Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #481
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Actually, in this situation he did not reinforce that hitch but cautioned that he would normally have done that. I believe he stressed that he used a WD system with torsion bars that had lots of travel to minimize the forces acting on the vehicle frame. This specific situation was not the ideal set up. More interesting reading here which addresses some of the conversation above...

http://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hitc...esel-suvs-414/

Enjoy
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #482
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Great article about the Cayenne but almost no information on the hitch setup. Andy reinforced the hitch. That's what he does. But he doesn't give us any numbers justifying the reinforcement. Also, no numbers describing the WD hitch setup.
I think CanAm does quite a bit more than just reinforce hitches when they set up a customer vehicle.

If they had reinforced this one, wouldn't the justification be that the stock hitch was rated for xx, and they wanted to strengthen it to handle yy to ensure their was sufficient tongue weight? This considers that the setup would be based on remaining within the published axle weight ratings. It isn't a vehicle reinforcement, it is a hitch receiver reinforcement.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #483
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
What about those Continental tires?

Hey, have we argued about those tires yet on those fancy sports SUV's pulling an AS trailer? Are they rated for towing or does it even make a difference if you tow with speed rated tires? Seems to me, that discussion is important also? Not to stir the pot!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #484
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hey, have we argued about those tires yet on those fancy sports SUV's pulling an AS trailer? Are they rated for towing or does it even make a difference if you tow with speed rated tires? Seems to me, that discussion is important also? Not to stir the pot!
It's a slow morning so I'll bite:

Continental Extreme Contact 275/45 ZR20 110W XL. The 110 is the tow rating and the W is the speed rating. Using this handy chart from Tire Rack Link you can see that a load index of 110 corresponds to a load capacity of 2337 pounds double for the second tire and you have a tire load capacity of 4674 pounds on the rear axle which is well above 3693 pound rear axle max load capacity for a Cayenne. Speed rated tires are fine as long your tires have the proper load rating for your towing requirements.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #485
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Most of the performance tires that come with Touaregs & Porsches are a soft compound that work great speeding through the corners but wear fast and tend to pick up things like nails and screws.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #486
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
... and are low profile tires that provide better stability than high profile tires.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #487
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
The decal on my OEM Cayenne hitch lists a WC of 616lbs and a WD of 616lbs. Based on this info one should not use weight distribution on a Cayenne of my model year to tow a trailer with a tongue weight greater than 616lbs. Because there is no mention of WD in the towing section of my owner's manual, I choose not to use WD. Regardless of the legal status of WD hitches in Europe, I'm quite certain that Porsche would include WD recommendations for North American owners in the towing section of the owner's manual if significant gains in safety and performance were realized by using a WD hitch on a Cayenne.
Mike - I never said that anyone should exceed the rated limits for any TV just because they had WD, nor on the CAy/Treg/Q7 trio.

I said that the hitches do in fact state a WD rating, which means that you can in fact use a WD hitch within the stated limits.

"by Mojo:
Towing weight on Touaregs has been 7700 lbs since 2004, regardless of whether it's a V6, V8, or V10, gas or diesel, even though GVW are different. Hitch design and weights are different in Europe, which is suggested at 8% of tow weight, which is 616 lbs. In US, suggested hitch weight is 10%, or 770 lbs on Touareg. I called VW NA and they sent me a hitch weight sticker that said 770lbs.

But believe and do what you want. After 8 years towing with a V8 and a V10, I never lost a hitch using just the ball and/or a hensley."

Also as MoJo said about the Tregs with which he's towed, the Euro & USA hitch stickers are different, because the German TUV (like DOT) has their standards which the EU recognizes, & the USA has the SAE standard which DOT recognizes.

All Cayennes except the Hybrids have also always been rated at 7716 lbs, & 770 lbs HW - & you can contact your local Porsche dealer for the USA DOT sticker, as Mojo did with VW.

If your Cay was factory fitted with the hitch, then it would often have the Euro sticker, while those who had the P-dealer add it or buy it from Porsche parts, then they'd likely have the US-DOT version.

