Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #401
1 Rivet Member

Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakbuddy View Post
Getting a 2015 VW Touareg tdi to pull possible 5500 pound TT. Concerned about loss of driver assist, safety lane changing, and Adaptive Cruise Control features when towing. Does anyone have experience using these features while under tow? Thanks
I tow with a 2017 Audi Q7, which is a close cousin to the VW Toureg.
Most of the Driver Assist features still work when towing. One Driver Assist feature that does not work is the Pre Sense Rear system for detecting collisions from the rear.
The Lane Changing safety feature does not work when towing. Too bad, at it is awesome. Never before had it on a car.
The Adaptive Cruise Control does work when towing. Again this is awesome, and again, none of my previous cars had this.
David
davidjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #402
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakbuddy View Post
Getting a 2015 VW Touareg tdi to pull possible 5500 pound TT. Concerned about loss of driver assist, safety lane changing, and Adaptive Cruise Control features when towing. Does anyone have experience using these features while under tow? Thanks
I have the 2014 TDI version. Extended mirrors is/may be required for some state and that will be the only driver assist along w/ your co-pilot in the passenger side As for the other features, I can't comment since this is my first TV that I've owned that has so much bells and whistles
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #403
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
I tow a 20 ft Cloud rated at 5500 lbs with a 2016 Touareg TDi. Lane assist is the only feature that is disabled during towing. You will be impressed with how your Touareg handles adverse conditions. As already suggested, be sure to use a WD hitch and sway control when not traveling local, and put transmission in sport mode.
2011Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #404
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Centerville , Ohio
2013 VW Touareg TDI Prep Package

When I check VW website on hitches everything says don't do anything until the 1D6 trailer prep pkg is installed. My vehicle data sheet says the 1D8 trailer hitch prep pkg is installed. Do I really need to have the 1D6 or dealer equivalent installed? I read in one thread that the 1D8 is all you need. Any other options besides VW dealer installation?

I am planning on towing a 22 Ft. Bambi.

Thanks,
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #405
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Cloud View Post
I tow a 20 ft Cloud rated at 5500 lbs with a 2016 Touareg TDi. Lane assist is the only feature that is disabled during towing. You will be impressed with how your Touareg handles adverse conditions. As already suggested, be sure to use a WD hitch and sway control when not traveling local, and put transmission in sport mode.
Why use a WD hitch when the Touareg manual specifically says not to use a WD hitch? I tow with a Porsche Cayenne which shares the same chassis as a Touareg and would never consider WD or Sway control. That's right, I tow my 26ft Overlander with just the ball and chains with zero issues. My Cayenne is the Chuck Norris of tow vehicles. It's so stable that the semis shake when they pass me.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #406
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
Why use a WD hitch when the Touareg manual specifically says not to use a WD hitch? I tow with a Porsche Cayenne which shares the same chassis as a Touareg and would never consider WD or Sway control. That's right, I tow my 26ft Overlander with just the ball and chains with zero issues. My Cayenne is the Chuck Norris of tow vehicles. It's so stable that the semis shake when they pass me.

I don't know what your tongue weight is, but if it is 450 lbs or more you will benefit from a properly set up weight distribution hitch. For most modern AS trailers it is strongly recommended, the vast majority of people with these tow vehicles use WD for a reason - the handling dynamics of your Cayenne will be greatly improved. Sway control is a matter of choice but it is also strongly recommended. You don't need it until you do......

Happy camping.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #407
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Thumbs up

I've stated previously in this thread and will state it once more. We tow our 23D w/ Equalizer WD on our 2014 Touareg TDI. It benefits us and everyone around us while traveling
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #408
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
I tow with a Porsche Cayenne which shares the same chassis as a Touareg and would never consider WD or Sway control. That's right, I tow my 26ft Overlander with just the ball and chains with zero issues.
Do me a favor. Get the axel weights of your Cayenne. Then hitch up and weigh them again. That drop in weight on your front axel means that you're in an understeer situation. The concern is that the next time you need to make a sharp turn, perhaps in an emergency situation, your front tires will plow a bit before turning.

BTW, I also have self leveling air suspension but it does not correct the drop in weight on the front axel.

