset of the cam adjuster using the mirror - & if they have a pin sticking up in the tool recess - then they're the bad ones; &/or you'll also want a pic of the Porsche part number on the "barrel" area of the cam adjuster part - if it ends in -021 then you have the bad part, if -022 or -023 or later, then it's the corrected part & not a problem (so far).

If you have the bad screws/bolts or part number, then I recco that you do NOT drive it, but rather have it towed to Porsche for corrective action. If it's under their current limited WC-22 campaign, then they may repair & replace under the new car, Porsche CPO or Emissions Warranty - but many won't do so until it completely fails & then it may also take out your engine due to fragments damage.

If they won't, or if you're not under the limited VIN range for WC-22, then you can have it done at your cost pre-emtively & hope to get a legally required post facto reimbursement if NHTSA forces a formal recall (must be done by Porsche dealer or per their standards with their parts).

I say don't drive it if you have the defective parts, cuz a blown engine can result unexpectedly & without warning - even if it's been running fine up until then. One guy on the 6speedonline website bought a 2011 used recently after a Porsche dealer did a paid PPI, he drove it day 1 with no problems, day 2 the engine blew due to failed bolts! PCNA & the dealer haven't yet come forward to cover the $30-35K new motor for him.

I strongly urge any Cayenne V8 owners - to go read up on this at the 6speedonline & RennList links I gave in my original post quoted above - & even the V6 folks should do so too (why would only the Japan & China market Panamera V6s be a problem when built on the same line as the Cayenne V6!!??).

Here is a link to the actual WC-22 Porsche document, & the China & Japan recalls area also linked in the 6speedonline web topic linked above.

WC22 032013 Revision 1 Cayenne.pdf

Do NOT presume that if your car is not on their current WC-22 VIN list that it is okay - cuz there are already MANY cases of the defective part outside of that VIN range! Look at your parts or have your mechanic do so.

I really have to say, that this yet another V/A/P QC & defect debacle has me seriously thinking about going with a Toyota Sequoyah instead.

Good Luck & Check Your Dang Engines!
Tom
///////
Old 05-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #508
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
You Cayenne TDI folks will get a kick out of this!

http://autoweek.com/article/wait-the...ow-airbus-a380

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #509
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
They pulled the A380 with a gasoline powered Turbo S too!
http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsc...n-airbus-a380/
Old 05-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #510
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
You need to change the towing capacity in your signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
They pulled the A380 with a gasoline powered Turbo S too!
http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsc...n-airbus-a380/
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #511

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Virginia
Newbie here, 2018 Q7 on order and supposed to arrive in August. I'm looking at a 27 FB.

I spoke by phone with Andy at Can Am and got all the assurance I need to feel comfortable towing the airstream as long as the bracing is installed for the standard hitch.

I'm located in Richmond Virginia and was just wondering if there someplace I can go closer to home to have this work done instead of driving all the way into Canada.

I'll go to Canada if I have to, just trying to save some distance.

This seems to be a great forum and I'm learning a lot.

Thanks to everyone!
tahiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #512
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
It will be quite hard to replace Andy T's expertise. Plus, we'd love to have you visit London! Come on up!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #513
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
I know that Andy had supplied the info & "coaching" to other members on the West Coast to do the mods locally out here, so I'm sure if you can find a good trailer repair or auto welding shop locally, that they can duplicate the adaption with Andy's help.

However, beware that the mods may cause you issues with any new car warranty issues related to that adaptation of the hitch.

You don't say whether you got the V6 or V8 (if still available from Audi), but you may experience the engine/trans working more on grades & it would get less mpg with V6 instead of V8 - but the tow ratings are the same for both engines, & Cayenne/Taureg are also all the same except for the heavier Hybrid (& Q7 a bit less than their 7716 lbs. due to longer & heavier)

PS - Go back to the start of this thread & look for the posts related to those who had Andy's help to do it locally, as an FYI.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #514
ARF
ARF

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Breckenridge , CO
Inflatable spare experience share

Want to share our experience using the inflatable spare tire in our 2015 Audi Q5. We tow a 2017 27FB with the hitch work set up by CanAM.

