Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #241
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
NOTE - This is Re the Porsche 3.0L TDI issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
It is 6 years / 100,000 miles.

Covers:
Engine
Fuel / Cooling system
Power train / Transmission
Suspension / Steering
Brake system
Heating / Air condition
Electrical Systems
Body
Comfort Electronics

Not shabby, particularly with keeping in mind how expensive a warranty extension with P actually is...
That sounds pretty good, so long as they also get a quick software fix that satisfies the CA & other states' smog cops!

PS - when I read up on the Porsche CPO - they go out a max. of 10 years from new, with any vehicle still under the original new car warranty able to have the remaining years & miles out to 10 years/100,000 miles tacked on. Otherwise it's a 2 year CPO with another 50k I think.

So it sounds like the sweet spot on buying a Porsche - is to forego the new car & it's 25% loss of value when you drive it off the lot with a 48 month/50,000 mile new car wrranty - & instead buy one at 1-3 years old with low miles & get the max CPO out to 10 years/100,000 miles!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #242
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bldog View Post
We bought a 2014 Touareg TDI last fall for the newly purchased 22' Sport.
New to towing an RV we used an EZ lift hitch and the Touareg towed as if nothing was in back of it.
After 3 weekends we upgraded to an International 23FB keeping the EZ lift hitch. There was no appreciable difference in towing, in fact the heavier 23 was smoother and easier to back down.
We wound up with over 4000 miles of towing this summer without any worries.
I think the pairing is perfect, there wasn't any instance where I thought we needed more....not even a larger trailer.

That's good to hear!

We just pulled the trigger on a 23fb but had to leave it at the dealer because the dang rf brake controller from Tekonsha was malfunctioning - we couldn't get it to pair on any of the three vehicles we tried. So it's back next weekend.

but

caw
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #243
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_kelly View Post
That's good to hear!

We just pulled the trigger on a 23fb but had to leave it at the dealer because the dang rf brake controller from Tekonsha was malfunctioning - we couldn't get it to pair on any of the three vehicles we tried. So it's back next weekend.

but

caw
Chris,

It's probably not the Tekonsha RF - but a problem with it "speaking" to the Treg/Cay/Q7 system to allow it to pair.

Apparently the Euro SUVs require an adapter in the 7-pin line to allow the Tekonsha RF to work with the Taureg, Cayenne & Audi Q& & probably the Q5/S5 & Macan too.

Member Uncle Boo had posted it on Lia G's thread on her Treg (he was in Denver IIRC), but I can't find where he emailed the item p/n for that adapter to me (it may be on my old laptop).

Check with Tekonsha &/or a local trailer shop, & tell them the vehicle so they can recco the adapter required. IIRC it's also required for their under dash units too, or something similar for the under dash connections.

There was another earlier post on here I think too about that.

Someone else please chime in! Uncle Boo!?

PS - I just PM'ed Uncle Boo & asked him to post that part on this thread for everyone using the Tekonsha RF.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 03-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #244
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Chris,

It's probably not the Tekonsha RF - but a problem with it "speaking" to the Treg/Cay/Q7 system to allow it to pair.

Apparently the Euro SUVs require an adapter in the 7-pin line to allow the Tekonsha RF to work with the Taureg, Cayenne & Audi Q& & probably the Q5/S5 & Macan too.

Member Uncle Boo had posted it on Lia G's thread on her Treg (he was in Denver IIRC), but I can't find where he emailed the item p/n for that adapter to me (it may be on my old laptop).

Check with Tekonsha &/or a local trailer shop, & tell them the vehicle so they can recco the adapter required. IIRC it's also required for their under dash units too, or something similar for the under dash connections.

There was another earlier post on here I think too about that.

Someone else please chime in! Uncle Boo!?

PS - I just PM'ed Uncle Boo & asked him to post that part on this thread for everyone using the Tekonsha RF.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////

I saw that and had the seven to seven way adaptor in place on the vehicle side - that was supposed to be the fix. In my techno speak I'd say no workey.