Quote:
My Cayenne is the Chuck Norris of tow vehicles. It's so stable that the semis shake when they pass me.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #409
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Do me a favor. Get the axel weights of your Cayenne. Then hitch up and weigh them again. That drop in weight on your front axel means that you're in an understeer situation. The concern is that the next time you need to make a sharp turn, perhaps in an emergency situation, your front tires will plow a bit before turning.

BTW, I also have self leveling air suspension but it does not correct the drop in weight on the front axel.

Not sure even Chuck Norris would want that risk with a family on board!
There was an interesting article in Trailer Life recently about keeping the TV wheel base longer when towing longer trailers for better control. I loved the Tahoe as an everyday driver, but the F150 as a TV, is much more stable with our 25', and of course, the EB power is noticeable. As some have noted, you can tow your AS with a VW Bug, but at highway speeds, not sure being safe is not the most important thing.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #410
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
I tow with a Mercedes ML350 Bluetech, and occasionally with a GMC Sierra 1500. The Mercedes is a far better tow vehicle, more stable, more powerful, bigger brakes and tires and better built in general than the GMC. The only thing the pickup has over the SUV is a stronger set of springs (I once loaded the bed with 3050 lbs), but that can be fixed with a weight distribution hitch.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #411
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure even Chuck Norris would want that risk with a family on board!
There was an interesting article in Trailer Life recently about keeping the TV wheel base longer when towing longer trailers for better control. I loved the Tahoe as an everyday driver, but the F150 as a TV, is much more stable with our 25', and of course, the EB power is noticeable. As some have noted, you can tow your AS with a VW Bug, but at highway speeds, not sure being safe is not the most important thing.
Wow! I take issue with the first line of your reply. It's just mean spirited and ill informed to imply that I am putting my family or anyone else at risk when I am towing my AS. The Porsche engineers in Stuttgart have determined, using sound methods of engineering, testing, and analysis, that my Cayenne has a safe towing capacity of 7700lbs and a max tongue weight of 750lbs. The Porsche engineers have also made it clear that one should NOT use a WD hitch with a Cayenne or Treg. As long as I am towing within the parameters established by the Porsche engineers, I am towing safely.

As for the second part of your post, nowhere did I say anything about pushing a vehicle beyond its rated capabilities so why you included the VW bug nonsense is beyond me.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #412
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
You made your point...

Quote:
Wow! I take issue with the first line of your reply. It's just mean spirited and ill informed to imply that I am putting my family or anyone else at risk when I am towing my AS. The Porsche engineers in Stuttgart have determined, using sound methods of engineering, testing, and analysis, that my Cayenne has a safe towing capacity of 7700lbs and a max tongue weight of 750lbs. The Porsche engineers have also made it clear that one should NOT use a WD hitch with a Cayenne or Treg. As long as I am towing within the parameters established by the Porsche engineers, I am towing safely.

As for the second part of your post, nowhere did I say anything about pushing a vehicle beyond its rated capabilities so why you included the VW bug nonsense is beyond me.
Sorry your so offended. Hope your towing experiences continue safely without issue using your Cayenne towing your 26' AS, without using the WDH.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #413
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
"The Porsche engineers have also made it clear that one should NOT use a WD hitch with a Cayenne or Treg."

I believe that the reason for Porsche's position is that WD hitches are illegal in Europe. It has nothing to do with whether they are beneficial or not.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #414
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
"The Porsche engineers have also made it clear that one should NOT use a WD hitch with a Cayenne or Treg."

I believe that the reason for Porsche's position is that WD hitches are illegal in Europe. It has nothing to do with whether they are beneficial or not.
That's just a completely wild guess Mergatroyd
I know more about fungal genetics than chassis and hitch design, but here is my attempt to explain:
The Cayenne and Touareg have a unibody frame construction so the hitch bolts directly into the rear of the vehicle rather than at various points along the frame. A WDH has leverage forces that pry against the downward force of the trailer tongue to level out the rear of the vehicle and the trailer. This lever force can possibly rip the hitch off the back of the Cayenne or Touareg. Over leverage (that is a weight distribution system rated for more tongue or hitch weight), in very rare cases, has even been known to bend the frame of the tow vehicle.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #415
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post

Correct - if one bothers to look at the sticker on your factory Treg/Q7/Cayenne hitch - it actually gives BOTH undistributed & weight distributed trailer & hitch weights.