We have been full-timing for 10 months and crossed the Continental Divide and several other passes many times without incident. Car tows flawlessly - just go down the passes same speed we climb the passes.

This week our front left tire blew out and shredded while driving on I80 towards Reno. Must have had a puncture. The TPMS low pressure warning came on, and I hoped to make it to an exit 3 miles ahead, but the air pressure dropped fast and the rim shredded the tire. Lesson learned: pull over immediately.

None of the nearby tire stores had the proper tire size, let alone our specific tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde XL). Found a Discount Tire in Reno that had four in stock.

We were still 135 miles from Reno and temps were over 100 degrees. The Discount Tire manager suggested we keep the speed at 50 mph and stop every 50 miles for 20 minutes to let the spare cool. (BTW - if the blown tire was on the rear, we obviously would have put a good tire on the back and moved the spare to the front due to the hitch weight).

We made it to Reno just fine. I80 did go down to one lane for a few miles and the folks stuck behind us were not too pleased, but that was there problem.

Also, shout out to Discount Tire in Reno - we limped in just before closing but they stayed open and had us out the door in 20 minutes. Did not even need to unhitch. Even though we had less than 12K miles on the tires, we did have to buy four new ones because the tread wear was greater than 2.5/32nds. But Discount Tire's price was about 1/3 less than what I paid at a specialty German aftermarket dealer in Albuquerque.
ARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #515
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF View Post
Want to share our experience using the inflatable spare tire in our 2015 Audi Q5. We tow a 2017 27FB with the hitch work set up by CanAM.

We have been full-timing for 10 months and crossed the Continental Divide and several other passes many times without incident. Car tows flawlessly - just go down the passes same speed we climb the passes.

This week our front left tire blew out and shredded while driving on I80 towards Reno. Must have had a puncture. The TPMS low pressure warning came on, and I hoped to make it to an exit 3 miles ahead, but the air pressure dropped fast and the rim shredded the tire. Lesson learned: pull over immediately.

ARF similar experience here using the temporary spare for a short drive. It was the rear for us and I pulled over immediately. The TPMS chimed a warning and 1 second later showed -10psi so that was enough for me. We did the swap and moved a good tire to the back and put the temp spare on the front.

Got lucky (on a Sunday afternoon no less) finding a correct size / load 20" tire locally and then proceeded on to NOLA with a big sigh or relief. The day was not done with us yet though. About 30 minutes after getting back on the road some idiot side swiped the rear of the AS just behind the axle. Luckily not much damage although he ended up at the side of the road I assume with a puncture. Can't say I was sorry.

I used to carry a full size spare but stopped doing that this year after I inspected the spare and saw that it was 106 P rated (2096lbs and 93 mph). My Cayenne real axle load is about 3200 towing so weight is surprisingly not an issue. Speed however is mandated at 50 mph max so we got off the interstate immediately and headed to a few tire shops.

I usually really enjoy towing but after this trip I certainly needed a couple of cold ones to wrap up the day.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2494.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	288064
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #516
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
My Cayenne real axle load is about 3200 towing so weight is surprisingly not an issue.
My rear axel is at the limit of 3913 lbs when towing my 25' FC. How is it that you're only at 3200 with a 27' FB?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #517
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
I used to carry a full size spare but stopped doing that this year after I inspected the spare and saw that it was 106 P rated (2096lbs and 93 mph). My Cayenne real axle load is about 3200 towing so weight is surprisingly not an issue. Speed however is mandated at 50 mph max so we got off the interstate immediately and headed to a few tire shops.
Attachment 288064
I think you & ARF would be well served to go back to carrying a full sized spare while towing, since the Porsche collapsible spares (& Audi) are also range limited - in addition to speed limited.