Just sucks because that means another eight hour drive there and back to get out aluminum dream.

In the mean time I'm returning the Tekonsha and getting a hard wired brake controller. Not looking forward to finding the plug but in the long run it may be worth it. I just ordered the curt triflex and the connector from ecs. Anyone have the proper wiring schematic for curt's? I'm on the mobile app and it doesn't have a good search function

caw
Old 03-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #245
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Oh so close :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1457869910.740490.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	258666

caw
Old 03-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #246
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
I saw that and had the seven to seven way adaptor in place on the vehicle side - that was supposed to be the fix. In my techno speak I'd say no workey.

Just sucks because that means another eight hour drive there and back to get out aluminum dream.

In the mean time I'm returning the Tekonsha and getting a hard wired brake controller. Not looking forward to finding the plug but in the long run it may be worth it. I just ordered the curt triflex and the connector from ecs. Anyone have the proper wiring schematic for curt's? I'm on the mobile app and it doesn't have a good search function

caw
Chris,

You'll still have issues with the hard wired unit, & will need the factory brake adapter harness for your Treg. VW was supposed to include the inter wiring harness in the glove box on the Tregs ordered with the tow option - same with Porsche & Audi "cousins" - but apparently the dealers seem to "forget" to leave them in the cars, then like to sell them separately.

A simple google search turns up issues with both RF & hardwired, as well as fixes for both (see below).

It's not the 7-plug adapter alone (see below), which does work for the trailer's power, lights & brakes when using the under dash brake controller - but ANY controller needs an adapter.

Note that you also need to follow the pairing process exactly as in the directions, to get it to pair the first time. Once paired to a vehicle, the RF remembers it from there on.

So before you go returning the RF - talk to Tekonsha, eTrailer & some others. There is probably nothing wrong with it. Also, the Tekonsha RF or Prodigy are better units than the Curt, from what I've heard & read.

Note that even the under dash brake controller will need the adapter which Porsche/VW/Audi sells with the SUVs for use in the US. Their electrical systems & onboard computers are Euro Spec.

You're wasting time & money running this around, when there is a proper adapter - in addition to the one you put on - which allows the RF to pair!

I found the part info from member Uncle BOO:
"OK the part did the trick! It's an add-on to the 7 pin connector provided by my hitch installer. "7 to 7 Adapter with Resistance: Part #D20142". If you have any questions please contact Lampert Hitch in Denver, CO. 303.433-8746 and ask for Jason.
Happy Trails!
Boo"

Also, there are several advice posts on how to pair at etrailer & other Treg forums out there, if you still have trouble pairing. Here are a couple of them:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-43386.html

https://www.etrailer.com/question-77832.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=Teko...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You might find this thread helpful too, if you've not seen it yet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...3d-139564.html

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 03-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #247
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Arrow Tekonsha RF & Other Brake Controller Adapters

OK, I'm adding this info. in a separate post with it's own title, so folks can find it - including me when my "half-zymers" kicks in!

The Porsche Cayenne/Macan, VW Touareg & Audi Q7/Q5/Q7 have "smart systems" which not only sense bulb out on the TV & trailer, but also automatically senses when it's towing & automatically puts the TV into tow mode (instead of the button on the auto shifter in a Ford F150 to engage the tow mode, for example). They're also made for European & "Rest of World" standards, as well as having these types of premium or luxury SUV features (apparently some domestic & asian ones have the same issues).

Additionally, LED lights on trailers can have insufficient current draw being so effecient, that the bulb/light-out function can't operate properly without an adapter (resistor), so that interferes with the RF's pairing.

Also be aware that for these VW Group SUVs, there is supposed to be an adapter from the factory for the under-dash hardwired controllers as part of their respective towing options, which is supposed to be left in the glove box with the other owner manuals/etc. They are also available for sale from the dealers, if you added the factory tow bar later. You may also still need the part below - as with the Tekonsha RF - to have it work properly.

