Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
Porsche Cayenne V6 or s

someone tow a airstream with porsche cayenne 6 or 8 cylinders ?

We look to buy a 25' or 27' airstream model

I take a look to the market for a use porsche cayenne 2006 -07 -08 and the price is so cheaper then a merceds ml 320 cdi or bluethech 2009 -10

so may be we think to buy a porsche but some questions ....

first mile per gallon when I will tow but the purchase price still 10k less so a lot of money to buy gaz !!! good ideal ?

second cost to maintain the cayenne and hard to find deal in north america when we travling ?

Thirdly best buy the v6 or the 8 ? my friend told me the v8 is more power and less in gaz and on the v6 still too limit and cost more gaz when I will tow

one option that seems very much on the cayenne is the air suspension .. is it a good idea to find a userone with this option ?

I realy love the model and want to make the right choice !!!!

thank you for you help
socool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
I dont know when Porche came out with a v6 turbo diesel, but our 2014 Cayenne tows the same if not better than our V8 and gets better gas mileage.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Cayenne S V8 or Diesel V6

We're in the same situation looking for a Cayenne S in the early 2003-06 Series 1, or 2008-10 Series 2 - in low miles & well cared for. So I've done a bunch of research & talked to many Cayenne owners who tow, many within our local Porsche club.

My preference is for the normally aspirated "basic" V8 S model which will work less hard than a V6 gas powered one, and with few extras to complicate repairs later, so I don't really care if it has GTS, Turbo, Air Suspension, etc.

The V6 Diesel will tow fine, but the V6 gas will work harder & therefore use more gas to tow, but saves gas when not towing - but not by much. Unfortunately the USA didn't get the Deisel until 2013 - so they're all still very new & pricey, and for the $50-60,000+ I see them selling for now, I can buy a lot of premium gas for the extra $20-40,000 difference between a nice 03-06 in the $10-25,000 or $25-35,000 for an `08-10 one!

Repair & maintenance will be at Porsche prices - so not as cheap as some other SUVs, but not really that much more than say Toyota or other prices nowadays.

The series 1 Cayenne S V8 needs to have several things done to even consider it: the plastic engine coolant pipes on the engine need to be updated to the metal type (series 2 changed this from the factory), the ignition coils/sparkplugs needs to be updated, the Kardan Shaft bearings (drive shaft) need to be checked & replaced if needed, and the front upper ball joints apparently can wear out around 40-60,000 miles. Both series 1, 2 & 3 should have had all required maintenance & fluids changed as factory recommended with factory specified parts by a qualified technition (or better/more often). The seller should have detailed records of all of this, as well as to verify the mileage on the vehicle is as claimed.

You're own Canadian "RV Lifestyle" magazine has done a couple of test tow with Cayenne articles under their "Hitch Hints" section, and the writer runs a trailer & tow vehicle preparation center in Ontario - between you in QB & Toronto. Look the articles up online to read them, and maybe give a call to them for some hitch issues & how it worked for them.

Also check with your local Porsche club for other Cayenne owners, and at some local independent Porsche repair shops thru the club for some feedback & what to look for, as well as to check over any Cayenne you seriously consider buying. If they're a good well recommended shop, they'll probably end up working on it for you.

Good Luck!
Tom (the husband )
///////
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
thank you so mutch

yes diesel in canada its only in 2013 so too mutch money !!

You give me great point and ideal and I will make more reserch !!

I fall in love with the porsche cayenne 08 S verson

thank you and happy to tow my new airstream soon
Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
The 2006 Cayene S Titanium Edition was really nice too and offered some extra paint colors, and would be fine so long as it was properly maintained & the coolant pipes were updated to metal.
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I finaly but a v6 cayenne 08

the price and the condition is realy good

I will make my first trip one the next week and hope the engine will not be to hard ..

Just for some information ..if you want to tow with a cayenne you must buy the original hitch from porsche to tow 7712 pounds otherwise curt model only 6000 pounds and need to stabilized it ... so more money again

If you are lucky like me ... you will find one in a scrap place for less ....
Old 12-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Congrats on your new Porsche.

The tongue weight of your desired trailer is going to EXCEED the 600 lb. rating of the Curt hitch by hundreds of pounds. If you add on a WD hitch with sway control that number will increase by another 100 - 200 lbs. Even Porsche's factory tow-package is likely to be much too light for this job. What is the advertised maximum tongue weight of the Porsche hitch (maybe 750)?

Real world tongue weights are almost always significantly greater than advertised. My tongue weight is almost 550 lbs vs. the factory's 350 lb. claim. If I strap a fancy WD hitch on my trailer I will exceed your Curt's maximum rating by 150 lbs. (that's with a 16' trailer). Your situation, unfortunately, is going to be much worse. In fact your advertised hitch weight for a 25' trailer is about 500 lbs. I bet it will exceed 750 lbs., and could be close to 900lbs. once you're ready to roll down the road with all of the fluids topped off and your stuff loaded into the trailer! A 27' trailer is going to be even worse.

Besides the hitch being a limiting factor I bet that your Porsche's rear tires and rear wheels aren't up to the task either.

I recommend that you put the brakes on, and give careful consideration to what you are doing before you spend a bunch of money or damage your new vehicle(s) while putting yourself and others at risk.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool69 View Post

you must buy the original hitch from porsche to tow 7712 pounds otherwise curt model only 6000 pounds and need to stabilized it ... so more money again

If you are lucky like me ... you will find one in a scrap place for less ....
Cool. Keep us informed about your modifications and post some pictures!