Also, the spares are 17" or 18" rims, so the diameter/circumference can be different - depending on which wheels you're running, whereas you can match the ful sized spare to your wheels exactly.

At least with a regular matching you can safely run as far as needed in normal driving, to get to where the replacement tires can be found.

Also, with a full size spare, plus the collapsible, you've got back-up if you should hit debris taking out 2 tires (had it happen on my BMW in the NM desert once - not towing).

Just a Thot!
Tom
///////
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #518
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
My rear axel is at the limit of 3913 lbs when towing my 25' FC. How is it that you're only at 3200 with a 27' FB?

Just looked back at my most recent scale weight and it's about 3300 so I misspoke on the 3200.

I have moved the batteries to the rear and made some other mods.

My tongue weight fully loaded is about 740lbs (compared to 900 as weighed from the factory) with weight distribution applied, this reduces to about 640. The 3300 lbs is with 2 adults in the front and our 14 year old and dog in the back. Lots of WD applied to get this, front axle load is close to max but I find it handles much better with more weight off the back (closer to the intended 50/50 front to rear split). Note that the 27 from the factory is one of the lightest tongue weights, lighter than the 25.

What is your front axle load when WD is applied?
Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #519
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
My tongue weight fully loaded is about 740lbs (compared to 900 as weighed from the factory) with weight distribution applied, this reduces to about 640.
You have a fine WDS system but isn't 640 lbs <10% of the trailer weight? Any issues with sway?
Quote:
Note that the 27 from the factory is one of the lightest tongue weights, lighter than the 25.
I thought it was designed that way with the expectation that storage under the bed would bring the tongue up more or less in line with a rear bed design.
Quote:
What is your front axle load when WD is applied?
About 3,000 so it's up about 100 from the base weight. I'm not happy as I can't get my Husky hitch to transfer more weight to the front.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #520
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
You have a fine WDS system but isn't 640 lbs <10% of the trailer weight? Any issues with sway?
The unhitched tongue weight is right around 10% with the Eaz-Lift so you are right - its on the low side. I was towing with a ProPride for the last 2 seasons - with that setup tongue is about 110lbs higher.

The weights I gave however are with an Eaz-Lift hitch I'm trying out (I like to experiment - am I drinking the ProPride Cool-Aid or are they really better?).

So far so good but the jury is still out. Current plan is to run the Eaz-Lift for this season and then write up a comparison in the Hitch forum. We will see if it stays on for a full season or not. No "sway" but definitely more "active" than the PP. As many have commented, the PP towing experience provides for total stability, completely serene. Playing around with TV rear tire pressure and the amount of friction anti-sway applied right now to dial it in.

Quote:
I thought it was designed that way with the expectation that storage under the bed would bring the tongue up more or less in line with a rear bed design.
Correct, but you don't have to load up under the bed. Use other storage / closet areas. I'm currently carrying a Honda EU2000, small BBQ, clothes, 2 chairs and a 30A cord in the under bed / front storage so maybe 125 lbs total.

Quote:
About 3,000 so it's up about 100 from the base weight. I'm not happy as I can't get my Husky hitch to transfer more weight to the front.
What kind of Husky hitch do you have?

Definitely sounds like you need some more WD on there. I see about 420 added to the front, 520 off the rear and 100 to the trailer with WD cranked on. If possible, try leaning the ball rearward, you should have as much rear tilt as possible which will allow more WD application. Adjust the head, hitch up, then jack the trailer and TV up to the max height using the AS jack and apply as much WD as possible. You can use the Andy's (Can-Am) method to see how much WD is applied - measure from ground to top of wheel arch at each wheel unloaded and then when hitched and WD applied. You are shooting for equal squat front and rear. I get about 5/8" squat front and rear with just the AS and no people. I have the steel spring suspension. This requires a LOT of WD tension to get it like this.

Post some pictures of your hitch setup.