There are folks who can't find the brake controller harness, & this is why - you have to plug the factory adapter/harness in to connect the hardwired brake controlers. Don't just hack it in nor let some shop do it for you, bec ause you'll cause all sorts of other electrical gremlins, & may negae your original or factory CPO warranty! Use the right parts - not short cuts, or suffer later!

I found the correct 7-pin adapter with the proper resistance part info from member Uncle Boo:
"OK the part did the trick! It's an add-on to the 7 pin connector provided by my hitch installer. "7 to 7 Adapter with Resistance: Part #D20142". If you have any questions please contact Lampert Hitch in Denver, CO. 303.433-8746 and ask for Jason.
Happy Trails!
Boo"

Reese Part -
7 to 7 Adapter with Resistance: Part #D20142:
http://www.reeseprod.com/products/el...YujSD7p3o39Qjz!

EDIT - ADDED Part with review at eTrailer on solving the Tekonsha RF pairing problem with this adapter - scroll down the reviews for it ....

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

Also, there are several advice posts on how to pair at etrailer & other Treg forums out there, if you still have trouble pairing. Here are a couple of them:

Hope this helps folks dealing with getting their Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 etc. brake controllers set up!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 03-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #248
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Chris,

You'll still have issues with the hard wired unit, & will need the factory brake adapter harness for your Treg. VW was supposed to include the inter wiring harness in the glove box on the Tregs ordered with the tow option - same with Porsche & Audi "cousins" - but apparently the dealers seem to "forget" to leave them in the cars, then like to sell them separately.
Yeah, mine didn't have that but it does have the factory tow package - I was able to locate the dreaded connector with foam. Are you saying there's another pigtail I'm missing?

Too late as I sent the RF controller back. Those were some of the links we had used at the dealership to troubleshoot - I really do appreciate you posting them here for everyone else.

The 7-to-7 I had purchased from eTrailer was this one - I suppose it wasn't the correct one?

About the led lights - we had a T@G with led's on it already and hadn't noticed any blinking or other problems - do you suppose this will still be an issue?

Quote:
A simple google search turns up issues with both RF & hardwired, as well as fixes for both (see below).

It's not the 7-plug adapter alone (see below), which does work for the trailer's power, lights & brakes when using the under dash brake controller - but ANY controller needs an adapter.
What do you mean by adaptor? I intend to hardwire the controller in using the Tekonsha TB0021 found on eTrailer and as a pdf.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
So before you go returning the RF - talk to Tekonsha, eTrailer & some others. There is probably nothing wrong with it. Also, the Tekonsha RF or Prodigy are better units than the Curt, from what I've heard & read.
Too late ... I really wanted to like it but we really did try everything ... well, except for that specific part you mentioned.

Quote:
Note that even the under dash brake controller will need the adapter which Porsche/VW/Audi sells with the SUVs for use in the US. Their electrical systems & onboard computers are Euro Spec.
Do you have a VWAG/Audi/Porsche part number?

Quote:

You might find this thread helpful too, if you've not seen it yet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...3d-139564.html

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Seriously thanks for the help! This is exactly why Airstreamer's are an awesome group of people!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #249
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Cayenne Hitch & Tow Parts & Brake Adapter Parts

OK - for Chris & All,

Here are the parts which I've collected links for our eventual 2008-12/13 Cayenne S - these are the 2008-10 version parts. Hopefully it will also give the later Cayenne 2011-14 7 15-16 owners, & the Treg & Q7 folks an idea of what to look or ask for thru the respective dealers.

Ergo, keep in mind that so far I'm speaking from researching the subject, & from checking with others who have done this on their own of the 3 VW, Audi & Porsche "cousins" - I've not gone through it myself .... yet!

BTW - both Sunset Porsche & Suncoast Porsche tend to have some of the best discounted parts prices all year round of all the P-dealers (local dealers may give PCA members a discount too, so ask).