It looks like the used hitch may be the way to go as it is integrated with the bumper.

08 10 Porsche Cayenne Rear Inner Bumper Impact Bar with Hitch | eBay
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Congrats on your new Porsche.

The tongue weight of your desired trailer is going to EXCEED the 600 lb. rating of the Curt hitch by hundreds of pounds. If you add on a WD hitch with sway control that number will increase by another 100 - 200 lbs. Even Porsche's factory tow-package is likely to be much too light for this job. What is the advertised maximum tongue weight of the Porsche hitch (maybe 750)?

Real world tongue weights are almost always significantly greater than advertised. My tongue weight is almost 550 lbs vs. the factory's 350 lb. claim. If I strap a fancy WD hitch on my trailer I will exceed your Curt's maximum rating by 150 lbs. (that's with a 16' trailer). Your situation, unfortunately, is going to be much worse. In fact your advertised hitch weight for a 25' trailer is about 500 lbs. I bet it will exceed 750 lbs., and could be close to 900lbs. once you're ready to roll down the road with all of the fluids topped off and your stuff loaded into the trailer! A 27' trailer is going to be even worse.

Besides the hitch being a limiting factor I bet that your Porsche's rear tires and rear wheels aren't up to the task either.

I recommend that you put the brakes on, and give careful consideration to what you are doing before you spend a bunch of money or damage your new vehicle(s) while putting yourself and others at risk.
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs) 7716
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs) 772
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs) 7716
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs) 1157
Maximum Trailering Capacity (lbs) 7716

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Mojo, I'm curious as to where you got this info. Cayenne user manual states 617# for max tongue weight.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...yenne_pcna.pdf

Its on page 356.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Porsche Cayenne Specs: 2015 Porsche Cayenne Specifications and Options

Old 12-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
Wayward its exactly what I buy !!! integred in the bumpber dont forget AUDI VW and BMW is the same part...

sorry no pic already done

It s take over one houre and half to fix it !!

now ready to tow my new AS
Old 12-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
It's Porsh-Ah

Boston , Massachusetts
Those look like poorly interpreted marketing specs, what it's saying max with weight distribution looks like the maximum vehicle load depending on options, that would be the difference between a dry stripped model with no driver and the gvw. I'll see if I can find the actual technical numbers on monday, but I have never seen a weight distribution figure provided by porsche, I tried to explain in the other thread how jumbled specs become between the marketing department and the genglish translation.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I install a hensley and weight distribution bat 1400 lbs

I think its perfect for me and I like how its east to tow !!

For me too many number ..... hope Im not in problem now

the engine dont go over 2100 rpm at 55 - 60 m/h so ....

will see what mile per gallon wil do !!!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool69 View Post

the price and the condition is realy good

I will make my first trip one the next week and hope the engine will not be to hard ..
I wouldn't worry about the V6. It is more than sufficient to tow 7700 lbs. VW/Porsche's gearing selections were carefully done. The V8 would be a bit faster, not downshift as much, and run at lower revs. However, the V6 will do the job just fine if you are patient.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Good information that I don't think is good information:

First: I trust Porsche's advertised numbers more than Autoguide's. 617 lbs. is the magic answer until I see some Porsche literature to corroborate Autoguide's.

Second: Think about it. There is no way that a Cayenne S has over 1100 lbs of allowable tongue weight when using WD. That is more than most 3/4 ton trucks.

Third: You are using 2015 numbers for a 2008 vehicle.

Fourth: If the loaded trailer's tongue weight exceeds 957 lbs. (likely?) and we use Autoguide's questionable numbers, then installing a Hensley hitch will still put this setup over the limits.

I still say don't do it.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Good information that I don't think is good information:
Agreed. Everything printed regarding the translation of weights and specs from European standards to American standards is subject to speculation and interpretation. The owners manuals are known to have many errors. But Cayenne and Touareg specs and weights are quite similar. They share many of the same parts and build standards although Porsche owners deny it because they paid $10K more for the Cayenne.

Anyway I have been towing AS with Touaregs for 7 years now and average around 15K miles per year with F150 and Touareg. I have learned how to load my trailer and car to distribute the weight to my satisfaction. And it works. I have spoken with Canam about reinforcement but do not believe it is necessary. This is my real world experience.

Tell us about towing your 16' Bambi with your Cayenne?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg 770#.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	229420  

Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I agree with you MOJO....
I have spoken with Canam about reinforcement but do not believe it is necessary. This is my real world experience.

I will keep you in touch

but the first trip was so easy....

may be in the long way ...

thank hyou
Old 12-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Tell us about towing your 16' Bambi with your Cayenne?
That's just absurd. You, fine sir, are deserving of one big old chill pill. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm delighted that you've found a way to convince yourself that your TV/TT combo is safe. My purpose for posting on this topic was to try to protect the OP from his own enthusiasm. His setup will not be safe as described.

I don't want to be the poor guy who is following the OP when his hitch separates from his TV. Do you?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hitches never separate at highway speed it always happens when going slowly through a dip like entering a gas station or a rough campsite. There have been many GM truck hitches that have broken off and that is always where it has occurred.

I think the VW / Porsche hitch is fine for a 19, It would be a good idea to strengthen it for a 25'. Removing the spare and relocating the batteries is another option but fixing the hitch is easier.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote