Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2006, 03:49 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Pickup caps what to look for & what brands are good/bad

I'm just getting '07 2500 pickup this week and I'm starting to shop for a cap.

Any brands to avoid?

Also any considerations as to the areodynamics of these with the A/S?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I'm just getting '07 2500 pickup this week and I'm starting to shop for a cap. Any brands to avoid? Also any considerations as to the areodynamics of these with the A/S?
Hi Bob:

Take a serious look at utility type caps, also called workman caps, that have two vertically hinged swing out doors (with windows) on the rear instead of a lift up top gate, and also have lift up side panels with a window on the passenger side for "what's over there" visibility while driving. These provide better access to the stuff in the pickup bed without you having to crawl into the bed on your knees to retrieve things beyond your arm reach over a lowered tailgate.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I saw those but they want $700 extra for the back door option, it isn't worth that to me.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I'm just getting '07 2500 pickup this week and I'm starting to shop for a cap.

Any brands to avoid?

Also any considerations as to the areodynamics of these with the A/S?
I have an A.R.E. fiberglass cap (my second one) and am very satisfied with it.

I've also owned a Lear cap, and never had any problems with it either, however one of my friends has a Lear and has had some problems with the door latch/rear window coming apart, and had to have it in for repairs several times.

My cap is cab high and I've never had any aerodynamics issues (that I know of) towing my Airstream. I would have gotten one that was higher in the back except it wouldn't fit under my garage door.

I also have a removable aluminum ladder rack that's over the cap and extends over my truck cab. I keep it on during the summer when we're in Montana, and use it to transport my inflatable cataraft. It works fine, even when towing the Airstream.

John
Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hey, Bob.
I have a Leer 100XQ on my Sierra 2500HD CC. It's really pretty nice. I like the clean lines....no exposed hinges, etc.

I like that the front window flips down from the inside -- so you can easily clean the rear window of the cab.

The rear latch is a bit snug...in part from the added thickness on the tailgate from the Line-X. But I guess I prefer snug over loose and rattle-y.

It has been solid as a rock otherwise. I have the flip-down clothes hangers on the ceiling - I've only used them a couple of times, but if you have something that MUST hang, it's convenient. Only a couple of bucks.

I also have the locking box - it's long, technically a gun box, I suppose...it's fairly flat, up against the underside of the roof on the left. Essentially, it's a nice, long shelf (over 3 feet long) with a locking door - good for flares, cables, light...the usual stuff, so it doesn't roll around in the back of the truck. It all stays up there, out of the way - and it's not visible if you look in the windows. For that matter, people barely notice it if they're looking in from the open window.

Make sure you have a light inside.

Having a cap on the truck will actually help wind buffeting - so it theoreticlly helps aerodynamics a bit...especially with a trailer (I'm not a physics major, but this is what I've come to understand). The Leer Model 122 (or similar) - with the roof that is raised toward the back - would give you a bit more headroom and even more wind buffeting - at the expense of different visual lines and a taller truck. I do like that I can fit my truck into most parking garages.

If you don't want an actual utility cap - you can get many of the standard ones with flip - up side windows (or panels that replace standard side windows) on one or both sides. Gives easy access to what's in the bed.

What brands have you been looking at? Most retailers seem to sell more than one brand...and if you feel they're being honest, they can often steer you toward (or away from) certain brands that they sell. 'Course, they'll ALWAYS steer you away from the brands their competitors sell.

I was on the fence between ARE and Leer after much consideration. The biggest thing that steered me toward Leer was that I found more people with complaints about ARE - usually regarding paint matches. I'm sure there are TONS of pleople with perfect ARE caps that have PERFECT paint matches (I don't mean to start a flame waR), but that was what I found, and helped me make my decision. I REALLY will stop by your place soon, so you can see the truck - I'm VERY happy with the cap color. That, and I REALLY want to check your trailer out!

-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I think the caps by "Jason" are the best in quality after researching and shopping for some time. "Jason" produces a full line of campers and caps, but I purchased a bed cap. The unit I purchased came painted in matching paint to that of the truck. You supply the paint code when ordering and they apply an exact match. It is hinged in the front of the bed and operates with a single locking latch positioned in the center at the rear of the cap above the tail gate latch. The model we purchased is styled to complement the lines of our truck via a raised section in the center of the cap which complements the lines of the hood up front and probably also strengthens the cap considerably. It looks like it is part of the truck when installed.

To get around limited access toward the front of the bed, especially for my wife, I bought a bed slide. We have really enjoyed this combination. The bed cap retains the pickup look of my truck and has sufficient space to store our chairs, patio rug, grill, and other camping gear without interfering with lines of sight in any way. The bed slide allows my wife to easily reach anything that is in the front of the bed when I'm not around to get it for her. We've enjoyed both of these accessories for over a year and have found both to be top notch.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I priced a ARE Mod#MX at 1270 with a $100 rebate.

Standard is Fold dn window
Carpet
tape, clamps & brake lite.

The same in Leer mod#180 at Trailer city in Riverhead was 1415 and they won't budge to match the price.

That's where I'm at at this point.