Moreover, I do not think that they can limit not using WD/AS on their vehicles (nor should they, even if they can do so legally), since it is proven to be far safer to tow with, rather than on a bare ball - as some apparently insist on doing based upon an unknowledgeable dealer sales or service person telling them so without their actually checking beyond the inappropriately written/translated owner's manual -, &/or failing to research the matter further, nor to look at their hitch rating sticker.

Also, if one bothers to read since the start of this now rather long but highly valuable topic - this subject has been covered several times now.

WD is legally prohibited in Europe because back in the 1960's the European trailer manufacturers were afraid that AS & other bigger US & Canadian trailer makers would come over there, if owners could use WD hitches, so they lobbied Germany & all of the other European & UK countries to prohibit WD, which the EU has continued in force today!

Airstream countered by building lighter small trailers for that market, thumbing their noses to the Euro/UK makers, & continue today.

To be absolutely clear - your Touareg, Cayenne, Audi Q7 (& the BMW, MBZ equivalents) can use WD & Anti-sway hitches!!!!

Andy T at CanAm has also set them all up with it routinely, & even he recommends WD/AS hitches for any trailer within their rated towing limits.

"2013 VW Touareg TDI Prep Package http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...18#post1928518 Posted by: TBDub On: When I check VW website on hitches everything says don't do anything until the 1D6 trailer prep pkg is installed. My vehicle data sheet says the 1D8 trailer hitch prep pkg is installed. Do I really need to have the 1D6 or dealer equivalent installed? I read in one thread that the 1D8 is all you need. Any other options besides VW dealer installation? I am planning on towing a 22 Ft. Bambi. Thanks,"

TBdub asked above if they should get the factory hitch for their Treg - YES!
The advantage for any of the 3 VW/Audi/Porsche cousins, is that the factory hitch is specifically designed to attache to the engineered parts ot their vehicles (an aftermarket hitch may not), & the factory hitch included the parts needed for them to automatically detect when you're hitched up & towing & put it into tow mode - which I don't think the aftermarket hitches do from other Cayenne owners in our SoCal PCA have said.

CanAm's Andy did a "Hitch Hints" article specifically on a Porsche Cayenne TDI with a 26-30 AS a few years back - which would also be just as relevant to the Touareg & Q7 & any Cayenne with any engine - to which I posted the link earlier in this topic.

So rather than my re-posting it here, I'm going to force you people to actually go back & read through this topic for this subject, find that link, & go read the dang article yourselves, & stop all this silly rehashing!

As for us - we already have had the Hensley Cub on our 1960 Avion T20 (+/- 3000-3500# wet & loaded), & the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller also on the trailer - & we've used them on many rented TVs since 2012 - both a similar sized 2013 Nissan Pathfinders & F250s/150 & Dodge/RAM 2500s with great success, & we WILL be using them whenever we find our "perfect" used `08-14 Cayenne S dadgummit!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #416
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
PS - I really wish that car dealers would bother to require their sales & service personnel to either learn & know their vehicle offerings' towing capabilities - or to at least completely research them before answering!

This is not just a problem with the VW, Porsche, Audi, BMW & MBZ dealers - but even at the Big 3 dealers.

My nephew works at a very large ford dealership in IN, & even the sales force there could not tell me the tow ratings for the Ford Edge, Explorer, Flex, etc. when I was in their for a Rousch event my nephew was busy hosting in 2012 - & both initially told me that they couldn't tow more than 1500# until we looked in their own sales brochures!

I mean really .... REALLY!!

Bottom line - don't trust what the sales guy focused on the sale .... & up-selling you, nor what the too busy & probably unfamiliar with towing service writer tells you!

Dig deeper grasshopper!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #417
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
I know more about fungal genetics than chassis and hitch design, but here is my attempt to explain:
The Cayenne and Touareg have a unibody frame construction so the hitch bolts directly into the rear of the vehicle rather than at various points along the frame. A WDH has leverage forces that pry against the downward force of the trailer tongue to level out the rear of the vehicle and the trailer. This lever force can possibly rip the hitch off the back of the Cayenne or Touareg. Over leverage (that is a weight distribution system rated for more tongue or hitch weight), in very rare cases, has even been known to bend the frame of the tow vehicle.
NOPE!

He's right, & Porsche, VW & Audi did design their SUVs to tow at the stated ratings, & to use WD/AS.

The Owner's Manuals & dealer mis-information is due to their not properly editing out the EU/Uk applicable info on WD. The Porsche TSBs & Service Manuals in fact do have the information on towing with WD, as well as on the legally required certification stickers on the factory sold hitch receivers, as noted above.

While your comments on how the WD hitch works, you are in fact incorrect about the effects on the Cayenne/Treg/Q7. However, in many cases unibody design is stronger than body-on-frame, since it spreads the forces throughout - rather than just the frame resisting them.

Certainly towing ANY trailer, with ANY hitch on ANY TV will put more stress on the TV than just driving them, & you'll wear out parts sooner on any of them, & you'll have higher maintenance costs.

But then, the same is true if you AX or Track your CayT!

Read the sticker on your CayT's hitch, as per my post above.

If you doubt me, then find a Certified Porsche Tech who actually know towing to ask. There are at least 2 who have posted earlier on this thread, with whom I've personally spoken on these matters. You may be able to PM them to ask directly.

What they did say is that the bigger/heavier trailers will put more strain on the Cayennes, but then so will it on a F150/250!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 03-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #418
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
You are correct. This issue has nothing to do with the country of origin of the TV. It has to do with chassis and hitch design.

If the vehicle is body-on-frame (BOF), weight distribution hitches (WDH) are almost universally allowed. Unibody vehicles, however, allow or disallow WDH on a case by case basis depending, it seems, on hitch and unibody design. Dodge durango (American vehicle) is a unibody vehicle and WDH is allowed. Benz GL (European vehicle) is also a unibody vehicle that allows WDH. Ford Transit (American vehicle) is a unibody vehicle and does NOT allow WDH. Touareg/Cayenne/Q7/X5 (European vehicles) are unibody vehicles and do not allow WDH.

Attached see a Touareg hitch. Its very stout. However, its connected to unibody via 8 bolts. Thats it. Applying WDH will put an immense amount of pressure on those bolts. I read somewhere on a VW forum that VW initially allowed the use of WDH, yet saw signs of stress in hitch unibody connection and disallowed WDH then. Now look at Mercedes hitch. It has 2 large support arms (highlighted) that go into a unibody recess and are bolted there. This is on top of the 8 bolts. These arms provides a stout hitch unibody connection and also provide leverage for WDH bars/chains.

You can buy weight distribution hitches in Europe. They are not illegal -- I guess myths die hard.

https://www.goldrv.co.uk/parts/20/hi...ibuting-hitch/

Most Euro Caravans do not need a WDH. When you drop 1000# on the ball, the rear axle could be overloaded, and the front axle get toolight (bad for steering and braking). Thats why a WDH is needed. Euro Caravans have 250# tongue weight, which neither lightens the front axle nor overloads the rear axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toareg_hitch.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	282339   Click image for larger version

Name:	GL_hitch.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	282340  

rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #419
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
NOPE!

He's right, & Porsche, VW & Audi did design their SUVs to tow at the stated ratings, & to use WD/AS.

The Owner's Manuals & dealer mis-information is due to their not properly editing out the EU/Uk applicable info on WD. The Porsche TSBs & Service Manuals in fact do have the information on towing with WD, as well as on the legally required certification stickers on the factory sold hitch receivers, as noted above.

While your comments on how the WD hitch works, you are in fact incorrect about the effects on the Cayenne/Treg/Q7. However, in many cases unibody design is stronger than body-on-frame, since it spreads the forces throughout - rather than just the frame resisting them.

Certainly towing ANY trailer, with ANY hitch on ANY TV will put more stress on the TV than just driving them, & you'll wear out parts sooner on any of them, & you'll have higher maintenance costs.

But then, the same is true if you AX or Track your CayT!

Read the sticker on your CayT's hitch, as per my post above.

If you doubt me, then find a Certified Porsche Tech who actually know towing to ask. There are at least 2 who have posted earlier on this thread, with whom I've personally spoken on these matters. You may be able to PM them to ask directly.

What they did say is that the bigger/heavier trailers will put more strain on the Cayennes, but then so will it on a F150/250!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Ok. I'll check the sticker on the hitch later. If WD ratings are listed, then you can tell me what your favorite WD hitch is and I will buy one. I'm out of warranty anyway.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #420
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
All a WD hitch does is counteract the forces on the hitch receiver created by the trailer tongue weight. To the extent those forces are counteracted, the loads on the receiver will be lower.