> 7-pin Connector/Adapter for Euro SUVs with bulb-out detection, etc.:

Again, this is the Reese p/n: 20142 LED Sensor Bypass 7-way Adapter which Treg owner & member Uncle Boo on here had work for him to get the Tekonsha RF to pair & function properly:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

From Chris' difficulty with the Curt part C57003 on his Treg & RF unit - which was supposed to do the same function - I'd say forget about that one!

> Under-dash Brake Controller Installation Adapter:

For those who prefer the under dash mounted & hardwired brake controllers - the Porsche part for the wiring harness adapter is this one at the link below, & it should come with your Cayenne owners manual/keys/etc. package or in the glove box when you order the factory tow option ("Hitch without ball" or whatever goofy name they give it).

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK955PLUG.html

> Factory Hitch for Later Installation:

If you have a 2004> Cayenne pre-wired for the factory tow option, but the option wasn't ordered on your vehicle (or one you're looking at buying), then the factory part can be added for about $900 + 3 hours of labor by the dealer from what I've been told. Some mechanically adept owners have installed themselves, but you still need to go to the P-dealer to reflash the Cayenne's system to recognize the towing option & adjust the engine/trans/suspension ECUs' mapping.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95504400274.html

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...he/95504400274

> Additional Porsche Towing Parts & Accessories:

Note that you'll probably also need the 7-way connector listed on the first link (or similar), unless there is already a USA version 7-way connector installed by the dealer, PO, or somebody. There are also hitch covers & other parts in these two, but also cruise around their websites for whatever other parts &/or accessories that you may need.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU955TPLUG.html
(I believe this is a Euro-style 7-pin connector to USA 7-blade adapter/connector)

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/9552V8_tow.html

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/in...tsubgrp=towing

So how about the Audi Q7 & VW Touareg owners out there adding the comparable equipment for your SUVs, so that others can find them for reference!?

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 03-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #250
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
I use a tekonsha RF with my 2012 Cayenne S, and i had to get an external test plug to trick it into pairing. the process is a little fuzzy, but basically you plug it in and then swap at a certain point and after that it all works fine. i believe that etrailer connector adapter would be an optimal choice however - and i might get one in fact just so i can leave it plugged in and the lights off and not get that 'flashing' on the LED lights.
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #251
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Audi Q5 space is at a premium. I could not imagine a brake controller device hanging by my knees so I went in search of an alternative. The search led me to the Redarc "Tow Pro" which installs quickly and easily onto the pre-wired plug under the dash on the Q5, Touareg, et al...
All that can be seen when you have completed the install is the small, adjustable, back lit rheostat that also acts as a manual trailer brake by pushing it. I was fortunate to find the perfect spot to bolt the controller box to one of the metal under dash support brackets.
As for connecting to the supplied 4 wire plug, I used crimp on spades that were covered sufficiently to protect against shorting. The spades fit tightly and will not fall out on their own.
I can likely reverse engineer the install and get some pictures fairly easily to show where I put everything if anyone is interested.

One Caution... The Redarc controller DOES back-feed the brake-light circuit when you push the manual control button. Not sure if this is a problem for some but for me, back-feeding the circuit does not activate the brake lights and apparently German Cars do not work this way. I guess the Audi towing unit will be seeing a voltage down the brake light trigger wire which is NOT designed to be bidirectional. It seems to be reverse diode protected as it has done no harm to the q5. SO your TT brake lights MAY not activate when you apply the trailer brakes manually.

And an observation, the LED trailer lights DO flash on my TT when I am parked with the ignition and TV lights off. I would call it more of a pulse, very definitely happening to ALL lights about once every 5 or so seconds. The trailer brake controller also remains active the whole time it is plugged into the trailer. This likely has to do with the smart trailer recognition system on the TV periodically looking down the line at the connection.

I hope that this helps out someone looking for alternatives.

Kevin

PS... One of my coworkers and I both purchased the Redarc from different Australian sources at the same time. Prices were comparable to high end locally available equipment and were received within a week of purchase. My co-worker uses his on a 2012 BMW X5 towing a 2015 30 foot Jayco. The install on the BMW was a little more complex with the controller box going in one of the rear fender trims (near the towing module) and remote wiring the activation and control button to the front of the X5. Once at the front, the button could only go one spot (behind the Turn Signal lever) on the dash as the thickness of the plastic and padding was too thick everywhere else. Also, you require a couple of inches of clearance behind the control knob so keep than in mind when looking for a location to mount it.
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #252
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
Audi Q5 space is at a premium. I could not imagine a brake controller device hanging by my knees so I went in search of an alternative. The search led me to the Redarc "Tow Pro" which installs quickly and easily onto the pre-wired plug under the dash on the Q5, Touareg, et al...
All that can be seen when you have completed the install is the small, adjustable, back lit rheostat that also acts as a manual trailer brake by pushing it. I was fortunate to find the perfect spot to bolt the controller box to one of the metal under dash support brackets.
Kevin,

That's one of the main reasons folks go with the Tekonsha RF - since the brake controller box itself mounts on the trailer's A-frame, then you only have a hand-held control unit (about the size of an old school CB or Radio Mic) which plugs into a 12v/Cigarette-Lighter socket on the dash/center console with a pig-tail cord, & keep it close at hand in case you have to bump the manual brake boost button in an emergency stop, etc.

I find that hand held unit much easier to keep at hand in my lap while driving if needed, than taking my eyes off the road &/or reaching for the boost/manual brake button on or under the dash.

I initially got the Tekonsha RF because we were planning to rent TVs for a while (maybe permanently), so I didn't have to find a TV rental with a brake controller.

Yours sounds like a nice & compact dash unit.

Thanx for the info!
Tom
///////
Old 03-17-2016, 12:51 AM   #253
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458197272.160009.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	258900Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458197324.484448.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	258902Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458197356.383462.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	258903Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458197428.221740.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	258904

Got some great pictures last week with the R50 and the Globe Traveler project together...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #254
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Under-dash Brake Controller Installation Adapter:

Wiring guide for the Tekonsha brake controller:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx

Wiring Harness Connector (You need 1):
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...2782/ES311294/

Wires (You need 2):
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...228/ES1009146/

You will also need a wire cutter, crimper and butt splices.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #255
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
[QUOTE=vinstream;1763506Got some great pictures last week with the R50 and the Globe Traveler project together...[/QUOTE]

Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #256
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Mercedes ML/GL has knee airbags under the dash, so the brake controller cannot be installed there. You may want to check if Cayenne/Q7/Touareg have knee airbags or not. If they do, I guess you must find an alternate location to install the controller.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #257
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Mercedes ML/GL has knee airbags under the dash, so the brake controller cannot be installed there. You may want to check if Cayenne/Q7/Touareg have knee airbags or not. If they do, I guess you must find an alternate location to install the controller.

Thanks!

I checked when I had half the dash unscrewed so I can reach the dang dongle!

caw
Old 03-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #258
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Trip report: Cayenne S (2012) + Airstream 28'
It's our second trip - this time to Death Valley.
Wind warning on the way - sway was minimal - even when on single lane and large Class-A's passing from other direction.

Based on what i had previously towed (FC20) and Andy's (CanAm) recommendation, i have the following setup:

Eaz-Lift with 1400 bars + Sway
Modified (shortened) hitch with Welded Ball Mount (CanAm mod and shipped to me)
Michelin 15's and removed Spare.

I never felt unsafe, never felt underpowered. Even doing some minor off-road to boondocking was perfect.

The Cayenne S GVWR and Tow ability is seriously amazing. thanks to Andy for the setup advice and confidence to tow a 28' International with my Porsche!!

chris
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #259
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Thanks!

I checked when I had half the dash unscrewed so I can reach the dang dongle!

caw
No problem. Better late than never!
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #260
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Attachment 258900Attachment 258902Attachment 258903Attachment 258904

Got some great pictures last week with the R50 and the Globe Traveler project together...
Sweet rig & hauls serious booty with that V10 TDI!

Cheers!
Tom
///////