As for tire & wheel sizes, most prefer the 18-19" rims size for comfort, grip & those who off-road, while the Ricky Racers of the world seem to prefer the 21-22" wheels with very low profile tires & the resulting harder ride, your 20"ers are in the middle of that.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of 20" vs. your other 19" ones after awhile running them!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #488
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The Porsche N-spec tires for the Cayennes & Macans are rated for towing (unless stated otherwise in the specs, e.g.: for track oriented tires), per the "official" Porsche Engineers at one of our SoCal PCA PCNA/Porsche AG Tech sessions.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #489
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
Actually, in this situation he did not reinforce that hitch but cautioned that he would normally have done that. I believe he stressed that he used a WD system with torsion bars that had lots of travel to minimize the forces acting on the vehicle frame. This specific situation was not the ideal set up. More interesting reading here which addresses some of the conversation above...

http://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hitc...esel-suvs-414/

Enjoy
Kevin
Kevin,

Just about a week ago, I too did post that article, as well as the Porsche Cayenne TDI one & a few others relevant to this discussion of P/A/V, BMW & MBZ SUVs, WD, Sway control etc. at post #447, as well as early in this now long topic.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1929736

If you want to read up on the others....

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #490
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Mike - I never said that anyone should exceed the rated limits for any TV just because they had WD, nor on the CAy/Treg/Q7 trio.

I said that the hitches do in fact state a WD rating, which means that you can in fact use a WD hitch within the stated limits.

"by Mojo:
Towing weight on Touaregs has been 7700 lbs since 2004, regardless of whether it's a V6, V8, or V10, gas or diesel, even though GVW are different. Hitch design and weights are different in Europe, which is suggested at 8% of tow weight, which is 616 lbs. In US, suggested hitch weight is 10%, or 770 lbs on Touareg. I called VW NA and they sent me a hitch weight sticker that said 770lbs.

But believe and do what you want. After 8 years towing with a V8 and a V10, I never lost a hitch using just the ball and/or a hensley."

Also as MoJo said about the Tregs with which he's towed, the Euro & USA hitch stickers are different, because the German TUV (like DOT) has their standards which the EU recognizes, & the USA has the SAE standard which DOT recognizes.

All Cayennes except the Hybrids have also always been rated at 7716 lbs, & 770 lbs HW - & you can contact your local Porsche dealer for the USA DOT sticker, as Mojo did with VW.

If your Cay was factory fitted with the hitch, then it would often have the Euro sticker, while those who had the P-dealer add it or buy it from Porsche parts, then they'd likely have the US-DOT version.

As for tire & wheel sizes, most prefer the 18-19" rims size for comfort, grip & those who off-road, while the Ricky Racers of the world seem to prefer the 21-22" wheels with very low profile tires & the resulting harder ride, your 20"ers are in the middle of that.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of 20" vs. your other 19" ones after awhile running them!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Tom, that was Ohiobrits who switched from 19 to the 20 inch wheels. I doubt he'll notice much difference in ride quality except the fact that he's not on winter tires anymore. My Turbo S came from the factory with P275/40R20's and the air suspension is sport tuned. I'll be honest, its stiff and just a little bumpy. Not 911 bumpy but nowhere near as smooth as my Avalon. A little more sidewall would be nice driving around town.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
My Macan came with Continentals, those tires were horrible to drive with after you hit 15k. I also had 3 different flat tires on them in that time. I got rid of them and moved to Michelin. So far they have driven amazing and I am at 35k.

I like the wheels! Same story with the factory Continentals on my ML350. Blow out on I80 middle of the night 50 miles from Iowa City. Less than 20k new Michelins the next morning. Big difference in overall feel and ride.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #492
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I like the wheels! Same story with the factory Continentals on my ML350. Blow out on I80 middle of the night 50 miles from Iowa City. Less than 20k new Michelins the next morning. Big difference in overall feel and ride.
Which Michelins? Been looking at Premier LTX to replace the OEM Goodyears. Appreciate your experience. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #493
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
The Porsche N-spec tires for the Cayennes & Macans are rated for towing (unless stated otherwise in the specs, e.g.: for track oriented tires), per the "official" Porsche Engineers at one of our SoCal PCA PCNA/Porsche AG Tech sessions.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
I can't edit this link into my post above this late, so here is the link to the page for the Porsche Tire Approvals, just click on Summer or Winter for the pdf file, then look for your Cayenne, Macan or other model (there is a similar list in Porsche's Classic section for the older model, like my `73 914-2.0 "914S" - in addition to what is on here).