They both want 3 weeks to order one in.
I'm not leaving until after Xmas so that's fine.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Bob,
I just purchased my second ARE CH cap with Tool Boxes both sides and privacy windows. My first one gave its life in my accident. I balked at the price a little when I bought the first one. However it paid off in protecting me in the rollover accident buy hold the weight of the truck. It kept the rear of the cab from collapsing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Bob,
I just purchased my second ARE CH cap with Tool Boxes both sides and privacy windows. My first one gave its life in my accident. I balked at the price a little when I bought the first one. However it paid off in protecting me in the rollover accident buy hold the weight of the truck. It kept the rear of the cab from collapsing.
Just curious - was it fiberglass or metal?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Fiberglass, thick fiberglass.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
New problem, I need to carry a box that is 27" high 4' wide 6' long and need access into the top of it.

I tried to place that box in a truck and it is not workable at all with a solid cap like this.

This is not simple, I have to look for something else, some one told me that a canvas top is made that can be folded down.

Anyone ever see these?

Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
_

. , .
hi lipets

i have seen the collapsible cloth tops....
at the auto vendors trade show...
skip.

i opted for the a.r.e. z series shell...

http://www.4are.com/product/z/

it's nice with a fold down front window for cleaning, fuzzy lining and so on...
had the side windows tinted to 99% block...very dark looking in but visability out is still good.

it's a good cap...
all the top line ones are...
mine started peeling paint at 1 year...
and was returned to the factory for a repaint...

lifetime warranty on the paint is a good thing.

if you want a hard tonneau cover that lifts up....
a.r.e now has one that lifts straight up....pretty cool...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I found this company

It is called the Soft topper

It is only 40 lbs

Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I like that Soft Topper!
Try to find someone that has one and get some feedback...!

You do have a problem, obviously, with a solid cap.

But hey - the Bedslide idea is a good one, too - you'd be able to slide your big box out to get to the top of it...that is, as long as you don't need to do so when you have a trailer attached!

I almost bought a Z series- it IS a very nice cap.

I would love to know if you find someone with experience with the Soft Topper....
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
a bed slid might be a great idea for your "VERY SPECIFIC NEEDS". Hiway products in Oregon has what they call the Gorilla slide. Good for 2000 lbs evenly distributed. They also make custom applications as far as tool boxes and bed storage. If dollars and cents is a serious issue tho....they might be too spendy. Their products are unsurpassed in quality. http://www.800toolbox.com/
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
The biggest thing I see with the soft tops is security issues?..The best security is the tops that are solid with no way to see in. But thats just me....I first think of all the things I need then what is safe. Almost everyone I know has been robbed either on the road or setting at home. I am NOT a pessimist but carefull. Security is very important.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've had an A.R.E. topper (tonneau type) on my long-bed dually for several years now. The only problem I experienced initially was that it came equipped with an electric lock designed to work with the vehicle locks. The dealer would not even attempt to hook it up since he had experienced many problems in so doing - and recommended that I take the truck to GM. The more I looked at the hookup procedure the less interested I became. Ultimately I re-worked the lock and removed the electric actuator. I've been a happy camper ever since. The lid does rise slightly above the truck rails when closed - giving about another 2-3 inches of overhead clearance that I desperately needed to accommodate my Honda Generators on a rolling platform (---i.e. - "bed slide".)

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #18
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
The biggest thing I see with the soft tops is security issues?..The best security is the tops that are solid with no way to see in. But thats just me....I first think of all the things I need then what is safe. Almost everyone I know has been robbed either on the road or setting at home. I am NOT a pessimist but carefull. Security is very important.
I though about that also but have you seen the micky mouse locks on some of the solid tops, anyone can pop those open.

The only way to see in the softopper is through the rear window just like most tops.

If they want to steel something they will, at least my top will just get zippered back, no broken lock or glass.

I have insurance so if the worst happens big deal.

The advantages in the couple of months that I have been using it is fantastic, I can carry anything big. If I need to get a fridg, or other large package like a baby elephant all I need to do is pop the snaps it takes literally 3-4 minutes to fold it out the way, or 5 more minutes to remove it altogether.

The other nice thing is the cost-----$650 for my 8 foot bed model.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
A.R.E. top

I have the ARE top with the optional rear door. Yes, the door costs a few hundred extra, but I really like it. This totally eliminates the heavy truck tailgate, making reaching in for things much easier, and rear visibility while driving (without the trailer) much better. The cap's main door is like a liftgate, rising plenty high to take bicycles etc. in and out.

This is my first cap (other than a flat tonneau type) but I am disappointed in the construction. Caulking hangs down in one place inside, and the fold-down window has a poorly aligned aluminum frame. There is a light (one light is standard, and all you need) but the wires to the light are poorly secured. The side windows on both sides fold down for more easy access. The paint matches very nicely.

it is far more functional than a tonneau with easy bike storage and badly need storage space.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , 49505
I have an ARE Z Series. I did a lot of research and went with it because of the quality, durability and the fact that it really looked nice on my truck.

You can get the side window option where the windows fold outward, allowing you to get into the inside of your truck bed from the side. This makes accessing things like tool boxes a breeze. ARE uses auto quality locks, which are as strong/secure as you can get.

If you really want to get into your truck bed you could look into a slide like this:

Truck Bed Extender by Extendo Bed
Scotty C is offline   Reply With Quote