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori.../tyreapproval/

For VW Tiguan/Touareg, Audi Q5/Q7 owners - there are separate "Spec" for Audi (not sure about VW), but the Cayenne list will give you a good idea of which will work on yours, although you could probably buy the "plain ole non-N Spec" version of the same tires.

BMW & MBZ have their spec tires too I think.

I'm surprised at all of the Conti failures on here from Cayenne owners, since they used to be top notch tires!

Although, I know many of our Cayenne owners out here have said that they wear fast on the Cayenne, due to the softer compound - so checking the "AB" wear code & "000" tire compound softness rating will help foretell how well they'll wear - the lower 000 number, the faster they'll wear.

I'm assuming that MsTara's Macan S tires were N-Spec, since they were on since new, as I understand it - so it's the soft compound = fast wear issue.

Out of curiousity - were the Conti's which failed, as in blow out, the N-Spec Porsche version, or the "plain vanilla" version?

.... or other applicable car makers' Spec for the MBZ, etc. failures?

If the plain version failed, then that makes me think that it's worth the extra cost for them.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #494
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
My Macan came with Continentals, those tires were horrible to drive with after you hit 15k. I also had 3 different flat tires on them in that time. I got rid of them and moved to Michelin. So far they have driven amazing and I am at 35k.
MsTara gets a prize, less than 1000 miles and my first puncture. Tire was a total loss due to the location of the hole. The TPMS alerted me to slow down which I'd did very quickly - it was leaking fast. Had to find a 275/45 ZR20 with sufficient load capacity - on a Sunday. All worked out OK and got back on the road in a few hours but not how I wanted to spend my morning.

Then some idiot hit the back of the AS - minor damage only - but that's another story.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #495
Rivet Master

IMO worth to have tire insurance with such wide tires. I get mine from America's Tire ($40 or $45 per tire), even though I did not buy tires from them (275/20 front, 325/20 rear).
Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #496
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
MsTara gets a prize, less than 1000 miles and my first puncture. Tire was a total loss due to the location of the hole. The TPMS alerted me to slow down which I'd did very quickly - it was leaking fast. Had to find a 275/45 ZR20 with sufficient load capacity - on a Sunday. All worked out OK and got back on the road in a few hours but not how I wanted to spend my morning.

Then some idiot hit the back of the AS - minor damage only - but that's another story.
I am so sorry, not something I wanted to be right on. All 3 of my continental had zero repairability due to the internal damage, they all were torn up inside.

Please note that the Porsche has N rated tires and they have had to be special ordered for me each time. Discount tire and their insurance is amazing, but I had to tell them I wanted the N rated tires as not everyone is trained on the Porsce's needs.

Good luck and be safe out there.
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #497
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Back in the good old days you would bring the flat tire to a gas station and he would plug it for $2. Today, they tell you you a new tire for $250.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #498
Rivet Master

Nowadays they put run flats tires on cars and try to convince people that this is safer and changing the tire is rocket science. Some are buying this, some don't.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #499
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
Back in the good old days you would bring the flat tire to a gas station and he would plug it for $2. Today, they tell you you a new tire for $250.
I have plugged lots of tires (worked in a gas station) but an internal patch is a better fix.

The reason for not repairing a tire is that either the puncture is too close to the sidewall, or there is structural damage from running under inflated. That damage isn't always visible so tire repair shops err on the side of caution.

I had a flat in a RFT on a Z4. Drove slowly to a gas station and inflated it. Drove to my tire shop near home. It was down to 20 psi. They asked how far and how fast it had been driven, at what pressure, and advised it was fine to fix. If I had driven straight there at usual speeds, they would have declined to fix it. Many owners think RFT means usual operation, and destroy the tire after the puncture. Also, some tire manufacturers are more conservative than others, they all have slightly different guidelines.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #500
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

The puncture was within an inch of the edge of the tread on the curved area so the guy indicated it could not be repaired. Have a Mazzini fitted right now. If you have bad reviews I don't want to hear them. It will be coming off when I get home.

I bought the original Continentals from Tire Rack so have free Tire Hazard warranty. I'll call them up when I get back to see if I get a free replacement.

Made it to Gulf Shores today without further incident. Picture from the beach part way there today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	283286  
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote